PDA

View Full Version : End Caps on Convertible Hubs Compatibility Question

pakora
07-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Endcaps on taiwanese-made hubs: If they fit from one make to another, can I run them?

I have DT Swiss 350 hubs with 15mm/142x12 axles that are convertible. I have no conversion caps though (wheels didn't come with them).
I have FSA Afterburner wheels with 15mm/142x12 and QR/QR caps. I want to use the latter caps on the former wheels.
I have Hope hubs with 15mm/142x12 axles and QR/QR caps. (I only just remembered these are in the parts bin)

If I use the FSA or Hope caps on the DT Swiss wheels, and they fit (and my guess is they will), will it explode? Or else I need to buy the dang DT Swiss ones for the DT Swiss hubs?

Or is it like QRs - any old one will be fine?

yinzerniner
07-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Endcaps on taiwanese-made hubs: If they fit from one make to another, can I run them?

I have DT Swiss 350 hubs with 15mm/142x12 axles that are convertible. I have no conversion caps though (wheels didn't come with them).
I have FSA Afterburner wheels with 15mm/142x12 and QR/QR caps. I want to use the latter caps on the former wheels.
I have Hope hubs with 15mm/142x12 axles and QR/QR caps. (I only just remembered these are in the parts bin)

If I use the FSA or Hope caps on the DT Swiss wheels, and they fit (and my guess is they will), will it explode? Or else I need to buy the dang DT Swiss ones for the DT Swiss hubs?

Or is it like QRs - any old one will be fine?

Caps are generally NOT compatible from one hub to another, and tolerances for the fit, operation, sealing etc are so tight you'd probably run afoul either with increased maintenance or catastrophic damage. Just get the DT caps for something like $40.

DuddyJ
07-09-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm sure its not recommended but if it was up to me I would at least try to see if there is any cross compatibility.

Nextcycling
07-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Won't work. Likely will not eve fit. The size of the bearing cover varies widely and is part of the hub seal design and is very much not standardized. On top of that the length of the end caps changes dramatically from hub to hub and you will be no where near the correct spacing, etc. etc. I have trays full of end caps for all the hubs we build with, and none are cross compatible.

Luckily for you, DT end caps are super available.