PDA

View Full Version : First tandem ride

NHAero
07-05-2018, 10:30 AM
I bought Steveandbarb's Bilenky Aermet 100 and have been rebuilding it. I had converted my '99 Litespeed MTB to a dropbar 1x10, so in the boneyard I had Scott AT2 bars with thumbies, 9 speed barcons, and levers, and Shimano 9 speed XTR RD and a 9 speed FD, as well as a 9 speed cassette, and some 130mm BCD TA chainrings from another past project. I also put the XT V brakes on as the Litespeed now has discs. All new cables, plus cleaned and repacked the headset. The only new item I've bought is a pair of 700x28 Conti GP Four Season tires (largest that will fit). I put rattrap MKS Tourlites on so we had no clipping in or toeclips to challenge us. I am pretty impressed with how light this bike is - it weighs in between 32-33 pounds all in, without weight weenie components. The bike did come with titanium Phil Wood BBs, and Ti spokes on the front wheel.

I've never captained a tandem and have even more respect now for skilled tandem teams! Yesterday my wife and I rode it for the first time. She's not a diehard cyclist but she runs and bikes some as well so is certainly strong enough for us to ride solo bikes together. We first practiced starting and stopping, then shifting the chainrings, then we headed down the very quiet street we live on 1/3 mile to the State Forest paved SUP network. We did the 10-11 mile loop, stopping at the cross roads. My wife was nervous about going too fast on the short steep downhills - I think we rode faster on the flats :-) The biggest challenge was passing the numerous tourists, especially with kids riding - one group was 30-40, mostly kids, weaving all over the fairly narrow path. We also noted the bike's length on some of the sharp 90 degree turns the path takes - I'm convinced the designers of these SUPs haven't ridden bikes since they were 10 years old.

I think we'll do more rides on the forest paths before venturing out on the road. It's high season here on Martha's Vineyard and lots of traffic. I put a set of straight flat MTB bars on for the stoker and just ordered a set of bars with some rise and some angle back, but that looks like the only change we might need. It was fun and I was gratified that my wife was on board with the experiment and is ready for more.

I'm open to any tips experienced tandem riders might share!

henrypretz
07-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Very cool! Would love to see a pic or two of your bike.

My wife is also not a dedicated cyclist but is a runner and practices yoga. Our bike is a flat bar Burley Rock and Roll, with 26" tires. Even though we ride mostly 10-20 mile easy road and bike path rides (rarely more than 30), I have set her up with spd pedals. We had a shin biting incident with flats, so it was more for her safety and peace of mind. When we start I straddle and stabilize the bike. She climbs on and clips in, then rotates the right crank up and I clip in and off we go. She stays clipped in at stop signs and other short stops.

As you most likely are learning or have already discovered, if your stoker isn't content you are destined for an unpleasant ride.

That said, we have had some wonderful days on our bike.

Henry

edit to add a picture of our bike
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180705/4169c8272e0c8de81aaab9ca8a22540c.jpg

zap
07-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the tandem. Wife and I have over 25 years of tandem experience.

First off, do not ride the tandem until you replace the front wheel or at least replace the ti spokes with something like DT 14/15. Ignoring the lack of stiffness, Ti spokes become brittle at the elbows and will break.

Riding on low traffic roads is best but as noted in your post, not the season for that.

If your wife is not loose on the bike, ask her to relax and keep her elbows bent. You want to minimize the amount of steering input coming from the stoker........at least until you reach tandeming 400 when the stocker can save you from going down by inputting some counter steer.

At some point you will need to start practicing getting out of the saddle (321 countdown) to sprint and/or climb. Butt breaks are important when riding a tandem.

Practice hard braking. Communicate to your wife that you are going to hit the breaks hard.......important for her to feel what that is like.

As captain, you need to up the game in terms of planning and anticipating whats going on up ahead. Speeds are a bit higher on tandems and as noted, tandems are longer.

Communication is important when it comes too bumps....ease of the saddle.

Finally (maybe not but can add more thoughts later), nothing like getting out often and just enjoy the ride.

Hobine
07-05-2018, 11:24 AM
I bought steveandbarb1’s other Bilenky tandem. Haven’t tried it with my wife yet, but rode around the block with my Son. I set it up with Velo Orange Postino bars and downtube shifters for now. Still need some proper saddles. I’ll try to get some pics up. It’s quite beautiful once I got it all cleaned up.

Gummee
07-05-2018, 11:33 AM
As a former captain: make for darn sure you call out bumps BEFORE you hit them. You're in a softly sprung hammock of tubing (relatively) your stoker, on the other hand gets a jolt thru the crotch every bump you hit.

AMHIK how that affects their attitude

If the bike doesn't have a suspension seatpost, that's the FIRST thing I'd buy her. Again AMHIK how much it helps

Tandems can be the best thing for your relationship or the worst thing for your relationship. ...sometimes both on the same ride!

Good luck!

M

Bradford
07-05-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm in year 14 with my tandem and have had three stokers, one wife and two kids. I have a couple of simple rules:

1) The captain makes all steering decisions, the stoker makes all the other decisions. Slow means slow, no means no, stop means stop, rest stops come when the stoker says they come, and "I need ..." is followed by "yes dear."

2) Talk all the time, call out everything (bumps, turns, slowing, stopping, cars up, standing, anything sudden or scary). My wife and I use a tandem intercom system because we got tired of shouting and not hearing...it is great. I kept it going with my son. I took it off with my 8 year old because she spouts non-stop nonsense about everything and anything and it was driving me nuts. If I ever get the kids off and my wife back on, I'll go with a newer blue tooth version and get rid of the wires.

3) 55 MPH is a lot more fun for the captain than it is for the stoker in my family. I have a drum brake set to a bar end set to friction that I use to keep the bike under 35 MPH

4) Snacks go in the middle pocket of your jersey and they aren't for you. Dunkin Donuts Munchkins work well.

5) My wife hated reaching down for water, so I wear a Camelbak Flashflow and she drinks from that

6) Get her a saddle that works and a suspension seatpost

7) Ask for frequent feedback as you get to know each other on the bike and adjust your behavior accordingly

8) Don't fart unless she knows it is coming. Our system is that I yell "Turbo" and she sits up and turns her head

NHAero
07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
You folks are awesome, thanks!
What is the lowest stack suspension seatpost? I thought about that hard but I have very little seatpost showing on her end.
Please say more about the titanium spokes. Am I worrying about a sudden failure? Could I get the right length stainless spokes and replace them myself one at a time, vs. unlacing the wheel and starting from scratch?

bikinchris
07-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Tandems are relationship accelerators. Whichever way the relationship is going, it will get there much faster on a tandem.
To the list of things the captain becomes, I am also the cue sheet and map poster board on our tandem.

Also, she is not a stoker, she's the rear admiral.

zap
07-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Please say more about the titanium spokes. Am I worrying about a sudden failure? Could I get the right length stainless spokes and replace them myself one at a time, vs. unlacing the wheel and starting from scratch?

Worry about sudden failure. Nothing propagates faster than a crack in ti. Replace all ti spokes yesterday. I built wheels with ti spokes back when they first came out..........and I learned.

Tandems are special (higher forces) and require extra scrutiny. Remember, if you crash you both go down.

GregL
07-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Worry about sudden failure. Nothing propagates faster than a crack in ti. Replace all ti spokes yesterday. I built wheels with ti spokes back when they first came out..........and I learned.

Tandems are special (higher forces) and require extra scrutiny. Remember, if you crash you both go down.
Of all the bikes you ride, the tandem should be in the best condition. No bald tires, no worn chains, no fraying cables, and definitely no weight weenie parts (i.e., Ti spokes). Zap nailed it: if you crash, you take down another person who has zero control in the situation. When I ride our family tandem, I am very conservative about all turns, stops, and traffic. After ten plus years of tandem riding, it's my wife's favorite bike.

Greg

Steve in SLO
07-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Some good thoughts already and another vote for a suspension seat post or a very soft saddle, either padded or sprung, as well as clear callouts. The first couple of surprise hard hits will change the mood of the ride, and not for the better.

NHAero
07-05-2018, 03:08 PM
I have some other front wheels around, I'll have to take a look. One has a Campy Nuovo Record high flange hub and I think is 36 spokes, some type of Mavic rim, and I know I have wheels with Ultegra 6500 hubs laced with 32 spokes to Open Pro rims.

As a pair we're about 260 pounds, so we have that going for us :)

jwalther
07-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Not much to add as others have already provided great advice. My wife and I attended our first tandem rally in Williamsburg VA a few weeks ago and had a great time. Once you gain some experience, definitely try some group rides.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2018, 07:59 AM
You folks are awesome, thanks!
What is the lowest stack suspension seatpost? I thought about that hard but I have very little seatpost showing on her end.

RE, titanium spokes..some answers on your other thread..as for replacing them..gotta take all the tension out, remove spokes and rebuild..BUT for that rig, 40h front wheel..make sure tension correct(see DT tension meter) and go ride. It being a rim brake wheel and 40h helps..it's not going to collapse.

BUT, if you want it to be rebuilt, send it to me and I'll rebuild it for you.

buddybikes
07-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Please both of your post some pictures. These 2 Bilenky's were special to me, and letting them go was hard. Acceptance I am old, and memories of the best family time together.

thx
Steve

Bentley
07-06-2018, 01:53 PM
I rode one for a weekend with my brother on a charity ride, let’s just say we have some memories, that we have no intention of re-living.

Glad it worked out, and have some fun.

Ray

NHAero
07-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Absolutely will do, Steve, when it's a bit more "finished"!

Please both of your post some pictures. These 2 Bilenky's were special to me, and letting them go was hard. Acceptance I am old, and memories of the best family time together.

thx
Steve

Hobine
07-07-2018, 04:37 PM

thx

Steve

Yes Steve, I’ll get some pics up soon. The bike is beautiful and rides wonderfully. Still sorting out a couple things.

First ride with my wife today went really well. Kept it pretty short and took advice from this thread. All good.

Great thing is my son wants to ride again, this coming from a kid that defines the Xbox generation.

Turbozinke
07-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Riding a tandem is great marriage counseling. Take the time to serve her a put her needs first. Do keep the bike in tip top condition. Those long derailleur and brake cables will work much better in great condition. My favorite part about a tandem is that we can go ride and do it together. On single bikes I’m frustrated about going slow and she’s going to hard. On tandem we can both ride how we want. Forget the speed. It’s slower and there’s no doubt about it, but man is it fun to pilot the bike downhill like a lead sled.

Turbozinke
07-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Also I think disc brakes are the biggest plus you can give a tandem. So when the budget allows do it

NHAero
07-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Swapped the stoker seat for a wider Terry, and got some Origin8 bars with a bit of rise and sweep. Pretty impressive that with a mostly boneyard components build the bike is about 32 pounds before the accessories. We're definitely noobies but enjoying the learning process.

buddybikes
07-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Looks like my baby is in good hands. Get some clipless pedals (adjustable to loosest)

Thing about tandeming is communication. Just simple gliding is a communication - think about that... Right foot out or left first? My wife and I were opposites, I won that battle being larger.

Had friends who played connect the dots when her captain took his shirt off, good use of dead time back then when there were no cell phones. Always iike the simpe "lets get em" to cruise up to friends further up. We didn't get to sprinting much, wife isn't a racer type.

Hope she rides nice. Certainly unique, I liked the forgiveness it had (vs Cannondale) much easier on the body. Not all flex is bad

marciero
07-15-2018, 09:33 AM
As you most likely are learning or have already discovered, if your stoker isn't content you are destined for an unpleasant ride.

Definitely. It's all about stoker comfort and peace of mind. Taking the time to set up position and get the right saddle and bars will pay off. If she is not savvy about fit she may not know which way to make an adjustment; for example, does she need bars tilted forward or back? Then you just have to fish around until it's right.

As captain, you need to up the game in terms of planning and anticipating whats going on up ahead. Speeds are a bit higher on tandems and as noted, tandems are longer.

Also definitely. Being deliberate and predictable is key. Swerving to miss bumps will really freak out your stoker. Practice turning 101 on descents. Looking down the road is the key to carving nice smooth turns, just like they tell you for driving. No mid-turn adjustments. There is nothing like carving smooth turns on the tandem. Its like a rocket ship on rails. Girlfriend describes it as sensual. Just like in a relationship, all of this will pay off in developing trust. When we started I resigned myself to going slow on descents, since my girlfriend was so conservative on her single bike. But now we descend pretty much as fast as the road allows- much faster than I do on my single bike. She is okay with aggressive leaning on turns as long as I am not diving into corners.

Hobine
07-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Here’s the other one. We absolutely love it!
Still some work to do, but it’s riding great as it sits.
Weighed it today out of curiosity: 36.8 lbs. not bad at all.

Set up currently with Suntour shifters, in friction mode, Real “Love Levers” for brake levers and Shimano V’s for a bit more stopping power. Pedals are MKS Touring on the Topline crankset. Bars are VO Postino.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180715/457885a355f0c934d5ace56a7ad42c02.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180715/ce1ac5ca85b6a8bf58d1ed8311e6bd91.jpg

NHAero
07-15-2018, 04:57 PM
Looks good! What tires did you pick, and what pressure are you running in them? 700x28 are as large as the Aermet will accept, and I've started at 100 psi.

Hobine
07-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Mines a 26er so I went with Panaracer Pasela’s 26 x 1.5 at 65 psi.