PDA

View Full Version : Everyone needs these!!!!

Serotta_Andrew
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
New Serotta Carbon spacers have arrived!!!! everyone should have them!!

http://www.serotta.com

manet
10-25-2006, 08:22 PM
that's nice _ no really, but how come the serotta on the slimmest spacer, is not centered?

Grant McLean
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
that's nice _ no really, but how come the serotta on the slimmest spacer, is not centered?

asymmetric is the new black...

http://www.gharanistrok.co.uk/collections/spr_sum_2003/main/08.jpg

Serotta_Andrew
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM

it is Colorado concept!!!!

shinomaster
10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Do they come in 1" for use with a threaded headset?

manet
10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
asymmetric is the new black...

http://www.gharanistrok.co.uk/collections/spr_sum_2003/main/08.jpg

ahem

Johny
10-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Finally I can afford Serotta carbon technology. :)

BumbleBeeDave
10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
You're lucky they look as good as they do. I hear Serotta Andrew letters each one by hand with a paint Sharpie . . . :eek: :D

BBD

Serpico
10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
:beer:

Korn Julio
10-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Code: CARBONSPACER
Price: $30.00

Shipping Weight: 1.00 pounds

That must be the new ultradense carbon fiber.

jeffg
10-26-2006, 03:52 AM
I guess I am just a troglodyte ...

swoop
10-27-2006, 10:38 AM
$30.00!!!!!!!

William
10-27-2006, 10:42 AM
$30.00!!!!!!!

They've been Meivichi-ch-chi - sized.

William :rolleyes:

Spinner
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
that "everyone" who "needs these" gets them, serotta should provide them gratis to all who make the request.

swoop
10-27-2006, 10:54 AM
i would have loved to been sitting in on that marketing meeting....

terrytnt
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Now wait-a-minute, what if you need 20mm, you mean I either combine 2 10s or a 15+5... won't that look odd with TWO Serotta labels :confused:

Ken Robb
10-27-2006, 11:05 AM
my coffee just spewed across my desk. :)

William
10-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Now wait-a-minute, what if you need 20mm, you mean I either combine 2 10s or a 15+5... won't that look odd with TWO Serotta labels :confused:

That just means it's twice as good. That's what you pay for my man, Serotta Goodness.

William

Bobbo
10-27-2006, 11:37 AM
$30 for four spacers? You guys have lost your minds. Try advertising them in the Robb Report.

flydhest
10-27-2006, 11:48 AM
$30 for four spacers? You guys have lost your minds. Try advertising them in the Robb Report.

I don't see how one can be shocked by that on a board where multiple people have paide close to $10K for a bicycle. $30 is negligible in those cases.

Bobbo
10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm not shocked, I'm disgusted. If you want to spend 10K for a bike, knock yourself out. It's a bike, whether it be for fitness, fun, racing or whatever. It requires engineering, it employs artistry, and ultimately your life may depend on it.

A spacer is, well, A SPACER. It's a freaking piece of scrap carbon tubing. Trying to justify $30 for four spacers since it's going on a $10K bike doesn't make sense. How about $75 for bar tape? Hey, if it's going on a $10K bike, that's OK, isn't it?

dirtdigger88
10-27-2006, 01:47 PM
maybe if you are really lucky

Serotta will even SEND them to you after you pay for them-

read the fine print- paying for something is only half the battle or so it seems-

and yes Go ahead and edit my post or delete me from the board - I just dont care-

I dont like to be charged for a product to then be ignored -

Thanks for the fine service

Jason

atmo
10-27-2006, 02:06 PM
i always use chris king spacers and
they are spendy too. so what atmo?
http://chrisking.com/parts/spacers.html

swoop
10-27-2006, 02:13 PM

yuh, but those are enemadized.

atmo
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
yuh, but those are enemadized.
don't perserverate atmo.

flydhest
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm not shocked, I'm disgusted. If you want to spend 10K for a bike, knock yourself out. It's a bike, whether it be for fitness, fun, racing or whatever. It requires engineering, it employs artistry, and ultimately your life may depend on it.

A spacer is, well, A SPACER. It's a freaking piece of scrap carbon tubing. Trying to justify $30 for four spacers since it's going on a $10K bike doesn't make sense. How about $75 for bar tape? Hey, if it's going on a $10K bike, that's OK, isn't it?

Justify?? I have never, ever understood why anyone would ever think there needs to be a justification for anything. If someone wants it and wants to pay for it, that's on them. If someone wants to charge for it, that's on them.

What difference does it make what "goes into"?

Aesthetics matter to lots of people in lots of places. Why pay more for tape that says Deda on it when stuff that says something else on it will work as well?

Disgust? If this even rises to the level of recognition, I would think that you're looking in the wrong places.

Tom
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I click on the link. I get this:

"Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue."

I wonder if anybody told Natalie? Anyway, replace "Miva Merchant" with my name and you have my epitaph.

Almost as good as the one my sister's planning: "It was this way when I got here."

swoop
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
new serotta caffeine transmitter. on sale for $30.00. limited time special for you: $50.00

Kevan
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
he's banging his head on his desk and it's turning bloody.

Lunar Probe
10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
new serotta caffeine transmitter. on sale for $30.00. limited time special for you: $50.00

Is that from taiwan/china and wholesale for .$99?

swoop
10-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Is that from taiwan/china and wholesale for .$99?
it's not the cup per se..it's the postition the cup puts you in. also the handle is lower so the cup is more flickable.

Kevan
10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
er, bike with lugs.

What the heck are we talking about anyway?!

davids
10-27-2006, 03:09 PM
You know what I like about the Kings? They don't say "CHRIS KING" all over them.

p.s. Swoop, yer funny.

Keith A
10-27-2006, 04:47 PM
You know what I like about the Kings? They don't say "CHRIS KING" all over them.That's 'cause they already got enough of them on their headset :rolleyes:

http://www.fullcycles.com/images/chris-king-no-threadset.jpg

1centaur
10-27-2006, 06:30 PM
If you use a Serotta spacer over a CK headset your bike says Serotta King. You're saying that's not worth $30??

Ti Designs
10-27-2006, 07:34 PM
If you use a Serotta spacer over a CK headset your bike says Serotta King. You're saying that's not worth $30??

I like "Sofa King" better than "Serotta King". You know, I'm Sofa King _______...

rwsaunders
10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I worked at KMart in high school, and I had a boss who I quote to this day..." Something is only worth what one is willing to pay for it."

Too Tall
10-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Swoop "gets" it he's playing the HSG line of accesories.

See Andrew? you TRY to do a nice thing and waddda yah get? Some (bunch) of pissants who can't just leave well enough alone :cool: Anywho, does each spacer come with an emory cloth??? Just askin'.

William
10-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Serotta knows their base. Nuff said.

William

obtuse
10-28-2006, 10:15 AM
what are those things for?

obtuse

Tom Kellogg
10-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Ben and Andrew have simply done what all folks tryiing to grow a brand do. When a NASCAR team sells "T" shirts for 32.00, do you think that it is any different? For those of us in this business, the base prices of our major products pay for the materials, overhead and salleries. It is the little stuff and the upchaqrges where we can make our profit, such as it is. GIVE THEM A BREAK and don't buy any if you don't want to.

obtuse
10-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Ben and Andrew have simply done what all folks tryiing to grow a brand do. When a NASCAR team sells "T" shirts for 32.00, do you think that it is any different? For those of us in this business, the base prices of our major products pay for the materials, overhead and salleries. It is the little stuff and the upchaqrges where we can make our profit, such as it is. GIVE THEM A BREAK and don't buy any if you don't want to.

yeah but what are they for?

obtuse

atmo
10-28-2006, 11:40 AM

obtuse
idiot.
spacers are to make space in your myspace atmo.

fstrthnu
10-28-2006, 11:45 AM
idiot.

These myspacers have texting included imho. Bonus.

Fstrthnu

obtuse
10-28-2006, 11:58 AM
idiot.

beautiful space make me cry.
obtuse

atmo
10-28-2006, 12:05 PM
beautiful space make me cry.
obtuse
vanna has an S for you atmo

Brian Smith
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
maybe if you are really lucky

Serotta will even SEND them to you after you pay for them-

read the fine print- paying for something is only half the battle or so it seems-

and yes Go ahead and edit my post or delete me from the board - I just dont care-

I dont like to be charged for a product to then be ignored -

Thanks for the fine service

Jason

Yo, DD!
What happened?
I've just been looking around the site at the spacers, and can't find any sales fine print. I'm _sure_ nobody meant for you to be charged for spacers and not sent any. Does it say somewhere that maybe you won't get them? I think that maybe the website sales of things like these is a disappointingly small portion of what Serotta does, maybe we haven't been diligent enough about it, but what happened? I can't believe that you won't get what you ordered. Have you called Serotta about it? I know that you probably shouldn't HAVE to, but if there's been a problem, that is probably the best way to get it resolved.

10-28-2006, 12:27 PM
A clear case of spacer deprivation if I ever saw one. This is why you have to buy a Serotta carbon spacer. If you don't, you could end up like this poor sorry wretch.

obtuse

obtuse
10-28-2006, 12:59 PM
oh i see what they're for now. so i can use my walser for keirin.

obtuse

manet
10-28-2006, 01:07 PM

obtuse

talk about elegant _ you sure walser ain't an english engineer

Birddog
10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Although the Mrs always enjoys the nicer things in life, I'm not sure she'd like some new napkin rings that have Serotta printed on them.

Birddog

10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Give this guy a Walser and it's a solution for everything.

You wanted a track bike? Get a Walser. A Serotta Signature Model very high modulus Limited Edition carbon spacer would finish it off nicely and make up for the massive shortcomings of a Walser.

obtuse

obtuse
10-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Give this guy a Walser and it's a solution for everything.

You wanted a track bike? Get a Walser. A Serotta Signature Model very high modulus Limited Edition carbon spacer would finish it off nicely and make up for the massive shortcomings of a Walser.

what are the massive shortcomings?

inquiring minds want to know imho bro.

obtuse

10-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Although the Mrs always enjoys the nicer things in life, I'm not sure she'd like some new napkin rings that have Serotta printed on them.

Birddog

Rather small napkin rings, but probably consonant with wives' notions of the table manners of cyclists.

10-28-2006, 01:35 PM
what are the massive shortcomings?

inquiring minds want to know imho bro.

obtuse

Gosh, that one in your post needed spacers.

Plus, the fact that I don't have one. That's a shortcoming if I ever saw one.

obtuse
10-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Gosh, that one in your post needed spacers.

Plus, the fact that I don't have one. That's a shortcoming if I ever saw one.

yeah, that's a huge shortcoming for me too with that company. maybe we can have gerolsteiner give us their old ones if we mail in enough bottle caps.

obtuse

William
10-28-2006, 02:28 PM
vanna has an S for you atmo

William :D ;)

Serotta_Andrew
10-28-2006, 05:07 PM
what are those things for?

obtuse

for your seat post!! it is too short!!

swoop
10-28-2006, 05:22 PM

if you can't tease a beloved maker of fine bikes, who can you tease? if i we're of the bunched panty crew i wouldn't have said a peep. it was all in self mockery and with luv. my humor is only funny to the disturbed (myself).

atmo
10-28-2006, 05:28 PM
if my humor is only funny to the disturbed (myself).
atmo was in stitches iirc.

H.Frank Beshear
10-28-2006, 08:23 PM

obtuse
Dude, some of us saw you at the Ramble. Lay off the Belgian ale or you'll find out what they are for :beer: :D .

shinomaster
10-29-2006, 12:55 AM
if you can't tease a beloved maker of fine bikes, who can you tease? if i we're of the bunched panty crew i wouldn't have said a peep. it was all in self mockery and with luv. my humor is only funny to the disturbed (myself).

When I make pottery again i'm gonna make you a really funny coffee cup atomo...

stevep
10-29-2006, 06:17 AM
swoop,
ill take the coffee cup.
put it on serotta andrews account.
he still owes me from the famous johnson/pontoni bet of 2000.
fed ex it out. add the freight to andrews bill atmo.
andrew will also send you 4 sets of hand painted spacers with butterflies on the to improve the appearance of your bike.

shinomaster
10-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey what happened to Pontoni? The last I saw he was kicking *** here in Portland then his season fizzled after that? Did he retire?

Birddog
10-29-2006, 12:47 PM
When I make pottery again i'm gonna make you a really funny coffee cup atomo...
Hey Shino, why don't you make some custom ceramic headset spacers? Yeah I know there's a weight penalty, but the custom, bling factor would be over the top! They couldn't be that hard to make. You could put your "monkey" on them.

Birddog

stevep
10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey what happened to Pontoni? The last I saw he was kicking *** here in Portland then his season fizzled after that? Did he retire?

i tk he retired.
probably was so full of shiite that he did not sleep for a year afterward.
smooth rider, though. to watch him...every lap was identical... his foot landed in the exact spot every dismount and he remounted each time in the identical spot. effortless to watch.
vervecken just powerful
wellens extraordinary ability to attack and get a gap
nijs class by himself in bike handling...and a decent motor too... ( no shiite )

obtuse
10-29-2006, 01:35 PM
i tk he retired.
probably was so full of shiite that he did not sleep for a year afterward.
smooth rider, though. to watch him...every lap was identical... his foot landed in the exact spot every dismount and he remounted each time in the identical spot. effortless to watch.
vervecken just powerful
wellens extraordinary ability to attack and get a gap
nijs class by himself in bike handling...and a decent motor too... ( no shiite )

yeah but none of them combined the skills on the cross course with the great literary skills and sensibilties of mario de clerq.

obtuse

stevep
10-29-2006, 02:44 PM
declerc raced for 15 years and never got a nights sleep./
they had to keep waking him up to make sure he was not dead.
fast, though.....
cross is an outrageous sub culture in belgium.

obtuse
10-29-2006, 02:46 PM
declerc raced for 15 years and never got a nights sleep./
they had to keep waking him up to make sure he was not dead.
fast, though.....
cross is an outrageous sub culture in belgium.

you got a problem with setting your alarm clock at three hour intervels? it's for the good of the sport.

obtuse

shinomaster
10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
What do you mean Pontoni was full of Shiit?

stevep
10-29-2006, 05:26 PM
some of those guys used a lot of supplements atmo

shinomaster
10-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh...yeah those Italians drink a lot of espresso atmo...Watching him race in the sloppy, slippery mud of Portland was a thing of beauty. He used Cosmics and green mud tires and could ride on everything, while others had to run.
I saw an old video of the worlds where he was sprinting for third and he slipped and fell flat on his face.

atmo
10-29-2006, 07:22 PM
he mailed it in at gloucester. they should
have sent him home freight collect atmo.

shinomaster
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
he mailed it in at gloucester. they should
have sent him home freight collect atmo.

Why do you suppose that happened?

atmo
10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Why do you suppose that happened?
he believed his own press releases atmo.
oh celluloid heroes never feel any pain.
oh celluloid heroes never really die.

stevep
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
no,
he had a beef with the promoter and the deal fell apart.
he was given less respect than he was used to in europe.
did not like it.

fstrthnu
10-29-2006, 09:13 PM
no,
did not like it.

I rode with him after the 2nd Gloucester race. He was bitter and a little lost... a little desperate for a former world champ imho. didn't like the training roads, had no where solid to stay... needed help. def did NOT feel at home.

Fstrthnu

atmo
10-29-2006, 09:29 PM
no,
did not like it.
it's not my place to say but ***, the promoters were
grasping when they signed him in the first place. he
was already past his sell-by date and a shadow of the
self he once was. it was like some of those tyson bouts
atmo. on one hand pontoni should've been able to get
it done blindfolded, but the promoter's deal was about
dragging out a former star so they could make their own
event more shiney. atmo, the energy and money they
spent on the deal could've been better appropriated if
used on the prize list and/or taking care of some of the
domestic stars. when the supercross series was going on
and pontoni came, he ruled and he put on a show. the
promoters got their money's worth. that was circa 1998
iirc atmo. it wasn't meant to be this last time around.

shinomaster
10-30-2006, 12:42 AM
I could see it being hard to try and race around in a big country like this one, as fstrthnme said. He had a good start...he was the Italian national champion that year.

stevep
10-30-2006, 06:12 AM
it's not my place to say but ***, the promoters were
grasping when they signed him in the first place. he
was already past his sell-by date and a shadow of the
self he once was. it was like some of those tyson bouts
atmo. on one hand pontoni should've been able to get
it done blindfolded, but the promoter's deal was about
dragging out a former star so they could make their own
event more shiney. atmo, the energy and money they
spent on the deal could've been better appropriated if
used on the prize list and/or taking care of some of the
domestic stars. when the supercross series was going on
and pontoni came, he ruled and he put on a show. the
promoters got their money's worth. that was circa 1998
iirc atmo. it wasn't meant to be this last time around.

yes and no. he was a good success the first time but on the rerun he was not cared for sufficiently, there was no one who spoke italian, he was staying at least partly in peoples homes, he was not being paid, he had an older gentleman traveling with him as an assistant who needed a little attention ( atmo cut him off at the hotel open bar to snag the last free drink* ). he also felt the cross riders gave him no respect as a former world champion... just sayin'. there was no sweet music the 2nd time... was a cacaphony.
still was beautiful to see him the first time over...showed the way it should be done to a lot of riders. worth trying...just did not work out.