PDA

View Full Version : i believe you don't really bond with a bike....

AngryScientist
07-05-2018, 08:22 AM
until you really suffer a major bonk together.

you may think you know what the top of your stem looked like before, but there is a new appreciation for the detailed stare. obscure concepts like "pedaling in squares" are realized as slow moving reality.

you have time to ponder challenging physics calculations such as: what is the stall speed at which i can pedal the bike in low-low gear before i fall over?....and follow-up question: would falling over be so bad right now?

oof. mega heat and humidity hit me way harder yesterday than i thought it would. started the ride dehydrated and mildly hungover, thinking i could "pedal it off". was not a particularly long or hard ride, just hit that point where the legs said "no mas". crippling cramps, uncontrollable sweating, despite having run out of water, zero energy to keep the bike moving.

haven't had one of those in a while!

hope everyone else had a pleasant 4th of july!

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/c2d669e4098b2bbbd3fd24845871ca72/5BD9A1FB/t51.2885-15/e35/35935800_510996039317777_2384918893345898496_n.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-05-2018, 08:30 AM

you may think you know what the top of your stem looked like before, but there is a new appreciation for the detailed stare. obscure concepts like "pedaling in squares" are realized as slow moving reality.

you have time to ponder challenging physics calculations such as: what is the stall speed at which i can pedal the bike in low-low gear before i fall over?....and follow-up question: would falling over be so bad right now?

oof. mega heat and humidity hit me way harder yesterday than i thought it would. started the ride dehydrated and mildly hungover, thinking i could "pedal it off". was not a particularly long or hard ride, just hit that point where the legs said "no mas". crippling cramps, uncontrollable sweating, despite having run out of water, zero energy to keep the bike moving.

https://instagram.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/c2d669e4098b2bbbd3fd24845871ca72/5BD9A1FB/t51.2885-15/e35/35935800_510996039317777_2384918893345898496_n.jpg

HA, we’ve all been there brother, recover well. :)

Hilltopperny
07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
It’s a very humbling experience when this happens. I wasn’t quite there a few days ago, but definitely ended my ride on Monday with calf cramps and a headache that lasted a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
HA, we’ve all been there brother, recover well. :)

how about that sexy tied/soldered rear wheel though, am i right?

cmg
07-05-2018, 08:56 AM
many years ago during a summer charity ride, rode thru a sleep haze prior to the onset bonk. i got lucky, got to a rest stop and they had everyone's favorite frozen pickle juice bars on a stick. oh yummy, that an after a quart of gatorade and a 20 minute sit down the haze wore off. 80 miles in the beautiful texas summer heat. the next few meals were mostly water intake and a snack. best to you.

bicycletricycle
07-05-2018, 09:11 AM
I sort of like the feeling of extreme exhaustion. I did a 60 mile ride on Monday in almost 100 degree heat and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I got home really well cooked. Felt nice.

bigbill
07-05-2018, 09:21 AM
I was stationed on Sardinia in 2007. Every afternoon I headed out on my Pegoretti BLE for 25-30 miles with longer rides on the weekends. I had to work around a ferry schedule. That bike and I explored routes, found a 100km/hr descent, and on one particular ride, found a 200 degree hairpin I entered at 40 mph. I was certain that I was going airborne because there were no guardrails. I kept my eyes on the inside corner of the turn and kept leaning inwards past 45 degrees. I knew if I braked, the bike would pop upright or break traction so I just death gripped the drops. The back tire skipped a few times and I was countersteering and then I was back on a straight section. My HR was 180 and I was just one big adrenaline rush.

It's got new paint and parts, but I'll never sell that bike.

paulh
07-05-2018, 09:26 AM
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. I'm pre-med.

mhespenheide
07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
The owner of the shop where I bought my first good bicycle used to say that you didn't really own the bike until you'd ridden it more miles than the dollars it cost. ;)

oldpotatoe
07-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Yessir!!!!

parris
07-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Paul H... I thought you were pre law...:p

azrider
07-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Is this really a thing?

asking for a freind.....

AngryScientist
07-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Is this really a thing?

asking for a freind.....

look closely at the pic of my rear wheel.

yes, a real thing.

these are internet photos but they give you the idea...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o-qHWEt1Pgs/SjlKT_Tbn6I/AAAAAAAACFQ/kEoHzpzOcus/s400/3635825097_c0da1d2c0b_b%5B1%5D.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o-qHWEt1Pgs/SjlKT_Tbn6I/AAAAAAAACFQ/kEoHzpzOcus/s400/3635825097_c0da1d2c0b_b%5B1%5D.jpg

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/wheels-tires/188817d1155780818-spokes-brazed-together-t-s-005.jpg

eippo1
07-05-2018, 01:01 PM
That bike and I explored routes, found a 100km/hr descent, and on one particular ride, found a 200 degree hairpin I entered at 40 mph. I was certain that I was going airborne because there were no guardrails.

I did one of those once when I realized that I hadn't flipped my brake QR prior to riding (Shimano) and therefore didn't have enough power to scrub speed prior to a hairpin in a descent. Countersteered way beyond where I thought was possible and skipped a couple times, but managed to hold my line. Friends at the bottom were way impressed and then I pointed to my front brake :eek:

tombtfslpk
07-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Did the same thing on an early season ride.
My after photo wouldn't have had the bike in the big chain ring though.:banana:

redir
07-05-2018, 02:26 PM
LOL I know what you mean! Coming home from a 120 miler one day I was about dead and it was a Sunday in the middle of nowhere when I came across a back woods auto shop and the guy was working. I went in and asked for some water and he could tell how dead I was so he opened up the old Coke machine and gave me a Coke and some doughnuts from earlier that day. Literally felt like he saved my life.

R3awak3n
07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Its been pretty hot in NY so the probability of bonking is very high. I about only took 1 water bottle out today, that was going to be stupid. Also forgot my food, stupid x2. There is a gas station about middle of the ride but I could have been in bonkville as well... and today is not as hot as yesterday

Spaghetti Legs
07-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Good excuse for an extra post-ride beer.

Cool bike.

Hindmost
07-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Paul H... I thought you were pre law...:p

Pre-med, pre-law, what's the difference?

giverdada
07-05-2018, 05:34 PM
i love the premise of this thread. my run yesterday was the equivalent of pedaling squares, and i'm sure most people walk their dogs faster than i was 'running'. heat man. humidity too. no shelter. no relief. breathe hot air in and back out. amazing. and i loved it. loved coming home to drip all over the floor until i couldn't drip more, then cold showered and spent the rest of the evening rehydrating. still dehydrated today. twas wondrous pitiful.

and i've been loving being on my bike of late. tried to ride slow yesterday to avoid getting too gross before physio. bike handled it. rode home from physio fast enough to just deplete myself (pre-run). bike handled it. hardest bonk ever was on that bike. fastest descent. best place in a race. all that bike. i love bikes.

Hellgate
07-05-2018, 06:00 PM
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. I'm pre-med.Bourbon, tequila, rum?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Scuzzer
07-05-2018, 06:10 PM
I always bonded with bikes on incredibly hard climbs. Kinda, sorta what you mentioned but I've only had one epic bonk and I didn't bond with anything that day.

A week climbing in the Alps in '82 made me love my old Paramount, to the point that it's still in the stable. Then again it might have earned its place when I threw up off of it after racing the Purdue Bike Racing club president up the toughest climb we had around there.

ERK55
07-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Pre-med, pre-law, what's the difference?

Having spent thousands of hours in the operating room-and some in the court room-huge difference.

Hindmost
07-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Having spent thousands of hours in the operating room-and some in the court room-huge difference.

Think: Animal House.

jumphigher
07-06-2018, 05:14 AM
I daily ride 20-60 miles solo in the current high heat and humdity, and definitely am more careful with my fluid intake on these rides. People die in this type of weather so you have to be attentive for sure.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2018, 07:04 AM
Is this really a thing?

asking for a freind.....

A 'thing'? Yes, some wheelbuilders tie and solder wheels(like I did for Angry) and they have real advantages when it comes to a deformed/warped/bent wheel, resulting low tension and how it reduces/eliminates broken spokes..plus it looks cool..I also do a lot of T&S for disc wheels due to the big stresses of a disc brake and some light rims, not enough spokes..OE wheels often. Lots of marketing stress when the bike is sitting on the showroom floor.."ooh, what light wheels and only 28 spokes"..dum. Also some track wheels so a broken spoke doesn't flop around..

Mark McM
07-06-2018, 09:24 AM
i believe you don't really bond with a bike....

To our friends in Great Britain, this sentence has a completely different meaning.

veloduffer
07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

To me, bonking is like Kryptonite to Superman. Totally weakened and trying to get back home. Glad you got home safe....

93KgBike
07-06-2018, 10:59 AM
At least we know that bike ended up in good hands; it looks awesome! I think Peter Weigle would approve, especially if you bonked wearing pants, rather than tights. If you are going to ride hungover, put a recovery beer in your bar-bag.

ColonelJLloyd
07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
To our friends in Great Britain, this sentence has a completely different meaning.

He knows what he said. That poor bottom bracket. . .

azrider
07-06-2018, 11:13 AM
A 'thing'? Yes, some wheelbuilders tie and solder wheels(like I did for Angry) and they have real advantages when it comes to a deformed/warped/bent wheel, resulting low tension and how it reduces/eliminates broken spokes..plus it looks cool..I also do a lot of T&S for disc wheels due to the big stresses of a disc brake and some light rims, not enough spokes..OE wheels often. Lots of marketing stress when the bike is sitting on the showroom floor.."ooh, what light wheels and only 28 spokes"..dum. Also some track wheels so a broken spoke doesn't flop around..

Interesting. Thanks. I sent OP a PM asking so as not to derail his thread but he was too cool for school to respond so i appreciate the knowledge.

I'll ask you same thing I tried asking him.....

Does it make wheel super stiff?

If you bust a spoke would fact that other spokes area soldered make it harder to become untrue, or if spoke busts are you SOL ? (guess you already kinda answered that one)

redir
07-06-2018, 02:17 PM

I have one wheel in particular that I keep breaking spokes on and it drives me nuts. I think it's just a really bad design but I do weigh in at 90kg too. But it's the ONLY wheel that I have chronic problems on.

So I was thinking about the old tied and solder thing. IF I understand what you are saying does it have the potential for helping with breaking spokes? Or just there in case you do and it doesn't get all messed up in your drive train?