PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trip this fall to Massachusetts/Vermont/Maine

PNW
07-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Hey all, my wife and I will be taking a 10-14 day vacation and decided to visit the NE SEPTEMBER 17th-OCTOBER 1st. We are booking the flights but have never been to that part of the country but are very excited for the sight seeing, food culture, beer culture, and exploring. As you know, I am a big beer guy and have picked 8 breweries that I need/want to stop at.

We would love recommendations on comfortable, yet reasonable lodging along the way. Typically AirBnB is the route that I go but want to keep it affordable if possible.

I know many members here live in these three states and am glad that they are close together driving wise. We would love recommendations on places to sight see, hike, restaurants, FRESH SEAFOOD, wine bars, national parks, tours?, etc...we are OPEN to recommendations. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Bruce K
07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Anticipated dates would be helpful.

There is LOTS of history in the area. Lots of good eateries in and around Boston and outlying suburbs. NH and VT will lead you to towns close to ski areas or lakes for most good eats.

Leaf Peeping season can make parts of NH and VT crowded on weekends, depending on dates and Mother Nature.

If you are looking at breweries on the North Shore of Boston you are welcome to stay here for a night or two. Plenty of fresh seafood in this town!

I will be in school but my wife should be home and my son leaves mid- morning for work when he is in town.

You may want to look at the cyclocross schedule as well - season will be in full swing and races are everywhere.

There’s a start but there are lots of forumites in the area so expect lots of info shortly.

BK

PNW
07-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Anticipated dates would be helpful.

There is LOTS of history in the area. Lots of good eateries in and around Boston and outlying suburbs. NH and VT will lead you to towns close to ski areas or lakes for most good eats.

Leaf Peeping season can make parts of NH and VT crowded on weekends, depending on dates and Mother Nature.

If you are looking at breweries on the North Shore of Boston you are welcome to stay here for a night or two. Plenty of fresh seafood in this town!

I will be in school but my wife should be home and my son leaves mid- morning for work when he is in town.

You may want to look at the cyclocross schedule as well - season will be in full swing and races are everywhere.

There’s a start but there are lots of forumites in the area so expect lots of info shortly.

BK

Thanks for the reply! We will be there September 17th-October 1st. That would be great, I’ll reach out to you personally.

R3awak3n
07-04-2018, 02:37 PM
can't really help much because my Parents and I kind of just went to whatever restaurants but I absolutely love Maine. Such a great state. Vermont is awesome as well and so is Mass. You are in for an amazing trip

bikinchris
07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Boston is worth several days of your time. There is a good bit of history there.

In Maine, you should probably go to Lubec to see West Quoddy lighthouse to stand on the Easternmost spot in the contiguous USA.

Ken Robb
07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
It's a great time to visit but I second the caution about crowds of leaf-peepers. They can make lodging scarce so I would suggest making reservations soon. Acadia National Park and the surrounding area is neat. Lake Winni-----(Who can spell that one) is also nice. We rented a small "condo" at The Yacht Club in Wolfsboro for a reasonable fee and it was an easy walk to town.

AngryScientist
07-04-2018, 03:26 PM
oh man, i have a plan in the works that might be right up your alley.

stay tuned, i'll start a thread on it tonight, with some details.

off to BBQ!

parris
07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Food, beer, fall, Northeast?! There's not ONE part of that trip that doesn't sound great! Can you share which breweries?

PNW
07-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Food, beer, fall, Northeast?! There's not ONE part of that trip that doesn't sound great! Can you share which breweries?

I can’t wait. I’ll be bringing a separate bag to fly back a bunch of stuff with me.

Treehouse
Trillium
Alchemist
Maine Beer Co.
Foam Brewers
Hill Farmstead
Bissel Brothers
Goodfire
Allagash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNW
07-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Is 14 days too many?

booglebug
07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Just returned from that area, did the hwy 1 route. Awesome seafood and sightseeing. If you’re planning a Acadia Park visit I strongly suggest taking bike equipment and renting a gravel bike to explore the carriage roads and climb Cadillac mountain, something I regret not doing!

Bruce K
07-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Nothing appears to be more than a half day drive at most between stops if you plan it right.

With sightseeing and interesting things to see and do you could spend the whole two weeks and not be bored.

BK

Bruce K
07-04-2018, 04:32 PM
So 3 in Northern VT. Burlington and Stowe arefairly close and each are good places to spend a day. The third brewer is tough to get to. Either lots of back roads or down I89 and back up I91.

Several around Portland, ME. Portland has lots of cool shops and eateries.

The others are south of Boston. When down that way, plan to visit Zplimouth Plantation. A little pricey but an excellent historical experience about the first settlement and the lives of the indingenous people at the time.

BK

Broccoli Cog
07-04-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm also a beer nerd and I will make one suggestion. All of those brewers on your list are top choices. If you are going to go to Allagash in Maine I recommend you walk across the street to go to Foundation and Austin Street Brewery. I'd also add two others in Portland. Rising Tide and Oxbow. Bottom line there is so many good choices and so little time! Enjoy your trip!

572cv
07-04-2018, 05:06 PM
If you are going to Hill Farmstead, you could do worse than staying at the Highland Lodge.

https://www.highlandlodge.com

Climb01742
07-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Is 14 days too many?

No. The three states you’re visiting, while close geographically, are unique and distinct experiences. Giving yourself 14 days will let you really explore each without feeling rushed.

A small suggestion. If you can, get to Rockport/Camden part of Maine. It’s a striking and cool part of the Maine coast.

Woodstock, Vermont is a cool little town too.

Have fun!

RonW87
07-04-2018, 05:22 PM
I'd highly recommend bringing your passports and popping across the border to Quebec. Even just the Eastern Townships are great. You might fit in Montreal as well. To quote the cliche, experience the "joie de vivre"! Bonus: your dollars are worth 30% more. Not sure what your budget is, but this is part of the Relais et Chateaux chain and is about 30 mins. from the Vermont border:

https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/canada/hovey-quebec-north-hatley

xnetter
07-04-2018, 05:58 PM
I'd highly recommend bringing your passports and popping across the border to Quebec. Even just the Eastern Townships are great. You might fit in Montreal as well. To quote the cliche, experience the "joie de vivre"! Bonus: your dollars are worth 30% more. Not sure what your budget is, but this is part of the Relais et Chateaux chain and is about 30 mins. from the Vermont border:

https://www.relaischateaux.com/us/canada/hovey-quebec-north-hatley

I thought about this too - there are plenty of cute little towns in that area, with plenty of good beer/cheese too (Sutton, Dunham, etc) and great B&Bs. There could be enough time for the OP to get from coastal Maine over to Vermont, and then also up into the Eastern Townships. Montreal might be pushing it though - it needs several days alone to begin to appreciate, particularly if you've never visited before (not sure if OP and fam have been). Depends on one's personal pace in vacation mode ;-)

KJ

Louis
07-04-2018, 06:15 PM
A small suggestion. If you can, get to Rockport/Camden part of Maine. It’s a striking and cool part of the Maine coast.

Woodstock, Vermont is a cool little town too.

My sister lives in the ME "mid-coast" area, so I've been to the Rockport and Camden area quite often and agree that it's a nice place. ME in general has a bunch of interesting things to do, but ironically, the roads didn't strike me as being particularly good for road cycling. (at least the parts I've seen, I haven't yet had a chance to go to Acadia)

Ditto on Woodstock VT being a nice town.

No way are two weeks too long for a MA, ME, NH, VT vacation. I would pick a handful of home-bases in areas that interest you, find a nice hotel / B&B in each and spend a few days exploring the various points of interest.

Bruce K
07-04-2018, 06:30 PM
LOTS of really good small breweries around New England

More Boston area breweries:
Lamplighter is in Cambridge - they sponsor a bike team, too.
Lot Hobo - Burlington/Woburn - somewhere near there
Cape Ann - local to us

BK

sonicCows
07-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Harpoon, Sam Adams, Aeronaut, Downeast, Bantam, Night Shift, to name a few more. Maine Coast is amazing, but don't discount Gloucester and Rockport. Do make sure to skip Cape Cod!

MattTuck
07-04-2018, 08:00 PM
can't really help much because my Parents and I kind of just went to whatever restaurants but I absolutely love Maine. Such a great state. Vermont is awesome as well and so is Mass. You are in for an amazing trip

No love for New Hampshire from you or the O.P? What a slap in the face!!

:p:p

When I get in front of a computer with a keyboard, will respond with good real suggestions.

R3awak3n
07-04-2018, 08:22 PM
No love for New Hampshire from you or the O.P? What a slap in the face!!

:p:p

When I get in front of a computer with a keyboard, will respond with good real suggestions.

oh no way, I love NH. It was my favorite state I went through a few years ago when I did a bit of NE touring. I need to go back actually. Next is a Vermont tour and then maybe back to NH.

Pretty much all NE is awesome, yes even CT and NJ :P

David in Maine
07-04-2018, 08:35 PM
If you’re planning to go to Maine beer Company in Freeport, continue up the road a bit to my town of Brunswick. We have a nice new brewery called Moderation that’s worth a visit. We also have Flight Deck Brewery on the old Brunswick Naval Air station base: Downtown Brunswick is a great little town as well with lots of good food. Popham Beach in Phippsburg is beautiful and great seafood on the dock in Georgetown.

David

buddybikes
07-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Peak foliage you will be bit early for, unless pretty far down east ME or northern VT near end of your trip. If you can be bit more specific what interests your boss (wife), countryside or city would be helpful. Is this a driving trip? Any hiking, if so how agressive? How much driving in a day? Where are you flying in/out of?

Louis
07-04-2018, 08:57 PM
If you’re planning to go to Maine beer Company in Freeport, continue up the road a bit to my town of Brunswick.

For a few years my sister lived on Bailey Island, just south of Brunswick. A neat little place, but a bit of a commute 5x a week to Portland.

nickl
07-04-2018, 09:14 PM
I'm also a beer nerd and I will make one suggestion. All of those brewers on your list are top choices. If you are going to go to Allagash in Maine I recommend you walk across the street to go to Foundation and Austin Street Brewery. I'd also add two others in Portland. Rising Tide and Oxbow. Bottom line there is so many good choices and so little time! Enjoy your trip!

While in Portland a visit to Shipyard Brewing should be on your itinerary. Nice hospitable tasting room, run by very good people and within walking distance of several good restaurants and lots of other attractions.

buddybikes
07-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Vermont (I am not, personally, a Waterbuy fan, just me)

- Waterbury (you will be there- w for Alchemist) then down route 100, through Waitesfield.
- worth stopping at Trapp Family Lodge for the vistas
- Grafton off the beaten path is marvelously beautiful
- brattleboro is funky
- Weston

more later, burnt from the day..

MattTuck
07-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Ok, so I'd like to hear a bit more about what kind of stuff you want to do with your time. A very rough itinerary that you may consider (either do it clock wise or counter clockwise with Boston either first or last).

A few days in Boston: Historical stuff, world class art museum, fairly walkable with decent public transit. Some shopping if that's your thing.
If you have a car (or willing to take train/bus), you can go out to Lexington and Concord, which is (if you know your history) quite significant to our nation's founding.

Western Mass: A couple high points would be the Berkshires (a mountain range), Mt. Greylock (highest point in Massachusetts) which can be driven up, or hiked, and has a light house on top of it), the town of stockbridge, the Norman Rockwell museum, Chesterwood (http://chesterwood.org), which has a miniature replica of the lincoln memorial, also the Mass MOCA.

Vermont: if you like natural stuff, there is certainly some cool stuff to see. If you like food, you might consider Essex Junction culinary resort. Burlington has a cool little vibe, Shelburne also. The area that I live in is on the border of NH and VT, about half way up the state. Lots of cool stuff to do and see around here, but a couple of highlights. As Climb mentioned, you could check out Woodstock, VT. Cool little town with a Rockefeller connection. In the same area, I'd strongly suggest going to a restaurant called Worthy Burger (https://www.worthyvermont.com/wburger/) which usually has a really good beer list, and often times has Hill Farmstead on tap. So, may be a way to save some driving. If you like little funky food places, a few options also in this area are Chef Brad's Crazy Side (order food out of a trailer and eat in an old school bus), Trail Break Tacos & Taps, Samurai Soulfood (up in Fairly, VT), and Peyton Place (in Orford, NH - a historic tavern). Dartmouth college is also in this area, and has a very good art museum (for a small town).

From here, I'd head North/North East, up to the White Mountains. Lots of stuff to do/see here if you like to hike/see nature. Mt. Washington is the highest point in New England, you can hike it, drive up it, or take a train up to the top... If you like financial history, you can check out the Mt. Washington Resort at Bretton Woods which was the site of the eponymous convention that established the world order. Lots of mountains to hike though, and you have two east/west options to get across the mountains, both are good. Rt. 302, or Kangamagus. They do a century ride here that goes east on one, and then comes back on the other.Check out Mt. Willard from the Highland Center if you just want to get a taste of hiking, with a very good pay off.

Spend an afternoon in and around North Conway, NH -- then make the drive from there to Portland, ME. Spend a day in Portland, check out the city, then head north to Acadia National Park. By far, it is crown jewel of New England in terms of dramatic scenery. Bar Harbor is cool for a day, but try to stay in the park and hit the carriage roads with a CX bike. The rest of the park has Mountains, ocean cliffs, Fjords, etc. Take the time also to drive back to the mainland and North to Schoodic point. You may see whales there from shore.

Now head back South, hitting whatever you want along the coast on your way back to Boston. One place that I always hit is Henry VIII's in Kittery, ME (very close to NH border) which is a great roast beef sandwich shop. Save yourself the time of deciding, and just get two "Henry the 8ths" ... one for there, and one to go.

I probably love ice cream as much as you love beer, and this itinerary misses some really great ice cream places, but I think it is a solid itinerary. PM me if you have any specific questions about anything I listed here.

MattTuck
07-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Vermont (I am not, personally, a Waterbuy fan, just me)

- Waterbury (you will be there- w for Alchemist) then down route 100, through Waitesfield.
- worth stopping at Trapp Family Lodge for the vistas
- Grafton off the beaten path is marvelously beautiful
- brattleboro is funky
- Weston

more later, burnt from the day..

If you are in Waterbury, check out the Prohibition Pig. I've had a couple of good sandwiches there.

Louis
07-04-2018, 10:25 PM
If you like financial history, you can check out the Mt. Washington Resort at Bretton Woods which was the site of the eponymous convention that established the world order.

And relevant to what's been happening lately...

C40_guy
07-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Harpoon, Sam Adams, Aeronaut, Downeast, Bantam, Night Shift, to name a few more. Maine Coast is amazing, but don't discount Gloucester and Rockport. Do make sure to skip Cape Cod!

Yes, please do. :)

Cape Cod Beer Company is a gem.

And our mountain biking, surprisingly, is top notch. Look up Trail of Tears.

We have active road and mountain biking communities here.

A thought. 14 days is barely sufficient to cover all of the targeted geography. Reconsider the breadth versus depth of your trip...a couple of days in a few areas each might be more fulfilling than a whistle stop tour across four or five states and a second country...

Hardlyrob
07-05-2018, 08:30 AM
There is also a very good cidery in Stowe VT that is worth a visit since you're there anyway.

Bruce K
07-05-2018, 10:33 AM
And a Neanderthal inIpswuch, MA.

Thus tour is starting to sound a bit like”Drunk History”

:rolleyes:;)

BK

PNW
07-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a very good start! I want to fully remember the trip though so stopping at that many breweries would be overload haha.

Our plan is to fly into Boston then actually leave out of Boston as well. We were thinking of staying a few nights in Boston, 3-4 nights in Vermont, 3-5 nights in Maine, then make our way back to Massachusetts.

schwa86
07-05-2018, 05:59 PM
My sister lives in the ME "mid-coast" area, so I've been to the Rockport and Camden area quite often and agree that it's a nice place. ME in general has a bunch of interesting things to do, but ironically, the roads didn't strike me as being particularly good for road cycling. (at least the parts I've seen, I haven't yet had a chance to go to Acadia).

While I agree with almost everything Louis posts, the midcoast riding can be pretty awesome. Check out the routes for the Maine Lobster Ride -- a really great coastal century coming up later this month.

I've spent a ton of time in Acadia if you do want to get up that way and would be happy to post suggestions if helpful -- there are a couple of other threads in the forum about the park, where to eat, where to hike, etc.

A couple of splurge restaurants to put on your list if of interest:

Fore Street in Portland ME
Simon Pearce near Woodstock VT (Matt to confirm still good)
Olena in Cambridge MA

Louis
07-05-2018, 06:11 PM
While I agree with almost everything Louis posts, the midcoast riding can be pretty awesome. Check out the routes for the Maine Lobster Ride -- a really great coastal century coming up later this month.

I'll gladly defer to those with more local knowledge. However, the bulk of the "side" roads I seem to remember were pretty narrow, with no shoulder and in generally poor condition, with moderately fast traffic.

I'm sure someone who lived there and had time could find the good ones.

One thing about Maine, it's easy to find the sort of neat "scenic destination" points that make rides enjoyable.

buddybikes
07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
One "finger" of a midcoast or down east maine could eat up good part of the day, so trip planning is a must.

In VT, don't miss going over one of the famous gaps, either in car or bike.

Personally I would spend some time in Stowe then south to Waterbury. Then down route 100, west on Lincoln Gap, then back over Middlebury. Go further down 100 to Weston, down to Londonderry - then over to Grafton, then through Townsend (route 30) to Brattleboro. Add Woodstock to equation above, and good for 3 days

thank me later...

Louis
07-05-2018, 06:51 PM
For ME visitors in the area I always recommend the Big Chicken Barn bookstore, especially if you're into reading:

https://www.bigchickenbarn.com/

They're on Rt 1, just south / west of Ellsworth, which is the turnoff for MDI / Acadia NP.

https://bdn-data.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs.dir/364/files/2015/10/ffcc9a20c4b9005357f6ffcfbb42de1d.jpg

https://newengland.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy_cms_images/14329.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.angiesroost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BigChickenBarnAntiquestSecondFloor.jpg?resize=333% 2C500

MattTuck
07-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Simon Pearce near Woodstock VT (Matt to confirm still good)

Still solid, my wife and I got married in their 'loft' space. The restaurant overlooks a dam/waterfall, and a covered bridge. You can see them blowing glass downstairs, and buy it in their retail store. It is in Quechee, VT. Vermont had a hurricane several years ago that caused lots of flooding, and the restaurant lost a lot of a very extensive wine cellar -- so their wine selection is not quite as good as it used to be.

The building is an old mill, with its own hydro electric dam/generator. Pretty impressive actually. Upon further reflection, I'd add it to my list, now that you have brought it up :)

https://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/howardignatius-700x466.jpg

rounder
07-05-2018, 09:11 PM
As Louis recommended, the Camden- Rockport area of mid-coast Maine is worth going to. Belfast, a few miles up is also nice. I remember, years ago when it was a chicken factory town, but has since gotten really pretty.

Rockland, a few miles south of Camden has the Owls Head museum with lots of old cars and planes. I was there a few years ago and saw an old Serotta track bike on display. Not sure of the connection, but believe that Kelly Bedford's brother was manager of the place.

Louis
07-05-2018, 09:27 PM
For hiking, if the OP wants to do part of a "famous" route, there's always the Appalachian Trail.

It goes right through Hanover, NH, so you could go there and harass Matt...

http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps/at1.jpg

AngryScientist
07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
this thread is pure gold.

lots of good recs i havent considered myself.

following.

my grand plan thread still to come by the way.

David in Maine
07-05-2018, 11:20 PM
If you have any interest in history and/or trains, in the Midcoast region the Wiscasset narrow gauge museum is really great with restored steam locomotives. Also it’s right near the Oxbow brewery! http://wwfry.org/

sitzmark
07-06-2018, 01:20 AM
If you have any interest in history and/or trains, in the Midcoast region the Wiscasset narrow gauge museum is really great with restored steam locomotives. Also it’s right near the Oxbow brewery! http://wwfry.org/

+1 on Oxbow brewery/farm in Newcastle, ME. A friend's son co-founded Oxbow and they do brew a fine product. Down the road don't miss the Shuck Station for raw oysters - Pemaquids right out of the river and more local brews to go with them. Split Rock Distillery is also an interesting stop in Newcastle if you like small lot vodka, gin, or bourbon. Damariscotta river and lots of Maine coast line all very close.

Boston: As a transplant to New England, I found the "Freedom Trial" in Boston to be a touristy nightmare, but a worthwhile stroll that helps connect many pieces of history in a spatial way that reading/study does not - basically finding remnants of a village in the middle of a busy city. The Boston Public Garden is a nice place to retreat from buildings and concrete. A leisurely swan boat ride is something worth doing at least once - SBoat season usually ends mid-Sept so OP may miss the cut-off. Finger food (or prime dining) - Quincy Market/North End - is plentiful along the red-lined route that marks the trail. Best to grab a quick bite from one of the food vendors, wander through some of the shops in the market, tip a street entertainer or two and keep moving along the red line. When arriving in the North End (Little Italy) it's time to eat - plan to eat early or wait in lines for table space. End to end the freedom trail can fill a full day and make you look forward to getting off your feet. While at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market pick up discounted theater tickets (BosTix booth) for an evening performance in the theater district. The Museum of Fine Arts is superb for art/culture - same for the Stuart Gardner museum.

Cape Cod is frustratingly dense with tourists but not so much in mid/late Sept. The canal is interesting and can be included in a reasonably quiet cycling route tying Falmouth, Bourne, Sandwich, and Mashpee together in a 50/60 mile loop. The Woods Hole ferry to Oak Bluffs is scenic and makes for another nice 50 mile loop on the island if riding is an objective. The island will be quiet in Sept. Don't miss Lookout Tavern in Oak Bluffs for a post-ride sautéed lobster roll, some sashimi, and a Lookout Lager. Have had many lobster rolls in my life and the Lookout sautéed version is one I always look forward to. The ride is just an excuse to stop at Lookout.;)

If traversing VT>NH>ME ("can't get there from here" is a ME saying that does apply to this route) a day hike of Mt. Washington is an enjoyable way to get some exercise and get a terrific view. You can drive up the Mtn, but I wouldn't/haven't. The Omni/Bretton Woods resort is a great suggestion if the OP is in the area - especially if have Select Guest rewards banked.

A casual ride through the Acadia carriage paths makes for a relaxing but very enjoyable day. Spectacular scenery. Bike shops in the area but I've never rented so no experience.

The Dempsey Challenge century out of Lewiston, ME takes place on Sept 30. Would give the OP a good feel for the western Maine/lakes region up close and personal. Maybe too tight a schedule for return to PNW.

Every recommendation posted is a good one. 14 days is going to go "bye" quickly...

Climb01742
07-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Maybe it’s because I live in a town overrun by tour buses, but the experiences here near Boston are very different than in Maine and Vermont. There’s no doubt that our area has history around every corner, but we also have tourists around every corner. Our ratio of history to natural splendor is much lower than Maine or Vermont. It might be worth asking yourself, would lots of people kinda get on my nerves? Or would lots of natural beauty make the beer taste better? It’s not so much either/or as where might you like to spend more time? I’m betraying my personal bias. As pretty and historic of a place as Boston is, it’s just a different experience than Maine and Vermont offer. What ratio of people to beauty suits you best? Wherever you go, it’ll be fun.

Spinner
07-06-2018, 12:03 PM
My family has enjoyed numerous trips to New England and we will again in September when my wife and I visit our son in Williston, VT.

Over the years, we have rented cottages in Maine (Christmas Cove, West Point and Boothbay area) and we have stayed in B&Bs, inns and motels in ME, MA, NH and VT. On multiple trips, I have taken a road single as well as a tandem bike. I have ridden countless miles within ME in areas noted above with no traffic issues. I especially like riding the Phippsburg Peninsula from Bath to Fort Popham, Southport Island near Boothbay and of course Acadia. The bike paths along the lake in Burlington, VT and the roads on the Lake Champaign Islands are also a blast. Regrettably, my biking in VT has been limited to date.

My wife and I have enjoyed many oceanside picnics with a stocked cooler, a portable stove, a lobster pot and a couple of fresh crustaceans. One of our favorite places to do this is atop the giant monoliths in Acadia National Park, although the shore at Marshall Point (Port Clyde) is a close second. There is no better place to break open a lobster than at the shore. We also enjoy the numerous eateries in downtown Burlington, where there is something for everyone, including dedicated foodies.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves. And, as others have mentioned, don't rush and try to take in everything, as there is simply too much.

Cheers.

Bradford
07-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Have you read this article from Boston.com? Info on beer in Vermont.

https://www.boston.com/culture/travel/2018/07/07/how-to-take-a-beer-based-trip-through-vermont

djg
07-08-2018, 09:35 AM
For hiking, if the OP wants to do part of a "famous" route, there's always the Appalachian Trail.

It goes right through Hanover, NH, so you could go there and harass Matt...

http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps/at1.jpg

I was just up there for my . . . ummmth reunion. I had a lovely time drinking good quality beer across the river in Norwich, with a view, but I don't think I can send the OP to my old roommate Eric's house.

djg
07-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Maybe it’s because I live in a town overrun by tour buses, but the experiences here near Boston are very different than in Maine and Vermont. There’s no doubt that our area has history around every corner, but we also have tourists around every corner. Our ratio of history to natural splendor is much lower than Maine or Vermont. It might be worth asking yourself, would lots of people kinda get on my nerves? Or would lots of natural beauty make the beer taste better? It’s not so much either/or as where might you like to spend more time? I’m betraying my personal bias. As pretty and historic of a place as Boston is, it’s just a different experience than Maine and Vermont offer. What ratio of people to beauty suits you best? Wherever you go, it’ll be fun.

Oh, we in the Nation's Cap and its environs will see your tour buses and raise you don't-wanna-talk-about-it. But as a tourist/occasional visitor (and for one year a quasi-local), I'll defend your town, if not on the natural splendor part, even if certain bits of urbanish-nature are plenty nice. Metro Boston is not all that hard to get around in, IMO, and there are things worth seeing -- along with some good food and drink (and I'll leave it to those more up on the scene to recommend particulars).

But yeah, there's the Maine coast, as well as the mountains, and the Whites and the Greens of NH and Vt. I used to know the riding better in the Upper Valley on both the NH and VT sides -- and I would have rated it pretty great -- and it might still be, I just haven't been riding there in the past few years and don't know what might have changed.

Louis
07-08-2018, 08:06 PM
I was just up there for my . . . ummmth reunion. I had a lovely time drinking good quality beer across the river in Norwich, with a view, but I don't think I can send the OP to my old roommate Eric's house.

One of my very last memories of Norwich is taking my roommate from a before-graduation party there back across the river to Mary-Hitchcock hospital with a huge (and I mean huge) gash in his leg. He had to accept his diploma on crutches. (Before anyone asks, yes, alcohol and poor judgement were involved.)

PNW
07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Tickets are booked! We will be there for 13 days. Now on to the lodging/car situation! If anyone has advice on car rentals/transportation let me know.

Ken Robb
07-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Tickets are booked! We will be there for 13 days. Now on to the lodging/car situation! If anyone has advice on car rentals/transportation let me know.

I've gotten some great deals renting cars through Priceline. Since most airports charge big "facility fees" for each rental you may be able to save a lot renting from an off-airport location that might (or might not) be operated by one of the big firms that also have locations at the airport. Every one I have used offered free airport pick-up/drop-off for rental customers. One of my best scores was a Mercedes C 300 for $17 per day from Budget at the Nashville Airport.

djg
07-11-2018, 07:32 AM
... (Before anyone asks, yes, alcohol and poor judgement were involved.)

Well . . . you could knock me over with a feather.

buddybikes
07-11-2018, 08:08 AM
Old Stagecoat Inn - Waterbury

Anywhere in VT, find a bed and breakfast not "corporate" entity or just airbnb where you don't meet anyone

PNW
07-11-2018, 11:54 AM
So...we've decided to have a few different home bases to work from. We fly in late on 9/17 so we will be staying at an AirBnB that's closed to the airport. 9/18 we are going to head to Vermont first for 4 nights and stay in Burlington most likely then visit what we decide to from there. After that, we plan on being in Maine for 4 nights to do the same then finish in Mass. The Red Sox host the Orioles on the 26th so I purchased tickets to the game because i'm a huge baseball fan. When it comes to details and what/where/when we haven't decided yet, just trying to nail down all of our lodging at the moment.

Personally, we are becoming more intrigued by Vermont/Maine so those will be more of a focus point with more time spent there.

Marc40a
07-11-2018, 01:01 PM
So...we've decided to have a few different home bases to work from. We fly in late on 9/17 so we will be staying at an AirBnB that's closed to the airport. 9/18 we are going to head to Vermont first for 4 nights and stay in Burlington most likely then visit what we decide to from there. After that, we plan on being in Maine for 4 nights to do the same then finish in Mass. The Red Sox host the Orioles on the 26th so I purchased tickets to the game because i'm a huge baseball fan. When it comes to details and what/where/when we haven't decided yet, just trying to nail down all of our lodging at the moment.

Personally, we are becoming more intrigued by Vermont/Maine so those will be more of a focus point with more time spent there.

Hotel Vermont in Burlington is worth a stay. It's owned by some corporate chain (Marriott, maybe?) but it's done well, very unique. They have complimentary cruiser bikes that you can take out as well, though, be sure to grab them early, the rack empties quickly.

Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.

When in Boston, be sure to do a Duck Tour, if you can.

Also, in Boston, the Franklin Cafe in the South End serves a full exceptional menu 'till 1:30am <- that's some exclusive local knowledge for you, right there.

Bruce K
07-11-2018, 02:07 PM
Fenway Park is definitely cool.

Sounds like this is coming together nicely

BK

CNY rider
07-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Hotel Vermont in Burlington is worth a stay. It's owned by some corporate chain (Marriott, maybe?) but it's done well, very unique. They have complimentary cruiser bikes that you can take out as well, though, be sure to grab them early, the rack empties quickly.

Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.

When in Boston, be sure to do a Duck Tour, if you can.

Also, in Boston, the Franklin Cafe in the South End serves a full exceptional menu 'till 1:30am <- that's some exclusive local knowledge for you, right there.

Is Nectar's still down there?
I have fond memories of hot summer nights and Nectar's fries with gravy at 0200.........
Somehow I could do that and still get up the next morning and go for a long bike ride.
Oh to be young and irresponsible again.:banana:

buddybikes
07-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Burlington: Totally different, stay at Catamount Outdoor Family Center - a bed and breakfast at a xc ski, and mt bike center (with regular races). http://www.catamountbedandbreakfast.com . Beautiful place and only 15 min into Burlington. Ideally you do want a bike to ride the bike trail along Lake Champlain. (or just walk it).

Boy memories, when kids were young we hit VT 7 times in 3 months

Spinner
07-11-2018, 03:45 PM
[Also, be sure to check out Leunig's for chow in Burlington.]

Leunig's is also a favorite for my family. Located on Church Street, it has a diverse menu with something for everyone. It is popular with locals and tourist alike, therefore I'd recommend a reservation for an evening visit.

Cheers.

NHAero
07-11-2018, 04:07 PM
- El Cortijo in an old diner on Bank St in Burlington for some lively Mexican food.
- A Single Pebble for wonderful Chinese food, also on Bank St.
- The magnificent Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms was built in 1890 or so and was the largest open span wooden structure in the US until just before WW2.

PNW
07-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Just need to book lodging for Maine at this point. Any suggestions? Looking at 4 nights or so...Bar Harbor for sure is on there but not sure if Portland would be a good spot? Open to ideas.

echelon_john
07-13-2018, 10:52 AM
For upscale, Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth is very nice.

For location, the Hyatt Place in the Old Port in Portland is tough to beat.

The Press Hotel is also very nice; higher end boutique hotel in the Old Port.

You don't need too many days in Portland but I would schedule it so you have two dinners there. Great restaurants. Constantly evolving, but Fore Street is an old standard that's still excellent, and Duckfat is a must for a beer and snacks.

Just need to book lodging for Maine at this point. Any suggestions? Looking at 4 nights or so...Bar Harbor for sure is on there but not sure if Portland would be a good spot? Open to ideas.

gdw
07-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Monhegan Island is worth visiting as you explore Maine. Book a ride on the mail boat out of Port Clyde and spend a day hiking the trails. You can stay at one of the inns if you want to spend the night. There are no paved roads on the island and no motor vehicle traffic so it's very quiet.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monhegan,_Maine

marciero
07-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Some great suggestions in this thread.
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Western Mass are loaded with great cycling and touring opportunities for sure.
As has been said, plenty of great riding in Maine away from traffic. You can ride from Portland to Belfast on beautiful roads along the coast as well as inland, almost completely avoiding Route 1, much of it on Eastern Trail, which consists of actual roads (I am so done with bike paths, rail trails, etc.). I never get tired of my standard ride along the coast from Portland to Brunswick or Bath and back.
Any of the midcoast peninsulas between Brunswick and Rockland are all great. This includes Phippsburg, Boothbay. Getting to Boothbay from route 1 on bike is certainly doable, but not the greatest with no shoulder and traffic. I really like the Damariscotta/Pemaquid area. Of course Camden, and of course Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI, as have been noted.

To throw out some oddballs between Belfast and MDI as getaways, not necessarily riding-specific, I would mention Blue Hill as another quintessential quaint New England coastal town, and Deer Isle and/or Isle Au Haut. Isle Au Haut is accessible by ferry, but you cannot take cars on the ferry. Very limited services and only one small B and B. We rode our tandem out there last year as part of our annual Down East tour, camping in Stonington on Deer Isle. I would not describe Isle Au Haut as a ride destination per se, though we enjoyed riding the gravel roads looping around the island and playing, lunching, and swimming on deserted beaches and rocky shoreline. Given that there are no cars and very limited lodging it makes a great escape getaway.
These all sit on a land mass about same latitude as MDI that juts out from the mainland, too big to be called a peninsula.

This year we are also planning an overnight to North Haven, taking ferry from Rockland. That is another sort of quiet option for a getaway.

Daveyk
07-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Check out proven routes from nerandonneurs.org and crw.org

Restaurants:
BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge
Oysters at at Row 34 in Boston or Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury
Lobster Roll at Raw Bar in Mashpee (if still open then)
Whole Lobster st Chauncey Creek in Kittery, Maine

Brewerys:
Jacks Abby/Springdale in Framingham
Barrel House Z in Weymouth

Non-beer alternative: Wiggly Bridge Distillery in York, Maine

Pats and Red Sox will be playing then

This is a great sting

572cv
07-13-2018, 08:10 PM
- El Cortijo in an old diner on Bank St in Burlington for some lively Mexican food.
- A Single Pebble for wonderful Chinese food, also on Bank St.
- The magnificent Breeding Barn at Shelburne Farms was built in 1890 or so and was the largest open span wooden structure in the US until just before WW2.

Fine suggestions here from NHA...!

The Breeding Barn was the largest enclosed space in North America until the Chicago Mercantile Exchange was built. I worked on the renovation concepts. Shelburne Farms also offers dinners at the main house inn, and on a sunny summer evening, it is a sublime and evocative setting.
In Burlington, there are a number of fun places on Pine Street, where its just plain happening. Breweries, ice cream, eateries. City Market has great quick eats, take out too ( I'm partial, though, as the architect of the place).
If passing through my town of Hinesburg, Frost Brewery is a nice stop on a Friday afternoon. They are producing some very nice brew. The bar at the Hinesburg Public House has a very good rotating local selection of beers on draft. The Bristol Bakery branch here in Hinesburg has very good vegetarian take out, for picnics and such. Getting a take out and going to the Charlotte Beach for sunset on a nice night is great.
If you head down to Middlebury, the little city of Vergennes, on the way, has a compact main street with some fine eateries, a brewery, and some good shops.
Middlebury, in addition to its breweries, has the Otter Creek Bakery. Get an olive twist and an orange chocolate chip cookie to go, everything is great.
Speaking of bakeries, the Bristol Bakery in Bristol, Sweet Simone's in Richmond, The Red Hen in Middlesex, are also quite good. If you come across any bread from Elmore Mountain Bakery, grab that too.

We are particularly blessed in Vermont right now with great bakeries, breweries, fromageries (yes, I dragged in a French word) and tons of value added local food products (veggie and meat). Its been just wonderful, and I hope the OP enjoys it thoroughly.

cash05458
07-14-2018, 01:45 PM
If you are doing Burlington, then I would say definitely give the Champlain Islands a go...great lakeside roads all around and some of the best riding in the area...very safe and little traveled roads as well..a friend of mine rents out cute little cottages here in Grand Isle for about 75 bucks per night which would put you central to everything via the different islands by bike...if you want her number I could dig it up for you...

PNW
07-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Great suggestions. Booked all of our nights except for the last three which will be in Mass. We will not be biking this trip, but on the next trip I plan to!

fmradio516
07-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Check out proven routes from nerandonneurs.org and crw.org

Restaurants:
BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge
Oysters at at Row 34 in Boston or Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury
Lobster Roll at Raw Bar in Mashpee (if still open then)
Whole Lobster st Chauncey Creek in Kittery, Maine

Brewerys:
Jacks Abby/Springdale in Framingham
Barrel House Z in Weymouth

Non-beer alternative: Wiggly Bridge Distillery in York, Maine

Pats and Red Sox will be playing then

This is a great sting

+1 for BTs. I lived in Texas for a while and this is the closest thing!

n1ey
07-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Hey all, my wife and I will be taking a 10-14 day vacation and decided to visit the NE SEPTEMBER 17th-OCTOBER 1st. We are booking the flights but have never been to that part of the country but are very excited for the sight seeing, food culture, beer culture, and exploring. As you know, I am a big beer guy and have picked 8 breweries that I need/want to stop at.

We would love recommendations on comfortable, yet reasonable lodging along the way. Typically AirBnB is the route that I go but want to keep it affordable if possible.

I know many members here live in these three states and am glad that they are close together driving wise. We would love recommendations on places to sight see, hike, restaurants, FRESH SEAFOOD, wine bars, national parks, tours?, etc...we are OPEN to recommendations. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Don't eat seafood unless you are in Maine, New Bedford, or Rhode Island. Seriously. Places don't have fresh seafood.

Give yourself plenty of time. You can spend days in Vermont. I wouldn't spend days in Boston...go north. If you wanted to spend 3 days in Arcadia along the coast in Maine, then you will love it. The temperature could be starting to drop. It could be 50F, while you are there.

I would skip over much of New Hampshire. Vermont -> Manchester, Woodstock, Burlington, etc. In Mass consider Berkshires.

bill

Bruce K
07-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Seriously, Bill? That’s a pretty limited list.

If I can’t get fresh seafood here in my hometown, there is something seriously wrong.

Any place coastal should have fresh seafood. It just depends what you are looking for. Lobsters and clams are available fresh along the whole New England Coast. Fish, you need to be in larger cities and towns along the way.

BK

sitzmark
07-19-2018, 08:01 AM

If I can’t get fresh seafood here in my hometown, there is something seriously wrong.

Any place coastal should have fresh seafood. It just depends what you are looking for. Lobsters and clams are available fresh along the whole New England Coast. Fish, you need to be in larger cities and towns along the way.

BK

I do remember walking down to the Cohasset harbor when my parents lived there to pick up seafood from the local fish shack when the family's boats returned. They sold retail and loaded up trucks for delivery to local restaurants. Close to fresh ... the catch did have to travel in from sea. LOL

buddybikes
07-19-2018, 08:22 AM
>>Don't eat seafood unless you are in Maine, New Bedford, or Rhode Island. Seriously. Places don't have fresh seafood.

We live on the ocean and get our seafood from local retail outlet, and cooking this versus going to grocery is pretty substantial. Absolute best is "off the boat" got some scallops from co-op in Chatham MA - they went into the fry pan within 3 hours. They are memerable.

Live seafood, lobsters I don't see difference, since creature meets his maker when entering pot.

C40_guy
07-19-2018, 09:00 AM

BK

No kidding. But as a fish snob, I'm still disappointed in the offerings at my local fish store. No Copper River salmon, no red snapper, no grouper. :)

I can get wild salmon on Cape Cod...but it has traveled 3000 miles to get there.

PNW
09-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Alright..so here is our plan with dates and lodging.

9/17- Fly in to Boston, stay one evening because we arrive late

9/18-9/20- Staying two nights in Burlington, VT

9/20-9/22- Staying two nights in Stowe, VT

9/22-9/24- Making the trek to Maine. Two nights in Rockland, ME

9/24-9/26- Two nights in Glenburn, ME on Lake Pushaw to relax and head to Bar Harbor for a day

9/26-9/27- One day and evening in Portland, ME

9/27-9/30- Three nights in Boston, Red Sox game, tour, etc then fly home

djg21
09-05-2018, 12:14 PM
If you’re in the Burlington/Middlebury VT area, take the ferry a cross lake Champlain to either Essex NY (from Charlotte) or to Port Kent from Burlington (longer) and drive over to the Ausable Brewing Company. It’s a great place. You can make it a day trip and checkout out Lake Placid or Ausable Chasm first. If you’re bringing your bikes, the riding on the NY side is much better than it is around Burlington and Ausable Chasm just developed a MTB trail network.

https://www.ausablebrewing.com

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47988-d7376156-Reviews-Ausable_Brewing_Company-Keeseville_New_York.html

PNW
09-17-2018, 11:31 AM
We fly out this afternoon from PDX. I can’t wait for this trip...a two week vacation is what I need.

MattTuck
09-17-2018, 11:38 AM
Presuming you're driving from Boston up to Burlington tomorrow, I'd suggest eating lunch at any of the following places that are within minutes of Interstate 89 (please check websites to confirm they are open tomorrow for lunch, as sometimes their schedules can be funky):

Prohibition Pig, in Waterbury, VT (also has a brewery in back)
Chef Brad's Crazy Side, in Quechee, VT (a guy serving food out of a trailer, outside dining, so nix it if it is raining)
Worthy Burger, in South Royalton, VT

PNW
09-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Presuming you're driving from Boston up to Burlington tomorrow, I'd suggest eating lunch at any of the following places that are within minutes of Interstate 89 (please check websites to confirm they are open tomorrow for lunch, as sometimes their schedules can be funky):

Prohibition Pig, in Waterbury, VT (also has a brewery in back)

Chef Brad's Crazy Side, in Quechee, VT (a guy serving food out of a trailer, outside dining, so nix it if it is raining)

Worthy Burger, in South Royalton, VT

Yes we will be! We pick up our rental car at around 8:30. A good burger is hard to beat, can’t wait. Are you familiar with Burlington? We will be checking out the lake and renting bikes one day but would love restaurant recommendations as well if you have any!

572cv
09-17-2018, 02:14 PM
.....Are you familiar with Burlington? We will be checking out the lake and renting bikes one day but would love restaurant recommendations as well if you have any!

There are, I think, a few Paceliners in the BTV area. If you are going to check out the West Coast of New England (aka 'the lake'), the bike path on the old rail bed going north from the waterfront to the causeway around Mallet's Bay, is pretty easy but really beautiful. There are lots of good restaurants, but we like Bleu Restaurant, inside the Courtyard Burlington Harbor for its consistency and good seafood. Leunig's, at the corner of Church and College, is always good too. There is a great and growing beer and eats scene on Pine Street heading south from the center of town. Arts too. And don't forget the picnic option! Great take out eats from the City Market at 89 S. Winooski, hot dish or cold, sandwiches, olives, great bread, cheese, wine, beer.... then to the waterfront for the sunset if it is clear. You can spread out on the grass somewhere or find a picnic table, or sneak around back of the Echo Center where it is quiet after hours and watch the harbor and the Adirondacks in the distance.

On your way between Burlington and Stowe, you can get off the interstate at Richmond, and get some very tasty treats at Sweet Simone's on the main drag of town, which, btw, is about a block long.

In Burlington, if you aren't looking for greatness in bikes, but good functionality, Local Motion on the bike path behind the old Union Station has lots of them. If you are feeling more ambitious than the bike path, there are numerous routes, the most scenic of which, I feel, are to the south into Shelburne, Charlotte, Ferrisburg, Hinesburg, and Addison County.

And speaking of Shelburne, the Inn at Shelburne Farms is a special, if moderately pricey, spot for a supper. Shelburne Farms is one of the most beautiful late 19th/early 20th century estates in the country, and well worth a visit if you have time.

If you have any questions about a particular idea, feel free to pm me. I should be around off and on this week. Bienvenue a Vermont!

MrDangerPants
09-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Prohibition Pig, in Waterbury, VT

As much as I like the Prohibition Pig, if you're stopping in Waterbury I would recommend The Blackback Pub (http://www.theblackbackpub.com/) (right across the street from the Pig).

VT Skier
09-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Completely agree. But even better, wait until you get to Stowe and have lunch at the Trapp Family Lodge, in the main dining room in a window seat. Trees here are just starting to change, and their food is excellent. Take a walk (or ride) on their trails after. Also take advantage of the Stowe recreation path.

Blackback is very good, but it's mostly pub food (albeit upscale) and beer, which is available everywhere in Vermont. The Reservoir in Waterbury has pub food as good as Blackback, although simpler and less expensive, and an extremely extensive beer list. But only open for lunch on weekends.

I don't think Sweet Simone's is worth a side trip, but the Red Hen Bakery (just off I-89 Exit 9) definitely is, if you're driving south of the Stowe exit (#10). Or try Bohemian or Birchgrove if you feel like visiting our capital (Exit 8).

Weather, like trees, is also changing (getting cooler), but it should be dry for your visit. If you're driving up here from Logan, there are great restaurants in Manchester and Concord NH, if you get hungry on the way. Or in White River Junction, VT.

Enjoy.

572cv
09-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Completely agree. But even better, wait until you get to Stowe and have lunch at the Trapp Family Lodge, in the main dining room in a window seat. Trees here are just starting to change, and their food is excellent. Take a walk (or ride) on their trails after. Also take advantage of the Stowe recreation path.

Blackback is very good, but it's mostly pub food (albeit upscale) and beer, which is available everywhere in Vermont.

I don't think Sweet Simone's is worth a side trip, but the Red Hen Bakery (just off I-89 Exit 10) definitely is, if you're driving south of the Stowe exit (#9).

Weather, like trees, is also changing (getting cooler), but it should be dry for your visit. Enjoy.

All good suggestions. The Red Hen is definitely worth a stop.

schwa86
09-17-2018, 08:08 PM
At some point on the VT leg of your trip, acquire a Lawson's sip of sunshine. You won't regret it.

merlinmurph
09-17-2018, 09:13 PM
You're driving from Stowe VT to Rockland ME? Wow. I'm not sure you can get they-ah from he-ah. When I was in college (a very long time ago), and we drove from Waterville ME to Middlebury VT for a football game. I remember it being about a 12-beer trip.

Seriously though, there are no main roads that go east-west in northern New England. It will be a journey.

Have a great trip! You're hitting all great spots.

Louis
09-17-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure you can get they-ah from he-ah.

One summer years ago I was walking along the Hanover NH Green, when some tourists stopped to asked for directions. I was sooo tempted to put on my best NH accent and say that, but decided to play it straight.

PNW
09-17-2018, 09:47 PM
You're driving from Stowe VT to Rockland ME? Wow. I'm not sure you can get they-ah from he-ah. When I was in college (a very long time ago), and we drove from Waterville ME to Middlebury VT for a football game. I remember it being about a 12-beer trip.

Seriously though, there are no main roads that go east-west in northern New England. It will be a journey.

Have a great trip! You're hitting all great spots.

Stowe to Glenburne actually! Then from Glenburne to Rockland. Is there no path that way?!

bikinchris
09-17-2018, 10:33 PM
I hope you are taking a ballpark tour. Walking around that great venue and visiting the green monster alone is amazing,

MattTuck
09-17-2018, 10:41 PM
Stowe to Glenburne actually! Then from Glenburne to Rockland. Is there no path that way?!

No main east west roads, like highways that far north. There are plenty of byways. Enjoy the trip. As you pass the exit for Grantham new Hampshire, you will be right by my house.

merlinmurph
09-18-2018, 08:42 AM

It's just that there are no interstates, but it makes for a great road trip. Bring lots of munchies for the ride. Rockland and Camden are worth the ride. Please let us know how it goes.

redir
09-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Having grown up in a quaint little New England town I sure do miss the beautiful Fall up there. Hopefully you have all your lodging in order because it's a zoo this time of year.

PNW
09-23-2018, 09:01 AM
What a blast so far..too much to put on here of what we have done. We are in Rockland today, about to grab some coffee and kind of going with the flow on what we plan on doing. I haven’t had lobster yet and am dying for some!