PDA

View Full Version : Straight seatpost to fix the fit?

cyan
07-03-2018, 07:58 PM
I have a frame with a 560mm ETT and 392mm reach, which feels a touch too long for me (5'10'', 31.7'' inseam, 25.5'' arm). More specifically, I've found myself moving the saddle quite forward so that: 1. My kneecap is directly on top of the spindle when the pedal is in 3 o'clock position, i.e. the KOPS method. 2. My reach to the handlebar is comfortable enough that my lower back does not strain too much after 90 mins on the saddle.

My current seatpost has a 20mm setback, now I wonder if my fit would improve by switching to a straight seatpost. Based on what I've read, there seems minimal impact on the ride quality or comfort between the setback and straight posts, at least it is a mixed bag of subjective opinions.

Would love to hear your takes on the potential pros/cons. Thanks

ultraman6970
07-03-2018, 08:01 PM
if you arent going to move the saddle a single milimiter from what it is right now, pretty much besides the looking of the bike, nothing else will change in the position.

As for how the seatpost will feel? no idea.

cyan
07-03-2018, 08:12 PM
if you arent going to move the saddle a single milimiter from what it is right now, pretty much besides the looking of the bike, nothing else will change in the position.

As for how the seatpost will feel? no idea.

So assuming the saddle is clamped at the same position on the straight post, you're saying by eliminating the 20mm setback (thus effectively moving my saddle forward in relation to the BB), my position on the bike does not change at all?

cadence90
07-03-2018, 08:14 PM
.... ..

cadence90
07-03-2018, 08:18 PM
.... ..

colker
07-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Why not get another frame that fits you better? Maybe used. Spend more and radically solve the problem.

cyan
07-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Are the saddle rails now completely backed up against the seatpost clamp; i.e. the saddle is as far forward as possible on that 20mm clamp?

Since you would be leaving the saddle nose in the same position, switching to a straight seatpost would center the saddle rails more on the seatpost clamp, which theory should feel a tiny bit comfortable (if perceptible at all).

Right now, yes, the saddle is almost as forward as possible on the setback post. Let's say I clamp the saddle on the straight post as forward as possible too, that should move the saddle nose forward, no? My intention IS to move the saddle nose further forward a little bit by adopting the straight post, though not necessarily keeping the saddle clamped at the end of its rails.

cyan
07-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Why not get another frame that fits you better? Maybe used. Spend more and radically solve the problem.

True, but I feel the problem may be perfectly fixable through this minor tweaks before going for the more expensive option.

colker
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
True, but I feel the problem may be perfectly fixable through this minor tweaks before going for the more expensive option.

I think your guess is good. MOving your saddle forward means a steeper seat angle and shorter effective top tube which is exactly what a smaller frame would do other than placing your handlebar in a lower position and maybe a shallower head tube angle.. maybe.
Yeah.. do it. And when that perfect frame comes up on the horizon, go for it.

cadence90
07-03-2018, 09:21 PM
.... ..

pbarry
07-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Your knees and power output + or - will tell you quickly if moving the seat forward is a good thing. Never change saddle fore/aft to adjust reach. That's what stems are for. jmo

mtechnica
07-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Generally speaking you shouldn't move the saddle forward to reduce reach, however it's possible the saddle does need to move forward to be in the right spot for you and coincidentally it will reduce the reach. If you move the saddle forward and don't get knee or back pain, and it doesn't feel like too much weight is on your hands and you're falling forward, then you're good to go.

cyan
07-03-2018, 10:59 PM
@cadence90, thanks for the illustrations, those definitely paint a clearer picture than what I described. Yes, I intend to adopt the straight seatpost AND adjust the saddle backward a little bit (maybe 5-10mm), so that the net movement of the saddle is 5-10mm forward.

I understand that the saddle position has more to do with the rider's position in relation to the BB/pedals than with the reach. And I wonder, besides the KOPS method, if there is any other sensible method to gauge this part of the overall fit.

ultraman6970
07-03-2018, 11:22 PM
The reason people uses kops and the bb is because are 2 fixed points, but you can fit whatever you want, or makes you feel more comfortable.

Walter from what I saw in all his bikes he uses the same contact points, in my particular case im off like 5 mm in one bike than in the other ones. For some reason that bike wants me more seat forward than the other ones, probably because the geometry is tad different. But yeah you can do whatever you want between limits obviously.

As for the reach depends a lot of how comfortable you are and the geometry of the bike and for that well, the way to fix it is with the handlebar and the stem.

Some just mentioned about getting a smaller frame but honestly at least in my opinion and size you are around my size, would be good to see a picture of the bike in question???

cadence90
07-04-2018, 12:56 AM
.... ..