PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Campy Chorus brakes...

paredown
07-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Like Mafacs! ...

A new setup for me--Chorus Skeletons and Campy Zondas on the Look 585. (Not sure which skeletons--I picked them up on a super deal a year or so ago--I have to confess--I looked at the thread about 2011 v. 2015 and I can't tell the difference.)

I'm getting some squealing braking at speed, only on the rear brake.

I took a quick look, and the pads seem positioned well vertically--no toe-in. Set up with just a little more clearance than the fronts.

Thoughts?

Black Dog
07-03-2018, 05:48 AM
Toe them in or wait until the brake track gets a bit dirty from the pads. Both will end the squeal.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Like Mafacs! ...

A new setup for me--Chorus Skeletons and Campy Zondas on the Look 585. (Not sure which skeletons--I picked them up on a super deal a year or so ago--I have to confess--I looked at the thread about 2011 v. 2015 and I can't tell the difference.)

I'm getting some squealing braking at speed, only on the rear brake.

I took a quick look, and the pads seem positioned well vertically--no toe-in. Set up with just a little more clearance than the fronts.

Thoughts?

I think ya ought to toe them in a smidgen..:)

paredown
07-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys!

AngryScientist
07-03-2018, 08:42 AM
if the brake blocks look shiny and hard, hit them with some sandpaper to get back to the softer material - that should help too.

SoCal Al
07-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Definite toe-in. I wrap a rubber band (not tight) around the rear end of the brake carrier to set them up. Works like a charm!

bigbill
07-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Or fold a business card in half to set the toe in. Mine would make dogs bark on the first couple of rides even with the toe in set. I ended up sanding the surface of the pads.

jrsbike
07-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Buy ear plugs. Cures all sorts of noises.

Tony T
07-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Or fold a business card in half to set the toe in. Mine would make dogs bark on the first couple of rides even with the toe in set. I ended up sanding the surface of the pads.

I use Scotchbrite.

Jeff N.
07-04-2018, 09:30 AM
I couldn't get rid of the LOUD squealing of the rear brake on my Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites with the appropriate brake pads. Toe-in, sanding, everything tried. No help. So I put a dab of Triflow on each brake track. Braking was slow at first, of course, but it's fine now and squeal is GONE!:banana:

cachagua
07-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Toe-in, sanding, everything tried. No help. So I put a dab of Triflow on each brake track. Braking was slow at first, of course, but it's fine now and squeal is GONE!

I wasn't going to say anything, but I used to do that routinely. I'd wipe my finger on the nozzle of my bottle of Phil oil and touch the rim in a few places on each side.

I guess this is the same principle as waiting 'til the rim gets dirty, as mentioned above... because I always needed to do it after mounting new sewups, which process necessarily involved cleaning the rims with some mean solvent or other, and the surface that leaves tends to be grabbier.

Of course, I'm talkin' alloy rims. No idea if it'd work with other kinds.

paredown
07-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Toe in a little seemed to help, although there was enough light rain (more like condensation hanging in the air) that it's hard to tell if it really (mostly) gone.

Thanks again all.