PDA

View Full Version : Change your mind after selling?

C40_guy
07-03-2018, 04:51 AM
For me, it was a Hot Tubes cyclocross bike that Toby Stanton custom built for me. Long story behind the purchase/build, and I raced it for a few years.

Then I found a Colnago CX frame and built it up. Thought to myself "who needs more than one 'cross bike?"

Sold the Hot Tubes on ebay to a racer in NY. Regretted selling it even before handing it over. Wrote the guy a year later, asking if he was interested in selling it back.

So...the partial answer to the question "who needs more than one 'cross bike" is me. Turns out I need five.

Current 'cross stable:

Hot Tubes (set up as single speed)
Colnago Prestige CX
Colnago Dream CX
Colnago Master CX (unicorn!)
LightSpeed Blue Mountain

...and a Trek I'm building up for my son. At this point, I've been saying this for so long, I should probably say I'm "aging" it for him... :)

Who else has repurchased a bike they had sold?

oldpotatoe
07-03-2018, 07:58 AM
For me, it was a Hot Tubes cyclocross bike that Toby Stanton custom built for me. Long story behind the purchase/build, and I raced it for a few years.

Then I found a Colnago CX frame and built it up. Thought to myself "who needs more than one 'cross bike?"

Sold the Hot Tubes on ebay to a racer in NY. Regretted selling it even before handing it over. Wrote the guy a year later, asking if he was interested in selling it back.

So...the partial answer to the question "who needs more than one 'cross bike" is me. Turns out I need five.

Current 'cross stable:

Hot Tubes (set up as single speed)
Colnago Prestige CX
Colnago Dream CX
Colnago Master CX (unicorn!)
LightSpeed Blue Mountain

...and a Trek I'm building up for my son. At this point, I've been saying this for so long, I should probably say I'm "aging" it for him... :)

Who else has repurchased a bike they had sold?

Sold my 1985 Ciocc to Chad(now owner of Above Category) when he was in Boulder..about 2003 or so...he left, went to CA..got married and started AC...I yaked with him and asked if he still had the Ciocc..he did, never really rode it, I bought it back..and still have it.:)

Nooch
07-03-2018, 07:59 AM
man, damn near every time, lol.

but i'm not rich. so one bike has to parlay into the next, just how it works.

I'm thankful the one I regretted most I was able to get back (the pronto). The others, not too big a deal.

But seriously -- I tried (meaning, sent an email to see if there was a possibility) to get back my caad9, my crux, my pronto. I'd buy my bedford back if my buddy wanted to sell it back to me (was his, then mine, then back to him in exchange for doing my bathroom tile), would buy back my gaulzetti (heads up, TomP :) )

Trying to think what else I've owned and sold and didn't want back.. a scattante cx bike, a cannondale cx9 (was too big), the primus mootry aero aluminum jobby (that I literally gave away here, hope it's still being paid forward, my langster, my trek 1000 (in glorious red white and blue trim)...

I'd say it's not uncommon. One of the biggest things is that we're inclined to buy bikes to see what's different about them than what we currently own. When it comes down to it, in an ideal world, we'd be able to afford both and go back and forth. My issue is I sell to buy, and then when I'm not blown out of the water, have my regrets.

jamesdak
07-03-2018, 08:11 AM
Not yet but if my Scott built 1999 Schwinn Circuit shows up on the market again I will. I miss that bike.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165666191.jpg

joosttx
07-03-2018, 08:28 AM
I kinda wish I didnt sell my Bilenky. I really wish it wasnt a SS coupler bike more. If it were not a SS coupler bike I would never sold it.

veggieburger
07-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Used to have a Bike Friday. Thing rattled over crappy streets and needed to be checked and tightened before every ride.....but it was fun. People stared. Great for smooth paths. I miss having a travel bike.

I would attempt to repurchase, but I think it's pedaling around Singapore right now.

ltwtsculler91
07-03-2018, 08:52 AM
man, damn near every time, lol.

but i'm not rich. so one bike has to parlay into the next, just how it works.

I'm thankful the one I regretted most I was able to get back (the pronto). The others, not too big a deal.

But seriously -- I tried (meaning, sent an email to see if there was a possibility) to get back my caad9, my crux, my pronto. I'd buy my bedford back if my buddy wanted to sell it back to me (was his, then mine, then back to him in exchange for doing my bathroom tile), would buy back my gaulzetti (heads up, TomP :) )

Trying to think what else I've owned and sold and didn't want back.. a scattante cx bike, a cannondale cx9 (was too big), the primus mootry aero aluminum jobby (that I literally gave away here, hope it's still being paid forward, my langster, my trek 1000 (in glorious red white and blue trim)...

I'd say it's not uncommon. One of the biggest things is that we're inclined to buy bikes to see what's different about them than what we currently own. When it comes down to it, in an ideal world, we'd be able to afford both and go back and forth. My issue is I sell to buy, and then when I'm not blown out of the water, have my regrets.

But would you buy back the Moots? :eek:

Personally, I haven't reached that point yet but I think my current stable is mostly keepers.
The No22 Reactor is going nowhere, Fabrica team bike will likely stick around, same with the KBedford since he may not build another... :banana::banana::banana:

My first two bikes a CAAD8 (the newer cheap version) and an Emonda ALR which are going to my dad and cousin, won't exactly be missed but they're not special like the others..

GregL
07-03-2018, 09:03 AM
My 2007 Cannondale Six13 Team. For my tastes, a perfect balance of stiffness and light weight. The geometry was perfect for me. It was at home in a fast circuit race or a century ride with friends. So much wish I had kept it, but at least it sold to another forum member!

Greg

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697936297&stc=1&d=1489619325

DCilliams
07-03-2018, 09:08 AM
I sold my 81 Masi Prestige and have regretted it since.

quickfeet
07-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Tried getting my Rock Lobster back for over a couple years that I sold here only to find out that the bike was crumpled in a car accident. Ouch. Only bike I’ve ever regretted selling out of many, many, many bikes.

I found an indentical tubeset thanks to help on this awesome forum and will hopefully have Paul rebuild the bike for me in a couple years.

Lionel
07-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Never regretted selling anything.

Nooch
07-03-2018, 09:40 AM
But would you buy back the Moots? :eek:

Personally, I haven't reached that point yet but I think my current stable is mostly keepers.
The No22 Reactor is going nowhere, Fabrica team bike will likely stick around, same with the KBedford since he may not build another... :banana::banana::banana:

My first two bikes a CAAD8 (the newer cheap version) and an Emonda ALR which are going to my dad and cousin, won't exactly be missed but they're not special like the others..

ah, forgot about the moots. likely not, I'd say. I've got that Ti bug itched and the Pronto is likely to never leave my hands again.. While it was a great bike, for sure, that specific bike could be found again or newer/'better' with more clearance in the rear..

(and to argue, while the caad9 also would have been a dime a dozen bike, in fact I had two at one point, and hunted down another, the one I specifically tried to get back was more out of sentiment, being my first "real" bike after the trek 1000)

rallizes
07-03-2018, 11:04 AM
I sold my 81 Masi Prestige and have regretted it since.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=221331

what size are you?

velofinds
07-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Never regretted selling anything.

Same, and that goes for both cars and bikes. Doesn't mean I don't miss them - they were/are fine things and I'll still reminisce over photos occasionally - but the world is awash in toys waiting to be discovered.

johnniecakes
07-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I had a Gunnar roadie that I let a friend borrow trying to get him interested in cycling. He liked it and asked if I would sell it to him. So I sold it way too cheap. Thankfully Waterford is wise and knows a great bike when they have one so I bought new. But I have did have to pay extra for the Star Wars decal set. They just look right to my eye.

froze
07-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Yeah of course, but life goes on and I didn't really need them anyways. I sold a 2007 Mercian Vincitore Special with Campy Athena that I bought while in England, but I never rode it because it was such a work of art I was afraid to even so much as scratch it, so I sold it to a friend who begged me to sell for about 9 years! In the back of my mind I still wish I had kept it but logically it was serving me no purpose and I got what I paid for it and he's ecstatic. And then this last weekend I sold my 87 Miyata Team that had about 2,000 miles on and in excellent condition, plus my 88 Miyata 712 that was my commuter bike to a Miyata collector who saw me riding my 712 and we struck up a conversation about Miyata's, he was riding a 912 I think it was, and he wanted to see my Team so I took him over to my house and he was awestruck over the Team, he had been searching for one for years and couldn't find one in the condition he wanted, then without warning he offered be $1,000 for both which I accepted of course. I sort of wish I hadn't sold them, but again the Team wasn't being ridden so there was no logical reason to have it, though I was riding the 712 I have other bikes I can use to commute on, plus my wife thinks I'm crazy for having so many bikes, so I sold them and she's a bit happier and I have $1,000.

This last year also saw me purging my vintage car collection too, mostly because my friend that had a climate controlled pole barn along with 30 plus vintage cars died leaving me no place to store my cars once the house was sold, so I sold 3 of my classics. I was really tormented about selling those, but like I said I had no choice. Besides I think as time goes by and the Millennials begins to take over they are showing that they have no interest in vintage stuff and especially cars, so maybe the timing was right.

C40_guy
07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
I had two frames that I never built (but really intended to...lots of others were purchased with intent to resell).

Bought them, kept them for a while, intended to built them up, never got a roundtuit, released...

First was a Tesch S-22. Very cool frame and history. Just seemed too beefy for me.

Second was a Raleigh 753 Team Pro. Looked for one for a while, found it on ebay, turned out the seller was an old friend, Mike Kone! I met him when he was running Bicycle Classics in Needham, and built his first website (https://web.archive.org/web/19961220112727/http://bicycleclassics.com:80/). That was a long time ago!

I pulled together a complete Campy Super Record group for this bike, then lost interest. Sold the frame, still have the group gathering dust in my shop. :(

doomridesout
07-03-2018, 12:31 PM
The first custom I ever had made for me was an IF Crown Jewel in vanilla shake and light lavender. At least it sold to a family friend who really loves it.

And,

My Moots Compact was sold for about 3mm more tire clearance... silly.

But on balance, it's all just stuff. Real regrets are for prison, breakups, and family estrangements.

unterhausen
07-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I know someone who sold a bike back to the person he bought it from. Both transactions were on ebay. I was never particularly impressed with that bike, but I guess the original owner was.

shoota
07-03-2018, 12:47 PM
My 2007 Cannondale Six13 Team. For my tastes, a perfect balance of stiffness and light weight. The geometry was perfect for me. It was at home in a fast circuit race or a century ride with friends. So much wish I had kept it, but at least it sold to another forum member!

Greg

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697936297&stc=1&d=1489619325

Yep, same here. The only bike I've really regretted selling was my Six13. It was somewhat unique in that it was one of the few models that also had a carbon seat tube. And it was a 55cm which was only offered in a frameset. Amazing ride quality, I really f'ed that one up.

C50
07-03-2018, 03:04 PM
I had a steel Landshark many years ago that John actually said was probably one of the plainest frames he ever painted, gloss black with yellow logos. He thought it was boring and I loved it!! I don't know if I would say I regret selling it because the bikes that I have now I absolutely love BUT that bike was a gateway into what a high end, refined, hand crafted machine could offer and even if that was just some intangible joy it brought me to be riding a unique bike, to me it was worth it. Every now and again I do a search for a black Landshark with yellow logos just to see if it is out there and if I ever find it I think I would have to buy it back just for the lessen (and joy) it brought me and how it influenced my future choices in bikes!

foggypeake
07-03-2018, 04:28 PM
So, several years ago, in a fit of impulsiveness, I bought this Colnago Dream on Ebay from Tom Demerly: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/colnago.shtml

After riding it a few times, I knew that I wouldn't have the time to really ride it, so I sold it to someone else on Ebay after only about a month. Looking back, I can say that while I regretted the sale, I probably saved my marriage as we were trying to survive twin boys and their 2 1/2 year old brother.

Nine years later I was riding and I was talking about how great that Colnago rode and how beautiful it was, and my riding partner agreed that I was a fool to sell it. So, on a whim, I checked Ebay to see what the going rate for a Colnago Dream was. Amazingly, the exact same bike was being sold on Ebay, by the guy who I sold it to. Yes, I bought it again.

C40_guy
07-04-2018, 10:31 AM
So, several years ago, in a fit of impulsiveness, I bought this Colnago Dream on Ebay from Tom Demerly: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/colnago.shtml

Nice looking bike and great story!

I think the Dream is vastly under-rated. People see "aluminum" and assume it will have a stiff ride.

I've put 60-70 miles a day on my Dream and while it feels different than either my steel or carbon Colnagos, it isn't any less comfortable. My C50 is always my first choice for a long ride. I'd happily take either my Dream or Master Olympic if the C50 was on vacation...

booglebug
07-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Yep, Colnago Navigators B-stay for me, don’t know what I was thinking but will say my Caad 10 has filled the gap.

Jeff N.
07-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Never. I always have rolled over, in my mind, the idea of selling a bike long before I put it up for sale. However, I CAN see that happening, wanting back a bike that has been sold.

d_douglas
07-04-2018, 12:03 PM
I regret selling a Bontrager cyclocross bike that I once owned. It was my first CX bike and one of my first 'boutique' bikes, plus it was an old school Bontrager!

I sold it to a doctor when I was living in Switzerland and he rarely ever used it. I wanted to buy it back from him a few years later when I had the cash, but he resisted. I bet that thing was sold for a few hundred francs and might be in a recycling bin somewhere - sad!

It looked like this, with Campy Record:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4601179223_79f62ec9aa_o.jpg