PDA

View Full Version : Campy 1" headset bearings?

tuscanyswe
07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Hey peps, are the bearings for these suppose to be same size for both upper and lower cups?

Thanks
B

Edit: After googleing i see that they are not suppose to be the same size, that means i have the correct bearings. Then what the hell is seizing up my headset :/
Bah .)

Bentley
07-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Hey peps, are the bearings for these suppose to be same size for both upper and lower cups?

Thanks
B

Edit: After googleing i see that they are not suppose to be the same size, that means i have the correct bearings. Then what the hell is seizing up my headset :/
Bah .)

Make sure you don’t over tighten the headset. If you do it will not turn smoothly. I suggest going on line and checking the torque spec.

Ray

OtayBW
07-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Make sure you don’t over tighten the headset. If you do it will not turn smoothly. I suggest going on line and checking the torque spec.

Ray
Eesh! How do you measure torque on a (couple of) headset wrenches? :eek:
I've always done it by feel, but uh-oh....

Mark McM
07-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Eesh! How do you measure torque on a (couple of) headset wrenches?

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/19C282_AS01?$mdmain$

oldpotatoe
07-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks
B

Bah .)

Top bearings installed upside down?

bikinchris
07-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Assuming you didn't reuse the caged bearings and put in loose balls, make sure you didn't put too many in. You don't fill the race with bearings. Fill until you don't have room, then take out one ball.

tuscanyswe
07-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Thx all. 1" threadless so you use a regular screw for preload and the no of balls are fixed.

Yeah bearings installed correctly, not upside down.

The only reasonable explanation is that the half damaged crown race works good enough to support the bearings when the preload is really low and when i put more torque the bearings find a way to try to push down into the part where the race is missing some material.

I get a new race the next week or so (thanks to friendly forumte Gsinill), guess ill have to wait until then to test ride properly as finding a fitting race in stockhom seem impossible :/

ultraman6970
07-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Oh... do you have the nylon compression washer?? Im assuming the threadless version just in case.

W/o the washer the headset wont work. And at the time to buy those headsets you have to be sure the piece is included, many sellers lose them or they dont even know the piece should be there for the headset to work.

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/PjQAAOSwB4BaDdfw/s-l640.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gqoAAOSwUoNaDhep/s-l300.jpg

tuscanyswe
07-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Thanks ultra, yes i have one for the top cup.

ultraman6970
07-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Im out of options, because i never had a problem with those headsets besides having the plastic piece missing. The other option is that the nylon piece is worn???

tuscanyswe
07-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Hmm

Got my new crown race installed today but headset still locks up with proper pre load.
Its not really noticable when just holding the bike, at least not as much as when im riding it. I can ride it but it just wants to track in whatever way the bars are pointing so i would need hand force on the bars to make it turn, a simple hip movement when not holding the bar is not enough nore is just leaning and balancing so riding no hands is more or less not possible.

Hmm any ideas of what to do, other than to just get a new headset argh?
Can to little grease do someting like this even on more or less new bearings? Still have quite a bit of it i think.

I dont have any good ideas left.
Perhaps i need to level the headtube with a reamer?
Does one do this on chromed lugs without issues?

-----------------

Have installed both cups properly
Lower bearing is the bigger one upper bearing is the smaller one
Both bearings are oriented with the slimmer tapered bit towards the headtube
Nylon piece installed around steerer in the upper cup with the "cut out" part facing upwards

The balance between what feels almost to loose but probably okay in the stand and what feels completely stuck (as in needs way to much force to turn the bars) is about 1/2 a turn on the hex key which seems way to little.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Hmm

Got my new crown race installed today but headset still locks up with proper pre load.
Its not really noticable when just holding the bike, at least not as much as when im riding it. I can ride it but it just wants to track in whatever way the bars are pointing so i would need hand force on the bars to make it turn, a simple hip movement when not holding the bar is not enough nore is just leaning and balancing so riding no hands is more or less not possible.

Hmm any ideas of what to do, other than to just get a new headset argh?
Can to little grease do someting like this even on more or less new bearings? Still have quite a bit of it i think.

I dont have any good ideas left.
Perhaps i need to level the headtube with a reamer?
Does one do this on chromed lugs without issues?

-----------------

Have installed both cups properly
Lower bearing is the bigger one upper bearing is the smaller one
Both bearings are oriented with the slimmer tapered bit towards the headtube
Nylon piece installed around steerer in the upper cup with the "cut out" part facing upwards

The balance between what feels almost to loose but probably okay in the stand and what feels completely stuck (as in needs way to much force to turn the bars) is about 1/2 a turn on the hex key which seems way to little.

There’s a race that goes above top bearings, under top cap, below plastic sleeve with notches .is it there?

tuscanyswe
07-24-2018, 02:54 PM
There’s a race that goes above top bearings, under top cap, below plastic sleeve with notches .is it there?

*** lol. Guess that could be the reason. Thought i looked at the blueprints carefully and figured i had all the parts.

Edit. guess its the one in this pic where it almost looks like its part of the upper cup. Argh how could i miss this. I thought the nylon thing was instead of a race. Buying used headsets with missing parts sucks. You live and you learn one hopes .)

Thanks again, you are the best!

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&major=1&minor=16&description=Record+Threadless+Headset&vendorCode=CAMP

oldpotatoe
07-25-2018, 08:07 AM
*** lol. Guess that could be the reason. Thought i looked at the blueprints carefully and figured i had all the parts.

Edit. guess its the one in this pic where it almost looks like its part of the upper cup. Argh how could i miss this. I thought the nylon thing was instead of a race. Buying used headsets with missing parts sucks. You live and you learn one hopes .)

Thanks again, you are the best!

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&major=1&minor=16&description=Record+Threadless+Headset&vendorCode=CAMP

HUZZAH..glad you found the issue..:)