PDA

View Full Version : Fizik saddle bags?

David Kirk
07-01-2018, 10:19 PM
I like Fizik saddles and have been intreated by the integrated clip-in saddle bags they offer but I've never seen one in person. Can anyone speak to how well they work and how stable and steady they are?

I worry that there would be play in the plastic clip system that would allow then to knock around or wobble.

Anyone use one? Would my super-anal self be happy with how secure the interface between saddle and bag is?

dave

cadence90
07-01-2018, 10:26 PM
.... ..

Edit: PM sent instead.

herb5998
07-01-2018, 10:32 PM
When I was using Fizik saddles, I used the medium ICS bag, seemed to work fine, no issues or failures in the 4-5
Years I was using Fizik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustychisel
07-01-2018, 11:47 PM
Overall, ICS is really not a fantastic idea.

Insofar as it matters, I disagree, and think they're a brilliant idea, not well designed or realised.

Clamp is small, will rattle, and likely come adrift. Of course, what you really don't want is to be 50km down the road and not know your swag is no longer there. You could modify and instal a safety chain or otherwise, but why was it not designed properly in the first place.

They're costly for what they are. The small was really small, you could just about fit a spare tube, 2 x levers and a 5mm Allen key in. Almost.

The light - interchangable with bag - is the piss poorest excuse for proper cycling lighting I've ever come across. Period. Small, weak and useless. That you could have one without the other was the icing on the cake of suckiness. Maybe they've changed it now, it's been some years since I bothered.

You can do much much better, I suppose I'm saying.

jwalther
07-02-2018, 05:48 AM
PM sent.

Bob Ross
07-02-2018, 06:07 AM
The light - interchangable with bag - is the piss poorest excuse for proper cycling lighting I've ever come across. Period. Small, weak and useless. That you could have one without the other was the icing on the cake of suckiness. Maybe they've changed it now, it's been some years since I bothered.

I had the light for a couple years. Until I lost it, I thought it was not the suckiest excuse for proper cycling lighting. It was certainly in the Top 10 Suckiest Excuses For Proper Cycling Lighting, and it may have even been tied for third or second on that list. But I have seen -- and used -- worse, so I did not mind the fizik light's inadequacies as an illumination device.

What I hated was the ICS, which is why I lost the light. Stupid POS clip has no business on such a nice saddle.

verticaldoug
07-02-2018, 06:13 AM
I think it depends on which saddle. I have a regular ARIONE on one bike and the clip system has never failed.

I have a second bike with ARIONE R1 Versus which has the release channel and the seat flexes too much when I hit a large bump and the saddle bag ejects. It is like being a triathlete with a bottle launcher on the rear seat.

https://www.fizik.com/uk_en/men/saddles/road/arione-r1-versus-evo-regular.html

Don't buy this saddle

mcteague
07-02-2018, 06:19 AM
I had one but the pin that holds with plastic bits together, at the spring hinge, tended to drift out of the retention hole. It never dropped off, I just snapped it back in place, but lost all confidence in it. I just knew that if it ever completely fell off I would not likely know until miles down the road. I use Arundel bags now.

Tim

macaroon
07-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Have only ever seen one in use, then it broke.

NeauDL
07-02-2018, 06:58 AM
I have the medium bag on two road bikes, one an Arione Versus and the other an Arione Versus X. The bags swing freely about the hinge, which is eyecatching and not a problem although the movement would be violent and I would worry about it on a mountain bike. I've never had a bag come loose. I detach the bag when putting the bike in the car so as not to put lateral stress on the hinge. The strap easily holds one or two taillights. The bag sits farther back than the seatpost so my thighs never hit the bag during pedaling. I think it's a great design and wish it were compatible with other saddles.

charliedid
07-02-2018, 07:11 AM
They are terrible.

Stuff likes to fall out due to zipper design. Hinge looses up and can shift mid ride....talk about anal ocd stuff. Drove me nuts.

Also the clip and mount if not always kept perfectly free of debris and clean likes to jam up and not easily remove.

Pass

:)

djg21
07-02-2018, 08:10 AM
I like ICS. I prefer Arundel saddle bags, but use ICS to hold a mount for my Fly 6ce camera. https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/?tag=ics
The mount, which is made with a 3D printer, works great.

David Kirk
07-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Thank you all for the input. It confirms what I was thinking....that the general concept is a good one but that the execution comes up short. I think a clip-in bag could be done very well if properly designed but it seems that the Fizik system comes up short.

I'm going to go traditional and strap a bag to the rails and forget about it.

Thanks again,

dave

sitzmark
07-02-2018, 09:32 AM
I like Fizik saddles and have been intreated by the integrated clip-in saddle bags they offer but I've never seen one in person. Can anyone speak to how well they work and how stable and steady they are?

I worry that there would be play in the plastic clip system that would allow then to knock around or wobble.

Anyone use one? Would my super-anal self be happy with how secure the interface between saddle and bag is?

dave

Have Fizik integrated saddles across 7 bikes and use the small bag to carry tube(s) and basics. The clip is secure and works well. I think I have 4-5 small bags and a medium size. The oldest small bag (one I use most) is about 8 years old and still fine. Some have reported the plastic bracket attached to the bag has broken. I bought spare bags so if one did break I would have back up ... so far no breaks. Clip system makes moving spares between bikes a 5 second task.

There is a small amount of play in the clip that allows the bag to "jiggle" so depending on what you're carrying inside and how it's packed the contents can rattle. The small bag packs so tight that rattles are not likely. A couple of bikes have a GoPro rear rail mount that functions as a "bumper" and stops all movement of the bags when camera isn't attached (one or other - can't use camera and bag). When using camera I pack spares in 1/2 bottle "keg" and slide in a bottle cage.

jemoryl
07-02-2018, 09:41 AM
FWIW, I've used a non-clip Fizik bag with Velcro straps which lost their function in a much shorter time than they should. Not up to the standard of their saddles, I'm happy with an Arundel Dual.

fa63
07-02-2018, 10:06 AM
I use the Lezyne M-Caddy QR on all of my bikes; has been working great for me. Stays secure and quiet even on very rough roads.

Thank you all for the input. It confirms what I was thinking....that the general concept is a good one but that the execution comes up short. I think a clip-in bag could be done very well if properly designed but it seems that the Fizik system comes up short.

I'm going to go traditional and strap a bag to the rails and forget about it.

Thanks again,

dave

pdmtong
07-02-2018, 11:17 AM
A bit late here hit I have used the small and the medium without issue. Yes the pin area develops some play. I would load the bag and then let it balance out before tightening the bolt.

I experienced zero clip failure issues and loved the ease at moving between bikes.

We have smooth roads here and I think that’s a large factor in my positive experience

That said the reports here of clip failure did concern me since the last thing I need is to lose my tube co2 etc and not even know it.

Using the Silva premio now. I bought that because of the BOA - very fast and secure.

In the old days a jannd bag was fine but rethreading the Velcro straps got tiring plus rub on my carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk