PDA

View Full Version : Another roller newbie - lots o' questions

rsl
10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Well, maybe not a lot of questions, but a few.

I'm looking to get some cheap rollers for the winter months, and would appreciate some advice.

What difference does roller diameter make?
What about the material from which the rollers are made?
Are rollers primarily for spinning, balance, and bike handling, or will I get some cardio benefit too?

Mostly, I just want something that will allow me to get a cycling fix during the Boston winter without breaking the bank, and without buying something that's a waste of my $.

Thanks!

djg
10-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Diameter: this is a key factor in the amount of work you'll have to do turning any particular gear at any particular rpm. I like the range on my poly-lytes, which are a mid (to maybe slightly smallish, but not very small) diameter roller.

Material: for the drums, pvc may be subject to uv degradation if they're out in the sun a lot (maybe something to think about if you're carting them around routinely for race warm-up), and most of the nicer rollers I know are, nowadays, sporting lathe-turned aluminum drums, but for cheap indoor use there may not be anything fundamentally wrong with the better plastic offerings. FWIW, my kreitlers have pvc (I think) end caps on the aluminum drums, and several years of use haven't produced any appreciable wear on them.

Cardio: you bet, at least for me. With my rollers, without adding a fan drag or something, a real big gear drill is out of the question. But I can absolutely get my heart rate to climb if I want.

Bradford
10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Mostly, I just want something that will allow me to get a cycling fix during the Boston winter without breaking the bank, and without buying something that's a waste of my $.

I bought a pair of Performance Technique rollers in 1991. I believe they are still pretty cheap. Plastic rollers, average diameter, nothing slick to show off to your friends. Thing is, 15 years later, they work just as well as they did when I bought them.

Pick up a pair of cheapos just like mine and you will be fine. Even better, pick up a pair on ebay for even less. Lots-o-rollers don't get used and are sold second hand.

I'm sure Kreitlers are really nice, but you know what zz Top and William would say:

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the strollers
And go get yourself some cheapo rollers
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine levis and her sweaters kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as coca-cola
But what really knocked me out was her cheapo rollers

Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With a label so dark thay wont even know its name
And the choice is up to you cause if you think it over:
You can blow your money on Kreitler drums or score some cheapo rollers
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah :cool:

William
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm sure Kreitlers are really nice, but you know what zz Top and William would say:

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the strollers
And go get yourself some cheapo rollers

Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine levis and her sweaters kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as coca-cola
But what really knocked me out was her cheapo rollers

Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With a label so dark thay wont even know its name
And the choice is up to you cause if you think it over:
You can blow your money on Kreitler drums or score some cheapo rollers
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah :cool:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :cool:

William :D

ThasFACE
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm sure Kreitlers are really nice

My experience is purely anectdotal for the outside observer, but, that said: I broke _two_ sets of cheapy minoura rollers from performance (I am not superbig, either; about 190) in a matter of four months. I finally bit the bullet and got some kreitlers which have been superb. For some people the cheaper rollers will be great, but for those who get cheaper rollers and have them break, the decision to not buy kreitlers (used or otherwise) in the first place will ultimately be a bad one. Just something to consider in the calculus, IMHO.

BoulderGeek
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
My rollers just celebrated their 25th birthday!

Palo Alto sealed aluminum 4" rollers, 1981, $100.

{time warp}
Ordered them from Bicycling, back when it was black and white and no shiny paper. "Winning" was just coming out in the "ooh, ahh" glossy format. Jaques Boyer was the shizzle, and I had a shiny new lugged 531 Raleigh SuperCourse 12 in metallic copper, with the Suntour Superbe Pro gruppo, which was so much sexier than Shimano. I was 14, and wished I could have afforded Nuovo Record.

{/time warp}

William
10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
My experience is purely anectdotal for the outside observer, but, that said: I broke _two_ sets of cheapy minoura rollers from performance (I am not superbig, either; about 190) in a matter of four months. I finally bit the bullet and got some kreitlers which have been superb. For some people the cheaper rollers will be great, but for those who get cheaper rollers and have them break, the decision to not buy kreitlers (used or otherwise) in the first place will ultimately be a bad one. Just something to consider in the calculus, IMHO.

I can't necessarily argue with what you've said, but like Bradford, my experience is different. I've had a set of cheap Nashbar rollers since about 1994. Ride them every winter. I'm a big guy and they have held up just fine. When/if they ever break, I might look for a higher end set, but I've been riding for a long time so I might be able to justify the higher price ones to add to my collection. I still prefer to ride out side.....unless the wind chill is about -30 degrees of course.

William

coylifut
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a set of the cheapo Performance technique rollers and they are fine. If I put it in a really big gear I can get the HR up into the tempo zone, but not any higher. For the most part, getting my HR up indoors has always been difficult for me.

My schedule is such that I can ride outside just about everyday before the sun goes down. However, istead of doing 2-3 hours, I get in about 1.5 and do the last 1/2 hour on the rollers.

crossjunkee
10-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I have a set of Performance rollers. They work GREAT. I splurged for the pro's b/c I like the feel of metal drums over plastic.

They happen to be on sale too. Pretty hard to beat these for the money.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=19548&item=40-2084&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

deechee
10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
>What difference does roller diameter make?
>What about the material from which the rollers are made?
>Are rollers primarily for spinning, balance, and bike handling, or will I get some cardio benefit too?

-The smaller the diameter, the tougher they are. I like knowing I can swap the drums on the Kreitlers at any time.
-Have a set of Kreitlers, beautiful. Friend has some pvc tacx rollers, no big diff. The plastic ones get ugly quickly - but if you wipe your tires clean (alcohol) I'm sure you'll be ok. plastic rollers also weigh a LOT less.
-Depending on your skill set, yes, they would be primarily spinning and balance, but the HR creeps up anyway on them. I plan on getting the fork mount this winter so I can at least some intervals this winter.

jts628
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
my cheapo pvc nashbar rollers are still going strong after 7 years, and i'm not a small guy. aluminum is nice but if you're on a budget, don't turn your nose up at pvc.

sg8357
10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Anybody try riding fixed on rollers ?

Stoopid idea or what ?

Scott G.

flydhest
10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm big and have had a set of cheap Minoura (I think) since early on in grad school, so early 1990s. They still work, just not that quiet.

L84dinr
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM

Stoopid idea or what ?

Scott G.

I have been riding my fixie Trek on rollers. Occasionally in early spring I wll ride on the road, but mostly the trek is strictly for year round roller use; for those days when I am out of time to ride outside, or the weather is awful.

petitelilpettit
10-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Stoopid idea or what ?

Scott G.

most track riders warm up on rollers. I intend to get a set of rollers within a month or two, but I'm still debating on what I should get. Yeah, I can get the Performance ones for $100, but I also can get new Kreitler rollers from my shop at cost ($300 :eek: ) I know that they are expensive, but I think I am going to ante up for them. Back to the question, I will ride my fixed on the rollers. Work up the spin, and be able to get some miles in whenever I want (though I want to take advantage of the SoCal weather). Hope this helps.

Pettit

vaxn8r
10-25-2006, 02:34 PM
>What difference does roller diameter make?
>What about the material from which the rollers are made?
>Are rollers primarily for spinning, balance, and bike handling, or will I get some cardio benefit too?

-The smaller the diameter, the tougher they are. I like knowing I can swap the drums on the Kreitlers at any time.
-Have a set of Kreitlers, beautiful. Friend has some pvc tacx rollers, no big diff. The plastic ones get ugly quickly - but if you wipe your tires clean (alcohol) I'm sure you'll be ok. plastic rollers also weigh a LOT less.
-Depending on your skill set, yes, they would be primarily spinning and balance, but the HR creeps up anyway on them. I plan on getting the fork mount this winter so I can at least some intervals this winter.
Nailed it. And I'll second it. Big ones (I have a set of Tacx) roll real easy so good for warm-up or form. Little drums (I have Dynomytes) are harder to push so you cen get a killer workout if you want to.

I've been using an electronic Taxc trainer the last few years because I like to gauge my intensity and can easily dial the effort up or down. The Watts readout may be bogus but it's reproducible. If you're thinking of a trainer and you like data this is a good one.

One thought that may influence you is what the frame of the roller is made of. My Dynomytes are so rusted out it's really pretty disgusting. The rollers themselves are perfect but the frame is trashed. My PVC Tacx rollers still look brand new. Don't know why my Kreitlers rusted. They work but they don't look good.

Finally, rollers are better for your form and probably easier on your bike too.

zap
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Rollers, jeez. I'd rather ride on ice. Sold my rollers many moons ago.

Go ahead and get some cheap ones on ebay or whatever. Make sure a get the adjustable magnetic resistance attachment too, otherwise your spinning like mad with little effort. After all, your trying to be smooth when you lay down the power.

djg
10-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Pick up a pair of cheapos just like mine and you will be fine. Even better, pick up a pair on ebay for even less. Lots-o-rollers don't get used and are sold second hand.

I'm sure Kreitlers are really nice, but :

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that lots of folks have had good luck with "cheap" rollers. My first set of rollers were bought in college and were definitely lower-end plastic jobs. They worked fine.

Still, I like the kreitlers better for various reasons--smoother, quieter, easier to level on an uneven surface, easier to transport, etc. I paid less than 300 bucks for them, brand new, delivered to my door. I guess the good news is that one doesn't have to spend that much. OTOH, given what folks on the board spend on bike stuff, I would think that I might not be the only one for whom the extra bucks for the kreitlers are worth it. And, of course, there might well be a used option no matter which brand of rollers you want.

05Fierte TI
10-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a set of Tacx rollers which i purchased some time in the early 1980's. They have the mag unit on them so resistance is not too hard to come by. At one of the higher settings, the big ring is quite a bit of resistance. The thing is, after all these years, the only thing I have replaced is the belt. The frames look great but the rollers do look a little grungy. I never thought of cleaning off the grung until now.

The Kreitlers look great but these old rollers just do not seem to die. I just realized the other piece of maintenance I did was to lube the mag unit bearing.

I suppose I will ride these things until they quit

Peter P.
10-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I know my experience isn't very current, but you get my opinion anyway.

I had a pair of rollers in the late 70's. They were plastic ones with oak end caps, from then Bike Warehouse, now Nashbar. I cracked them after a few months. The manufacturer remedied the problem by inserting wood discs inside to shore up the drum.

I remember that after a few weeks of roller riding I could spend considerable time in 52x14/13; there just wasn't the resistance. I'd definitely go for the smaller diameter rollers, second time around, but not the smallest ones as I don't have THAT MUCH horsepower.

Since I've been considering a pair of rollers lately there is only (almost) one brand I would consider-Kreitler. They're smooooth, quiet, durable, and they have a stellar reputation.

I e-mailed Kreitler recently and Hayley Tennant respondend promptly, answering all my questions. You can't put a price on customer service.

The "almost" is because I was introduced to a new brand of roller. Forget descriptions; check out the videos:

http://insideride.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=50

You definitely get what you pay for; if you can afford it, Kreitler or E-Motion are the way to go.

Frankwurst
10-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Rollers, jeez. I'd rather ride on ice. Sold my rollers many moons ago.

. After all, your trying to be smooth when you lay down the power.

Ice ain't bad when it comes to improving your handling skills but is a tough nut to crack if your tryin to lay down power,and that's comin from a man with no power to lay down. :beer:

terrytnt
10-25-2006, 07:41 PM
That was a great video for the e-motions rollers. Be even better if Kreitler had a similar video to compare products. Can anyone provide distinct differences between the two top brands?

From all the hype, you folks are persuading me to consider rollers. I've always used cycleOps fluids, but I'm intrigued with what everyone has said. My only worry is 'riding off into my furniture'. But given what I'm hearing, and my 20 years of serious riding, perhaps I've been missing something... like rollers in the winter!!!

AgilisMerlin
10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Selling a pair of rollers. Jeez, don't know how i would get through a winter.

Burning wood and roller riding go hand in hand.

Burning wood and drinking beer.

Burning wood and watching the outcome of Operation Puerto. :banana:

this is going to be one hellava' winter

Rollers are the novocaine for my winter blues.

AmerliN

toaster
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I've got some Supergo TR-1 rollers that I bought on sale for $99. They have 3 1/4" aluminum rollers. I think they work fine.

In the 53/12 and with the speedo reading about 34mph my heart rate is at or near TT levels or threshold.

I don't get where people claim that they spin up too easy, in a big gear they are a workout.

ergott
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
OK this is something that was on my mind. I am about to get a set of rollers so,
care to help me choose?

Tacx - Sporttrack
Minoura - AC Pro Roller
Elite - Parabolic

Assuming cost is not an issue, what would you get?

fiamme red
10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
That was a great video for the e-motions rollers. Be even better if Kreitler had a similar video to compare products. Can anyone provide distinct differences between the two top brands?http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20510

Marron
10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
http://teamchainreaction.com/video/hungerford/

10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Here's a good review of most of the roller options out there:

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Roller_Tests

Personally I have a couple different pairs of Kreitlers, and have tried and love a pair of the TruTrainers. They are the first rollers to challenge Kreitlers in 25 years. Absolutely check them out. I believe that if you mention the review in FGF cited above, you get free shipping. The TruTrainers are expensive, but stunning.

terrytnt
10-26-2006, 08:17 AM
The price point of Kreitlers seems a benefit over the e-motions and True Rollers. Does any feel the extra $s are worth the step up? Understand with e-motions there is a safety addition of smaller wheels on front and back rollers, but my sense is after several hours one masters the feel of rollers and this feature becomes moot. What do you gain with True?

Like Ergott, I'm also seriously considering a roller purchase

OldDog
10-26-2006, 10:06 AM
$930.00 for the True's? That's insane. The Kreit's are as good a tool as anyone needs for this purpose. A tool you will only need to buy once in your life. Mine were purchased in the late 80's. I am on my second belt, other than that they are flawless. I even ride them once in a while :p Seriously, if you think you would ever wear out a Kreitler, you need to sit back and reanalize your life and the time you spend on these contraptions.

toaster
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Like I mentioned earlier my $99 rollers are basic 3" aluminum drum and seem to work fine. What am I missing by not having rollers that cost hundreds of dollars more??

If it's smoothness I'll pass, mine are smooth enough.

manet
10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
What am I missing by not having rollers that cost hundreds of dollars more??

usually less noise

rsl
10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I appreciate the response everyone!

terrytnt
10-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Great point Olddog... I too thought True price point was insane. Alot of folks like the E-motion, espeically because of the safety additions... but this too cost several hundreds more than Kreitlers... any thoughts?

AgilisMerlin
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
:D

AmerliN

terrytnt
10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
thanks Amerlin, but not half as cool as yours :cool: . Your avatar ALWAYS catches my eye. Thanks again for the help in directing to the right place and the process to get my own.

All this talk about rollers is intriguing to me. I've been cycling for years, very accustom to stationary trainers, but now that I built my new Ottrott and can't seem to get enough riding in, I'm considering rollers for the winter. The E-motions are gaining a lot of notarity and apparently were a big hit at Interbike. But that price... wow!

OldDog
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Great point Olddog... I too thought True price point was insane. Alot of folks like the E-motion, espeically because of the safety additions... but this too cost several hundreds more than Kreitlers... any thoughts?

I've never seen the True's, until the link in this thread. How much better can any roller be than a Kreitler? Ya don't need gadgets to keep you on them, you don't need concave rollers to keep you centered. If you cannot get the hang of rollers after a short try, you probably should'nt be riding a bike anyway.

Set them up next to your workbench or kitchen counter. You can place your drink and tv/stereo remote there too. Get a plastic stepstool to help you up on them. Start out without clipping in, even mount some old rattrap pedals without clips until you get used to riding, that way if you biff it you have a good chance of landing on your feet. Contrary to some belief, if you ride off the rollers you will not shoot down the hall and out the front door. No matter how fast you are spinning, the inertia of the wheels is not enough to move your dead weight anywhere.

Rollers are simple to ride, they are fun for the first few rides and nothing refines your spin and balance better. My original point is that Kreitler is a tool, a good tool, and will last you a lifetime. Anything beyond that like gagets to keep you safe, your just getting sucked into the marketing.

Bradford
10-26-2006, 03:59 PM
How much better can any roller be than a Kreitler? Ya don't need gadgets to keep you on them, you don't need concave rollers to keep you centered. If you cannot get the hang of rollers after a short try, you probably should'nt be riding a bike anyway.
OldDog is right, there is no need for new tricks.

Too Tall
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
I have been riding Cortina's and Krietlers for 20 yrs. Yikes. Good standard duty rollers are unmatched. They work, don't annoy the crap out of you with noise or harshness yada yada yada. Ergott, go straight to jail you said price was not an object but I don't see Krietler on your list...the others are OTAY don't get me wrong but spend the loo and get the good stuff.

Soooooo, last winter I popped for the e-motion rollers. I'll never go back to the Cortinas / Krietlers again for at home training....yes I'll take them to races but not at home. E-motion is true to what is advertised...I can jump in and out of the saddle aggressively and it feels like the road AND no worries about coming off the rollers. Yep, you can still ride off the sides but that's true for any rollers. There is a catch...the price.

I have no doubt that if 11.4 says the True rollers have a fine feel to them than take it to the bank but please understand they are an elegant take...or an upscaled standard roller. True rollers do NOT take forward/backward velocity you create by jumping in and out of the saddle and "return" it gracefully...that's what the e-motion bungee cord / dampers do and that's their little "trick" if you wlll and boy howdy is it a neat trick. Neither the e-motion nor the std. rollers can be compared they are different.

If I wanted to smooth out a newb rider and teach them some peddaling skills I'd put them on regular ol' rollers because they are more difficult to master and magnify peddaling flaws. IF I were to instruct an experienced rider how to tweak their peddaling style / climbing position etc. etc. I'd look no further than e-motion because it require very littler mastering and the forward / backward motion riders create when they surge or peddal unevenly is like bio-feedback so as we talk and the rider modifies...learning happens real fast....it is kewl beans as a teaching tool too. I'm hooked on the e-motion for indoors.

Heck I used to warm up on Krietlers and than switch to a fixed trainer for intervals...now I stay on the e-motion rollers.

My fingers have blister.

ergott
10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
I have been riding Cortina's and Krietlers for 20 yrs. Yikes. Good standard duty rollers are unmatched. They work, don't annoy the crap out of you with noise or harshness yada yada yada. Ergott, go straight to jail you said price was not an object but I don't see Krietler on your list...the others are OTAY don't get me wrong but spend the loo and get the good stuff.

Soooooo, last winter I popped for the e-motion rollers. I'll never go back to the Cortinas / Krietlers again for at home training....yes I'll take them to races but not at home. E-motion is true to what is advertised...I can jump in and out of the saddle aggressively and it feels like the road AND no worries about coming off the rollers. Yep, you can still ride off the sides but that's true for any rollers. There is a catch...the price.

I have no doubt that if 11.4 says the True rollers have a fine feel to them than take it to the bank but please understand they are an elegant take...or an upscaled standard roller. True rollers do NOT take forward/backward velocity you create by jumping in and out of the saddle and "return" it gracefully...that's what the e-motion bungee cord / dampers do and that's their little "trick" if you wlll and boy howdy is it a neat trick. Neither the e-motion nor the std. rollers can be compared they are different.

If I wanted to smooth out a newb rider and teach them some peddaling skills I'd put them on regular ol' rollers because they are more difficult to master and magnify peddaling flaws. IF I were to instruct an experienced rider how to tweak their peddaling style / climbing position etc. etc. I'd look no further than e-motion because it require very littler mastering and the forward / backward motion riders create when they surge or peddal unevenly is like bio-feedback so as we talk and the rider modifies...learning happens real fast....it is kewl beans as a teaching tool too. I'm hooked on the e-motion for indoors.

Heck I used to warm up on Krietlers and than switch to a fixed trainer for intervals...now I stay on the e-motion rollers.

My fingers have blister.

Kreitler Dyno Lytes it is. They are on their way!

Too Tall
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
:)

stevep
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
a general contribution on the rollers vs trainer controversy that is not here.
you can always pick out a guy who rides only a trainer off season. their power is applied inconsistently...the bike tends to wander a little each way when they are pedaling hard...
plenty of power but zero smoothness.... they look like they are walking up stairs...
rollers are better or rollers combined w/ a trainer will make a man out of you...( if you want that )
and note i dont mean a set of rollers with a mag unit attached... i mean 2 separate units which are meant to perform 2 separate functions.
the roller w/ resistance does not give the same smooth function that just plain old rollers do.

obtuse
10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
a general contribution on the rollers vs trainer controversy that is not here.
you can always pick out a guy who rides only a trainer off season. their power is applied inconsistently...the bike tends to wander a little each way when they are pedaling hard...
plenty of power but zero smoothness.... they look like they are walking up stairs...
rollers are better or rollers combined w/ a trainer will make a man out of you...( if you want that )
and note i dont mean a set of rollers with a mag unit attached... i mean 2 separate units which are meant to perform 2 separate functions.
the roller w/ resistance does not give the same smooth function that just plain old rollers do.

pucc-
why you making fun of my style again? just because i spend the off season on the stairmaster rather than rollers or the trainer doesn't mean i don't really want to win that roller racing gig. zig-zagging is the new epo yo.

obtuse

stevep
10-27-2006, 07:13 AM
to stairmaster obtuce.
back when i was a professional roller racer ( frankly the money was not that great- could not buy a house in the suburbs )
i remember we had a 4k pursuit event that i gave ( some other idiot ) a
500 m head start... i tracked to catching the sob but fell short by .1 meter....a bitter pill.
my career was ended and i had to start a business in the bike industry.
that is why you are saddled with me here.*
( * ps, largely true but joke elements for anyone pursuing the roller racing career... no benefits, no pension other than many stories that you can tell in the future )

terrytnt
10-27-2006, 10:21 AM
It sounds to me, from several personal accounts (particularly xspace and Too Tall), that the e-motion roller, albeit the extraordinary price point, is in a totally different niche as compared ALL OTHER ROLLERS. If you're an experience rider, and really desire a full 'real road' workout, i.e., standing, sprinting, accelerating, than e-motion provides the full menu (with an added degree of safety).

Too Tall has had these roller for a year, think his experience substantiates these points. In reflection Too Tall, can you add any thing new?

Right now, I'm headed for e-motion rollers...

fiamme red
10-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Right now, I'm headed for e-motion rollers...Keep in mind, if you have limited space, these don't fold compactly.

terrytnt
10-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I hear ya fiamme red. The last thing I'm doing is carting this roller when I travel. The plan is to position it not far from my cycleop fluid2. My big question, is will I ever go back to my cycelops???

One other point, just found out my LBS has a Kreitler roller I can try out. So, maybe I brave it out tomorrow (since it's going to rain all day) and see what a roller really feels like. Hopefully I won't kill myself or damage my Ottrott.

This is going to be interesting... :D

Xyzzy
11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Personally I have a couple different pairs of Kreitlers, and have tried and love a pair of the TruTrainers. They are the first rollers to challenge Kreitlers in 25 years. Absolutely check them out. I believe that if you mention the review in FGF cited above, you get free shipping. The TruTrainers are expensive, but stunning.Well, having never ridden or even seen rollers before I dropped a few bucks on a set this week. They arrived tonight. I have read a pile of tips here at the forum so I adjusted them and hopped on. I managed to do a 45 minute ride with only 2 crashes, both of which my son thoroughly enjoyed. I did have to brush the wall every few minutes but that tendency is quickly disappearing. Because the pair I bought have a flywheel thingie I was able to ride them standing several times without bailing. Riding no hands resulted in one of the crashes and the other crash was from looking back to see what gear I was in. I have nothing to compare these rollers to, except a real road. Right now it is pretty cold outside so I guess these rock. From an engineering point of view I am pretty impressed with the build quality and design. I'm not sure they are twice as good as Kreitlers, but I figure everyone here keeps their rollers for like 20 years so 700 bucks is less than 10 cents a day. One thing that really impressed me was the response I got from the company when I asked them a few questions via email. They responded quickly and went out of their way to explain everything. I just got a nice "honesty vibe" from them. The free shipping deal worked out as well. (Oh yeah - right before I rode them for the first time, I showed my 5 year old son how to dial 911 on my cell phone. I told him if I crashed and wasn't talking he should call pronto.)

ergott
11-03-2006, 09:27 PM

OT, but

That is by far the hottest 'dale setup I've seen in a long time. The proportions are sweet!

Grant McLean
11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
can you read the paper on rollers yet?

g

11-03-2006, 10:28 PM
(Oh yeah - right before I rode them for the first time, I showed my 5 year old son how to dial 911 on my cell phone. I told him if I crashed and wasn't talking he should call pronto.)

The photo might be misleading, but move the front roller forward another 2-3 centimeters. It should end up a bit in front of the front axle, not directly under it (or slightly behind, as it appears to be right now). You'll realize a huge improvement in stability as you move it forward a bit. Then your son won't have to stand there with a cell phone and a nervous look on his face.

PS: Glad you like the rollers. I think they really kick ***. The more you use your rollers, the more you're likely to want their extra features. And when you're riding really fast on them (or at really high rpms) that extra bit of precision and stability counts for a lot.

Xyzzy
11-03-2006, 10:53 PM
ergott-

Thanks! I learned most of the setup stuff (long, low, etc.) here on the forum.

Grant McLean-

Haha! No chance of that any time soon. I'm happy with a one-handed-rub-the-nose-cause-it-itches move.

11.4-

Just so I understand you right, so I don't kill myself, you want the axle to be in front of the roller? The manual wants it on top or 1/2" behind. See page 6. (I'm willing to try it, and there is plenty of slots left to stretch it out, but I want to be *really* sure!)

http://www.trutrainer.com/owners_manual.pdf

Too Tall
11-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Re-read 11.4's instruction...he is correct and so is the manual. The dead ctr. of the roller should be a bit forward of dead ctr. of front axel...sort of a cradle (to grave) effect :)

SteveP - marry me...great observations regards riders on fixed trainers. Yo, any chance you have a line on a competition roller setup eh? I've been in the hunt for several yrs. Local wise guy Larry Black ain't selling his (TWO) sets for less than the price of my eternal soul.

Terry - Nope, nuttin' to add. Drop the coin. E-motion rollers kick butt.

keno
11-04-2006, 06:47 AM
progress report, please. Did you test ride? Have you taken one plunge or another? Myself, I use Kreitlers, but Josh is a cycling test pilot with a credit card.

keno

stevep
11-04-2006, 07:12 AM
tt,
in the day i had a pissa electronic dual match set-up that a crackpot friend of mine cooked up,
worked the nuts, sadly, its long gone now that i am no longer a professional roller racer.
( best year i hauled in 3 beers, 2 beers after taxes, but obtuce keeps asking for his split...has not yet been settled...)

terrytnt
11-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Keno,

My first attempt was NOT successful. But in all fairness, I only gave it 15 minutes. Here's what happened. Went to my LBS and tested their Kreitler (think it was the smallest rollers...2.5 in) by placing the roller in a doorway. When I got on, and began riding, I keep sliding to the edge of the back roller. I've since learned a few things, (1) you must create significant velocity to maintain balance (question of physics) and (2) I was trying to ride by holding a hand against the door jam (which is another reason why my balance was off).

So, my first experience didn't go so well but I learned a few things. My son, Junior at Richmond, just began using rollers and convinced me to stay the course and attend a class near his college in 2 weeks that actually teaches and demos roller riding. That's my next action.

In terms of which rollers, I'm still struggling with justifying anything over the Kreitler price (~$450). So if I can master the rollers in a few weeks (which I'm sure I'll do), I'll likely place a order for the Dyno-Lytes... in time for Christmas. Like the design of the E-motions, but man the price is outrageous!!! And the True, I don't think is much different than Kreitlers.

Keep the thread going... this is interesting

keno
11-04-2006, 08:24 AM
if you are up for a little schlep, you're welcome to come up to Tewksbury (exit 24 off 78), probably 50 minutes or so from you, and try my Kreitlers. I have sets of both of the 4.5" and 3.0" rollers, one frame. Let me know.

keno

Xyzzy
11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Re-read 11.4's instruction...he is correct and so is the manual. The dead ctr. of the roller should be a bit forward of dead ctr. of front axel...sort of a cradle (to grave) effect :)
Never mind me, I'm retarded and can't read.

:beer:

obtuse
11-04-2006, 09:46 AM
tt,
in the day i had a pissa electronic dual match set-up that a crackpot friend of mine cooked up,
worked the nuts, sadly, its long gone now that i am no longer a professional roller racer.
( best year i hauled in 3 beers, 2 beers after taxes, but obtuce keeps asking for his split...has not yet been settled...)

i'm the best teammate you never had pucc...you try to hold my wheel when i'm on rollers and you're going down.

obtuse

11-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Keno,

Went to my LBS and tested their Kreitler (think it was the smallest rollers...2.5 in)

In terms of which rollers, I'm still struggling with justifying anything over the Kreitler price (~$450). So if I can master the rollers in a few weeks (which I'm sure I'll do), I'll likely place a order for the Dyno-Lytes... in time for Christmas. Like the design of the E-motions, but man the price is outrageous!!! And the True, I don't think is much different than Kreitlers.

Keep the thread going... this is interesting

The eMotions are basically designed to keep you on the rollers -- it's like buying a Volvo because it'll protect you in a crash. It's a good sale argument to a beginner, but once you've progressed (and you will) past that stage, the features are relatively meaningless. At that point, your choices come down to Kreitler and TruTrainer, in my opinion. You were making it hard on yourself riding the 'Mytes -- they are harder to ride on than standard 4" rollers. I have both sizes and sometimes pull out the DynoMyte HotDogs for a change of pace, but my mainstay is the standard 4" alloy. What don't I like about Kreitlers? Not much to dislike, but if you fold them a lot the little stop-pins like to come out and then you have to determine the correct positioning and reset everything. The pins are actually marine fittings and don't rust, but the sash chain and rivets that they attach to are quite happy to rust. In addition, the frames are steel and once your cleats have put a nick in the powdercoat, they like to rust too. My 4" alloys have been to the track so many times and ridden so much that I actually replaced the rails because they'd gotten so punky, but the rollers themselves just keep on rolling.

The TruTrainer has an edge on construction quality and on the precision of construction. It definitely has a stronger rail system and more solid roller-positioning hardware. If you get your speed and rpm's well up, very slight looseness in the rollers tends to magnify itself. If you're going to ride your road bike at 90-120 rpm on the rollers, you'll be fine with almost anything. Track does challenge rollers a bit more. A basic drill in training for track (or for roller racing, of course) is high rpm's and a really solid frame does a lot to make that comfortable. In addition, the TruTrainer frame is alloy so it won't rust up even if/when you gouge through the powdercoat. I like its flywheel system, although it does add quite a bit of weight if you're carrying it around; I would absolutely get the flywheel release so you can get close to (if not entirely to) a free-spinning state for warm-up and the like. It's a great pair of rollers if you ride them a lot and are at all dissatisfied with Kreitlers, but yes, they do cost about twice as much. I'd spend the money since I use them a lot and the extra cost pales next to the way I abuse my bank account with other bike equipment. But at this point it's not a "buy this, don't by that" kind of argument -- it's really just that there's now a roller that's at least as good, if not a bit better, than Kreitlers. We couldn't say that for over 25 years.

terrytnt
11-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the invite Keno, I'm still planning to visit my son at Richmond in a few weeks, but if that falls through, I may pay you a visit.

Really appreciate your POV 11.4 comparing e-motion, kreitlers and True. I like your conclusion about rollers, that given experience and a little time, the safety features become less significant.

I do have a question about whether I should consider the alloy Kreitler (4.5in diameter) or the Dyno-Lyte's (3 in). Here's a few personal characteristics about how I ride.
- always spin between 90 -100 rpm and would like to spin on rollers
- lots of hill climbing and decents, I generally stay in the saddle but enjoy standing occasionally
- average 19-20 mph during my rides of 40 - 60 miles
- been riding for 20 years, just bought my first Serotta (Ottrott) :banana:
- but I don't race

I have a cycle-ops fluid 2 which I currently use for 1 hour+ workouts. I plan to keep the trainer and supplement with rollers

Any thoughts???

11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I do have a question about whether I should consider the alloy Kreitler (4.5in diameter) or the Dyno-Lyte's (3 in). Here's a few personal characteristics about how I ride.
- always spin between 90 -100 rpm and would like to spin on rollers
- lots of hill climbing and decents, I generally stay in the saddle but enjoy standing occasionally
- average 19-20 mph during my rides of 40 - 60 miles
- been riding for 20 years, just bought my first Serotta (Ottrott) :banana:
- but I don't race

I have a cycle-ops fluid 2 which I currently use for 1 hour+ workouts. I plan to keep the trainer and supplement with rollers

Any thoughts???

I think that to use the DynoLytes at a comparable effort level, you'll be on a 39 chainring, not a 53. You can build legspeed at high rpms, but again you'll be dealing with enough resistance that bigger gears will probably inhibit your results. You already have a good cadence and could increase that by 10-20 rpm over the winter with a reasonably straightforward and less-than-killer roller program. Not racing, I'd suggest that you might want to focus on leg speed and cadence rather than focus on powerbuilding -- you'll accomplish the same speeds either way in the speed ranges you might want to achieve and you'll be a lot easier on joints and more beneficial for your aerobic fitness. So, I'd suggest you get the standard 4-1/2" rollers.

As you get acclimated to the rollers, you can always work harder on them. I have no problem maxing heartrate at high rpm.

I don't really recommend the Kreitler headwind resistance unit because it's such a pain to set up every time (unless you can simply leave rollers set up all the time). It's awfully noisy as well, more than I really like to tolerate through a winter. And I like a focused breeze on my face from a small fan, but not on my legs and torso per se (which is where the Kreitler unit tends to blow).

I also don't recommend putting a towel or carpet scrap under a rear roller. It doesn't provide predictable resistance, and it poses the risk of tangling in your rear wheel or drive roller. Mostly, though, it just doesn't work work a damn. Use your trainer for that part of your workout.

marle
11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Please be sure to prepare your crash site. I have a wall on my right and a gym mat on my left.

terrytnt
11-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Great info 11.4 - thanks!

Okay, if I understand correctly, the 4.5 diameter wheels will accompany my 90-100 rpm current spin rate very well (particularly at the 39 chain ring). And if I want to develop speed and leg strength I can always gear up to my 53.

Believe you're also suggesting I try to increase my cadence by 10-20 rpm (by end of winter), so that I'm spinning more in the range of 100-120... is that correct?

Really appreciate your guidance, because I was thinking the 3 in diameter (Dyno-lytes) was what I should target, not the 4.5 in (Alloy Rollers). Now I know differently, and can always change out my rollers in time if I choose to do so. Also, great insight on the fan (which I'll pass on).

So at this moment I'm aiming for the Kreitler Alloy Rollers. Just need that final trip to Richmond (in a week or two) to test out the rollers before placing the order (it'll be a great Christmas gift for dad from the kids)

much appreciated 11.4!

Bittersweet
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.bikecult.com/works/rollers.html

11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Okay, if I understand correctly, the 4.5 diameter wheels will accompany my 90-100 rpm current spin rate very well (particularly at the 39 chain ring). And if I want to develop speed and leg strength I can always gear up to my 53.

Believe you're also suggesting I try to increase my cadence by 10-20 rpm (by end of winter), so that I'm spinning more in the range of 100-120... is that correct?

So at this moment I'm aiming for the Kreitler Alloy Rollers.

Correct on all counts. For noncompetitive riding a slightly higher cadence is a way to increase your speed and aerobic fitness without the strains on muscles and joints that you otherwise have to condition yourself to with extensive power training.

Note also that if you decide you don't like the regular 4.5" Kreitlers, they are the most salable and you can recapture nearly all of your original price. I'd suggest you make a habit of wiping and spraying off (with Fantastik or the like) the rails and rollers after each use; otherwise perspiration tends to mark them up quite quickly. And you can get the Challenger rollers with the plastic end caps -- I personally have the all-alloy ones, but the Challengers are cheaper, have the same warranty, and perform as well. The only place I wouldn't use them is if you put the rollers in the trunk of a car in a hot climate and leave them there all day -- the plastic end caps can occasionally still warp or loosen a bit.

And part of my recommendation for 4.5" rollers lies in the fact that you have a rear-wheel trainer already. That lets you do any resistance work you need, and does it better than rollers do. The brand you have does have a tendency to leak hydraulic fluid from the internal fan chamber through the seal around the drive shaft. If you ever think about swapping it out, check the 1-Up and the Kurt Kinetic. The latter can be custom ordered with bolt-on flywheel weights that match your trainer riding to your road riding (more resistance for more power or for larger riders, etc.). The 1-Up is in my book the most elegant design out there. It works really well and has the most solid mechanism for clamping the rear wheel. Next Christmas.

djg
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Great info 11.4 - thanks!

Really appreciate your guidance, because I was thinking the 3 in diameter (Dyno-lytes) was what I should target, not the 4.5 in (Alloy Rollers). Now I know differently, and can always change out my rollers in time if I choose to do so. Also, great insight on the fan (which I'll pass on).

So at this moment I'm aiming for the Kreitler Alloy Rollers. Just need that final trip to Richmond (in a week or two) to test out the rollers before placing the order (it'll be a great Christmas gift for dad from the kids)

much appreciated 11.4!

Just to offer a competing suggestion (borne of less expertise, surely, but reasonable experience on both larger diameter drums--cheapos--and 3 inch Kreitlers), it seems to me that either the dyno-lytes or the poly-lytes would allow high cadence work in the small ring. I haven't raced in years, and I was never monster strong, and something like a 39/15 on the 3" drums is really very easy spinning. Whether you get the 4.5 or the 3, I'll second the recommendation of the poly end caps--you really save a fair bit of change and everything else (drums, bearings, belt, rails, etc.) is just the same. The alloy caps look nice, but the poly ones are showing no appreciable wear at all in several years.

I don't think that anything 11.4 said is wrong or even misleading, but I do think that the 3" drums offer a nice range for rollers.