PDA

View Full Version : advice on a craigslist bike for newbie?

zennmotion
07-01-2018, 01:12 PM
I'm helping a newbie rider friend find a decent deal on her first road bike. She's 5'7" with longish legs, moderately athletic with aspirations (recently completed a sprint tri in cold pouring rain and liked it). The tri thing was probably a one-off experience, she really wants a road bike to graduate from MUP rides to road, no gravel interest (why would I do that? :confused:). Budget about 1K or less. I found a few local craigslist possibilities, I think ebay is not a good source as she wants to test ride before she buys. I haven't actually bought a complete road bike off the shelf in 30 years, so I'm not confident with advising around price. This listing looks like it might be good for her, but I'm wondering if the price might be a little high? I'll try not to spam the thread too much, but I might check in on a few different possibilities as I find them locally- this one seems the best so far. Opinions?
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/giant-ocr-c2-54cm-carbon/6619928460.html
I should add that she may have gotten a little spoiled by "training" for a couple of months by riding on my 56cm 11sp DuraAce Cyfac, with flat pedals ;), stretched out with a 12cm stem. Despite the poor fit she likes it and wants something kind of lively, but probably not race bike gearing or geometry... yet. I figure something that lets her experience some real hills with comfort, and stable handling as a first bike, and a used bike fits her budget and allows her to start riding and learn more specifically what will work for her in another year or so as she takes up riding on the road where she can trade it in for something else as she learns what she likes. EmIright?

oliver1850
07-01-2018, 01:58 PM
The Giant looks like a good place to start, assuming the fit is good. Not sure about value but you don't see many carbon Ultegra 10 bikes in that kind of shape for under $700. You might consider something like an older CAAD. I was shopping for something similar for a friend last year and found her a CAAD9 Tiagra in good shape for $325. Friend has been very happy with it, only changing saddle and pedals.

zennmotion
07-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Arggh, the listing disappeared, I'll keep looking. If it were just me I would have jumped on it days ago, it's tough making a quick decision when you need to arrange for test rides with job and young kids...

This is dangerous business for me... I just found a 54 cm Look 585 with Campy Chorus for less than $1000, lucky me it's too small. But if anyone's interested I can facilitate!
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/look-585-road-bike-54cm/6631790921.html

pbarry
07-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Recently sold a Trek Madone 5.1 WSD bike on CL, after no nibbles here. Well thought out women's specific design. There are later iterations of this model, with various component groups depending on the original price point.

Here's one in your area, priced a little high, imo.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/d/trek-wsd-madone-51-carbon/6614053411.html

Theres a 4.7 with newer 105 too.

semdoug
07-01-2018, 03:11 PM
My wife really likes her Liv Avail which has complete 105. We found it new leftover in a shop for $999. Just another option to consider.

Peter P.
07-01-2018, 03:17 PM
I don't think there's virtually any way she is going to be able to test ride a craigslist bike long enough to determine whether she likes it, and whether the bike is mechanically sound. Craigslist is a good place to find a bike, but considering the details you provided, I don't feel the process is going to work for her. Also, the odds of having a bike pop up on craigslist that meets her riding criteria, size, AND price might mean waiting a long time; she may not let go of your Cyfac for a long time...

I would recommend you check with the various local bike shops, and their bulletin boards if they have them, for a used bike in her size.

My other recommendation is to persuade her to buy a new bike as she may be able to rent/borrow a demo bike and she'll have more flexibility with test riding.

Doing a very casual search, I see some Trek Domane (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-alr/domane-alr-3/p/21553/?colorCode=blue)'s and Emonda's (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/%C3%A9monda-alr/%C3%A9monda-alr-4/p/21566/?colorCode=grey) that fit her $1k price. Don't sweat the component levels; right now it's all about getting the right size, making it fit AND comfortable. Bikes at this price level will have a geometry precisely for cyclists with her history and experience in mind.

zennmotion
07-01-2018, 04:21 PM
I don't think there's virtually any way she is going to be able to test ride a craigslist bike long enough to determine whether she likes it, and whether the bike is mechanically sound. Craigslist is a good place to find a bike, but considering the details you provided, I don't feel the process is going to work for her. Also, the odds of having a bike pop up on craigslist that meets her riding criteria, size, AND price might mean waiting a long time; she may not let go of your Cyfac for a long time...

I would recommend you check with the various local bike shops, and their bulletin boards if they have them, for a used bike in her size.

My other recommendation is to persuade her to buy a new bike as she may be able to rent/borrow a demo bike and she'll have more flexibility with test riding. Doing a very casual search, I see some Trek Domane (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-alr/domane-alr-3/p/21553/?colorCode=blue)'s and Emonda's (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/%C3%A9monda-alr/%C3%A9monda-alr-4/p/21566/?colorCode=grey) that fit her $1k price. Don't sweat the component levels; right now it's all about getting the right size, making it fit AND comfortable. Bikes at this price level will have a geometry precisely for cyclists with her history and experience in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm confident that I can get her fit at least close, especially since she's in the 54cm range, well inside the bell curve. I have encouraged her to visit some shops for test rides and take note what she liked/didn't like about the bikes so we can narrow the field some. For myself, I need a long hard ride on varied terrain to really assess a bike, but then I can also predict from the numbers whether something will work. However, a rider with little/no real experience beyond a hybrid bike won't have a baseline "feel" that they're looking for, so I think focus on fit, and stable handling (which as you said is pretty much expected in the price range). Bike shop bulletin boards are a good idea if they exist. I actually think there's a lot of craig's list options in the DC area especially if she's willing to be patient (lending her the Cyfac for a few months is a mental exercise in N-1 for me, not a bad thing, and I'm not exactly slumming it in the meantime on my steel Spectrum!) Looking for a new bike definitely has some merit, but since a test ride from a shop is not likely to be any longer or enlightening than a test ride from a willing CL seller, and given a fairly sizable, and soft used local market, it remains a good option IMO. We're certainly not focused on component level- it's all good in Shimano-land as far as I know- but if we can find a better bike that's already depreciated in market value, why not? Thanks again-

zennmotion
07-01-2018, 04:31 PM

My other recommendation is to persuade her to buy a new bike as she may be able to rent/borrow a demo bike and she'll have more flexibility with test riding. Doing a very casual search, I see some Trek Domane (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-alr/domane-alr-3/p/21553/?colorCode=blue)'s and Emonda's (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/%C3%A9monda-alr/%C3%A9monda-alr-4/p/21566/?colorCode=grey) that fit her $1k price. Don't sweat the component levels; right now it's all about getting the right size, making it fit AND comfortable. Bikes at this price level will have a geometry precisely for cyclists with her history and experience in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm confident that I can get her fit at least close, especially since she's in the 54cm range, well inside the bell curve. I have encouraged her to visit some shops for test rides and take note what she liked/didn't like about the bikes so we can narrow the field some. For myself, I need a long hard ride on varied terrain to really assess a bike, but then I can also predict from the numbers whether something will work. However, a rider with little/no real experience beyond a hybrid bike won't have a baseline "feel" that they're looking for, so I think focus on fit, and stable handling (which as you said is pretty much expected in the price range). Bike shop bulletin boards are a good idea if they exist. I actually think there's a lot of craig's list options in the DC area especially if she's willing to be patient (lending her the Cyfac for a few months is a mental exercise in N-1 for me, not a bad thing, and I'm not exactly slumming it in the meantime on my steel Spectrum!) Looking for a new bike definitely has some merit, but since a test ride from a shop is not likely to be any longer or enlightening than a test ride from a willing CL seller, and given a fairly sizable, and soft used local market, it remains a good option IMO. We're certainly not focused on component level- it's all good in Shimano-land as far as I know- but if we can find a better bike that's already depreciated in market value, why not? Thanks again-

sitzmark
07-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Have you considered asking her to throw her measurements into a fit calculator (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp ) to get a feel for stack and reach so you can get an idea of the after purchase changes (stem/bars/post) that might be needed to get in her "ideal range". Important not to let her buy into a bike with a steerer too short ... expensive fix.

zennmotion
07-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Have you considered asking her to throw her measurements into a fit calculator (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp ) to get a feel for stack and reach so you can get an idea of the after purchase changes (stem/bars/post) that might be needed to get in her "ideal range". Important not to let her buy into a bike with a steerer too short ... expensive fix.

Yes we've done that, and better, I've put her on a trainer with an adjustable stem and my own fit stick where even on a frame that's too large I can still get the contact points fixed and triangulate the numbers from CC and Coni. I obvously would be wary of a slammed stem situation, though rare with bikes in her price range; what we're finding are mostly lightly used bikes that are pretty much as they were purchased that have "been carefully stored" (read: garage queens). Sadly, I suspect many of these don't get ridden because a shop didn't do their job in fitting or matching the model to customer needs. I don't often find myself in a bike shop, but nearly every time I do I need to work to keep my mouth shut when overhearing some BS from a shop rat trying to "advise" or "fit" a customer who doesn't know better. Even "pro" shops that are sometimes the worst, not to mention unnecessary upsell pressure. Probably unfair, but I have a very low opinion of most shop employees, I told my friend to try to go during week days at quiet times and try to connect directly with an owner or experienced long-term manager.

likebikes
07-01-2018, 09:51 PM
my advice: don't

you can get a lotta new bike from a bike shop these days, and it will fit, and not have a worn out drivetrain, etc.

classtimesailer
07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
You can get a lot of bike for 1000 bucks on the D.C. CL.
Search for Ultegra in "bikes" and there is much to chose from.
Example.

zennmotion
08-08-2018, 08:48 PM
To close this- persistence and patience paid off, after 6 weeks of searching we ended up finding an alu Trek Madone (2.5?) garage queen that fit my neighbor well for a great price, and it's red so she's thrilled. I test rode Sram double-tap for the first time and didn't die and nothing essploded, and I didn't even hate it :banana: She needs a different saddle and a longer stem but even with the 7cm stem that came on it I was impressed with the handling.