PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex news

Tickdoc
07-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Newsflash :

Masters/corsas now made in 28 are coming, in Black and Tan.

(They probably only measure 27 once pumped up, but I’ll take what I can get)

Carry on.

thwart
07-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Those should sell like hotcakes.

Seems for a lot of road frames, a 27 mm tire is the upper limit anyway.

batman1425
07-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Those should sell like hotcakes.

Seems for a lot of road frames, a 27 mm tire is the upper limit anyway.

Particularly on the ever more popular wide rims

colker
07-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Particularly on the ever more popular wide rims
Wide rims are not for tubulars. Nor they are needed.

batman1425
07-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Wide rims are not for tubulars. Nor they are needed.

Cyclocross riders might disagree with you.

colker
07-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Cyclocross riders might disagree with you.

Maybe ... but logic agrees with me since a tubular is a cilinder and those don´t widen. Right?
Cross tires are wider cilinders and benefit from a wider gluing surface. Not 28 road tires.

batman1425
07-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Maybe ... but logic agrees with me since a tubular is a cilinder and those don´t widen. Right?
Cross tires are wider cilinders and benefit from a wider gluing surface. Not 28 road tires.

A tubular won't change size based on the rim its mounted on, but the Master and Corsa are both clinchers are they not?

colker
07-01-2018, 01:08 PM
A tubular won't change size based on the rim its mounted on, but the Master and Corsa are both clinchers are they not?

Ooops... if they are clinchers then my posts are non sense. Sorry about that.
I read Veloflex and immediately thought tubular.

R3awak3n
07-01-2018, 01:21 PM
will they still be made like butter?

will this still be happening after 100 miles?

https://i.imgur.com/WqGP6G9.jpg?1

oldpotatoe
07-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Newsflash :

Carry on.

Check Merlin in UK...27mm Vittoria TUBULARS...$40 or so.

fignon's barber
07-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Newsflash :

Carry on.

I'll believe it when I actually see someone buy them, put it on their wheel, measure it, and it actually be 28mm. Let's look at the Veloflex history:
- 10 years ago, they announce they are moving from 22mm to 23mm. In reality, all they did was start stamping "23" on their 22mm tire inventory for the next 4 years.

- five years ago, they introduced 25mm clinchers, which are really 23mm clinchers with "25" printed on them.

monkeybanana86
07-01-2018, 04:11 PM
I'll believe it when I actually see someone buy them, put it on their wheel, measure it, and it actually be 28mm. Let's look at the Veloflex history:
- 10 years ago, they announce they are moving from 22mm to 23mm. In reality, all they did was start stamping "23" on their 22mm tire inventory for the next 4 years.

- five years ago, they introduced 25mm clinchers, which are really 23mm clinchers with "25" printed on them.

LOL that's wack

Tickdoc
07-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Still my favorite tire. Just wish I could get them to stay on my enve’s (without popping off in the middle of the night like a sonic boom and sharing the $hit out of me)

I’ll give these a try

jtbadge
07-01-2018, 04:39 PM

I've also heard the rumor on this forum before that Veloflex claimed they would never make a 27-28c clincher.

R3awak3n
07-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Still my favorite tire. Just wish I could get them to stay on my enve’s (without popping off in the middle of the night like a sonic boom and sharing the $hit out of me)

I’ll give these a try

Ok, the veloflex are nice tires. For the few miles I had them before they disintegrated I do admit they ride nice but to me, imo of course, the vittoria corsas are as nice if not better (to me better). They are also better built, don't blow off rims, they have them in 23-28 already.

Ttx1
07-01-2018, 07:03 PM
I’ve been riding the Raven for well over a month.

They are excellent.

Basically an all black Vlaanderen, and an honest 27 on Boras.

Real life pic here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiHe14CByE5/

rwsaunders
07-01-2018, 07:08 PM
More reading here.

https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=806

buddybikes
07-01-2018, 08:22 PM
...Looks ridable to me :-)
https://i.imgur.com/WqGP6G9.jpg?1

ergott
07-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Veloflex clincher is a mistake. Tubular only.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thwart
07-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Veloflex clincher is a mistake. Tubular only.

I hear you.

But having put quite a few miles on Master "25 mm" clinchers, they are truly a rare bird... a clincher that feels just like a tubular. And a darned good one.

FWIW... I've never had a failure like that shown above.

fignon's barber
07-02-2018, 07:28 AM
More reading here.

https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=806

Good info. The reviewer says they measured about 28mm on a C19 size rim. That's about the same size as the Vittoria Corsa G+ in size 25mm, which to me is perfect width for the road.

fignon's barber
07-02-2018, 07:35 AM
I've also heard the rumor on this forum before that Veloflex claimed they would never make a 27-28c clincher.

That was me and it was no rumor. A couple years ago when the 27mm Vlaanderen tubular came out, I emailed Veloflex directly and listed about a dozen reasons why it was a good idea to also sell a 27mm clincher. They responded that they would "absolutely not market" a 27mm clincher. Maybe something was lost in translation.

Gummee
07-02-2018, 10:03 AM

That's a yes and no question. My last flat, I pulled off the rim and only the outsides were glued down. ...means I didn't do the step of running the tire down a broom handle to get tire down into the valley of the rim.

A wider rim (Major Tom, et al) than the Open Pro tubular would have a shallower angle in the valley of the rim, making it eaiser to get the glue everywhere

M

denapista
07-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Wide rims have a place in the tubular world!

Mounting tubulars on wide tubular rims is night and day to 22mm wide old style rims. The tires center easily as well. Mounting Veloflex Vlaanderen's on my Schmolke 25.2mm wide internals, has been nothing but smile inducing.

The purpose of widening the rim, wasn't to make a tire larger in volume. in the clincher world, that was just an added benefit.

I like seeing pics of Porsche GT3's with blown engines... It's like saying all GT3's are going to explode. Same for a blown tire.... When I did run Clinchers, I ran Masters and veloflex clinchers exclusively and never once had a blowout like the picture posted. There are anomalies to all things.

colker
07-02-2018, 10:16 AM
That's a yes and no question. My last flat, I pulled off the rim and only the outsides were glued down. ...means I didn't do the step of running the tire down a broom handle to get tire down into the valley of the rim.

A wider rim (Major Tom, et al) than the Open Pro tubular would have a shallower angle in the valley of the rim, making it eaiser to get the glue everywhere

M

Wide rims make glueing tubulars easier. When it comes to clinchers, wide rims change tire size and some say significantly change ride quality.

denapista
07-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Wide rims make glueing tubulars easier. When it comes to clinchers, wide rims change tire size and some say significantly change ride quality.

I couldn't agree more. Gluing a tire to a 25.2mm wide rim is super easy and so much less messy. Most people feel getting glue down the middle is the key to a tubular, but it's actually the sides that hold the tire. Wider rims with tubular, just gives me extra security that the tire is holding from the ease of putting glue on the outer part of the rim.