PDA

View Full Version : Mixed mode commuting with a brompton?

moose8
07-01-2018, 05:53 AM
I’m moving out of the city so my days of solely commuting by bike are nearing there end after a good run. I will need to take a train but I don’t want to give up on the bike idea. Regular bikes aren’t allowed on the train but folding bikes are. I’ve got 1.8 miles on the first leg than like a mile on the leg to the office.

I am thinking of trying to find a used brompton as they seem the easiest to fold and then deal with when folded. If I don’t have to lock up a bike but can just bring it with me I think it will save time.

The other option I’ve looked at is s bike Friday but it seems they don’t fold down as small but not entirely sure. I’m very interested in people’s thoughts Who have experience with folding bikes and commuting. Thanks!

charliedid
07-01-2018, 05:54 AM
Brompton for commuting.

Bike Friday for Travel

weisan
07-01-2018, 06:01 AM
I have a Tikit (BF) for a while. It folds really fast, Check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQscBxx7wLE

I ride it on mixed terrain, even mtb trails sometimes and it handled that splendidly. You are right in that it's not the smallest when folded, so what, there are other considerations.

I bought it for a thousand bucks, rode it for 2.5 years, sold it for the same amount and got my money back.

ptourkin
07-01-2018, 08:45 AM
I have one for sale in the classified that was purchased in anticipation of mixed-mode touring but was actually used as a mixed-mode commuter in this way. The Pacific Surfliner down here requires a reservation for bikes, but with my Brompton, I could fold it and put it on the rack without a reservation. I don't believe any other bike would fit.

weisan
07-01-2018, 09:28 AM
pakiT - The World's Lightest Folding Bike + City Bike, It Fits In A Backpack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxqR2ZdmRWs

smontanaro
07-02-2018, 08:57 PM
You don't mention how long your train ride is, but your to and from distances aren't much different than mine. It's about a 15-minute walk on either end of 25- to 30-minute Metra train ride (https://metrarail.com/). I don't mean to distract you from the folding bike idea, but will share my experience.

I live in Evanston, IL and work in Chicago's Loop. Before a serious crash last year I used to ride most days (65-75 minutes one way). These days try to ride to work once a week. Other days, I generally walk or ride an old Schwinn three-speed to the train, and walk or ride a DIVVY (https://www.divvybikes.com/) to the office.

I've never been tempted to buy a folder for any part of my commute, but I suspect my train ride is shorter than yours. If the train segment was longer, a folder would come in handy to ride part of the way, perhaps ride an hour and hop the train for the rest of the commute. Or ride one way and cart the folder home on the train.

Just my $0.02...

charliedid
07-02-2018, 09:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxqR2ZdmRWs

We have one at the shop. It's folding is a strange process and super frustrating. It has the handling characteristics of a child's scooter but it sure is light!

Maybe V3.0 will be better

weaponsgrade
07-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I bought a Brompton for the 6 mile commute I used to have to downtown. I looked at Bike Friday as well. I needed something that I could carry onto a packed bus/train and the Brompton won out because of it's smaller fold. Mine is the steel version. It does get heavy and I wouldn't want to be carrying it for any length of time. I bought the optional Brompton cover. It fell out of its carrying bag and I lost it. I discovered, however, that Ikea makes a bag that costs a fraction of what the Brompton bag costs and into which the Brompton fits perfectly. The Ikea one also comes with carrying straps. A bag is nice so you don't get your clothes greasy or dirty if you have to carry it. The Bike Friday felt more like a regular bike and I would've preferred the Bike Friday, but a compact fold was the key thing for me.

charliedid
07-08-2018, 04:42 PM
I bought a Brompton for the 6 mile commute I used to have to downtown. I looked at Bike Friday as well. I needed something that I could carry onto a packed bus/train and the Brompton won out because of it's smaller fold. Mine is the steel version. It does get heavy and I wouldn't want to be carrying it for any length of time. I bought the optional Brompton cover. It fell out of its carrying bag and I lost it. I discovered, however, that Ikea makes a bag that costs a fraction of what the Brompton bag costs and into which the Brompton fits perfectly. The Ikea one also comes with carrying straps. A bag is nice so you don't get your clothes greasy or dirty if you have to carry it. The Bike Friday felt more like a regular bike and I would've preferred the Bike Friday, but a compact fold was the key thing for me.

Pretty much, this.

moose8
07-11-2018, 09:09 PM

That ikea dimpa bag looks like a great option if I end up with a brompton. At $3.99 I could buy a few. I’m really leaning towards getting one - test riding a neighbor’s next week so we’ll see.

weaponsgrade
07-12-2018, 01:20 AM
That ikea dimpa bag looks like a great option if I end up with a brompton. At $3.99 I could buy a few. I’m really leaning towards getting one - test riding a neighbor’s next week so we’ll see.

Here's another thought. When I got mine I think the gearing options were single, double, three, and six. The double was two cogs and a brompton RD. The three was a three speed internal hub. The six was the three speed hub and the Brompton RD. I went with the three speed but I think if I had to do it again I'd either do the double or six. The three speed hub is a jump in price and weight. So, either save the money and keep it light by going with the double or go all the way with the six and get the extra gear range.