PDA

View Full Version : Case Closed :: MootoX RSL Di2 - thoughts?

Clean39T
06-30-2018, 08:36 PM
EDIT :: going to hold off for now and do some riding before making a purchase.. thanks for helping keep me on the straight n' narrow Paceliners!

------

Stopped by my local Moots shop today to get a black stem faceplate, and they've got a brand new MootoX RSL 29er that's di2 only w threaded bb and engraved HT in my size. I guess it was special ordered for someone and they backed out, so the shop is willing to deal..

I haven't been riding MTB for years, but I want to - and have a likely impending move to the Folsom/Tahoe area that will put me in prime MTB land.

Whaddya'll think? Pick it up and have the shop build it out w XT Di2 1x, Chris King everything, and whatever fork they recommend????

Or demo some full suspension 29ers, like the Pivot Mach 429 or Switchblade...which they have...

I think they can also get a demo Moots for me, I just have to pay shipping.

I like the shop and would feel good supporting them.

tl;dr - MootoX impulse buy (yea/nay)??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Matthew
06-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Do it. You could always flip it if it's not your jam. I wish I had your income.

nmrt
06-30-2018, 08:54 PM
I love to try road bikes from different companies for the one simple reason that they catch my fancy and not because I have something missing in my current bikes.

But for mtb bikes, I kinda like to use my head and buy only those mtb bikes that work on the trails around me. I would never take a FS mtb bike with a slack HT angles on gentle flowly trails (if those make up for most of the trails around me). I have done that and I have hated it. For these fast, gentle flowly trails, I take my Mooto-X RSL. And I love it!

So, the question you need to ask is which bike (429 Vs Mooto, etc) will best suit the trails that you will ride. I asked the same question and sold my Specialized Epic FS and then my Ibis Ripley. My Mooto-X RSL is perfect for where I ride. And if I happen to be on any gnarly trails where my singlespeed Mooto-X cannot go, which might happen maybe once a year, I will rent a bike that will be perfect for those gnarly trails.

Or you could just get the Moots and live the life. Don't like it, take the depreciation hit and then sell it. Sometimes, life is too short to not ride the bikes your heart desires especially if you have the means. :)

Clean39T
06-30-2018, 09:17 PM
I love to try road bikes from different companies for the one simple reason that they catch my fancy and not because I have something missing in my current bikes.

But for mtb bikes, I kinda like to use my head and buy only those mtb bikes that work on the trails around me. I would never take a FS mtb bike with a slack HT angles on gentle flowly trails (if those make up for most of the trails around me). I have done that and I have hated it. For these fast, gentle flowly trails, I take my Mooto-X RSL. And I love it!

So, the question you need to ask is which bike (429 Vs Mooto, etc) will best suit the trails that you will ride. I asked the same question and sold my Specialized Epic FS and then my Ibis Ripley. My Mooto-X RSL is perfect for where I ride. And if I happen to be on any gnarly trails where my singlespeed Mooto-X cannot go, which might happen maybe once a year, I will rent a bike that will be perfect for those gnarly trails.

Or you could just get the Moots and live the life. Don't like it, take the depreciation hit and then sell it. Sometimes, life is too short to not ride the bikes your heart desires especially if you have the means. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I think I would gravitate to riding the types of trails that would work on a HT 29er or XC dual suspension...presuming they exist. I'm not an extreme-sports guy. I get more thrills from being in nature and taking in views than looking for stuff to huck myself off.

I need to do some research on the trail networks down there though - sounds like it anyway...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mikej
06-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Moots are virtually the only mtb frame builder using 71.5 degree hta and a 44mm rake on 29ers. I just feel they are too squirrelly, even with a 120mm stem. I would hold out for a 69.5 hta with a 51mm rake, much better. I’m sure people love there’s, but I would try some modern hard tails before buying the moots.

John H.
07-01-2018, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't get it-
Moots makes nice frames, but RSL geometry is nothing special.
Also, the RSL mtb is not particularly light.

I would hold off and do some rides in the area that you may be moving to- Then get a bike to suit that.

sooshi
07-01-2018, 10:00 AM
I agree, I had a MootoX RSL and ended up selling it because the geo and ride was too similar to another bike I was currently riding.

Since you're in Portland you should check out the Breadwinner guys. I have their Goodwater and love everything about it. Super versatile allowing me to swap between 27.5+ and 29 wheelsets. Plus Ira and Tony are great to work with.

Tony
07-01-2018, 10:04 AM
I mtb Tahoe, Auburn and Folsom area lots. You'll be happier on a FS bike or a more modern 29er HT.

The Pivot Mach 429 is ok, however I felt too much flex from the rear end.
The Switchblade is stiffer and a nice choice, rode one for a couple weeks.

I have several mtbs thinking of selling if your interested. Ibis MOjo HD 650 b large and a Kona Hozo Ti large (new school geometry) both an excellent condition