PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Giro Empire SLX shoes

Alan
06-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Did some searching here and other places and these seem like a good starting point for me as I need the following:

Narrow shoes - have A width feet
Good insoles - now use eSoles eFit Supportive and should fit in Empires or I can use the Giro insole (eSoles are unfortunately out of business and I need try a new brand)
Cleats as far back on the shoe as possible - like my metatarsal to be in front of pedal axle as much as possible w Time cleats. Cleat position looks ok
Toe box - look to be reasonable amt of room and more than Sidis
Pricing - very reasonable if you don't mind a close out style
Giro - have 60 day trial fit program
Closure - am ok w laces as long as I get a good fit on everything else

I am currently wearing Specialized Pro shoes that old. They are ok but I don't really think that I need the varus canting. My right big toe slides to the top inside of the shoe and I can feel as my ankle rotates due to the canting.

Any feedback or thoughts here?

Thanks!! - Alan

pasadena
06-30-2018, 09:26 PM
You just have to try them with your specific needs.
They are narrow.

I absolutely love them. I have the ACC and the SLX is just a lot better and noticably lighter too. The uppers are more flexible and conforming. I don't like wearing the ACC's anymore.

They come with 3 sizes of arch support that stick onto the insoles. and two different insole styles. 2nd set of laces and a carry bag.

The only thing I may get to 'upgrade' is if Giro intro's the sailcloth version that Taylor Phinney is wearing now.

sib
07-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Big thumbs up from me.

I thought the laces would be a pain to begin with, but I almost never have to adjust them after I've left the house.

eBAUMANN
07-02-2018, 09:05 AM
ive been riding em for...3 years now, own 3 pairs in diff colors, love em.
the only downside is the extra time needed for lacing up/down.

durability has been excellent (took em on a hike down a mountain trail once, accidentally), easy to clean, comfy, the arch support inserts are great.

buy em cheap and try em, they are also pretty easy to re-sell, as most owners have/want more than one pair.

Climb01742
07-02-2018, 02:01 PM
The new knit upper version looks interesting, says guy who lives in his Nike Flyknits.