PDA

View Full Version : Dorel Sports Sells SUGOI and Sombrio to Louis Garneau

RonW87
06-28-2018, 04:20 PM
"Dorel to Focus on Core Strategic Businesses of Bikes, Parts and Accessories and Electric Ride-Ons

SharePrint
June 27, 2018 16:35 ET | Source: Dorel Industries, Inc.
multilang-release
MONTRÉAL, June 27, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dorel Industries Inc. today announced that its Dorel Sports segment has sold the SUGOI and Sombrio brands to Louis Garneau Sports Inc., divesting its performance apparel line of business to focus on its core strategic businesses of bikes, parts and accessories and electric ride-ons.

“Despite the strong brands and products in SUGOI and Sombrio, apparel is not a strategic priority and has been a drain on Dorel’s financials. It is in the best interests of our shareholders for us to focus on our core businesses. SUGOI and Sombrio are a perfect fit for Louis Garneau Sports Inc. They specialize in cycling apparel and I am confident both brands will reinforce their excellent product offerings to retailers worldwide,” stated Dorel President & CEO, Martin Schwartz.

Dorel acquired SUGOI Performance Apparel in February of 2008 with the purchase of Cannondale Bicycle Corp. from Pegasus Capital Advisors. Dorel later purchased Sombrio in January of 2014."

I think I see Sugoi as slightly more upmarket than LG, although LG seems to be on an upward trajectory. Maybe Sugoi is pushed even more upmarket to compete with Rapha, Assos, etc. Sugoi has always struck me as good quality but without the prestige or panache of some other brands.

FlashUNC
06-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Only two places I've ever seen Sugoi are the clearance rack at a Performance shop, and on the clearance rack at an REI.

Ozz
06-28-2018, 06:18 PM
I had some Sugoi leg warmers that lasted about 15 yrs. Fairly light, but perfect for temps 45-65. I really liked them, but the elastic just finally gave out. Replaced with a pair of Louis Garneau....which are also pretty nice.

I would not think either are a high end brand though....more a good utilitarian brand along the lines of Bellwether or such.

ceolwulf
06-28-2018, 06:52 PM
FWIW I like my Garneau bibs better than my Rapha. By quite a lot actually.

Sugoi I think used to be a bigger name than they are now? At this point I associate them mainly with the discount bin at Nashbar but that's probably unfair. I have had some Sugoi stuff years ago that was very well made and lasted a long time.

Ralph
06-28-2018, 07:03 PM
I ride Sugoi shorts. Local large shop carries them. Great product.

peanutgallery
06-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Dorel=> cannondale => crapper. Beginning of the end. Sugoi was a decent line a few years back, used to buy a lot of stuff from them. Really went downhill with Dorel, haven't seen a rep in many years. LG either for that matter, no local market presence for a good 10 years. Might be different if you're on the metric system and speak archaic French. Would be surprised if the $ exchanged was more than a car note or something

Trek and specialized are really putting the squeeze on all the 2nd and 3rd tier brands and its easier to get that quality of softgoods when you place an order for bikes and socks from them. You can get exactly what you need and it's always in stock. The market is shifting, nobody wants to commit to a big preseason when you can cherry pick

GonaSovereign
06-28-2018, 07:23 PM
FWIW I like my Garneau bibs better than my Rapha. By quite a lot actually.

Sugoi I think used to be a bigger name than they are now? At this point I associate them mainly with the discount bin at Nashbar but that's probably unfair. I have had some Sugoi stuff years ago that was very well made and lasted a long time.

Veering off topic, but the Louis Garneau Course short sleeve skin suit is quite a bit nicer than Castelli's Speedsuit (which I consider the benchmark). Better fit around the arms. Laser cut arms and legs so no folds or seams. Maybe not as durable, but for a racing skinsuit it's near perfect.

Gummee
06-28-2018, 07:59 PM
Veering off topic, but the Louis Garneau Course short sleeve skin suit is quite a bit nicer than Castelli's Speedsuit (which I consider the benchmark). Better fit around the arms. Laser cut arms and legs so no folds or seams. Maybe not as durable, but for a racing skinsuit it's near perfect.

I have some Sugoi bib knickers that are better than average, but nothing special. The softshell jacket is a nicer bit of kit tho

The Garneau stuff I've had over the years has been very nice.

M