PDA

View Full Version : Fastest North American Road Sprinters

Veloo
06-28-2018, 08:47 AM
So who were/ are some of the fastest sprinters coming out of North America?

Back in the day when I followed things a bit more closely, the names I recall were:
Davis Phinney
Scott McKinley
Gord Fraser
Roberto Gaggioli

Can't recall where I read it but there was an article talking about how McKinley was one of the fastest guys around, able to leave the European sprinters two bike lengths in his dust.
I saw him on tv with Gaggioli trying to come around him but Roberto wasn't even coming close. Never knew what became of McKinley.

Chris
06-28-2018, 09:45 AM
I may be thinking of someone else. Didn't he crash and injure his back?

cadence90
06-28-2018, 09:59 AM
.... ..

sailorboy
06-28-2018, 10:40 AM
fred rodriguez (for a couple years)
tyler farrar

thats all i got

John H.
06-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Gord was really fast- mostly rode for well drilled teams that could lead him out as well.

Scott McKinley is still around- Occasionally shows up at group rides in these parts (Marin County).

So who were/ are some of the fastest sprinters coming out of North America?

Back in the day when I followed things a bit more closely, the names I recall were:
Davis Phinney
Scott McKinley
Gord Fraser
Roberto Gaggioli

Can't recall where I read it but there was an article talking about how McKinley was one of the fastest guys around, able to leave the European sprinters two bike lengths in his dust.
I saw him on tv with Gaggioli trying to come around him but Roberto wasn't even coming close. Never knew what became of McKinley.

weisan
06-28-2018, 11:16 AM
http://tahoequarterly.com/wp-content/uploads/uploads2/lemond_g15.jpg

Lewis Moon
06-28-2018, 11:19 AM
http://tahoequarterly.com/wp-content/uploads/uploads2/lemond_g15.jpg

I find it kinda freaky that he beat Sean Kelly in that sprint.

earlfoss
06-28-2018, 11:25 AM
There was a season or two that Ken Hanson seemed to be destined for big things.
Ivan Dominguez was pretty dominant in his day.
Jonas Carney definitely belongs on the list.
Gord Frasier?
Probably many more if I sat down and fired up the wayback machine.
Oh yeah, Marty Nothstein did that one or two years with Navigators. Not sure how much he won though. I raced with him at the Nature Valley Gran Prix. He was one huge dude!

paredown
06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Fastest guy that I raced with was Ron Hayman, founding member of Schwinn-7-11. Even as Junior he could uncork amazing speed...

He was the only North American to win a stage against the Euros in the 1983 Tour of America, winning a bunch sprint against Silvestro Milani of Bottecchia in DC.

Wiki entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hayman

GregL
06-28-2018, 11:28 AM
I find it kinda freaky that he beat Sean Kelly in that sprint.
The sprint at the end of a rainy, 260km, 6:45 road race on a hilly course is quite different than a traditional bunch sprint. What's left in the tank becomes more important that raw sprinting talent.

Greg

e-RICHIE
06-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Without question Van Gilder.

SPOKE
06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Without question Van Gilder.

👍 She was hell on skates too!

FlashUNC
06-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Colombian by birth by American by palmares, what about Fast Freddie Rodriguez?

ntb1001
06-28-2018, 01:46 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/d3bc5fbd894aec0a066e581916b7e549.jpg

Gord Singleton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike V
06-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Mark Gorski
Nelson Vails

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mark+Gorski+future+event+CcjJtOu81oPl.jpg

Hellgate
06-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Damn! Nelson has some quads! I forget how ripped he was.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

bart998
06-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Heiden and Nitz

choke
06-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Coryn Rivera.

steelbikerider
06-28-2018, 05:59 PM
For road sprinters, Phinney, Rodriguez and Farrar would have to be tops, all won GT stages. The others won domestic races but were not successful at the Euro level. On the velodrome, it would be Gorski, Carpenter and Nothstein. On the road or track, it is interesting that none of their careers overlapped when they were at their peak.

For the women, I would say Beth Heiden, Connie Carpenter and Rivera with only Rivera being a true sprinter. They others were just fast.

wallymann
06-28-2018, 06:32 PM
i remember similar sentiments, but mckinley just wasnt into tough sledding on the euro-scene. 100km or less in a crit, he was a honch in the final. but no appetite for riding in the gutter at the end of an echelon in sideways rain tasting pig-poo while getting his head kicked in by the strong boys after +250km.

this. if you've got the legs to make the final and manage to get the jump on everyone while rolling a 12t with a tail wind, aint nobody generating the watts to come over top.

The sprint at the end of a rainy, 260km, 6:45 road race on a hilly course is quite different than a traditional bunch sprint. What's left in the tank becomes more important that raw sprinting talent.

Hindmost
06-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Greg

And the way the finale played out. Holy moly!