PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Open Pros: Step up?

hotspur.serotta
06-27-2018, 11:09 PM
My road bike has Shimano WH-R500 wheels in good shape.

I have a line on Mavic Open Pros with ~1000 miles on them (see below) for $200. Would that be a significant upgrade? If not, I'm open to suggestions, but don't want to spend thousands.

"These wheels are hand-built by a custom wheel builder for long lasting performance. Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs, laced to Mavic Open Pro Black rims, with 15 gauge DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Velox rim tape and skewers are included. Complete wheelset weight (with Velox and Skewers) is 1940 grams."

Ken Robb
06-27-2018, 11:12 PM
Really good wheels but what aspect of wheels are you trying to upgrade?

hotspur.serotta
06-27-2018, 11:57 PM
Not sure. I'm new to this game and have a lust for better equipment!

joosttx
06-28-2018, 12:06 AM
Yes they are a step up assuming wear and tear are equal. I think what you are getting is a more durable and stronger wheel.

oliver1850
06-28-2018, 12:26 AM
I would say they are better quality wheels even though they probably weigh a bit more than the R500s. Should be more durable over the long haul. That said, I'd ride what you have and upgrade if/when you have a problem.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2018, 07:25 AM

I have a line on Mavic Open Pros with ~1000 miles on them (see below) for $200. Would that be a significant upgrade? If not, I'm open to suggestions, but don't want to spend thousands.

"These wheels are hand-built by a custom wheel builder for long lasting performance. Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs, laced to Mavic Open Pro Black rims, with 15 gauge DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Velox rim tape and skewers are included. Complete wheelset weight (with Velox and Skewers) is 1940 grams."

No, not significant..maybe none. 6800 hubs great hubs and these wheels can be rebuilt..something 'maybe' the WH-R500 wheels cannot be if shimano doesn't support them. 15g, straight spokes aren't the best choice, IMHO but decent wheelset. If you DO buy them, have a decent wheelbuilder true, round, dish, check tension. BUT, I'd ride what you have..replace if want to spend more $ for a more 'significant' upgrade..Longer lasting hubs, lighter wheels, something designed specifically for you and your needs...and new...expect to pay more $, like in the $500++ or so range.

colker
06-28-2018, 07:27 AM

You can do better than that w/ lighter hubs laced to wider than open pro rims.
I have an open pro wheelset.

classtimesailer
06-28-2018, 08:55 AM
I had some r500 wheels a while back and they were much heavier than Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. Ultegra/Open-Pros are classic and everyone should have a pair. Get them and when you wear out the rims, put new OPs on with DT Comps.

MikeD
06-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Is this the old Open Pro or the new one Mavic is now selling? The old ones suck. I cracked one in 6000 miles, broke an eyelet on another. They are not durable rims. I've got two sets of these wheels. They sit unused, replaced by Ultegra WH-6800 wheels that have proven to be way better in terms of reliability, aerodynamics, and staying in true.

FlashUNC
06-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Not to get too existential, but it depends on your definition of upgrade.

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Would that be a significant upgrade?

In plain English, no.

hotspur.serotta
06-28-2018, 12:05 PM
The consensus is, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll heed that, then do a real upgrade when the current wheels give out.

josephr
06-28-2018, 01:10 PM
In plain English, no.

+1...any 'improvement' would be minimal...not a game changer. Save your money for when the 500s are worn out (about 7-10k miles, maybe more).

redir
06-28-2018, 02:45 PM
I have 3 sets of Open Pro wheels with Ultegra and or Dura Ace hubs and while they are great for what they do best, training imho, I never really thought they were as good as so many other people claim they are. They are a classic time tested proven design and work but an upgrade? Not from r500's I don't think.

But hey it's always nice to have extra wheel sets ;)

Hindmost
06-28-2018, 04:00 PM
What would be a significant upgrade? Maybe lighter, more aero? Say, you already had 32 spoke, 3x, standard hubs and rims, and didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2018, 07:20 PM
What would be a significant upgrade? Maybe lighter, more aero? Say, you already had 32 spoke, 3x, standard hubs and rims, and didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

Quality hub set that weighs <430g (DT 350, Bitex, etc)
Double butted quality spokes (Sapim Race, DT Comp)
Relatively light and durable rims with =>17.5mm inner width (H+Son, DT Swiss, HED, Velocity, Kinlin, Pacenti, Boyd, etc)
Hand built by a competent wheelbuilder

Fine tune improvements, drop weight and spend more by:

Using aluminum nipples
Choosing lighter spokes (Sapim Laser, CX-Ray, DT Aerolite)
Selecting a tubeless compatible rim
Spending more for nicer and lighter hubs (White Industries T11, Chris King , DT 240, Industry Nine)

oldpotatoe
06-29-2018, 07:34 AM
Quality hub set that weighs <430g (DT 350, Bitex, etc)
Double butted quality spokes (Sapim Race, DT Comp)
Relatively light and durable rims with =>17.5mm inner width (H+Son, DT Swiss, HED, Velocity, Kinlin, Pacenti, Boyd, etc)
Hand built by a competent wheelbuilder

Fine tune improvements, drop weight and spend more by:

Using aluminum nipples
Choosing lighter spokes (Sapim Laser, CX-Ray, DT Aerolite)
Selecting a tubeless compatible rim
Spending more for nicer and lighter hubs (White Industries T11, Chris King , DT 240, Industry Nine)

What he said(altho not a fan of aluminum nipps:)or thin spokes on drive side rear)....Far better rims out there than OpenPro, new or old...not even considering design, width, etc..