PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC and others...

Avispa
06-27-2018, 07:54 PM
Planning a trip to the Carolinas later this summer and I would like your opinion on some cities I plan to visit. Probably not taking a bike, but I would like to explore a bit and perhaps look for places for possible relocation...

I will be flying into Raleigh, NC then driving South to Charlotte and on to Columbia and finishing the trip in Charleston, SC.

Your advise on good places to eat, bike shops worth visiting and other "where locals go" kind of information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

ORMojo
06-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Regarding Charleston...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193288

miksibis
06-28-2018, 06:48 AM
Charleston: Tuesday night at Edmund's Oast Brewery has Short Grain. amazing chef. The Codfather fish and chips has a bigger, proper building now. Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan's Island is still talked about highly.

zap
06-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Raleigh-Brewery Bravanha

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabel/2017/12/03/the-10-coolest-places-to-eat-in-2018/#2ad8cfc47e88

Need to make reservations well in advance.

There are other very nice restaurants in Raleigh/Cary such as Herron's and Crawford and Son's.

Charleston-FIG and Macintosh. I didn't care for Magnolia's

Beach-Kiawah Beachwalker Park

Bike Shops. Did not visit any in Charleston. Nothing too exciting in Raleigh.

TDot
06-28-2018, 05:45 PM
Jestine's Kitchen for lunch.

Get there a bit early because the line will be long and will consist of men and women in power suits in equal parts to construction workers, tourists, and every other possible type of person imaginable. That's the type of place it is - everyone is welcome and everyone loves it.

There's also Ron's Home Team BBQ and Acme Low Country Kitchen in Sullivan's Island/Isle of Palms. Yum!

Otherwise, for me, Charleston is a fantastic walking city and its streets are living breathing history. Folly Beach is a nice underdeveloped beachtown 20 min south

echappist
06-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Planning a trip to the Carolinas later this summer and I would like your opinion on some cities I plan to visit. Probably not taking a bike, but I would like to explore a bit and perhaps look for places for possible relocation...

I will be flying into Raleigh, NC then driving South to Charlotte and on to Columbia and finishing the trip in Charleston, SC.

Your advise on good places to eat, bike shops worth visiting and other "where locals go" kind of information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

would highly recommend the Research Triangle. not so much about Columbia. My dad has lived in both places.

Don't know enough about Charlotte to comment.

berserk87
06-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Charleston:

The Fort Sumpter tour is great if you are a history buff.

Along the same lines, and across the harbor, there is an WWII era aircraft carrier, destroyer (the Laffey - much storied) and a sub, along with a Vietnam indoor/outdoor museum. I'm into military history and loved all of this.

If you have time, a walk along the shoreline (Battery Park area?) is nice. Great views of the harbor and high-end, older homes.

The only restaurant that I can recall offhand is a tiny pub called "The Tattooed Moose". They serve a mighty fine duck burger.