PDA

View Full Version : Sram 1x Wobbling Cassette

NoMoreParagon
06-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Hope some pacer can help me understanding what’s going on with this cassette. It’s a 10-42 Sram 1x Rival cassette on a set of Hunt 650b wheels.
The cassette is torqued to spec. When I ask Hunt they said it might be the freehub body.

The cassette has no play. The shifting is perfect. Just the teeth of the cassette don’t seem aligned and straight over a pedal revolution.
Anybody has any clue? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowPokePete
06-27-2018, 06:06 PM
can you try another cassette?

SPP

dddd
06-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Because of the way that cassettes and freehub bodies are manufactured, one almost never sees these parts rotating out of plane of off-axis.

But two things come to mind, first I would make sure that the smallest cog is aligned with the splines properly, the widest spline mating properly.
Second, I would closely examine the mating surface at the back of the splines, perhaps a spacer is damaged or the flange of the freehub body has cracked.
One more thing might be the spacers themselves, some have interlocking features (tiny pegs on the spacer's face) that might effectively present an uneven thickness around the spacer if misaligned.

Black Dog
06-27-2018, 09:24 PM
Most likely the free hub body. I have seen this many times and I have a set of HED wheels that has this issue with one free hub body but not a second one. As long as it shifts fine then really nothing to worry about.

smead
06-27-2018, 09:44 PM
I had the same issue with a red cassette, finally realized the lock ring had gotten cross threaded and was torqueing down unevenly.

NoMoreParagon
06-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Many thanks guys. All previous info.

Marc40a
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
I had a similiar situation a couple weeks ago.

It ended up being that the end cap of the thru axle was loose - it is essentially a nut. The manufacturer spec called for blue loctite and there was none on there.

RudAwkning
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
With 10-42, I assume XD driver cassette and no lockring?

NoMoreParagon
06-29-2018, 01:37 AM
With 10-42, I assume XD driver cassette and no lockring?

Yes indeed. I feel the freehub is the culprit