PDA

View Full Version : Learn me about a 2004ish De Rosa Neo Primato

skiezo
06-27-2018, 04:13 PM
What can any of you tell me about these framesets? What tubing/tubeset was used? what is tire clearance like? 25s work ok? 1" steel fork, threadless I am presuming. What is the ride quality like? Is the Geo basically the same from early 2000 up until current? What else can you tell me about these frames/bikes?
Here are a few pics of the frame in question. He is asking $400 so i am debating this one.
https://i.imgur.com/km3fQmEl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nIYqMmyl.jpg

skiezo
06-27-2018, 08:04 PM
I added a few pics of the frame in question.

colker
06-28-2018, 07:39 AM
I will answer since no one came up even though i have never ridden one.
A De Rosa Primato is at the very top of my wish list.
From what i hear, ride quality is sublime and De Rosa´s geometry should be the best out there.
Tubing is probably proprietary. Some sort of heat treated double butted steel.
25s will fit.
Buy it.
If it´s a 54 i will buy it from you if you decide to sell it.

OtayBW
06-28-2018, 07:45 AM
Not sure what the tubing is on the NEO, bit the Primato has the EL-OS tubing. Geometry very similar, but not identical. The ride of the Primato is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

colker
06-28-2018, 07:46 AM
Not sure what the tubing is on the NEO, bit the Primato has the EL-OS tubing. Geometry very similar, but not identical. The ride of the Primato is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

EL OS is awesome. Buy it.
On top of everything it´s a RED De Rosa Primato.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2018, 08:08 AM
EL OS is awesome. Buy it.
On top of everything it´s a RED De Rosa Primato.

THIS one isn't EL-OS tho..the first gen Primato was( I owned 2..) BUT my Primatos were great rides, beautiful frames...$400 is a great price, IMHO..

What is it with Italian frames and no pump peg?? My Primatos didn't either..

Spaghetti Legs
06-28-2018, 08:09 AM
$400 - buy first ask questions later.

El Chaba
06-28-2018, 08:32 AM
25s are probably okay, but that fork has less clearance than the older flat-topped fork that is most often associated with the Primato and other steel deRosas.

colker
06-28-2018, 08:54 AM
25s are probably okay, but that fork has less clearance than the older flat-topped fork that is most often associated with the Primato and other steel deRosas.

Yes. I would rather have the steel lugged fork.

colker
06-28-2018, 08:55 AM

It even has a king headset there.:hello:

zmudshark
06-28-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Neo Primato was built with Dedacciai Zero Uno tubing.

I seem to recall that they had slightly longer top tubes than the Primato, and a steeper seat tube. I could be wrong, just going from failing memory.:help:

zennmotion
06-28-2018, 11:25 AM
THIS one isn't EL-OS tho..the first gen Primato was( I owned 2..) BUT my Primatos were great rides, beautiful frames...$400 is a great price, IMHO..

What is it with Italian frames and no pump peg?? My Primatos didn't either..

There is more to life than just pedal pedal pedal. A flat forces you to stop for an espresso or limoncello. So it's a feature. Buy the frame, it's red.

skiezo
06-28-2018, 11:57 AM
He states that the fork is a 1"threadless steel, but it looks like a carbon. Am I mistaken on that one. Size is 55 so from what I can find the TT is 55 and the HT is 14.4cm.
I have a silver 10 speed chorus/record group that needs some companionship.
I am not real familiar with zero uno so what would be the equivalent in Reynolds or Columbus.

colker
06-28-2018, 12:15 PM
I am not real familiar with zero uno so what would be the equivalent in Reynolds or Columbus.

It should be good stuff since it´s on a De Rosa Primato. Fork could be steel unicrown... not the best ride quality ever but again: it´s a De Rosa high end steel bike. Enough said.

cadence90
06-28-2018, 12:32 PM
.... ..

ceolwulf
06-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Dang, son.

Yes, this.

Now why can't I find a deal like this on a Corum.

cmg
06-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Dang, son.

Yes, this.

Now why can't I find a deal like this on a Corum.

A Corum in a 49 would be the best.......for me. also extremely rare. Love the It's Italian, high end steel and red, buy it comments. :)

bfd
06-28-2018, 02:06 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79WJO5HitDCNC1yc1dWN09VeC1oRHRsNU9sakZjO EI1eTM4What can any of you tell me about these framesets? What tubing/tubeset was used? what is tire clearance like? 25s work ok? 1" steel fork, threadless I am presuming. What is the ride quality like? Is the Geo basically the same from early 2000 up until current? What else can you tell me about these frames/bikes?
Here are a few pics of the frame in question. He is asking $400 so i am debating this one.
https://i.imgur.com/km3fQmEl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nIYqMmyl.jpg

Get it! That looks like a great deal. In comparison, I recently purchased a Della Santa with Dedacciai Zero tubing and CK headset for $500. The biggest difference between my DS and your DeRosa is the fork. My DS's fork has a flat fork crown.

Lots of good deal on used steel out there. Just have to be patient.

Good Luck!

thwart
06-28-2018, 04:24 PM
A red De Rosa, in a popular size, in apparently very good shape, for $400... and including a King headset?

He who hesitates... ;)

choke
06-28-2018, 04:28 PM
He states that the fork is a 1"threadless steel, but it looks like a carbon. Am I mistaken on that one. De Rosas had a unicrown steel fork for a few years.

As the others have said, a $400 De Rosa is a no brainer.

OtayBW
06-28-2018, 04:30 PM
One thing about the Primato (~1991) is that as far as I know (and it is corroborated by handling), with the original fork, it seems to have a very high trail at low to mid 60+ mm. A little twitchy at low speed, but it handles literally like it's on rails descending and cornering at high speed. FUN bike to ride...

bikingshearer
06-28-2018, 05:01 PM

Do not let the tubing be the determining factor. Whatever it is made with, if it was good enough for Ugo & Sons to build with, it's plenty good enough for you to ride.

zmudshark
06-28-2018, 05:51 PM
If this had been offered up in the classifieds here for that price, it would be gone in 60 seconds.

soupless
06-28-2018, 06:29 PM
EL-OS is just plain pretty to look at, gently increasing in size as it gets closer to BB.

Please buy it.

zmudshark
06-28-2018, 07:05 PM
EL-OS is just plain pretty to look at, gently increasing in size as it gets closer to BB.

Please buy it.
This is not EL-OS, but it is still a steal for steel.

alexstar
06-28-2018, 09:57 PM
I have a 2004, ex-akelman, ex-thwart; mine has a standard lugged fork crown. I believe Zero Uno is accurate. Mine handles great, buy it, you won't be sorry.

maxcolumbus
06-29-2018, 11:12 AM
This is my friend’s bike. I have spent long days
riding next to, behind, and ahead of it.
It’s stunning in person. The red looks incredible
in the sun. He was rolling 25s, no go for 28s.
I got to ride it a few times, it’s what you want.
Deda Uno tubing if I recall.
He took excellent care of it.

colker
06-29-2018, 11:16 AM
This is my friend’s bike. I have spent long days
riding next to, behind, and ahead of it.
It’s stunning in person. The red looks incredible
in the sun. He was rolling 25s, no go for 28s.
I got to ride it a few times, it’s what you want.
Deda Uno tubing if I recall.
He took excellent care of it.

Is the trouble w/ 28s on the fork or stays or both?

maxcolumbus
06-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Colker,
I honestly don’t recall.. either way, the bike just wasn’t built for 28s.
He just said “no go” when I asked.
This is a classic road race bike and it’s perfect as is IMO.
Whoever gets it is going to love it.

maxcolumbus
06-29-2018, 11:28 AM
I’ve seen it haul ass on gravel with Gator Skin 25s.
Best look for this bike is skinny gumwall tires with some
nice Campy alloy wheels.. white saddle, bar tape.
Ciao Bella!

spacemen3
06-29-2018, 11:32 AM
I hope you bought this! Deda Zero Uno is great tubing. :beer:

skiezo
06-29-2018, 12:47 PM
I paid for this frame this morning and he is going to ship it via bikeflights.
This was on another forum for about a week and I was him-hawing around about getting another bike. I got a desalvo Ti and a Sarto carbon that i ride as well as a Sarto Classica that I am collecting parts for. I just miss my steel bikes.
I am surprised that it was on Velocipede Salon classified for so long. It just kept teasing me every time I looked at it so I had to pull the trigger after a week of looking at it.
Build will be campy record/chours 10- either silver or black, not sure yet.
nitto bars and stem
White regal saddle old school, white tape
Thompson post
Wheels will be what I have collecting dust.

colker
06-29-2018, 12:52 PM
I paid for this frame this morning and he is going to ship it via bikeflights.
This was on another forum for about a week and I was him-hawing around about getting another bike. I got a desalvo Ti and a Sarto carbon that i ride as well as a Sarto Classica that I am collecting parts for. I just miss my steel bikes.
I am surprised that it was on Velocipede Salon classified for so long. It just kept teasing me every time I looked at it so I had to pull the trigger after a week of looking at it.
Build will be campy record/chours 10- either silver or black, not sure yet.
nitto bars and stem
White regal saddle old school, white tape
Thompson post
Wheels will be what I have collecting dust.

I would get a seatpost w/ setback.. especially w/ a Regal saddle on that frame; it has some steep seat angles there.

thwart
06-29-2018, 01:47 PM
I’ve seen it haul ass on gravel with Gator Skin 25s.
Best look for this bike is skinny gumwall tires with some
nice Campy alloy wheels.. white saddle, bar tape.
Ciao Bella!
This.

Pardon the poor res photo... end of day light with an iPhone.

cadence90
06-29-2018, 08:55 PM
.... ..