PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Kits -- Cutting spandex?

Nooch
06-27-2018, 03:51 PM
I've got a long sleeve skinsuit -- I'd *like* to make it a short sleeve skin suit. If I just cut the sleeves, would it work, or do I need to add a seam of some sort?

Peter P.
06-27-2018, 09:03 PM
You need a hem on the sleeve after you cut it.

I turned a long sleeve cycling jersey into a short sleeve, but it was not Lycra. Came out so good you wouldn't know its past.

You'll want to cut the sleeve longer than needed, then fold over TWICE for the neatest edge, both the visible and non-visible sides. Or you could fold over once, stitch, then fold over a second time and stitch again. Use a zig-zag stitch to accommodate the lycra's stretch qualities.

Another option is to cut the sleeve long and over-stitch the end so the fabric won't fray. Then fold over and zig-zag stitch. With Lycra you'll have to stitch very close to the end of the folded sleeve otherwise you won't have a crisp edge.

If you can't do it yourself, any seamstress or tailor shop should be able to hook you up.

NeauDL
06-28-2018, 12:03 PM
I had some Giordana tights with roubaix fabric (i.e. a little pile or nap, not just thin lycra) and the ankle zippers broke after several years. My wife suggested I just cut the legs off above the zippers, which I did. After at least ten uses and ten washings this past winter, there's been no unravelling to speak of. YMMV!

Ozz
06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
...If you can't do it yourself, any seamstress or tailor shop should be able to hook you up.
+1

show them what you want done and I would be surprised if it cost more than what they charge for hemming a pair of pants....$10-$20?