PDA

View Full Version : Replacing or rebuilding Stronglight Delta 1" threaded headset?

NHAero
06-27-2018, 01:56 PM
The Bilenky tandem I just bought could use new headset bearings. It has a Stronglight Delta headset. I noticed that Ben's Cycles has a replacement kit that has the needle bearings and races for $25. Is there any reason not to go that way, vs. installing a new headset?
Thank you

https://www.benscycle.com/stronglight-needle-bearing-kit-complete---10in/headset_bearing_stronglight__500-101_500-101/product#tabs

bicycletricycle
06-27-2018, 02:13 PM
those are nice headsets, if it is in good shape otherwise I would rebuild.

El Chaba
06-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Have you gotten inside to inspect the condition of the bearings? I ask as they could be just dry and or gummy. If the bearings are rusty, you probably can't revive them, but if not you might be able to just clean and re-lube. The Delta was sealed pretty tight with O-rings, so it was pretty well protected from water, but you never know the life that some parts endured....I love(ed) all of the Stronglight roller bearing headsets.

NHAero
06-27-2018, 02:17 PM
I will definitely pull the fork to look at the conditions before doing anything. The $25 seemed pretty good for a nice headset, and I just wanted to make sure there aren't considerations I should know about with a rebuild. Thanks!

Have you gotten inside to inspect the condition of the bearings? I ask as they could be just dry and or gummy. If the bearings are rusty, you probably can't revive them, but if not you might be able to just clean and re-lube. The Delta was sealed pretty tight with O-rings, so it was pretty well protected from water, but you never know the life that some parts endured....I love(ed) all of the Stronglight roller bearing headsets.

Hardlyrob
06-27-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm re-building a steel frame with a 1" steerer, and had to replace the headset - it was brinelled - so needed to be replaced. I was surprised that Campy still makes a Record threaded headset for about $50. I'm assuming for the track.

If you can't rebuild, this is one way to go.

Rob

saab2000
06-27-2018, 05:31 PM
I’ve replaced Stronglight headsets with Shimano 600/Ultegra cartridge headsets from the 1990s. Less romantic but much, much better headsets. There are several Shimano headsets available on eBay in the $50-$60 range. They are excellent, zero maintenance headsets and affordable.

FlashUNC
06-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Asong as the races are good and it's just a bearing issue, totally just rebuild and go from there.

One option I'd suggest if you're going to replace is the Cane Creek 110.

Tandem Rider
06-27-2018, 07:47 PM
The Stronglight Delta races just sit on the alloy "cups" and are replaceable. The bearing kit included the races back in the day, hopefully they still do.

NHAero
06-27-2018, 08:11 PM
A thorough cleaning out and re-greasing solved the problem fortunately. And the rebuild kits are advertised to have the two bearings and the four races.

adampaiva
06-27-2018, 08:49 PM
Darn. I need a crown race for a strong light delta and was hoping this kit might include it. Anyone know where I might find one, or something compatible?

PS for the OP these headsets have a following in the low trail flex planing tubing rando bike world as they reduce the likelihood for shimmy. There is still a Stronglihht headset made but it’s no longer the roller bearing so not the same thing at all.

Gummee
06-27-2018, 08:57 PM
If you need to replace that Stonglight and want to stay period, look for an American Classic Tri-Lock

I'd argue that they better than Chris Kings

M

El Chaba
06-28-2018, 06:46 AM
A thorough cleaning out and re-greasing solved the problem fortunately. And the rebuild kits are advertised to have the two bearings and the four races.

Good work. I like to use a little more grease on the roller bearing headsets than I would normally use with a BB model. The adjustment of these headsets is also a little trickier as they initially feel like they are requiring slightly more resistance to move than a BB model. they are, especially freshly packed with grease. So, you have to be a little careful not to set them up a little too loose.
Here is an example that has been in use since 1991....

GonaSovereign
06-28-2018, 07:12 AM
I’ve replaced Stronglight headsets with Shimano 600/Ultegra cartridge headsets from the 1990s. Less romantic but much, much better headsets. There are several Shimano headsets available on eBay in the $50-$60 range. They are excellent, zero maintenance headsets and affordable.

+1. Those Ultegra cartridge headsets are pound for pound the best 1" threaded headsets available. They're getting harder to find, so I'm trying a knock-off that shares the same bearing design, but with a less angular cup shape. Good enough for my city bike.

OP: bonus points for reviving rather than replacing.

NHAero
06-28-2018, 08:46 AM
I definitely found what you're saying to be true. It took a few minutes to get it right, but the end result in the road test was worth it. I like the idea of replaceable races as well as the actual bearings, hadn't seen that.

Thanks for all the help folks

Good work. I like to use a little more grease on the roller bearing headsets than I would normally use with a BB model. The adjustment of these headsets is also a little trickier as they initially feel like they are requiring slightly more resistance to move than a BB model. they are, especially freshly packed with grease. So, you have to be a little careful not to set them up a little too loose.
Here is an example that has been in use since 1991....

David Kirk
06-28-2018, 09:00 AM
I'm a bit late to the game but....and this might be a dissenting view....I wasn't a fan of the Stronglight headset when it was new and I've not become any more fond of it over time. Premature wear, play, higher friction, poor sealing...etc mean that most other options were better.

I'd ditch it and put a new King or vintage Shimano in and call it a day.

dave

colker
06-28-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm a bit late to the game but....and this might be a dissenting view....I wasn't a fan of the Stronglight headset when it was new and I've not become any more fond of it over time. Premature wear, play, higher friction, poor sealing...etc mean that most other options were better.

I'd ditch it and put a new King or vintage Shimano in and call it a day.

dave

Campagnolo record. Tange Levin.

bikinchris
06-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Darn. I need a crown race for a strong light delta and was hoping this kit might include it. Anyone know where I might find one, or something compatible?

PS for the OP these headsets have a following in the low trail flex planing tubing rando bike world as they reduce the likelihood for shimmy. There is still a Stronglihht headset made but it’s no longer the roller bearing so not the same thing at all.

IRD makes a needle bearing headset that looks like it is an almost exact copy of the Stronglight.

wallymann
06-30-2018, 10:16 PM
here's the IRD, looks nice but different aesthetic to the delta -- more like an A9, but with seals!

IRD's 36mm stack is a nice low option for short steerers. a delta is +40mm which can be problematic.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52eaa551e4b071f3e49320ba/53c05d01e4b0e17c2a84ad77/539a1d77e4b0ee30338179cc/1402609032704/ird_hdset_rollerdrive500.jpg?format=500whttps://static1.squarespace.com/static/52eaa551e4b071f3e49320ba/53c05d01e4b0e17c2a84ad77/539a1d77e4b0a5d22d81dcf8/1402609016559/ird_hdset_rollerdrive_apart700.jpg?format=500w

IRD makes a needle bearing headset that looks like it is an almost exact copy of the Stronglight.