PDA

View Full Version : Sea Isle City/Ocean City NJ Road Bike Rental?

kaysee11
06-26-2018, 07:04 PM
I'll be in the Sea Isle area in a few weeks and I'm looking for a shop that might rent a road bike. I'm looking to get a nice long ride in down the coast, so the standard beach cruiser rental won't do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

type2sam
06-26-2018, 07:24 PM
We spend a few weeks each summer in Ocean City, NJ. I've never seen a place that rented anything but a beach cruiser.

If you are interested in a bit of OC gravel grinding, there's an old mile long trailbed (at least that's what I think it is) at the intersection of 51st and Haven.

type2sam
06-26-2018, 07:33 PM
We spend a few weeks each summer in Ocean City, NJ. I've never seen a place that rented anything but a beach cruiser.

If you are interested in a bit of OC gravel grinding, there's an old mile long trailbed (at least that's what I think it is) at the intersection of 51st and Haven.

pakora
06-27-2018, 12:20 AM
If you haven't ever ridden on the Jersey Shore, you might consider other options for riding, or not riding at all. Assuming on the coast you'd have an out and back route (like to Cape May, or Atlantic City), you will have a strong headwind one way and a tailwind the other way, and it will generally be dead flat. When the headwinds are strong, it's not challenging, it's just difficult. There will be a lot of traffic in both directions between May and October.

I'd love the hardcore shoreheads to tell you otherwise, but having ridden from Philly to Sea Isle, Cape May, AC and Ocean City as well as up and down the coast to Sandy Hook, my recommendation is to not rent a bike and to not ride down the shore.

I say that having ridden the coast in Sonoma just a couple days ago, which is amazing and rewarding riding. Jersey isn't. And I love downa shore with all my heart.

soulspinner
06-27-2018, 06:14 AM

Surf Buggy is a place I rented a road bike from. They are in Ocean City near 7th...…...

Kobe
06-27-2018, 06:39 AM
I just did this ride this past weekend. From the northern tip of OC to Stone Harbor is about a 40 mile round trip. I left about 6 am, so traffic was non-existent to very light even on Saturday. Weekdays were even better.

Ocean City has a wide bike lane down Haven and West and thru Strathmere has a wide shoulder. Sea Isle can be a little congested but Avalon and Stone Harbor are fine with bike lanes also.

I took this picture on Sunday, no wind but the fog was thick.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1764/28154605017_baacd8909a_c.jpg

I don't know of any higher end rentals. I know Surf Buggy Centers will rent fitness hybrids.

kaysee11
06-28-2018, 11:10 PM
Some good advice from both views. I'll still probably give it a go, but I guess I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't happen. Thanks!