PDA

View Full Version : HED Belgium - tubeless compatible?

d_douglas
06-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Hi folks,

I know this is mentioned somewhere, but I cannot find it. I just need a simple reply, so not super interested in delving into the details of tubelessness... :)

Are my five year old Belgium clincher rims (not the 'Plus' ones) tubeless compatible? They are in great shape and tons of life left, so I wouldn't rebuild them if theyre not. My current tires are almost toast and thinking of what to use next. Is tubeless an option?

I weigh 210lbs, ride recreationally and my frame is a Speedvagen for reference. My GP4000s are 25mm and measure out at about 28-29mm on the Belgium rims right now.

I would like to try some Compass tubeless tires if it was practical and safe, but other suggestions are welcomed (including, 'just use tubes, dummy').

cribbit
06-26-2018, 04:22 PM
They theoretically can work, but they won't be as good as a rim specifically designed for it.

ikecycke
06-26-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the original Belgiums aren't considered tubeless-ready, but I've used non-tubeless-ready rims tubeless extensively.

The issues you could run into are a bit more difficulty installing tires, and the tire may not stay seated if you do happen to get a flat, so you'll potentially need higher pressure to reinflate the tubeless tire and get it out of the trough, which may be difficult to do roadside with a hand pump...no issues if you use CO2, though.

guyintense
06-26-2018, 04:45 PM
I just tried to do this, tubeless on the non plus HED Belgium rims. I was able to get the tubeless tire on but they didn't seem quite right. With around 40 pounds of pressure I could push the sidewall enough to unseat the bead. I called HED and they suggested the Stans no tubes rim strip. That worked a little better but I had to inflate the tires to 90 pounds just the get the bead to seat right. I finally relaced with the plus size rims and was able to set the bead with a hand pump. So, no I don't think the non plus are tubeless compatible.

Cat3roadracer
06-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Negative. I don't care what Stan or any one else says. You need a dedicated tubeless rim and a dedicated tubeless tire to make everything work. If set up correctly all stars align.

djg21
06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Hi folks,

I know this is mentioned somewhere, but I cannot find it. I just need a simple reply, so not super interested in delving into the details of tubelessness... :)

Are my five year old Belgium clincher rims (not the 'Plus' ones) tubeless compatible? They are in great shape and tons of life left, so I wouldn't rebuild them if theyre not. My current tires are almost toast and thinking of what to use next. Is tubeless an option?

I weigh 210lbs, ride recreationally and my frame is a Speedvagen for reference. My GP4000s are 25mm and measure out at about 28-29mm on the Belgium rims right now.

I would like to try some Compass tubeless tires if it was practical and safe, but other suggestions are welcomed (including, 'just use tubes, dummy').

I converted a set to tubeless and have them on my CX bike. Thus far, I’ve had no issues.

bshell
06-26-2018, 08:22 PM
The Belgium and the Belgium Plus are described as tubeless compatible on the HED website.

I don't believe that is the same as being a dedicated tubeless specific rim.

That said, *I can say* Stan's tape and a 'tubeless ready' tire definitely can work since I've been using this set up for years (+ @2oz. of sealant).

yinzerniner
06-26-2018, 08:39 PM
The Belgium and the Belgium Plus are described as tubeless compatible on the HED website.

I don't believe that is the same as being a dedicated tubeless specific rim.

That said, *I can say* Stan's tape and a 'tubeless ready' tire definitely can work since I've been using this set up for years (+ @2oz. of sealant).

The regular belgium was updated to a tubeless rim shape in about 2015 or so. The ones on HED's site are the updated version. The earlier rims, which I believe the OP has, are not tubeless compatible, ready, or anything.

That being said, there are examples of people getting the earlier ones to somewhat work with tubeless tires but it's up the discretion of the OP if they want to try it. With his weight (210 lbs) and the pressure needed for road use with 25mm tires (probably at least 80psi) I would highly recommend against a ghetto tubeless setup.

Try out different tires, compounds, sizes (if they fit the speedvagen) or latex tubes.

d_douglas
06-27-2018, 03:37 PM
SO I am assuming the consensus is 'no' :)??

Just use tubes?

OK, what are my next tires? Compass 28mm? I am curious to try the glorious ride of these tires...

rheosibal
06-27-2018, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't.

I have the same wheels, but I set them up tubeless with cx tires. They are flawless in that regard, but for non-tubeless rims I feel like high volume/low pressure tires (cx) would have higher success rates than small volume/high pressure (road).

d_douglas
06-27-2018, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't.

I have the same wheels, but I set them up tubeless with cx tires. They are flawless in that regard, but for non-tubeless rims I feel like high volume/low pressure tires (cx) would have higher success rates than small volume/high pressure (road).

Sadly, I agree. I feel like the consequences of failure could be drastic! I think I will pass.

Now, what tires for my Vagen?