PDA

View Full Version : Different (?) Handlebar/Brake Combinations

trophyoftexas
10-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I've just purchased a neat frame that I intend to use as my daily commute to work, about 10 miles round trip over rolling country roads. Road surface is what we locally call "oil top." It's sort of a softish chip and seal-type surface that is pretty easy rolling for three seasons and mushy as all get-out in the heat of the summer...probably won't commute June/July/August anyway. I thought both of these two examples were pretty neat variations that would allow me to have a nice comfortable stance on the bike and since the frame is somewhat different from my normal road rides I just sort of would like to make it kind of eye catcher! It will also be my little "neighborhood" ride for evening rolls with my 9 year old granddaughter...I got her one of the WS Giant OCR carbon's for her birthday and it's pretty racy looking, figured I let her grab the "roadie spotlight" around here and I take on the roll of her goofy old Papa, which is pretty much what I am! The second of these two examples is from dirtdigger, it's the cockpit of the ride he did up for his Dad when he finally got him to ride, thanks dirt, pretty neat! The other is from the Vanilla web site, REALLY a little different, don't you think!? Not sure I could do that one with the candy cane-looking wrap!
If anyone can post a neat shot of the handlebars/brake levers that they have done or seen that you think would be of interest please do so...or contact me by PM and let me see what you've got, thanks! Mike

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/bikes/commuter/bike_c/lrg/10.jpg

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20253&highlight=Dirt%27s

Ken Robb
10-24-2006, 12:12 PM
go to the Rivendell site and read all you need to know about setting up a comfy bike through higher handlebars. The blue/white bars in your photo look like Nitto Moustache Bars available from Riv.

If your new bike had been built for standard reach brakes instead of short reach brakes I might have bought it myself because it would be a perfect bike for 700x30-37 mm tires. Still, I'll bet you can fit 700x27 Ruffy-Tuffys in there (it may require deflating the tires to clear the brakes) and at 90 psi they will ride very well.

palincss
10-24-2006, 05:06 PM
go to the Rivendell site and read all you need to know about setting up a comfy bike through higher handlebars. The blue/white bars in your photo look like Nitto Moustache Bars available from Riv.

The other bars look an awful lot like Albatross bars, also available from Rivendell.

dirtdigger88
10-24-2006, 05:14 PM
The other bars look an awful lot like Albatross bars, also available from Rivendell.

they are Albatross Bars-

Jason

trophyoftexas
10-24-2006, 08:40 PM
I know what the bars in the photo's I"VE provided are....I want to see what Y'ALL have done that is neat and cool and different!

coylifut
10-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I went for the priest bars on mine. I don't know if I would call it neat, cool or different.