PDA

View Full Version : New Rider - Build Advice Needed

Fuliautomatx
06-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Good morning,

Been riding x-country and downhill for years and am becoming more interested in the distance and endurance of riding road.

A friend recently gifted a frame and fork to me (VYNL road and enve fork, 60cm) and I’d like to build it up.

Budget is about $1000, hopefully can acquire parts online. Same friend moved all parts from this frame to his new so I am starting the build from scratch.

I’m looking for some advice for a relative beginner...a build list would be good if someone can provide. I’d like to do this myself and avoid bike shop assistance as I live in a small remote location. Closest bike shop is 300 km away.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

mktng
06-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Shimano 5800/6800
Shimano RS-81 C24
Any bar/stem/seatpost

im sure if you looked around.
you could get everything for 1k or under 1k?

R3awak3n
06-26-2018, 10:46 AM
I would probably shop used here in the forum. I like campy myself but for that budget I would probably recommend ultegra 6800 (but maybe you can find some potenza if you are inclined to try campy). If new you should look at some 105.

For wheels, I would also try to find something used here in the forum, plenty of people selling nice wheelsets for $300. Something laced to a belgium or something a long those lines. So about $350 for group and $300 for wheels. Then some nice alloy ritchey bars, stem and seatpost should set you another $150-$200 on the used market leaving you some extra for chain, cassette, bar tape and bottle cages.

Fuliautomatx
06-26-2018, 10:54 AM
I would probably shop used here in the forum. I like campy myself but for that budget I would probably recommend ultegra 6800 (but maybe you can find some potenza if you are inclined to try campy). If new you should look at some 105.

Thanks for the advice! May I ask why you prefer campy?

R3awak3n
06-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the advice! May I ask why you prefer campy?

This is a big debate here since there are a lot of campy fans, some would not use anything else (not my case, I also have a bike with sram etap and I like it as much as my campy bikes, reason I don't recommend is because of your budget, I never have ridden sram mechanical so can't recommend that. Did have a ultegra bike for a brief moment and was nice, good bang for buck when it comes to groups).

I prefer campy because of how it fits in my hand, just works better for me. The levers are perfect. I also like the thumb button, not for everyone but I like shifting that way, not a fan of a moving braking lever. Also like the way it looks and the construction and materials are better (but you do pay for it).

Maybe see if a friend has a campy bike and another has a shimano. Ride both and see what you like.

FlashUNC
06-26-2018, 11:10 AM
For your budget, Shimano 105 is going to be tough to beat for the value/performance ratio.

And that's coming from a shameless Campy fan. You get a lot of bike part for the money with 105.

colker
06-26-2018, 11:17 AM
For your budget, Shimano 105 is going to be tough to beat for the value/performance ratio.

And that's coming from a shameless Campy fan. You get a lot of bike part for the money with 105.

Buy 105 new or close to being new. Chose your cassette wisely. Get shimano wheels. Ride on.

yinzerniner
06-26-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm a SRAM groupie since I just prefer the shifting method and feel vs Shimano and Campy, but even I can't deny that 105 is the best at bang for the buck.

Can pretty easily find a full 11 speed group including cassette for less than $300, then spend $100 on alloy cockpit (Cannondale C2 and Ritchey WCS alloy stuff is really cheap, light and affordable) then put all the rest towards the best wheels and saddle you can find.

jtakeda
06-26-2018, 11:37 AM

+1

Try and find wheels on your local Craigslist to avoid shipping and getting something a little nicer for your budget.

Fuliautomatx
06-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Appreciate all the excellent responses, thanks all.

Certainly have a good starting point now. Unfortunately craigslist isn’t widely used around here but we have kijiji and local papers that are usually pretty good for buy/sell.

Anyone have opinions on tubeless? I’ve been running tubeless on my x-country bike and am glad I made the switch, imagine it can’t be much different on road.

dustyrider
06-26-2018, 11:52 AM
I’ve got an entire 6800 group set sans wheels with low miles. Haven’t got around to selling since the used bike part market has been gutted. Wouldn’t mind cutting a noob a great price as a welcome to the forum. I’d leave enough room in your budget for a very nice set of hand built wheels from the old potato! ;)

vqdriver
06-26-2018, 12:08 PM
within your budget, i'd plan on spending 50/50 on wheels and everything else. a better set of wheels will do more for your ride than a next tier up groupset. you can find used ultegra/105/rival all day long.

stick to 11sp for wheels, even if you buy a 10sp group.

ducati2
06-26-2018, 12:11 PM
I wish I had the kind of friend that would gift me a VYNL frameset. They are nice, enjoy!

yinzerniner
06-26-2018, 12:15 PM
I’ve got an entire 6800 group set sans wheels with low miles. Haven’t got around to selling since the used bike part market has been gutted. Wouldn’t mind cutting a noob a great price as a welcome to the forum. I’d leave enough room in your budget for a very nice set of hand built wheels from the old potato! ;)

Depending on the color of the OP's vinyl, could easily get a unreal build using these purple T11's for about $500-600 all in using Sapim Race, Pillar or DT Comps and top level alloy rims:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=223713

And the hubs will last forever.

BobbyJones
06-26-2018, 12:22 PM
There are great deals to be had on the forum / craigslist if you wait it out, but in the end if you want to ride that bike now or in the near future, I'd just buy new stuff from Europe (assuming you're in Canada / US). You may save a few bucks by sifting through the classifieds, but with prices for new stuff being fairly inexpensive it may not be worth the hassle.

I'd just go for a 5800 / 6800 group and some prebuilt wheels like Fulcrum 5's.

Since you're not exactly sure what works for your contact points, an inexpensive stem / bar combo like Deda RHM / Zero 100, same with seatpost. The only thing I would look for used or take off is a saddle. They're all very expensive new, and it's the one thing you'll probably want to change out first.

So, if it was me, for a little over $900 from Merlin will get you:

Shimano 6800 group
Fulcrum 5's
Deda Zero 1 stem
Deda RHM 2 Bars
Deda RSX02 Seatpost

and just add, Bar Tape, Saddle, Tires and Pedals of choice and you'll have a VERY respectable foundation.

This'll get you riding, and you can keep an eye on the classifieds for upgrades, etc.

Fuliautomatx
06-26-2018, 12:38 PM
I wish I had the kind of friend that would gift me a VYNL frameset. They are nice, enjoy!

He’s not bad!

Fuliautomatx
06-26-2018, 12:48 PM

Sent you a message. Have to ask.....what’s the old potato?

DRZRM
06-26-2018, 01:02 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=28701

OldPotatoe, one of several quality wheel builders who are members here, builds a quality affordable wheelset. I'd still look for used in the Classifieds. As folks move towards disc frames and wheels, nice used rim brakes can be had for a song. I'd do that used 6800 group, and look at what is on offer around $3-400 these days.

dustyrider
06-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Sent you a message. Have to ask.....what’s the old potato?

Sent a reply. And someone covered the old spud question!

Burning Pines
06-26-2018, 01:30 PM
You could get this for under 1k, sell the frame, and be in it for pretty cheap: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bikes-frames/road-bikes/racing-road-bikes/fuji-roubaix-12-le-road-bike-2017-performance-exclusive-31-6958

Mostly ultegra. The oval (Fuji) branded stuff usually isn’t too bad. I guess you just need to make sure the bottom bracket standard is the same as your Vinyl.

DuddyJ
06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
I feel like trying to sell a fuji frameset is more work then just buying used 5800 or 6800.

yinzerniner
06-26-2018, 01:59 PM
You could get this for under 1k, sell the frame, and be in it for pretty cheap: https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bikes-frames/road-bikes/racing-road-bikes/fuji-roubaix-12-le-road-bike-2017-performance-exclusive-31-6958

Mostly ultegra. The oval (Fuji) branded stuff usually isn’t too bad. I guess you just need to make sure the bottom bracket standard is the same as your Vinyl.

Also the VYNL is a 60, while the only Fuji bikes available are 48 and 49. Would be WAY more work to just scrounge off the Shifters, RD, FD and wheels as all the other bits wouldn't fit the OP at all.

Burning Pines
06-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Missed the size, you’re right that would be a pain. I’d go with 105 from wiggle. I think affording ultegra and good wheels and stuff from the euro sites is pretty optimistic but who knows

CNY rider
06-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Not wanting to piss in anyone’s cornflakes but does the OP have the ability to install a headset, crown race and bottom bracket on his own?

Ken Robb
06-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Where are you located that seems so remote?