PDA

View Full Version : shout out for 1up rack

jimcav
06-25-2018, 05:35 PM
after years of my crappy allen rack, and reading many threads, I scored a 1up rack (1 plus 2 bike add-on) on craigslist. It is awesome. I recently drove from san diego area to Gallup NM, rode with a buddy, then on to kernville ca, then back home. rock solid, easy to load unload, folds so flat to my truck. I love it. Have used it several times taking my 2 boys riding. They can use it versus have unable to lift their bikes over the tailgate pad Iused to do. Wish I'd bought one a decade ago.

semdoug
06-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Thanks for posting this. We have been researching hitch racks and seem to find something we don’t like about each; too much plastic, bikes hit each other, poor security, etc. Is there anything you do not like about the 1up?

Ralph
06-26-2018, 06:32 AM
I really like mine....2 bike plus 1 bike add on. Especially like how it folds up compactly to sit in corner of garage. I still store in original shipping boxes....reinforced with some duct tape.

Nooch
06-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately I'm going to have to upgrade mine at some point, as it's only a 1.25 rack and I'm going to need to get up to 4 bikes at some point. Thankfully I have a few years for that to happen

jimcav
06-26-2018, 08:06 AM
Thanks for posting this. We have been researching hitch racks and seem to find something we don’t like about each; too much plastic, bikes hit each other, poor security, etc. Is there anything you do not like about the 1up?

1) price
2) weight--not that bad for me, but awkward to insert once you get 3-4 trays going. no way my wife could do it
3) security--see #1 above made me feel I had to secure it. bought the hitch security pin from 1up, decided that was too flimsy so also added krytonite lock that goes around rack and through my hitch. I often leave the bike on my truck (feel my neighborhood and work is safe), so bought the security bolt for the add-on from 1up, and also the bike wheel locks from 1up, all keyed alike. Decided that wasn't enough for overnight and bought a PAWG (I think that is correct) safety chain (1/2 inch) with equally difficult to cut lock (forget the brand). now i just need an old firehose to be a sleeve around the chain (currently use pipe insulation pieces on my bike but that is a bit of a pain, especially on windy days)
4) back up camera is harder to use when rack is folded up--no issue when down, prob varies from vehicle to vehicle
5) raising it up--a bit awkward as you have to reach under the rack to pull the bar release--not sure how much worse that is if i had max 4 trays, and likely easier if only 1-2 trays--but I am stiff and less flexible than i once was (can't even claim to be as good once, as i ever was, with apologies to Toby Keith)

I haven't taken it off, and don't think i ever will unless i have to tow a trailer one day. It folds so tight to the truck it doesn't affect anything.
PS I was on the wait list for Cal's new version when this hit y local CL. I love this thing so much I may get that to go on my wife's jeep--hard to justify the cost of doing that but it really is great. I'm often away form home 3-4 days at a time for work so if she ever starts riding with the boys, or in short order when my oldest can drive, it may make sense

old fat man
06-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Unless a used 1Up falls in my lap from craigslist or similar, I'm waiting for the second incarnation from Cal. I'm not in a huge rush, but I do look forward to ditching the roof rack and the old top tube supporting hitch rack options we currently have.

Idris Icabod
06-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Did you ride the 24 hour race in Gallup?

jimcav
06-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Did you ride the 24 hour race in Gallup?

we rode at Ft Wingate actually, quaking aspen, y2k, screaming handlebars?, to berma. My buddy had just ridden dirty kansa so we ditched plans for Sedona, due to heat and his legs. I thought about the high desert trails at Gallup, but there are a few tech sections wiiht exposure near the edges, and he was tired and borrowing my bike, so the easier flowy stuff at ft wingate seemed better

cinema
06-26-2018, 11:12 AM
so damn expensive. i know i should put the money into some preventative maintenance on my 4 wheeler before i slap one on, but it's going to be the rack i buy eventually. holding out for a craigslist find

p nut
06-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Well, Quikrack is another option and slightly cheaper, but....

"THE QUIK-RACK MACH 2 COMPLETE PRODUCT LINE AS SHOWN ON OUR WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION. WE HAVE A LIST THAT YOU CAN SIGN-UP TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. THE LIST IS ON THE NEWSLETTER PAGE BELOW. WE HAVE OVER 4000 PEOPLE AND COUNTING THAT ARE ON THE LIST SO FAR."

I have a Kuat that has served me well. But I do like how small those 1UP's store.

jimcav
06-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Well, Quikrack is another option and slightly cheaper, but....

"THE QUIK-RACK MACH 2 COMPLETE PRODUCT LINE AS SHOWN ON OUR WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION. WE HAVE A LIST THAT YOU CAN SIGN-UP TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. THE LIST IS ON THE NEWSLETTER PAGE BELOW. WE HAVE OVER 4000 PEOPLE AND COUNTING THAT ARE ON THE LIST SO FAR."

I have a Kuat that has served me well. But I do like how small those 1UP's store.

last update i got was maybe they start in July with availability, perhaps price will go up with tariffs though

semdoug
06-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the information. The 1up and the Quick-Rack look similar, but with differing hitch attachment and security.

chris7ed
06-27-2018, 06:28 AM
I think Cal is trying to figure out how to make a rack at his advertised price. It's low.

pncguy
11-24-2018, 06:31 PM
I'm all for supporting the original guy, but he is STILL not shipping...

djg21
11-24-2018, 06:46 PM
I just purchased a Kuat NV 2.0. It’s a nice rack. The only issue is that it holds only two bikes, and the available add-on is for an additional two bikes and is really makes the rack much longer. I don’t think I’m inclined to get the add-on because of the size, and because I rarely have a need to transport four bikes. If Kuat made a one-bike add-so I could carry three bikes, I’d buy it in a second.

eddief
11-24-2018, 06:53 PM
http://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/transfer/

You can get it as a one bike and then add an attachment for a second bike. I am surprised the 3 major rack companies have not challenged the 1Up. Why can't they all have the wheel holders fold into the the bike rail? I think there is no other rack that matches the smart looks of the 1Up. I hear it works good too. All the others look like hell's going on on the back of your car.

I don't own a hitch rack yet, but that may change soon.

CunegoFan
11-24-2018, 06:59 PM
I'm all for supporting the original guy, but he is STILL not shipping...

I think he gave up and licensed the design to one of the big manufacturers. There was something on MTBR's forums about it.

fiamme red
11-24-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm very surprised to see that the aluminum trainer is no longer for sale:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/trainers/

I had one, and it was a very well-made piece of equipment.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/archives/2004Jan/images/1up1.jpg

LJohnny
11-24-2018, 08:00 PM
I have one of those 1up trainers, super solid. Even though I don’t use much since I switched to a smart Tacx Trainer, I keep it as it is the quietest and over engineered trainer I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eddief
11-24-2018, 08:28 PM
https://www.saris.com/product/mtr2
https://bikerumor.com/2018/08/29/crankworx-2018-saris-mtr-hitch-mounted-bike-rack-grows-shrinks-and-swings/

joosttx
11-24-2018, 09:43 PM
http://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/transfer/

You can get it as a one bike and then add an attachment for a second bike. I am surprised the 3 major rack companies have not challenged the 1Up. Why can't they all have the wheel holders fold into the the bike rail? I think there is no other rack that matches the smart looks of the 1Up. I hear it works good too. All the others look like hell's going on on the back of your car.

I don't own a hitch rack yet, but that may change soon.

I think Kuat hitch racks are easier to load bikes than the 1up. But the 1up seems to be better quality at least it has no plastic parts. With that said the Kuat quality is very nice.

peanutgallery
11-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Consumer direct => pffffffft

sandyrs
11-25-2018, 09:28 AM
I think Kuat hitch racks are easier to load bikes than the 1up. But the 1up seems to be better quality at least it has no plastic parts. With that said the Kuat quality is very nice.

I own a 1up and ride a lot with a friend who has a Kuat- I have had the opposite experience with loading the two brands’ racks. On the Kuat it is always a pain to make sure our handlebars/saddles/seatposts aren’t clanging against one another. The 1up gives much more flexibility for positioning multiple bikes and even for a single, loading a bike takes about ten seconds.

joosttx
11-25-2018, 09:33 AM
I own a 1up and ride a lot with a friend who has a Kuat- I have had the opposite experience with loading the two brands’ racks. On the Kuat it is always a pain to make sure our handlebars/saddles/seatposts aren’t clanging against one another. The 1up gives much more flexibility for positioning multiple bikes and even for a single, loading a bike takes about ten seconds.

Good point. I am dealing mostly with one bike and by myself on a driveway on a big slope. I found it easier to work the attachment mechs on the Kuat with one hand while the other is stabilizing the bike. Its not a deal breaker bc the 1up is not that difficult.

djg21
11-25-2018, 09:40 AM

You can reposotion the front wheel trays to avoid this. There is an Allen wrench stored in the backside of the rack just for that purpose. I’ve never had a problem though, with road bikes or mountain bikes.

I did speak to Kuat, which apparently has received many requests for a single bike add-on so three bikes can be carries simultaneously. I was told that it is something Kuat is considering.