PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about your Zona bike..

veggieburger
06-25-2018, 09:31 AM
A buddy wants to sell me his Columbus Zona road bike. The only steel I have ever ridden is TSX (luv it), but I realize it's older, lugged, etc.

Obviously so much depends on the builder, fit, geometry, etc, but what are your impressions on your Columbus Zona ride?

Thanks!

8aaron8
06-25-2018, 09:44 AM
As you mentioned so much depends on how the frame is built. One of the interesting things about Zona tubing is it comes in a range of sizes including gauges and butt lengths. You can actually build a full Zona frame that can weigh less than an identical frame in Columbus Spirit tubing, which is sort of their flagship tubing along with XCR and Life. So all in all, if the frame was built for the riders intended purpose it will be great.

johnniecakes
06-25-2018, 10:31 AM
I have a Merckx Roubaix 70 size L (58 +/-) that is built with Zona. I cannot comment on ride quality because I believe is just to subjective and everyone has a different opinion. But I can tell you that my bike is significantly stiffer than my Corsa Extra (SLX) and slightly stiffer than my Gunnar Roadie (58). It's a nice set of tubes, but then again it is Columbus.

Black Dog
06-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Zona is shaped and very oversized. Expect stiffer and responsive. That is the intent that Zona was designed for.

jemdet
06-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Zona tubes aren't "series" tubes, like SL or SFL. Zona is a broader classification including shaped and round tubes of various diameters and thicknesses. You can get a 31.8 8/5/8 Zona Downtube or a jewel-shaped 28/43 7/5/7 Zona "Megatube."

I've used Zona in OS / Double OS sizes and have always had good experiences.

arimajol
06-25-2018, 11:59 AM
I have a lugged Marinoni with Zona tubing. It feels stiffer than older lugged steel frames I've had, though thought could be because the tubs are OS. It rides very nicely.

veggieburger
06-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Thank you. This is all very good info.

v531xc
06-25-2018, 02:26 PM
I think the downtube of my Chapman is Zona and, as much as I can feel that one specific tube, it seems to be doing its job well. The chainstays are on the stiff side for discs and they seem to work well with the BB and downtube.

I had a Nature Boy zona a while back and I liked it a lot more than I expected to. It always felt like it was stiff enough for pedaling hard, but never felt harsh. I have a Bilenky that is all Life tubes, and its surely lighter than the Nature Boy was, but it also has smaller diameter tubes and it feels that way - a bit more springy. Can't really call it a 1:1 comparison given the different tube diameters, but I use both bikes similarly and they don't feel all that different in ride quality.