PDA

View Full Version : Campy Athena 11 Shifter Cable Question

DarrinNYC
06-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Help, Campagnolo experts!!! :)

I'm trying to install a Campy Athena 11-Speed groupset; this is 3 or 4 years old and brand new. Everything is going well, except for a problem installing the shift cable on the left lever (for the front derailleur). I've released the thumb, "downshift" button to it's "relaxed" position. I insert the cable (yes it is a Campy-specific shift cable), but it simply will not "grab" inside the shift lever so that I can actuate the cable with the lever or the thumb release. I had no issues with the right lever and the corresponding rear derailleur cable. What am I doing wrong??

I simply cannot find an explanation for this online!!!

Below is a picture of the lever in question.

Thanks in advance.... Darrin.

Hindmost
06-24-2018, 10:24 PM
I don't have a succinct answer but a couple of thoughts. It's possible to press the paddle and move the cam to the big ring position and it will not return without the cable in place to draw it back to the little ring, starting position.

If you haven't already you're going to have to peer up into the lever slot and locate the cam. While actuating the return lever you may need to coax the cam back to the starting position. Then make sure when threading the cable that you go through the proper hole in the cam.

I hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2018, 06:47 AM
Help, Campagnolo experts!!! :)

I'm trying to install a Campy Athena 11-Speed groupset; this is 3 or 4 years old and brand new. Everything is going well, except for a problem installing the shift cable on the left lever (for the front derailleur). I've released the thumb, "downshift" button to it's "relaxed" position. I insert the cable (yes it is a Campy-specific shift cable), but it simply will not "grab" inside the shift lever so that I can actuate the cable with the lever or the thumb release. I had no issues with the right lever and the corresponding rear derailleur cable. What am I doing wrong??

I simply cannot find an explanation for this online!!!

Below is a picture of the lever in question.

Thanks in advance.... Darrin.

Take the lever off the bike, turn it over and watch as the cable goes thru the hole under the lever body, thru the 'spool' and up..sometimes hard to find that route, the clearances are small..but trying to fish it thru with lever on bike very hard.