PDA

View Full Version : Bike rental / rides Lake Tahoe

woodworker
06-24-2018, 09:22 AM
I will be staying on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe for a week in July. I won’t be able to bring my road bike and was looking to find a shop recommendation for a high end rental.

Also, if anyone has ride recommendations, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mzilliox
06-24-2018, 09:32 AM
tuning in, going to a Dave Matthews concert there and bringing bikes in september!

Hindmost
06-24-2018, 10:24 AM
North Shore? I would definitely consider mountain bikes. Trails and fire roads run out of Tahoe City to Squaw, Truckee and Northstar. Flume Trail not far away, major epic. Don't know about the rentals.

Ken Robb
06-25-2018, 01:58 PM
I chatted with a cyclist this morning in Truckee. He has ridden around Lake Tahoe but says he will only do it now when there are organized rides in early Summer and again in September. He feels there is safety in numbers and auto drivers are more considerate when passing a big group. There are places with bike paths and I have ridden those but this local man and I agree that there are some places that are steep and twisty with no shoulder that we would not ride. OTOH the Flume Trail is fabulous and there are lots of other good options for mountain biking so a mtn. bike is what I would get. You can always cruise paved roads on it too. The pavement is typically rough as you would expect from snow plows so fat tires are very desirable.

Ken Robb
06-26-2018, 07:32 PM
More info: I went into Bike Truckee to ask for info for you. I talked with Rachel. She and everyone in the shop were very nice and helpful. They rent Specialized and KLH FS and HT 29ers. Their 2-day HT rates are $110 for 29er and $150 FS.They also rent by the hour or any period you prefer to as long as a week and of course the rate per day goes down the longer you keep the bike.. Nonee of the shop people recommend riding around Lake Tahoe except in an organized event.
phone: 530-386-5700
www.truckeebikerentals.com

In an earlier post someone raved about their experience renting from Paco's. I saw the shop but did not go in. They had some Specialized bikes for sale out front of the shop.

Bob Ross
06-26-2018, 09:10 PM
A year or two ago I rented a pair of lovely Trek Domanes from Paco's Bike & Ski
www.pacosxc.com in Truckee.
Bikes were in incredibly good condition, and the people who worked there were wonderful. Highly recommended.