PDA

View Full Version : fix my neutrons or get Archetype on Bitex?

dasein
06-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Someone backed into my bike that was racked on my car. Bent my rear Neutron Ultra, and the hub is salvageable. Front wheel is fine (so is my Zank). Anyway, it will cost about 300 to rebuild the wheel around the hub. I'm also thinking about a set of H plus son (archetype or TB 14) laced to Bitex hubs. That's about 400 shipped. I keep bouncing back and forth. Will I hate the Bitex hubs? Anyone able to render ride quality opinions of the 3 wheel set options. I very much liked the ride of the Neutrons (also have Eurus and Boras), but I'm not sure I want another hard and expensive to repair wheel.

I'm also wondering if I would be able to sell the good front and unrideable rear Neutron for about 150.

Thanks

AngryScientist
06-24-2018, 08:51 AM
first off, bitex hubs are excellent quality for the price. they use standard sealed bearings and roll very nicely with decent weight. you really cant go wrong with those hubs.

replacement neutron rim is 148 with free ship, if you can re-use your old spokes, maybe just order the rim and have a wheelbuilder fix you up. should be no more than $50 labor, so $200 to fix the wheel IMO.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/campagnolo-neutron-ultra-rear-rim?utm_source=TPA%20On%20Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Top%20Placement%20Ads%C2%AE%20(SPLA)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=People%20Searching%20For%20Bike%20Parts&utm_content=Google%20Shopping&product_id=91789&device=c&loc_physical_ms=9003551&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vOgwLjs2wIVCFqGCh1a5AdWEAQYAyAB EgLnJ_D_BwE

fignon's barber
06-24-2018, 09:06 AM
I'd go with the Bitex/Archetype set up. Wider is better.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2018, 09:10 AM
first off, bitex hubs are excellent quality for the price. they use standard sealed bearings and roll very nicely with decent weight. you really cant go wrong with those hubs.

replacement neutron rim is 148 with free ship, if you can re-use your old spokes, maybe just order the rim and have a wheelbuilder fix you up. should be no more than $50 labor, so $200 to fix the wheel IMO.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/campagnolo-neutron-ultra-rear-rim?utm_source=TPA%20On%20Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Top%20Placement%20Ads%C2%AE%20(SPLA)&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=People%20Searching%20For%20Bike%20Parts&utm_content=Google%20Shopping&product_id=91789&device=c&loc_physical_ms=9003551&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vOgwLjs2wIVCFqGCh1a5AdWEAQYAyAB EgLnJ_D_BwE

Ayup..drop-ship the rim to me, send the old bent up wheel and I'll rebuild..$55 labor plus ship.

Peter

VTCaraco
06-24-2018, 10:20 AM
I was dedicated to Campy wheels before I had a chain hop that compromised a couple of spokes and one eventually failed. I DID end up having it fixed, but fell out of love with them and followed the trend towards wider rims.
I will, on occasion, swoon at some of the pre-builts posted here, but I'm committed to the wider rims on good hubs that folks like Old Spud build.

Probably a push between getting what you have fixed and divesting or simply moving on.

Joxster
06-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Stick with the Neutrons (or push the boat out and create some Hyperons)

macaroon
06-24-2018, 02:56 PM
TBH, I'm fifty fifty on Bitex hubs.

They're light with plenty of engagement points and a loud freehub (if that's your thing).

But, the freehub seal wasn't very good on mine, which meant the freehub ended up with grotty water in it. Normally not a big deal on most hubs, but the pawl springs are so small and delicate on these things, that it trashed them. Granted, I rode through some pretty deep water, but I've never had this issue with any other hubs I've owned.

I replaced them once and then it happened again so I just got a new freehub assembly.

Couple of other things: bearings are all still nice and smooth, despite the above. The bite guards on the freehub snap off eventually.

I'd probably risk them in your shoes, as for the price they're pretty good.

I replaced them with DT hubs as I think they're the best on the market.

Hplusson rims are good IME. Check out Kinlin rims though, usually cheap and good enough quality.

peanutgallery
06-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Wide rims=> lower pressure => future

Consider DT350 or Hope hubs, worth the extra few bucks. I'm generally down on direct to consumer stuff

pjmsj21
06-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Neutrons are pretty special wheels and especially sought after in tubular form. Their hubs roll forever as you know. I’d get the Neutrons repaired even with the proprietary hassle of Campy wheels.

dasein
06-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Oldpotatoe can fix my neutrons at a price that makes keeping them worthwhile. I'm going with that, and will probably end up with an H plus set at some point. Might sell my Eurus down the road.

Thanks for all the feedback! And especially great to have a skilled wheel builder looking out.

colker
06-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Oldpotatoe can fix my neutrons at a price that makes keeping them worthwhile. I'm going with that, and will probably end up with an H plus set at some point. Might sell my Eurus down the road.

Thanks for all the feedback! And especially great to have a skilled wheel builder looking out.

That´s what i would do. Looking at semi destroyed stuff in the garage is depressing and life deserves better. Two wheelsets .. why not????

spinarelli
06-24-2018, 09:22 PM
I'd get the neutron repaired as I really dislike mismatched wheel sets. Those hubs are so nice, spin free and are very easy to service and swap bearings if needed.

cadence90
06-24-2018, 09:29 PM
.... ..

soulspinner
06-25-2018, 05:46 AM
I'd go with the Bitex/Archetype set up. Wider is better.

Having put 500 miles on a set of wider rims, I agree. The ride is better and Ive yet to see any downside.