PDA

View Full Version : Custom Aluminium Road Bike

hainy
06-23-2018, 11:13 PM
I have two lovely lugged steel bikes which are keepers and are looking for a 3rd custom bike to use for travelling when I am taking on big mountains and you can be climbing at times for a couple of hours. My initial thoughts was titanium but really don't want to spend that much and now thinking aluminium. Can anyone who has bought a custom aluminium give me a bit of feedback on builder and ride experience.

Cheers

Hainy

Mike V
06-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Rock Lobster.

colbyh
06-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Rock Lobster aluminum rides like butter. If it's a travel bike and you want it coupled I think aluminum poses some problems though? http://www.sandsmachine.com/rtro_alm.htm

dave thompson
06-24-2018, 12:24 AM
I’ll add Tsunami. Quirky website but a hell of a good bike. More than reasonable too.

FlashUNC
06-24-2018, 01:11 AM
Rock Lobster.

Paul's great and I can't envision parting with mine. He builds a stiff and smooth alloy frame.

hainy
06-24-2018, 02:14 AM
Thanks Guys,

I will check these recommendations. No to be coupled. I have good scion bag.

Cheers

Hainy

weisan
06-24-2018, 04:36 AM
Not aluminum but have you considered Ritchey breakaway?

simonov
06-24-2018, 04:44 AM
Gaulzetti. Some of the best handling bikes around.

GonaSovereign
06-24-2018, 07:49 AM
How custom? What kind of ride do you want? How long do you want to wait for it?

There are plenty of excellent options out there, from small production run bikes welded by legends (Spooky, Vynl) to one-person shops (Zukas, Rock Lobster), small shops (Stoemper, Low), great designer/hand-built options (Gaulzetti). Those are just US-based options.

All of those can be had custom, while the Spooky and Vynl also come in stock sizes. I have a Spooky Mulholland. It’s pretty light, the wheels are in the right place, and when you put power into the pedals it goes fast. I can run 28s on it, but usually run 25s. I race it and it's versatile enough to ride everywhere:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1778/42263161114_92db76e271_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27oDKnC)Spooky (https://flic.kr/p/27oDKnC)

AngryScientist
06-24-2018, 08:05 AM
if you don't absolutely need custom and can fit on stock sized bikes, i can attest that the current crop of off the shelf aluminum bikes are really fantastic. bikes like the allez, caad 12, bianchi nirone, etc.

i rent bikes often due to travel, and have been quite impressed with current stock aluminum.

even carbon can be quite affordable right now, for very good frames.

for a dedicated travel bike, i would personally go with a stock bike if i could fit it.

just a thought.

dasein
06-24-2018, 08:27 AM
I have a Zanconato custom alloy and a CAAD 12. Both are great. The CAAD feels more like carbon and the Zank more like steel. Amazing how the same material feels different. My Zank feels like a lighter version of my Marcelo, and I had a tough time distinguishing between the CAAD 12 and a Supersix Evo.

I'm awaiting a Roc

dasein
06-24-2018, 08:29 AM
A rock lobster steelI have a Zanconato custom alloy and a CAAD 12. Both are great. The CAAD feels more like carbon and the Zank more like steel. Amazing how the same material feels different. My Zank feels like a lighter version of my Marcelo, and I had a tough time distinguishing between the CAAD 12 and a Supersix Evo.

I'm awaiting a Roc

Cicli
06-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Rock Lobster makes a very nice alloy bike.

semdoug
06-24-2018, 09:23 AM
That green Bowman Palace in the classifieds looks interesting.

54ny77
06-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Heres my $02: get a CAAD. New or used. They really are that good, and can be found for screaming deals now and then.

(I'm speaking as one who's had 3 custom aluminum bikes by the way, and a CAAD9.)

That aside, go custom if that's what your inner voice is saying. Lots of builders as recommended here, Rock Lobster probably being among the longest tenure in custom aluminum specialty and stellar reputation. Fairly priced too.

I have no experience ordering one or riding one, but the Italian brand Formigli makes a nice alu. frame (custom). Don't see em often either. They make gorgeous custom steel bikes also. Plus carbon stuff. All in-house, apparently. http://formigli.com/company/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpVK2bWWGQ

eddief
06-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Are they still in business?

d_douglas
06-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Both the Spooky and the RL posted look amazing. I’d love to try a great aluminum bike.

I tried a Sprcialiezed Allez on a vacation and wasn’t impressed - I was vibrating after my ride that was on rough, broken up chipsealed roads.

R3awak3n
06-24-2018, 10:55 AM
I had a spooky and it was an awesome bike. Fastest bike I have ever been on. Steering was so direct. What it was not was comfortable, after 50 miles I was beat (I will say that the HT was a bit too short for my liking and this could have something to do with it).

I have always wanted a CAAD and if stock that is what I would buy, custom, I have always wanted a rock lobster so I would give Paul my business.

beeatnik
06-24-2018, 01:16 PM
I had a tough time distinguishing between the CAAD 12 and a Supersix Evo.

I concur. At least the pre-2017 Evo.

Bob Ross
06-24-2018, 03:03 PM
I really have no business contributing to this thread, other than to say that on two occasions I have rented a CAAD12 for some 4-5 day cycling vacations, and both times I was sincerely and convincingly impressed. Like, if that was my only bike I'd probably be perfectly happy.

[edit: Wait, sorry, one of those times it was a CAAD10.]

macaroon
06-24-2018, 03:30 PM
CAAD 10 or 12
Kinesis Aithein
Bowman Palace R
Canyon Ultimate

They're all reasonably priced, light and fast.

I'd say lightweight aluminium is pretty fragile stuff though, it's dents very easily. Carbon is probably a bit tougher and a lot more repairable.

hainy
06-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the help

It has to be custom

I have gone back to my original idea of a titanium and most likely a Seven.

My friend and bike fitter Steve Hogg has one and rates it highly. I will order through him.

Cheers and thanks again for all your help.

booglebug
06-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Can’t go wrong with a Seven