PDA

View Full Version : Campag hub overall problem

dancinkozmo
06-23-2018, 12:21 PM
any advice from the campy guys would really be appreciated. im regreasing some campag chorus hubs from 1997.
front one went fine, but on the rear when i do the final tighten up on the left side locknuts the freewheel becomes really difficult to spin. i cleaned out all the grease from the pawls and ratchet teeth but it didnt help. it seem to spin okay (a bit of excess drag maybe ) until the final bearing adjustment.....anyone have any ideas what the issue might be ?

thanks

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/rousseau1901/recordrearhubcatalogue_2009.jpg

Joxster
06-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Bearings in the right way?

The seal seated correctly?

dancinkozmo
06-23-2018, 12:50 PM
i think so....when i rotate the axle it turns smoothly

Hindmost
06-23-2018, 01:07 PM
The seal seated correctly?

I found this to be pretty tricky, I had to try several times to get the rubber o-ring to slip into place.

The axle bearing adjustment should be entirely independent of the freehub (binding issue.) I would loosen / remove the free hub and then initially adjust the axle bearings. Then install and tighten the freehub while looking for any source of binding. (This is a troubleshooting suggestion.)

darkmother
06-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Maybe the seal over the right side bearing is not seated properly and binding on the freehub?

El Chaba
06-23-2018, 01:44 PM
You must be doing the final locknut tightening by using both the left and right locknuts. Make sure you do the bearing adjustment by securing the cone with a cone wrench and same side locknut with another wrench. The whole operation is easier with the axle in a vise. Also, the locknut/grub screw/axle may be damaged/chewed on the freewheel side. Check that out as if it is damaged in any significant way it may not hold adjustment as it should. These are SOLID hubs....

oldpotatoe
06-23-2018, 02:07 PM
i think so....when i rotate the axle it turns smoothly

10 7/32 interior, 9 1/4 On non drive side. Pawls seated and rubber o ring at base of FHB not getting pinched?

oldpotatoe
06-23-2018, 02:10 PM
I found this to be pretty tricky, I had to try several times to get the rubber o-ring to slip into place.

The axle bearing adjustment should be entirely independent of the freehub. I would loosen / remove the free hub and then initially adjust the axle bearings. Then install and tighten the freehub while looking for any source of binding.

RH locknut should be tightened to only about 7 nm...not very tight then tighten down set screw. I’d I stall FHB, tighten to that 7nm...then install axle into hub(no pinched seal)...and use the non drive side cone/locknut to adjust. The FHB doesn’t push against the interior cone. You can adjust the axle w/o the FHB body even on the axle, perfectly, then install FHB, tighten, which doesn’t effect hub adjust.

dancinkozmo
06-24-2018, 12:45 PM
got it working....thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
turns out the right hand seal FH-RE150 in the diagram above was not seated correctly.