PDA

View Full Version : C*R*U*S*H*E*R is here! Race check-in & share thoughts

Wayne77
06-22-2018, 02:14 PM
http://tusharcrusher.com/

I thought I'd start a race check-in thread. No need to post anything near as long as I did below :-) Apologies if there is already one started...I didn't see one. This will be my 3rd time. Every year I do it, by the time I am climbing back up the Col de Crush and its 95 degrees, I always swear this is the last time. I LOVE this race! Competitive gravel is far more interesting to me these days than the road racing I do. Anyway, I'll be in the 45-49 category with my local team (America First Credit Union)...we'll have 5 or 6 people. Solid orange jerseys. Sharing my insight and tips for 1st timers below. I'd be glad to answer questions or course insight as well.

Please feel free to share your rig set-up (+notable config choices and why), pics if you have any, any experiences of note, tips, where you're coming from, and course intel. I DEFINITELY want to hear about your tire choices. Also, feel free to share your race class & past times if you've done it before. Or simply say "hi" and/or comment about other's equipment choices! From me:

Category/Results/Goals: Racing 2016 time: 6:09 (Zanconato Racing), 2017 time: 5:55 (Zanconato Racing) 2018 goal: Under 5:30...maybe top 20.

Bike / Tire Setup: Norco Search XR, Sram Force CX1, 40T front, 10-42 rear (I'll definitely need the 40x42 on the Col De Crush!!).

I've been experimenting a lot this year. I've settle on mixed set - Maxxis Tread Lite 2.1" up front with a 47mm WTB Byway in the back. Why? Descending the Col de crush is rough...those tight switch backs are pretty loose with lots of washboard. People come in too hot and it gets very sketchy. I've been running the Byways front and rear, but as nice a gravel tire they are, I don't like how the front tracks in loose gravel. I have a very similar descent where I live and I've found that a wider front tire with more tread & a smooth back tire for reduced rolling resistance works great. It keeps the front wheel tracking and allows the rear to drift a bit descending those tight loose corners. The Maxxis tread lite rolls surprisingly well on the asphalt. It has an interesting crown - the center area is raised with a radius more like a 35mm tire, with very little tread. To either side of the crown, slightly lower are more aggressive knobbies. To me it rolls like a smooth 35c tire but corners more like a mtb tire. Jury is still out on the 1X. Last 2 years I did it on a true CX bike - 2x drivetrain 34T small ring, 36T large cog. I needed every last tooth of that cassette. Looks like a 40x42 is equivalent to a 34/36. A little worried about the wider shift gaps with the 10-42 cassette riding in a pack in the 20 mile asphalt section half way through the race.

**I am running a dropper post!** Crazy huh? The Norco came configured with a left shifter actuated very nice KS Lev dropper. I was skeptical I'd need it and had planned to sell it, but for a gravel bike doing steep/tight/fast technical descents (I do a lot) I'll never go back to not having one. Coming into loose switchback corners where the inside is VERY loose with a dropper feels SOO much safer and stable. I can actually rail a turn..even sometimes unclipping my inside foot and doing it MX style. Crazy I know, but on a drop bar bike, you're already way too far forward on steep descents and a dropper makes cornering so much faster )(for me...maybe not others). I can't wait to try the dropper on the Col De Crush descent. Normally I come into those corners having to slow to a crawl so I don't wash out. Hoping this set up will allow me to hang on to some of the fast people so I don't risk missing out on a good paceline for the 20 miles of asphalt around Circleville.

General Thoughts, Pre-Race notes to self, Course-intel etc:

- Heat management is key. Temps are great except that long slog through the Sarlac pit and of course back up the brutal Col de Crush. Once in the mtns again, the temps are great for the remainder of the race. That said, every year I really start to fade about mid way through the sarlac pit death slog. Part if that is I historically do 90% of my training early morning before it gets hot. So I'm simply not acclimated well to riding off road when its really hot. This year I am deliberately doing some gravel rides in the late afternoon with temps between 85-95 degrees. Many of which include a long 10 mile climb, with 5000' elevation gain.

Part of heat management for me is not just hydration but also doing whatever I can to stay wet. The nice thing about this race is there are a lot of feed stations and there are rows and rows of people handing up bottles from the start to the end of the feed zone. From the Circleville feed station onward I roll into the zone dumping whatever remaining water I have down my back and especially my thighs well before the start of the FZ (makes a huge difference hitting thighs with cold water!). I immediately chuck the empty bottles and grab 2 new bottles of water (they offer water and energy drink) for my cages, then I grab another for my jersey pocket. If there are still volunteers holding up bottles as I roll through I grab another and hold it in my hand until I can dump its contents down my back, over my head, etc, chucking it before I am outside the FZ. Basically, I try to stay as wet as possible and grab every bottle I can. I've heard some people say they wear a heavier weight jersey and thin arm covers - they retain water better for a swamp cooler effect. And of course the arm covers help with sun burn.

- Ejecting bottles over rough terrain. If you've done this event before you've seen hundreds of bottles all over the road descending the Col de Crush. If you don't have cages that are VERY VERY secure you WILL lose your bottles...especially if they are half full. Coming into the hot 20 miles of asphalt prior to Sarlac is the last place you want to lose your bottles. Last year I lost one but luckily grabbed the other just as it was about to launch. I like the Tacx Tao cages, but they don't hold bottles securely. I've heard great things about King cages in this respect.

- This year I'm experimenting with side-loading bottle cages. I hear they don't eject bottles as easily as the top loaders do. Barring that I'd at least do whatever you can to stuff them into your jersey pockets PRIOR to the Col de Crush descent.

-Do everything you can to ride the 20 mile asphalt section prior to the Sarlac pit in a group. Its pretty windy and doing it alone is miserable...you'll pay a dear price once you start the Sarlac death slog. If you can see people coming down the Col behind you its absolutely worth sitting up and waiting.

Other course intel:

- The event is pretty big...national presence...lots of ex pros do it. I've seen Zabriskie at the start line each year on his 3T exploro. This means they have to start the various age/category groups in closely spaced waves. I think they go off every couple minutes. The downside is that makes the 10 gradual asphalt climb before the mountains VERY chaotic. There is a lot of leapfrogging as some groups overtake others. The race groups will not stay together, but the stronger/competitive riders in each group typically do as they mark each other closely. So you'll see alot of 10-15 person groups leap frogging larger groups. So if you're competitive and not doing it just to finish the even stay near the front. Just know that you will be doing alot of accelerations, bridging up to others, and leap frogging larger groups. If you're not racing peers, save your energy and stay in the main group...you'll need it once you hit the mountains. Once you do everything splits up eventually. When you turn off the asphalt, you'll do a few hours of GORGEOUS alpine climbing. I think its between 4000'-5000' but since its so pretty and alternates between short kickers, gradual climbing, some flats, it really isn't bad.

Then you'll descend the Col de Crush (which you'll climb again). VERY steep descent, lots of washboard, and loose switchback corners. Stay alert. Then 20 miles of pavement, then a 2000' of gradual climbing on a jeep trail through hot desert (Sarlac...or as some call it "The Devil's arm pit). The looming above you is the Col de Crush after a couple miles climbins some steep asphalt. It can be a pretty miserable climb. Usually very hot. Get out of the saddle too much and you'll loose traction and spin out. I'm 5'11, 168 lbs and I had a 2x 34x36 last year and could have used another gear. I did it the year before with a 36T ring 28T cog and almost didn't make it up.

Once on top of that massive climb you go back into beautiful alpine country, the temp cools off really quick and for me at least that last 15 mile or so never seems very tough. I get a second wind. Its pretty, lots of rollers, and little climbing until the last few miles of very steep asphalt. Gut that out and you're done!

Last thing: I can't say enough about how awesome the race support is, feed zones, pre-race activities, post race food....ALL TOP NOTCH!

Good Luck!

My rig for this year:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4665/38986901064_894463b337_b_d.jpg

p nut
06-22-2018, 02:35 PM
I've always wanted to do this race, but I just don't have the time to train for it (to be competitive). I will probably head down that way to ride the course sometime this summer (it's about 2 hours from me), and will probably ride it on my Strong CX or Cannondale Slate. I think Slate might be a better choice given the Strong fits 40c max. Slate will need some beefier tires, but maybe the current G-One's will be ok. Maybe change out the front to something more aggressive.

Good luck out there. Pretty country.

Lewis Moon
06-22-2018, 03:10 PM
I actually registered for it last year, then got cold feet when my climbing training didn't go as planned. It's on my bucket list.

Andy sti
06-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Oh how I love Crusher! I've done it twice and think it's an amazing race.
Such a beautiful area. Utah is incredible. Unfortunately, I wont be there this year.

My results:
2015 - 4:40:28 for 2nd (45-49) and 12th overall
2016 - 4:39:49 for 1st (45-49) and 12th overall

Both years our group hammered the start and pretty much caught all the groups other than the Pro men. Both times we were the 1st age groupers to finish.

My bike wasn't anything special. I used my open mold carbon CX bike with 2x10. Low gear was 34x32 - enough but not enough. For tires I used 38mm Challenge Gravel Grinder Race with latex tubes on 20mm internal rims. I was very happy with my tires both years.

Biggest thing I'd change is gearing. I'd want something lower to allow me to "spin" a bit more on the col. I cramped both times in the same spot and I'd like to make it past that!

My advice is to just do it. Such a great event.

Andy

Wayne77
06-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Wow Andy, those are some amazing results. I’d love to do sub 5 hours someday. Aside from fitness and power, do you have any advice on other differentiators to move up the standings? I am 5’11”, FTP is 295, weigh 168. My fitness is up about 20% over last year, FTP 15 watts higher. I’m assuming podium contender guys like you are probably pushing FTP numbers quite a bit higher than that so Im always thinking of ways I can grab a minute here or there.

Oh how I love Crusher! I've done it twice and think it's an amazing race.
Such a beautiful area. Utah is incredible. Unfortunately, I wont be there this year.

My results:
2015 - 4:40:28 for 2nd (45-49) and 12th overall
2016 - 4:39:49 for 1st (45-49) and 12th overall

Both years our group hammered the start and pretty much caught all the groups other than the Pro men. Both times we were the 1st age groupers to finish.

My bike wasn't anything special. I used my open mold carbon CX bike with 2x10. Low gear was 34x32 - enough but not enough. For tires I used 38mm Challenge Gravel Grinder Race with latex tubes on 20mm internal rims. I was very happy with my tires both years.

Biggest thing I'd change is gearing. I'd want something lower to allow me to "spin" a bit more on the col. I cramped both times in the same spot and I'd like to make it past that!

My advice is to just do it. Such a great event.

Andy

Andy sti
06-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Biggest advice is going from the gun. Our group starts last if I recall. We hammered and moved up through all the other age groups. If you can stay with those guys it makes a huge difference. Of course if you push too hard you'll pay later. :)
Also just sit on Cooke's wheel!

I'm 6'1" and about 155lbs. My FTP for that race was prob 330ish. That makes a difference for sure. It's an FTP type race.

A light bike. Those climbs are long and you're at 10,000ft. Saving a kilo on the bike is huge! Losing the dropper may gain you more going uphill than you'll gain going down - idk. What cassette are you using? The 1195 weighs significantly less than the 1175. Although my bike was a mis of Red and Rival (for the long cage rear) and was just fine.

I need to do it again. Just hard from a family timing/vacation standpoint. I mixed it in with family vacation those years and need to make that work again.

John H.
06-22-2018, 10:24 PM
I agree with Andy on the bike- I would ditch the dropper and put a light carbon post.
King cages are your friend offroad.
I would consider less tire unless you are worried about flats. Can still stay big but I would look at Maxxis Ramblers or Donnelley MSO 700x40-

Endurance gravel races are about 2 things-
1.) having a clean run
Making sure bike is in perfect running order-

Being lucky enough not to flat or crash.

Being able to do quick flat repairs if you do have bad luck (have dynaplugs, quickfils, pump, duct tape, extra chain link, good multi tool, etc.

2.) Managing resources
Staying with the fast guys early makes sense- If you have good race legs from road events and don't spend time above threshold.

Once you get to the climb it is best to settle into a sub threshold pace- race has too much vertical to try to do 1st climb full gas. It will cost you on 2nd climb.

Same for 2nd climb- You will just do what you can do at that point.

Good idea to know the layout of feedzones and their locations on the course- Know what you want to get and how to do it quickly- this is free time.
Don't skimp- I have seen riders skip feed zones and pay for it later on- Play the long game.

Eat and drink on schedule- don't let the tank run empty on food or drink.

As far as descending and cornering- Don't get too worked up. Just execute where your ability and comfort level is- a crash or flat will cost you more than backing it off a little.

You mentioned that you are not heat acclimated? Do you have access to a dry sauna? Spending 7 days straight going to the sauna (ending 3-4 days out from the event) can help a lot with acclimation.
There is a specific protocol to follow.

Wayne77
06-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Excellent advice John & Andy - really appreciate it! Definitely considering the lighter seat post. That said I’ll definitely stick the dropper back on for my local rides...quite a few of them have some technical descents where I really enjoy the dropper. Full disclosure: I am known locally for pushing the limits of my gravel bike from time to time :-) One of these days I’ll just have to spring for a light XC mtb.

Anyone else doing Crusher this year?

I agree with Andy on the bike- I would ditch the dropper and put a light carbon post.
I would consider less tire unless you are worried about flats. Can still stay big but I would look at Maxxis Ramblers or Donnelley MSO 700x40-

1.) having a clean run

Being able to do quick flat repairs if you do have bad luck (have dynaplugs, quickfils, pump, duct tape, extra chain link, good multi tool, etc.

2.) Managing resources
Staying with the fast guys early makes sense- If you have good race legs from road events and don't spend time above threshold.

Once you get to the climb it is best to settle into a sub threshold pace- race has too much vertical to try to do 1st climb full gas. It will cost you on 2nd climb.

Good idea to know the layout of feedzones and their locations on the course- Know what you want to get and how to do it quickly- this is free time.
Don't skimp- I have seen riders skip feed zones and pay for it later on- Play the long game.

As far as descending and cornering- Don't get too worked up. Just execute where your ability and comfort level is- a crash or flat will cost you more than backing it off a little.

You mentioned that you are not heat acclimated? Do you have access to a dry sauna? Spending 7 days straight going to the sauna (ending 3-4 days out from the event) can help a lot with acclimation.

rnhood
06-23-2018, 09:09 AM
I like that Norco Seatch XR. Super nice all purpose carbon bike.

Wayne77
06-23-2018, 11:49 AM
I like that Norco Seatch XR. Super nice all purpose carbon bike.

I agree - I also love that it has 5 bottle mounts. 2 in the triangle, 1 on each fork leg, and one under the DT. Great adventure bike since it is also configure pretty well for frame bags, racks, fenders, etc. Also has a front der mount for 2X. As configured, with the Enve wheels it is a hair under 18 lbs...with a dropper post!

Its a great alternative for those that can't afford an Open U.P. It matches it feature for feature, and has a few the Open doesn't have. I think, given the spec, Norco actually had these priced a bit low ($4K for the Force1 model). They completely sold out all dealer and factory stock by April. Last I checked you couldn't get one - my lbs did a national inventory search and called Norco direct..nada. When I was in the market I was looking at getting the frame only and buying my own parts, which is what I usually do to save money.

No matter how hard I tried I could not build up the same spec, and come under the bike shop price. Usually off the rack bikes have a few questionable generic parts. Nothing on this bike is, except the stem...the bars are Easton EC70ax carbon fiber bars, the dropper is a $250 KS Lev, wheels are WTB i23 on DT350 hubs, etc. Even the cassette is a top of the line Sram XD 1180...$300 cassette. the could have easily speced the HX1150 which is a fraction of the price.

The shop owner's theory is that Norco priced it far too aggressive given the parts they included...it sold out quick and they are slow to build up inventory since the profit margin is so narrow. He's guessing the 2019 model will have a few subtle down grades. We'll see I guess.

Anyway, other less expensive alternatives to bikes like the Open UP and 3T Exploro, with similar features and tire clearance are the Ibis Hakka MX, Rodeo Labs (can't remember the model), Why Cycles R+ (ti frame), and Lynskey RG260. I'm sure there are others...I'm a big fan of this niche some describe as monster gravel. Adventure bikes that fit much bigger tires than usual - up to 2.1 650B in most cases. Overkill for most traditional gravel rides, but for those that do more single track, I think its great to be able to run 2.1 mtb tires, and of some of the 47mm WTB road plus options for a faster rolling option.

YesNdeed
06-23-2018, 05:39 PM
I’m glad to see this race get a proper thread. I’ve done it the last two years, just over 5 hours, won’t be doing it this year. Although, not until the last few days have entry transfers lasted more than a couple of hours. Hmmm, can’t say I don’t consider it.

Last year I used Schwalbe G-One 35s @ 45/50psi, zero complaints. Good balance of roll fast, tread and width. A bit minimal on the big descent, but that’s not a place to gain much, if any time. I passed all the riders on MTBs that bombed past me on the Col descent easily on the long and consistent paved descent immediately following it, sitting on my top tube, tucked in tightly.

Call me crazy, but I would even consider Specialized Roubaix 2bliss 30/32s for it. They measure to 35mm in width on my SL23 V2 rims. I’m just not convinced tread gets you much on this ride, overall. I would have, however, tried this setup throughly before committing to it if I were attending this year. It’s not hard to closely replicate the Pit, here in New Mexico.

I don’t think it could be better supported. The PBR handup in the mile or two before the Col was a godsend. And I still use the podium swag I got from 2016.

The rest of my setup was a Stevens Carbon Team frame, and SRAM Force 22, 34/46 2X, 11-32 cassette. And still I suffered on the Col...

For those of you who are doing it this year, bless your hearts.

Wayne77
06-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks John. Very helpful. I really like the dry sauna idea

1.) having a clean run

2.) Managing resources

Wayne77
06-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Excellent. I’m definitely thinking about tire selection again. I’ve heard great things about the G-ones. Seems like that 20 mile asphalt roller section near Circleville is a pretty crucial part of the race, both to stay in a fast group and conserve energy. So a fast rolling tire makes sense. I wonder how the rolling resistance of a 47mm 650B WTB Byway or Horizon, with its smooth crown, compares to something like a 700c 32 or 38mm G-one mounted on some 700c disc wheels I’m already planning on getting. Anyone have experience with both these tires?

...Definitely re-thinking the Maxxis Tread light I have up front currently. That decision was driven mostly by the Col descent where I got dropped by some faster guys. Trying to catch up I almost lost it on 2 of the switch back corners. But to the point a few of you have made, that descent probably isn’t going to make or break someone’s race

I’m glad to see this race get a proper thread. I’ve done it the last two years, just over 5 hours, won’t be doing it this year. Although, not until the last few days have entry transfers lasted more than a couple of hours. Hmmm, can’t say I don’t consider it.

Last year I used Schwalbe G-One 35s @ 45/50psi, zero complaints. Good balance of roll fast, tread and width. A bit minimal on the big descent, but that’s not a place to gain much, if any time. I passed all the riders on MTBs that bombed past me on the Col descent easily on the long and consistent paved descent immediately following it, sitting on my top tube, tucked in tightly.

Call me crazy, but I would even consider Specialized Roubaix 2bliss 30/32s for it. They measure to 35mm in width on my SL23 V2 rims. I’m just not convinced tread gets you much on this ride, overall. I would have, however, tried this setup throughly before committing to it if I were attending this year. It’s not hard to closely replicate the Pit, here in New Mexico.

I don’t think it could be better supported. The PBR handup in the mile or two before the Col was a godsend. And I still use the podium swag I got from 2016.

The rest of my setup was a Stevens Carbon Team frame, and SRAM Force 22, 34/46 2X, 11-32 cassette. And still I suffered on the Col...

For those of you who are doing it this year, bless your hearts.

Heisenberg
06-25-2018, 11:13 PM
I've posted a top-10 overall (men) at the Crusher before. It's a bitch. And amazing. Far more difficult than it looks on paper. Burke is a sick mother****er. (ps, hi burke, <3)

I did it on a random ****ty open-mold CX frame that I stole from the Backcountry warehouse with 36x46/11-28 gearing and mechanical disc brakes. And maybe 34mm Maxxis Raze rubbers? The CDC descent is fast and sketch AF. Advise leg-out, don't go off the edge. Rock a high-vol tire, don't worry about knobs. I'd do it again on a WTB whatever or a Compass Switchback Pass. The Sarlacc Pit is lit (just keep pedaling, think big gears). Take all the handups. It's one of the few races I've done where I had the visceral urge to cry (even more than that race in Trinidad when I got the amoeba).

If you can manage it, do some altitude sleeping prior. It'll be more valuable than looking at really old ballsacks in a sweatlodge. That ride is high. Really high. It's only that hot for like...60%.

Seriously, one of the most underrated events in the world.

vqdriver
06-26-2018, 11:56 AM
i've not done anything like this, but any reason not to run tubeless in this scenario? other than stopping flats it'll allow you to drop a few psi for traction

fwiw, i'd keep the dropper. confidence in the sketch is key

Trippertim
06-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Some back of the pack perspective :bike:

I did the race in 2016 for the first time and loved it (ok, a few weeks after the pain and suffering of race day I decided it was fun). Coming from east of the Mississippi at around 700’ of elevation, the altitude at Tushars was a major factor. We stayed at Eagle Point leading up to the race and the first day there, I was having a hard time walking the trails around the lodge. I still loved the race enough to come back again this year.

I think training has gone better and fitness is better, but we’ll see how it goes on race day. I have no hope of being remotely close to any of the podium racers, but for me gravel racing is about having one day / event to bury myself against the clock (I won’t rehash the now popular spirit of gravel racing conversations / posts :)) and the excuse to do a lot of awesome training rides. One difference though for me on the training side, is that I’ve also added in some Intermittent Hypoxic Exposure this time to see if that helps at all with the altitude. I don’t think it really does that much for me for performance at sea level, but with what I read, it gives me hope that it will at least help some with the acclimation to altitude. We’ll see on the 14th.

As far as gear, I’ll be on the same bike as last time, which is a Litespeed T5G (I love Ti). I run a Cirrus Cycles body float kinekt seat post. I know it is heavy, but the comfort on the long days is enough that it is one of the few pieces of extra weight I’m willing to carry up 10,000’. The changes this year are I moved from the 33mm Gravel King SK’s to 38mm SK’s front and rear (still tubeless). The section between the first and second aid station was decently rough and the Col descent can be washboarded, and the Sarlacc Pitt can be pretty rough, so I want a little more volume. I used a 50/34 – 11-36 11spd gearing set up in ‘16 and was able to make it up Col d Crush with no walking last time, but I’m switching to an 11-40 MTB cassette this time (Ultegra GS der with Roadlink) so that I can keep a higher cadence going up this time (still won’t be remotely close to ‘spinning’). The other change for me this time is I wore a camelback and carried my own nutrition last time (custom Infinit mix), but this time I analyzed my times between aid stations and really like the EFS they have on course, so I’m going with just two frame cages and bottles and plan on picking up an extra bottle in the jersey pocket for the hot ride through the valley and the Sarlacc pit. Only thing I am slightly disappointed in, is that I'm pretty confident that last time there was a aid station in Circleville so a little farther removed from Aid 2 and from the big descent where I probably will have too much of a grip on the bars to be drinking too much and after the hot ride into the headwind through the valley and before the Sarlacc Pit, but that station is not on the map now, so it is what it is. I'll make sure to dump some water on me in Junction, make sure I have 3 full bottles and head off to #4.

One more thing of note, is several posts above mentioned the timing of their group waves. This year, the race is going to be a mass start all at 8:00. It will be more crowded at first, but I’ll start towards the back and let all the rockets get going ahead of me, and see if I can hang on to the back of a train for a while. But at least it will give me a few more minutes to make the cut off at Aid 2! Those of us at the back need every minute we can get :eek:

**Guess I should have checked the Crusher FB page before I hit post on that last part! Just posted in the last hour, that they are going to switch back and stick with the wave starts! Luckily the two years has moved me into a earlier wave (if they keep the same AG splits) so I at least get a couple more minutes than last time to hit the cut off :banana:

Good luck out there everybody!

pdmtong
06-29-2018, 01:23 AM
I've really appreciated the nuance and insight in this thread. On top of that a refreshing read about really riding...in contrast to they myriad of OT and near OT the forum seems to have embraced.

while I will never do this race, there is still a lot to learn on the shoulders of others to inform the riding that I do.

Wayne77
06-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Great perspective! I have several takeaways to think about based on this and all the other excellent contributions in this thread. I think you’re touching one one aspect of competitive gravel racing (and gravel riding in general): So much is about the tiniest equipment details...you can really obsess over the tiniest config choices and I get a kick out of it. Much more that I do for road races. The interesting thing is sometimes it’s a matter of thinking about all the minutia as a ‘sum of the whole’. Every choice has an upside and a down side...together they form a very individualized selection that makes sense. Oftentimes for that one person. There are also certain tiny details that are probably more placebo than real benefit...and that’s totally legit too; if it’s in your head something is gonna help, it probably will. If it’s in your head something is gonna hurt, it probably will.

I love talking to people at the start line about their equipment...there’s a certain prideful confidence people get when explaining choices. Sometimes you have these conversations mid-race!

Some back of the pack perspective :bike:

I did the race in 2016 for the first time and loved it (ok, a few weeks after the pain and suffering of race day I decided it was fun). Coming from east of the Mississippi at around 700’ of elevation, the altitude at Tushars was a major factor. We stayed at Eagle Point leading up to the race and the first day there, I was having a hard time walking the trails around the lodge. I still loved the race enough to come back again this year.

I think training has gone better and fitness is better, but we’ll see how it goes on race day. I have no hope of being remotely close to any of the podium racers, but for me gravel racing is about having one day / event to bury myself against the clock (I won’t rehash the now popular spirit of gravel racing conversations / posts :)) and the excuse to do a lot of awesome training rides. One difference though for me on the training side, is that I’ve also added in some Intermittent Hypoxic Exposure this time to see if that helps at all with the altitude. I don’t think it really does that much for me for performance at sea level, but with what I read, it gives me hope that it will at least help some with the acclimation to altitude. We’ll see on the 14th.

As far as gear, I’ll be on the same bike as last time, which is a Litespeed T5G (I love Ti). I run a Cirrus Cycles body float kinekt seat post. I know it is heavy, but the comfort on the long days is enough that it is one of the few pieces of extra weight I’m willing to carry up 10,000’. The changes this year are I moved from the 33mm Gravel King SK’s to 38mm SK’s front and rear (still tubeless). The section between the first and second aid station was decently rough and the Col descent can be washboarded, and the Sarlacc Pitt can be pretty rough, so I want a little more volume. I used a 50/34 – 11-36 11spd gearing set up in ‘16 and was able to make it up Col d Crush with no walking last time, but I’m switching to an 11-40 MTB cassette this time (Ultegra GS der with Roadlink) so that I can keep a higher cadence going up this time (still won’t be remotely close to ‘spinning’). The other change for me this time is I wore a camelback and carried my own nutrition last time (custom Infinit mix), but this time I analyzed my times between aid stations and really like the EFS they have on course, so I’m going with just two frame cages and bottles and plan on picking up an extra bottle in the jersey pocket for the hot ride through the valley and the Sarlacc pit. Only thing I am slightly disappointed in, is that I'm pretty confident that last time there was a aid station in Circleville so a little farther removed from Aid 2 and from the big descent where I probably will have too much of a grip on the bars to be drinking too much and after the hot ride into the headwind through the valley and before the Sarlacc Pit, but that station is not on the map now, so it is what it is. I'll make sure to dump some water on me in Junction, make sure I have 3 full bottles and head off to #4.

One more thing of note, is several posts above mentioned the timing of their group waves. This year, the race is going to be a mass start all at 8:00. It will be more crowded at first, but I’ll start towards the back and let all the rockets get going ahead of me, and see if I can hang on to the back of a train for a while. But at least it will give me a few more minutes to make the cut off at Aid 2! Those of us at the back need every minute we can get :eek:

**Guess I should have checked the Crusher FB page before I hit post on that last part! Just posted in the last hour, that they are going to switch back and stick with the wave starts! Luckily the two years has moved me into a earlier wave (if they keep the same AG splits) so I at least get a couple more minutes than last time to hit the cut off :banana:

Good luck out there everybody!

Wayne77
06-29-2018, 08:33 AM
I've really appreciated the nuance and insight in this thread. On top of that a refreshing read about really riding...in contrast to they myriad of OT and near OT the forum seems to have embraced.

while I will never do this race, there is still a lot to learn on the shoulders of others to inform the riding that I do.

:beer:

Much of what I know about biking (still small compared to most) is based on what I’ve gained from this forum. I’ve also learned some great stuff from the OT stuff too :-)

John H.
06-29-2018, 09:40 AM
What you say about gear is true- It can matter to the Nth degree.

Another thing that I know about gravel racing is that no matter what your gear is there will be a point in time during the race where you will think "I am on the wrong gear (or bike)".

Wayne77
06-29-2018, 11:22 AM
What you say about gear is true- It can matter to the Nth degree.

Another thing that I know about gravel racing is that no matter what your gear is there will be a point in time during the race where you will think "I am on the wrong gear (or bike)".

Amen to that.

"Welcome to the Crusher! The only race in the world that let’s you choose your weapon with only one guarantee… at some point you’ll be very, very wrong."

-Bruce ” The Hornet” Bilodeau

From the "Which bike? (http://tusharcrusher.com/which-bike)" section of the Crusher website

Trippertim
06-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Great perspective! I have several takeaways to think about based on this and all the other excellent contributions in this thread. I think you’re touching one one aspect of competitive gravel racing (and gravel riding in general): So much is about the tiniest equipment details...you can really obsess over the tiniest config choices and I get a kick out of it. Much more that I do for road races. The interesting thing is sometimes it’s a matter of thinking about all the minutia as a ‘sum of the whole’. Every choice has an upside and a down side...together they form a very individualized selection that makes sense. Oftentimes for that one person. There are also certain tiny details that are probably more placebo than real benefit...and that’s totally legit too; if it’s in your head something is gonna help, it probably will. If it’s in your head something is gonna hurt, it probably will.

I love talking to people at the start line about their equipment...there’s a certain prideful confidence people get when explaining choices. Sometimes you have these conversations mid-race!

Yep, I love to agonize over the smallest equipment choices, so events of this genre where the demands of the course change constantly and can vary year to year, really appeal to me. Love over analyzing stuff to the point of analysis paralysis :eek:

That said, while there have been times where I have optimized the stuff on my bike, and I knew at certain points of race courses that other bikes might be faster on that section, I "knew" in other sections they would be slower, so on the whole, the only time I thought I was "on the wrong bike" was when I decided to ride my 29er instead of my Litespeed T5G was at a race earlier this year and it turned out to not have rained as much as I had thought and there were only a few muddy spots. :)

YesNdeed
07-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Ride reports, please!
I already know that one of you stood on the podium with a good friend and teammate of mine in the 45-49 category. Congrats, and great job!
Sounds like conditions were good this year. High five to all who endeavored upon one of the best rides of the year!

Wayne77
07-16-2018, 01:54 AM
Ride reports, please!
I already know that one of you stood on the podium with a good friend and teammate of mine in the 45-49 category. Congrats, and great job!
Sounds like conditions were good this year. High five to all who endeavored upon one of the best rides of the year!

Yeah, the wet weather this year was a nice change! I was prepared for the typical 95-100 degree slog through Sarlac and up the KOM. Anyway, I’ll post some additional thoughts when I get back from a trip I’m leaving for tomorrow morning, but my race was a success in that I knocked off 8 minutes from my prior PR, but I was really hoping to crack 5.5 hours and didn’t manage to (5:47). I ended up 33rd place out of 100 or so in the 45-49 category...meh, but I’ll take it. It’s hard enough just to finish this race I guess. 10,000 feet of climbing in under 70 miles..some good gravel, some pretty rough. I do have some post race thoughts on equipment and tires I’ll post later. Who was your pal on the podium? Tell him congrats!

I’ll be back next year. I love this race.

nobuseri
07-16-2018, 02:11 AM
Nice work, man. Props for finishing.

YesNdeed
07-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Great job, Wayne! You put in a solid ride that you should be proud of. That is one of, if not the fastest group outside of the Pro/Open category. My friend said there was some light rain, so figured that meant a passing spritz. He’s Chris, he got 2nd with hair raising 4:51!

I will look forward to hearing your post ride thoughts on equipment and such. That is one aspect that makes this race such an interesting equation.

So, you doing Mt. Evans this Saturday?? If so, I’ll see you there!

Yeah, the wet weather this year was a nice change! I was prepared for the typical 95-100 degree slog through Sarlac and up the KOM. Anyway, I’ll post some additional thoughts when I get back from a trip I’m leaving for tomorrow morning, but my race was a success in that I knocked off 8 minutes from my prior PR, but I was really hoping to crack 5.5 hours and didn’t manage to (5:47). I ended up 33rd place out of 100 or so in the 45-49 category...meh, but I’ll take it. It’s hard enough just to finish this race I guess. 10,000 feet of climbing in under 70 miles..some good gravel, some pretty rough. I do have some post race thoughts on equipment and tires I’ll post later. Who was your pal on the podium? Tell him congrats!

I’ll be back next year. I love this race.

Trippertim
07-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Ride reports, please!

Back of the pack(ish) report here. This was my 2nd time doing the Crusher and I really appreciated the cooler temps. It rained a light drizzle for a good part of the first few hours for me, but I got out from under it by the 2nd aid station and the descent down to Junction. The rain on race morning was not an issue, but the effects of the rain the last few afternoons were noticeable. I think the rough section along the top between Aid 1 and 2 was a little worse for me this time. With several hundred sets of tires running the road already and loosening up the mud, it seemed the choices of lines were reduced in a lot of spots to either riding over all the rough exposed rocks, or in the somewhat slick ruts between them. It was certainly not as bad as some of the peanut butter mud I have raced on in GA or the quagmires of Hilly Billy Roubaix in WV, but still had to pay attention.

The rain cleared up for me for the descent into junction and the road was in pretty good shape. Not much washboard and the corners were not too loose. Only really interesting part was the small herd of cows that decided to cross the road about 1/3 of the way down and the one cow that got spooked by us and decided to not cross, then jump back out of the scrub 50 ft down the road and then run ahead of me at full speed for a few hundred yards. It finally decided to just go straight off the road at full speed at the next turn. It was the only time in my riding life where I have been concerned about the wellbeing of a cow! I could not tell as I went around the corner how steep the drop off was that the cow had just barreled off of and was picturing in my mind the old buffalo stampede off a cliff! I looked at the curve on the way back up and the drop off was not too bad, and I didn’t see any buzzards circling, so I’m optimistic the cow is ok :eek:

Not having 100°F temps in the valley was nice, but the Sarlacc Pit is still just a soul sucking hellhole. With the other climbs (especially the Col d Crush and the finish), you expect it to hurt and to be crawling, but for some reason the Sarlacc Pit always seems like you are going slower than you should be. The climb back up the Col d Crush was as painful as always. It was pretty dry, so had to pay attention when you stood up to stretch the legs that you didn’t slip out, but not too bad and at least it wasn't too hot (but still warm enough that I had the kids at the KOM dump cold water on my head and back).

Shortly after Aid 5 after the Col, the afternoon monsoon season storms rolled in again. As advised by the race organizers, I had carried a light gore-tex vest and stopped to put it on when it started raining. Shortly after that, there was a brief period of hail, but I’ve been in worse and nothing you could do about it at that point and the thunder/lightning sounded to still be off in the distance, so just kept on going. The last gravel descent was in much better shape than 2 years ago. They had just laid a lot of fresh gravel in ’16 and I had to be really careful on 32mm tires. This time it was packed enough that the guy I was near and I were able to pass the chain of cars being caravanned through by the local Sheriff.

The final climb was as soul sucking as always, but there were enough finishers riding down giving encouragement, that it went faster than I thought. Finished ~50 min faster than ’16, but I think a lot was due to the better course conditions. Afterwards, I met the wife, grabbed a bite to eat and a beer and headed back down to our condo at Eagle Point. This is when the real storms and hail hit. I just made it to the condo by the time the hail really dumped down, but the wife was still walking and quite a few people were still headed up. I’m sure they got hammered pretty bad.

Overall, it was as the race organizer puts it, the best worst day or the worst best day. Lots of pain, but that is what we sign up and pay $ for. Scenery is amazing, course is hard, packet pickup was quick and efficient, aid stations and the volunteers were great, course markings were in all the necessary places and visible, and as they stated, the course was not “over marked” with caution signs, there were lots of people out even in the remote sections cheering you on (enjoyed several scout troops lined up giving high fives on climbs), and good law enforcement presence. Even the town is supper friendly. My wife went for a run around Beaver after the start and was pretty confident every single person she saw waved at her and/or told her good morning. I just can’t recommend this race enough. Definitely worth the trip from TN or anywhere else.

sandyrs
07-18-2018, 01:01 PM
This thread is really selling me on this race. With my upcoming move to Colorado I won't be too far from it, so maybe I'll make the trip next year or the year after. It's nice to read about a gravel race that delivers on the hype. I'm coming from the region where the biggest gravel race is probably Rasputitsa, which claims to be the hardest gravel race in America but, last time I did it, was 38 miles and took under 3 hours even with snow still on the ground.

Trippertim
07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
This thread is really selling me on this race. With my upcoming move to Colorado I won't be too far from it, so maybe I'll make the trip next year or the year after. It's nice to read about a gravel race that delivers on the hype. I'm coming from the region where the biggest gravel race is probably Rasputitsa, which claims to be the hardest gravel race in America but, last time I did it, was 38 miles and took under 3 hours even with snow still on the ground.

There is nothing really technical about the riding at Tushar (just don't over cook a turn and go over the edge on the Col d'Crush descent) like the snow and slop could make Rasputitsa, but the climbing makes up for it and for someone that lives under 1000' elevation, the height really impacts the effort.

sandyrs
07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
There is nothing really technical about the riding at Tushar (just don't over cook a turn and go over the edge on the Col d'Crush descent) like the snow and slop could make Rasputitsa, but the climbing makes up for it and for someone that lives under 1000' elevation, the height really impacts the effort.

That makes sense. For me the tradeoff between the logistics of getting to an event and the length/price/effort/novelty of the event is always top of mind, and the Crusher sounds like a hard race in a really cool setting. Of course, I suppose one could say the same of Rasputitsa if they didn't live in New England and have the ability to drive to Vermont for a weekend (or even better, live there full time) so it's all about perspective :)

Congrats on your finish!

Wayne77
07-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the race report! I am back from my trip now so here's my report. This isn't really chronological...just some random experiences. I haven't checked for grammar or spelling...so I'm sure there's some stuff that may take a moment to figure out ;-)

As mentioned, I did the 45-49 category and agree that's a fast group! I placed 33rd. Last year in the 40-44 category I placed something like 27th but this years time was about 15 minutes faster. So that points to this group being a bit faster...at least this year. I haven't checked the comparative times in this year's 40-44 group yet.

In any case, my experiences definitely were consistent with Trippertim's below in terms of weather/road conditions throughout the race. I was glad to finish before the pouring rain that hit the mountains about an hour after I finished. Huge respect for those that had to ride through that and continued to push through to the finish. I watched those folks roll in...yeah, slower times but hard core effort to push through that. Major props.

I really like the wet conditions throughout the race. Such a refreshing change from the last two years' very hot/dry/dusty conditions. Interestingly, I wasn't much faster through Sarlac. I had based a lot of my training this year on the assumption that the brutal heat last year on the Sarlac road really slowed me down. So I did a lot more training in the heat so it wouldn't be as much of a shock to the system. My time up the KOM/Col de Crush was much faster however.

I was able to hang with the faster break away group of around 15-20 people until about 1/3 of the way up the first climb (a very long climb winding through beautiful alpine scenery). Then I decided to back off a hair when they ramped up the pace to a point where I was riding above my FTP threshold. My times up the first climb were faster than last year as well so I was happy about that.

This race had a Spring Classics feel. I did the Tour of Flanders Sportiv last year, which was also VERY wet and muddy, especially the cobbled sections. This felt very similar, only substitute wet washboard for cobbles. I ride in cool & wet conditions a lot and really enjoy it...I do much better in the cold than I do when it is crazy hot.

Mixed feelings about my equipment choices: I removed my dropper post and didn't really miss it. As much as I enjoyed having it for some of the more technical single track I do in the winter & spring around here, there is really only a brief period where it would help - descending the Col de Crush. This year I raced a fat tire up front - a Schwalbe 650B 2.1" Thunder Burt (relative to other 2.1' tires that one is rated as very fast rolling). For the rear I used a Schwalbe G-one 38mm tire...also quite fast rolling. I didn't feel I was having to put in additional effort relative to my colleagues in the pace line during the asphalt stretch leading into Sarlac. I had no problem taking long pulls at the front and not feeling like I was slowing things down. I was happy about that, but it makes me wonder if I would have been even faster & fresher in Sarlac if I was running the G-one front and rear. Possibly a missed opportunity. The reason I ran the 2.1' up front is that I think I was overly focused/paranoid about the Col de Crush descent with its very steep and loose switch backs. HOWEVER, when I was descending that there were a lot of people on narrower 700c cyclocross tires that flew by me. So now I am questioning that decision.

650B vs 700c on washboard: I am also re-thinking my 650B choice a bit (I'm going to do a separate post about this). For washboard, is a 700c wheel, with the larger diameter, better than 650B? Even if the 650B has a fatter tire? Last year I was on a 700c wheel with a 45mm WTB Riddler. That combo has a larger diameter even than a 650B wheel with a 2.1" tire. A 700c wheel with a 45mm tire can feel a little wagon-wheelish (hence the reason so many people love 650B Road-plus), but I wonder if a 700c with a 38-45mm tire would actually be better for this race? Especially since there is a lot of washboard and maybe that choice would roll better on the asphalt than a 650B with a higher volume tire. Hmmm.

I was SOOO glad to have good cages this year. No issues ejecting bottles.

No matter the conditions, climbing the KOM is always a brutal experience. That said, about halfway up a tandem comes rolling next to me; a guy with a pony tail and lots of tattoos up front and a lady as the stocker (perhaps his significant other). They were crazy strong. At one point she sat up while he was still churning away and was casually taking photos. It was humiliating and so cool at the same time :-)

As usual I felt super strong on the section from the top of the KOM until the asphalt section leading to the finish. I love that part of the race...I hammered it and felt great. I paid the price however on the last few miles of steep asphalt into the finish. I lost about 5 places in the results because of that.

I LOVE the spirit and energy about this race. There is really something special about it that I can't quite put a finger on. Burke Swindlehurst knows how to put on an event and his personality is stamped all over it. The start and finish line PA dialogue is amazing and funny and hard core. Those guys are just amazing.

The day before I pre-rode a few sections with a friend from San Francisco who had never done it. Dude trained all year at about 50 feet above sea level for a race at 9000 feet above sea level. I always gave him a hard time telling him that was interesting training decision. He suffered big time during the race, but still managed to finish in 7 hours. This was his first year racing after turning his life around from being overweight and out of shape. I worked with him a lot to motivate him in getting his health under control and put in lots of hard work in the saddle. It was amazing to see the transformation! Anyway, we met Burke's brother, one of the other organizers (forget his name), and some other cool guys doing some set up on the course. We ran into them at the top of the KOM and chatted for quite a while. They were sincerely happy when I complimented them about the race and how special it was. They almost acted humbled and delighted to hear that. Almost like it was a new event. So cool they were that humble about it. Burke's brother wasn't racing it...I don't think he had but the guy is built like a pro. Totally looks like he'd kill it.

At the finish, once the rain FINALLY stopped I rode down to Beaver with my friend. Its a long fast descent but GORGEOUS. I commented that it almost felt like desert after the a long day in the saddle. Within minutes of that comment Mother Nature unleashed hell upon us. It was the hardest rain I've ever ridden in. I couldn't see 10 feet and almost had to stop so I wouldn't run off the road. Crazy.

In all, it was a special experience and I will absolutely come back for more. I'll do this race every year until I can no longer get on a bike. I love it!

Back of the pack(ish) report here. This was my 2nd time doing the Crusher and I really appreciated the cooler temps. It rained a light drizzle for a good part of the first few hours for me, but I got out from under it by the 2nd aid station and the descent down to Junction. The rain on race morning was not an issue, but the effects of the rain the last few afternoons were noticeable. I think the rough section along the top between Aid 1 and 2 was a little worse for me this time. With several hundred sets of tires running the road already and loosening up the mud, it seemed the choices of lines were reduced in a lot of spots to either riding over all the rough exposed rocks, or in the somewhat slick ruts between them. It was certainly not as bad as some of the peanut butter mud I have raced on in GA or the quagmires of Hilly Billy Roubaix in WV, but still had to pay attention.

The rain cleared up for me for the descent into junction and the road was in pretty good shape. Not much washboard and the corners were not too loose. Only really interesting part was the small herd of cows that decided to cross the road about 1/3 of the way down and the one cow that got spooked by us and decided to not cross, then jump back out of the scrub 50 ft down the road and then run ahead of me at full speed for a few hundred yards. It finally decided to just go straight off the road at full speed at the next turn. It was the only time in my riding life where I have been concerned about the wellbeing of a cow! I could not tell as I went around the corner how steep the drop off was that the cow had just barreled off of and was picturing in my mind the old buffalo stampede off a cliff! I looked at the curve on the way back up and the drop off was not too bad, and I didn’t see any buzzards circling, so I’m optimistic the cow is ok :eek:

Not having 100°F temps in the valley was nice, but the Sarlacc Pit is still just a soul sucking hellhole. With the other climbs (especially the Col d Crush and the finish), you expect it to hurt and to be crawling, but for some reason the Sarlacc Pit always seems like you are going slower than you should be. The climb back up the Col d Crush was as painful as always. It was pretty dry, so had to pay attention when you stood up to stretch the legs that you didn’t slip out, but not too bad and at least it wasn't too hot (but still warm enough that I had the kids at the KOM dump cold water on my head and back).

Shortly after Aid 5 after the Col, the afternoon monsoon season storms rolled in again. As advised by the race organizers, I had carried a light gore-tex vest and stopped to put it on when it started raining. Shortly after that, there was a brief period of hail, but I’ve been in worse and nothing you could do about it at that point and the thunder/lightning sounded to still be off in the distance, so just kept on going. The last gravel descent was in much better shape than 2 years ago. They had just laid a lot of fresh gravel in ’16 and I had to be really careful on 32mm tires. This time it was packed enough that the guy I was near and I were able to pass the chain of cars being caravanned through by the local Sheriff.

The final climb was as soul sucking as always, but there were enough finishers riding down giving encouragement, that it went faster than I thought. Finished ~50 min faster than ’16, but I think a lot was due to the better course conditions. Afterwards, I met the wife, grabbed a bite to eat and a beer and headed back down to our condo at Eagle Point. This is when the real storms and hail hit. I just made it to the condo by the time the hail really dumped down, but the wife was still walking and quite a few people were still headed up. I’m sure they got hammered pretty bad.

Overall, it was as the race organizer puts it, the best worst day or the worst best day. Lots of pain, but that is what we sign up and pay $ for. Scenery is amazing, course is hard, packet pickup was quick and efficient, aid stations and the volunteers were great, course markings were in all the necessary places and visible, and as they stated, the course was not “over marked” with caution signs, there were lots of people out even in the remote sections cheering you on (enjoyed several scout troops lined up giving high fives on climbs), and good law enforcement presence. Even the town is supper friendly. My wife went for a run around Beaver after the start and was pretty confident every single person she saw waved at her and/or told her good morning. I just can’t recommend this race enough. Definitely worth the trip from TN or anywhere else.

weisan
07-23-2018, 01:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQl2MfHBuN0

YesNdeed
07-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Great ride report! The 2017 race got some pretty heavy rain, depending on where one was placed and when. I didn't get the worst of it, I guess riding slower that year had it's rewards. But I really missed hanging out at the end, conditions spoiled the included meal and podiums, even though I missed the podium...

We stay at the tract of condos just a few feet up the hill from Eagle Point, not sure if they're also Eagle Point. That's exactly what I'll do the next time I do it, likely in 2019. Our kitchen was easily the best restaurant in town as the town of Beaver leaves a thing or two to be desired, charming as it is. And just below tree line is a great place for downtime. Beautiful mountain country, and lots of great riding if one wants to extend the trip by a day or two.

IMHO and finite wisdom, no one worked harder than my good friend and teammate, Chris Abbott, to do as well as he did. In 2016, he decided on IRC tubeless Serac Sand tires, and had a massive side wall tear at the top of the first climb(s). So big that a tire boot and tube didn't help. His race was done, and he was appropriately furious. I have kept that in mind when considering tires. For this year, he ran Schwalbe X-One speed and set his personal Crusher record by 15 minutes faster than two other non sidewall tear attempts, finishing at a very impressive 4:51. You're still the man Andy_STI! You are the real deal.

As for me, going wider in tire size (35), without a crash resulting and a very deep flesh wound to the knee on the Col descent, no stopping to help Chris with his flat (I supplied him with a C02) and better gearing 34/32 (chainring and cassette, respectively) compared to the previous year's 34/28, I still finished 12 minutes slower than in 2016 (5:09/5:21). Lack of fitness is likely to blame, but I'll be going back to a slimmer tire for next time...maybe ;)

I just got back from a Colorado trip, man I love the mountains there. My first ride above the modest climbs of New Mexico (12,047 ft.@ Tesuque Peak) to 14,100 was epic. Get yourself over to Idaho Springs and ride up Mount Evans, if you get the chance. It won't disappoint!

Andy sti
07-23-2018, 10:00 PM
Great reports and nice job to all you Crushers!

Such a fun event, that I need to get back to.