PDA

View Full Version : Campag Neutron questions

rwsaunders
06-22-2018, 02:11 PM
What would be the tubular equivalent to Neutrons in the Campag lineup? Nucleons of yesteryear? Is there a modern day equivalent? Thanks

colker
06-22-2018, 02:14 PM
What would be the tubular equivalent to Neutrons in the Campag lineup? Nucleons of yesteryear? Is there a modern day equivalent? Thanks

Hyperons. Nucleons on steroids.

thwart
06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Well... I have a set of Campy Neutron tubulars...

Found 'em on eBay.

The thing about tubular wheels is occasionally folks buy 'em and then decide against the 'inconvenience' of tubulars. So they can be in mint shape and sold at a big discount.

Current Campy options instead... ? Geez, Hyperons are kinda pricey and are obviously not alloy. Custom wheels may be the best answer.

colker
06-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Well... I have a set of Campy Neutron tubulars...

Found 'em on eBay.

The thing about tubular wheels is occasionally folks buy 'em and then decide against the 'inconvenience' of tubulars. So they can be in mint shape and sold at a big discount.

Current Campy options instead... ? Geez, Hyperons are kinda pricey and are obviously not alloy. Custom wheels may be the best answer.

I thought of looking for a custom nucleon... but i don´t know if it could be done.-

thwart
06-22-2018, 03:04 PM
I thought of looking for a custom nucleon... but i don´t know if it could be done.-

One never knows... but proprietary rims with hole counts that are 'unusual' make it tough.

Then again, I was just looking at those Helium/DT 240's in the classifieds...

VC Slim
06-22-2018, 03:19 PM

For a while Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's were a good option but are alas no longer available.
They only came in gold when first out. I committed to NOS Neutron/Nucleons by the time they were finally offered in black.

saab2000
06-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Nucleons were the predecessor of the Neutron. They're crazy good wheels IMHO but I ride them less these days. The main difference AFAIK is that the spokes on the Nucleons were polished stainless instead of black spokes.

There really isn't a modern equivalent in their lineup as far as I'm aware and I'm going more with hand built wheels these days because they are more serviceable and with the offset Pacenti rims I can get nearly the same feel as the Nucleons.

Running my best hand built wheels with wide rims and 23mm tires that spread out is as close to a tubular as I can imagine. I doubt I could tell the difference if I didn't know the difference. This is the reason my tubular usage is in rapid decline.

colker
06-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Nucleons were the predecessor of the Neutron. They're crazy good wheels IMHO but I ride them less these days. The main difference AFAIK is that the spokes on the Nucleons were polished stainless instead of black spokes.

There really isn't a modern equivalent in their lineup as far as I'm aware and I'm going more with hand built wheels these days because they are more serviceable and with the offset Pacenti rims I can get nearly the same feel as the Nucleons.

Running my best hand built wheels with wide rims and 23mm tires that spread out is as close to a tubular as I can imagine. I doubt I could tell the difference if I didn't know the difference. This is the reason my tubular usage is in rapid decline.

Tubeless?

saab2000
06-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Tubeless?

Not ready for them yet in road use. I use Michelin inner tubes and Vittoria Open CX tides.

colker
06-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Not ready for them yet in road use. I use Michelin inner tubes and Vittoria Open CX tides.

Would tubular tires be more resistant against "losing air when perforated by a sharp object"?

saab2000
06-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Would tubular tires be more resistant against "losing air when perforated by a sharp object"?

Not if they’re actually punctured. I did find when I rode tubular tires more that I flatted less. But I’m not terribly flat prone anyway. Now that I’ve said that I’m guaranteed to puncture next time I ride.

colker
06-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Not if they’re actually punctured. I did find when I rode tubular tires more that I flatted less. But I’m not terribly flat prone anyway. Now that I’ve said that I’m guaranteed to puncture next time I ride.

Sorry to have brought this up.:help:

FlashUNC
06-22-2018, 04:21 PM

Its one of the reasons I go back and forth on parting with my Hyperons.

saab2000
06-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Its one of the reasons I go back and forth on parting with my Hyperons.

I hear ya..... I always wish I had owned some Hyperons.

colker
06-22-2018, 04:25 PM
I hear ya..... I always wish I had owned some Hyperons.

NOt to mention it´s the name of a great poetry book.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2018, 08:42 PM

They would if you put sealant in them, as I do(orange seal)...

rwsaunders
06-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the insight folks. Looks like I might be seeking a trade for some Nucleon tubulars. I’ll be sure and post a WTT/WTB in the classifieds if I go that route.