PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel not spinning smooth when mounted

p nut
06-22-2018, 10:14 AM
I got my first road bike with thru axles. It's used but seems to be in great condition. However, when I spin the rear wheel, it doesn't spin freely. Almost like the brake (disc) was rubbing. I checked the brakes and it's good. So I thought it may be the bearings, which I thought was odd considering the age and mileage. So I took it out and holding it in my hand, it spins for days. Mounted back up, it's binding. Any idea what I need to check for?

The rear hub is a Cannondale hub, I think made by Formula.

TIA

Mark McM
06-22-2018, 10:25 AM
So I took it out and holding it in my hand, it spins for days. Mounted back up, it's binding. Any idea what I need to check for?

It could still be the bearings. Tightening the through axle adds pre-load to the bearings, so it could spin freely without the pre-load, and then bind with the pre-load. To test this out, try installing the wheel with the axle loose, and then slowly tighten the axle to see if the bearings start binding. If this is the case, look to see if there is a way to adjust the bearings on your hub.

p nut
06-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Ok, will try that. Thanks for the input. If it's like any other formula hub, I think it's a lock nut adjustment that needs to be made.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2018, 11:16 AM
It could still be the bearings. Tightening the through axle adds pre-load to the bearings, so it could spin freely without the pre-load, and then bind with the pre-load. To test this out, try installing the wheel with the axle loose, and then slowly tighten the axle to see if the bearings start binding. If this is the case, look to see if there is a way to adjust the bearings on your hub.

What he said..hub should have a teeny-tiny bit of play and when ya install, play goes away and no bindage