PDA

View Full Version : How do people sell cars these day? WARNING BMW E30 content!

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 09:07 AM
I have an old E30 BMW that I've had for about 15 years now. I seriously love this car. So much that about 6 years ago, I had the original motor professionally swapped out with a rebuilt E36 M3 motor. but when I move to Boston from Long Island, I stopped enjoying "going out for a drive". I thought id never consider selling it, but I think its time.

How do people do this nowadays? Back when I bought this car, people were still using Autotrader :) I am assuming Craigslist replaced this.

v531xc
06-22-2018, 09:10 AM
There's definitely E30 forums, much like this one used to be for Serottas, where people post classifieds of their e30s and related cars. Autotrader is still used, but less-so for used cars with niche markets and moreso by dealers. Craigslist works, but you'll have some weirdos for sure.

Good luck! Letting go of a car you like is definitely tough.

mktng
06-22-2018, 09:11 AM
have you tried the classified section here? :)
E30's are quite sought after in the car community.

Craigslist seems like the goto.

p nut
06-22-2018, 09:13 AM
I had a '90 325is back in the day. Such a fun car and becoming rare (clean examples, anyway). Whether craigslist, forums, Autotrader, cargurus, etc., you won't have a hard time selling that car.

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 09:16 AM
have you tried the classified section here? :)
E30's are quite sought after in the car community.

Craigslist seems like the goto.

I wasnt sure if non-bike items were against the rules. ;)

azrider
06-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Best advice I can give is to prepare yourself mentally for the onslaught of idiots, deadbeats, and now AI computer programs that come with selling a car these days.

I just recently sold a 2014 Prius V and had it listed on Craigslist, OfferUp, and Facebook Marketplace. It ultimately ended up selling from the CL ad but it was a challenge to filter through low ballers, tire kickers, and CHAT BOTS. These AI computer programs are written for particular car, make, model and then you're inundated with texts or calls only to have a computer on the other end saying "please call me so we can help you sell your car." :mad:

I would NOT recommend selling on Cars.com. I am still getting chat bot emails and texts asking about the car.

Also, on Craigslist, I would put in all capitals "I DO NOT NEED HELP SELLING". This will help keep small mom and pop car lots and finance companies from calling pestering you.

Good luck!

stien
06-22-2018, 09:22 AM
I mean... what are you asking? Sounds tasty. Post pics!

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Best advice I can give is to prepare yourself mentally for the onslaught of idiots, deadbeats, and now AI computer programs that come with selling a car these days.

I just recently sold a 2014 Prius V and had it listed on Craigslist, OfferUp, and Facebook Marketplace. It ultimately ended up selling from the CL ad but it was a challenge to filter through low ballers, tire kickers, and CHAT BOTS. These AI computer programs are written for particular car, make, model and then you're inundated with texts or calls only to have a computer on the other end saying "please call me so we can help you sell your car." :mad:

I would NOT recommend selling on Cars.com. I am still getting chat bot emails and texts asking about the car.

Also, on Craigslist, I would put in all capitals "I DO NOT NEED HELP SELLING". This will help keep small mom and pop car lots and finance companies from calling pestering you.

Good luck!

Good call with that! I would have never thought about this.

I mean... what are you asking? Sounds tasty. Post pics!

Still thinking about the price, but it wont be cheap. I have done a ton of work to it in the past 5 years with the swap and all. It was estimated by an E30 shop at $10k

This is how it looks today

https://i.imgur.com/blTnFGO.jpg

This is from about 8 years ago. Bike rack included :)

https://i.imgur.com/282Qqkm.jpg

mktng
06-22-2018, 09:44 AM
:eek:

want a 58 cm Moots ?

:)

i'd keep it.
you put good work into it.
these are harder to find in nice condition/not abused

FastforaSlowGuy
06-22-2018, 09:45 AM
That's gorgeous and you'll have zero trouble selling it. I'd try the BMW club, too. Far fewer deadbeats and idiots, they're very active in the area, and it may be easier to let it go knowing it is going to a buyer who will appreciate what they're getting. Before you let it go, you should take it for a drive around the North Shore. We have a great collection of windy roads up here.

bpiecuch
06-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Beautiful car! M3 engine swaps are very pricey, and usually not well sorted. If yours is complete (w/ AC and all electronics sorted) then $10k is a good starting point.

Look at R3Vlimited.com for more information, as well as a good place to sell this.

I'm in Providence, and would love to "go out for a drive" in this anytime!

FlashUNC
06-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Bringatrailer.com

der5092
06-22-2018, 10:13 AM
I had good success and an easy time selling my Acura TL on Craigslist. Another suggestion is to alert mechanics at decent service stations that you are looking to sell.

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Beautiful car! M3 engine swaps are very pricey, and usually not well sorted. If yours is complete (w/ AC and all electronics sorted) then $10k is a good starting point.

Look at R3Vlimited.com for more information, as well as a good place to sell this.

R3V is a good one. Havent been on in ages. And yep, All the electronics was done professionally buy an E30 guru on the island and the AC was custom fitted as the regular lines obviously wont work with the swapped motor. Its an extremely clean install. No wires hanging out everywhere like some of the nightmares ive seen.

Heisenberg
06-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Swap for a Baum?

Ha. Gorgeous E30. I miss my 325is on a daily basis.

BAT is a good outlet, though I've heard their listing fees are steep.

Ken Robb
06-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Join BMWCCA and use the free classifieds to reach lots of folks who will appreciate/want this car. What year e-36?

velofinds
06-22-2018, 11:02 AM
PM sent :) For fun, here's a photo of my old E30:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5135/5439371923_206d5ec8ff_b.jpg

Rafa
06-22-2018, 12:23 PM
Bringatrailer.com

+1, especially for a converted car.

mtechnica
06-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Bring a trailer, Craigslist.

ojingoh
06-22-2018, 12:57 PM

M3 swap, done by a professional, $10k would need an enthusiast to buy it. Full disclosure I have a '91 318is.

Too bad you're not in Seattle, the gathering of the tribe is this weekend http://www.e30picnic.com and it would a good time to get the word out.

azrider
06-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Bring a trailer

this ^

jlwdm
06-22-2018, 01:07 PM
I agree on Bring a Trailer. At least go through past sales on BAT to help determine value. Also, recognize that on BAT people are going to post about any negative item on the car.

I have had a bad habit of bidding on BAT lately mainly at a little lower price levels than I think a car will sell for. I have almost ended up with a couple cars though so I need to show a little more restraint.

Jeff

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Sure glad I posted this because I seriously have never heard of Bring a trailer! Thanks guys!

06-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Mileage on the vehicle? On the block? Past damage? Do you have complete service records? Any rust or structural deterioration? How's the upholstery and interior generally?

I owned a long string of 2002tii's, 530's, Alpinas, Dinans, M-sports, you name it. All are high maintenance and an E30 slips into that category. The block swap is a question mark, at least if someone was going to fly to you and drive it home. It might consign you to a buyer in the nearby region, though you're where one could find a lot of buyers. Is the history of the vehicle entirely in the Northeast? There's a plus for vehicles from the south, away from winter and salt.

I'd definitely second the BMWCCA route, but do also be aware that you'll be pounded with questions and skeptic. Buyers there have seen every form of bad car and it reflects in their questions and their pricing.

velofinds
06-22-2018, 01:16 PM
I personally have nothing bad to say about BaT, but just to temper some of the enthusiasm, I have heard cautionary anecdotes from some sellers, e.g., a non-paying bidder wins the auction and BaT refuses to refund the listing fee, etc.

batman1425
06-22-2018, 01:22 PM
M3 swap, done by a professional, $10k would need an enthusiast to buy it.

That's my gut feeling too. There's somebody that will go north of $10K, but not a ton of them given the values that can be had for reasonably low milage and well taken care of examples. Trick will be getting the word out. BaT is a good place to start but be prepared for the flame cannon from the arm chair quarterbacks in the comments section.

It's a labor of love. You'll never get back what you've put into it unless it's an uber collectable (E30 M3 for example), but this is certainly more car than your average E30. How much more is going to depend on the quality of the swap, what kind of shape the donor bits were in (lots of folks flogged the crap out of those E36's), what kind of supporting mods for the power, and the state of the fit and finish - particularly the interior bits that are a real pain to find replacements for. Brakes? Suspension? Guessing you did some of that too, it looks a bit lower than stock.

That said, it looks great and if the conversion was done right, it is for sure a desirable car. If it was a touring, I'd be making you and offer right now and booking tickets.

Bicyclepair
06-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Also try....Bimmerforums and Pelican Parts/BMW section

GLWS, beautiful car!

PapaScottsy
06-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Bmwcca

Ken Robb
06-22-2018, 05:04 PM
PM sent :) For fun, here's a photo of my old E30:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5135/5439371923_206d5ec8ff_b.jpg

OOH, BBS wheels!

jrsbike
06-22-2018, 06:08 PM
All real serious auto buying and selling these days is done on the Bring a Trailer site. It is very comprehensive with many rare and classic finds. Do your homework first. The commentators are extremely astute and know what they are talking about. Accurate and full descriptions are a must along with excellent pics. Idiot commentators are quickly weeded out.

YesNdeed
06-22-2018, 06:16 PM
+1 for Bring a Trailer. I didn't see Petrolicious mentioned, forgive me if I missed it. There is a Cars For Sale section, so you might take a look at that. It's also a beautiful site for very well produced mini films on rare cars.
https://petrolicious.com

witcombusa
06-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Don't do it... seriously!
You'll regret it sooner than later. Good e30's will sell easy and that should tell you something right there.
I love these cars and will never part with mine :banana:
(1987 325is)

jamesdak
06-22-2018, 07:21 PM
Mileage on the vehicle? On the block? Past damage? Do you have complete service records? Any rust or structural deterioration? How's the upholstery and interior generally?

I owned a long string of 2002tii's, 530's, Alpinas, Dinans, M-sports, you name it.

Oh yeah! My 2002ti that gave me many a smiles during my tour in Germany. This thing had a lot of mods and was crazy fun and fast to drive.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/110436221.jpg

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 07:39 PM

I owned a long string of 2002tii's, 530's, Alpinas, Dinans, M-sports, you name it. All are high maintenance and an E30 slips into that category. The block swap is a question mark, at least if someone was going to fly to you and drive it home. It might consign you to a buyer in the nearby region, though you're where one could find a lot of buyers. Is the history of the vehicle entirely in the Northeast? There's a plus for vehicles from the south, away from winter and salt.

I'd definitely second the BMWCCA route, but do also be aware that you'll be pounded with questions and skeptic. Buyers there have seen every form of bad car and it reflects in their questions and their pricing.

Good questions.

The top end of the motor was rebuilt at Turner Motorsports 20k miles before I bought it. I have put probably 25k miles on it since the swap. The body has around 233k miles. No accidents. I have all receipts and I believe I even have the receipt for the motor rebuild. Interior is a 9/10. Crack free dash and all. It had rust underneath the rear valance as well as at the bottom-rear of the front fenders but about 6 years ago, I spent probably over $2k and had a shop take it all apart and do a permanent fix. I told the guy I planned on having the car for the rest of my life, "so fix it good". :) He pulled the fenders off completely and even patched the part of the body behind the fender to make sure nothing spread. The only thing I would do is either keep an eye out for a good, used driver-side fender in alpine white, or get a new one for pretty cheap and have it painted. At the time, I just had him convert the rust on the fender because I didnt feel like buying a brand new one and have to worry about paint-matching the rest of the body. I believe the history of the car is in the Northeast. I am pretty sure the lady I bought it front was the original owner, but she must've kept it garaged like me because the paint is in really great shape. Whenever someone comes to talk to me on the street about the car, they ask if its a repaint.

fmradio516
06-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Found a pic from a nice day last year:

https://i.imgur.com/PX0Dids.jpg

witcombusa
06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Where's a gratuitous shot of the engine bay?! :)

jpritchet74
06-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Oh man I wish that I had the funds for that car - I have wanted one for YEARS!

velofinds
06-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah! My 2002ti that gave me many a smiles during my tour in Germany. This thing had a lot of mods and was crazy fun and fast to drive.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/110436221.jpg

Any more of this one? Looks awesome.

jamesdak
06-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Any more of this one? Looks awesome.

A few somewhere.... Shot with an old disc camera so the quality is terrible. One shot of the interior that shows the racing recaro and 5 point harness for the driver. One of the engine which I broke. :(

We thought it blew a head gasket and took the head off. Found a milled deck, domed pistons, and a nicely ported and polished head. But the replacement "proper" headgasket didn't fit. After some research at the Karlruhe dealership they said the car somehow had some racing engine from the 70's that was not stock at all. The oil was mixing with water somewhere in the block. So I wound up parting it out since the body was getting pretty rusty by the time I got it.

sailorboy
06-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Found a pic from a nice day last year:

https://i.imgur.com/PX0Dids.jpg

Love that thing...when I traded in my TDI a couple years ago during the scandal, I decided to go all in and get my first ever BMW. There was only one clear choice, a 2-series coupe in alpine white of course.

I've also been thinking about selling recently since it is not practical up here in the northeast for a DD. Went through 6 tires between February and April due to the crap roads, so now it is in the garage most of the time. Seeing this thread makes me want to hold onto it as long as I can afford it. Love for a car makes you do some crazy $h!t.

fmradio516
06-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Where's a gratuitous shot of the engine bay?! :)

I checked and I only have two pics handy of the engine bay. One with an instagram vignette-type of blur effect and the other when I was changing the radiator.

As I've mentioned to the people who have PMd me, I am in Boston, but the car is on Long Island covered in my mothers garage. I leave it there over the winter and drive it whenever I visit if there isnt any salt on the roads. I usually have it back up in boston by april/may but I've been traveling a ton for work and never had a chance to bring it up yet.

https://i.imgur.com/7J8DKgf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Fq4puCJ.jpg

hokoman
06-24-2018, 08:23 AM
I would post on Bimmerforums - I sold my Z3/68 M Coupe on Bimmerforums - posted it, and then a guy in LA called and flew up 4 hours later. I picked him up from the airport, he gave me a handful of cash, and then drove home. I used to look at BAT a long time ago, but the format changed a bit and I moved abroad so it was pointless. If this was a sedan, I would totally pick this up. The bulletproof S52 motor in a classic, sleeper bimmer body. I'm most likely going to be picking up a new CRV in the next couple of months. :(

People in CA might have a hard time registering this car - CA crazy.

fmradio516
06-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Just found an action shot!

https://i.imgur.com/SyT8Xud.jpg

Brian Smith
06-24-2018, 05:45 PM
I agree with the Bimmerforums suggestion. I'd only trust someone who regularly sells on BAT regarding recommendations to sell there. The peanut gallery of comment makers there will find your listing on Bimmerforums as well, and you won't have the hassle of the people who want their cut of the bid. This isn't a car, I don't think, that requires a "national audience" of internet droolers in order to sell. BMWCCA members are also a good audience. Autotrader and the like are going to have questions about the accumulated miles, fuel economy, provenance of the motor mounts, i.e. probably not the enthusiastic market you may like to reach and with whom it will find a happy home.