PDA

View Full Version : Need aesthetic input

NHAero
06-21-2018, 08:20 PM
OK, I'm an engineer, no one lets me make any choices when it comes to aesthetics. I've got my Anderson pretty much set up as I want it for all day comfort. I have some old body issues that puts the bars and saddle about level. (My CAAD10 is set up with 3 cm of drop but it's not as comfortable).

So, two photos attached. I don't like the way the stem sets in either. The level stem uses a lot of spacers to get the bars up. Flip the stem (it's +/- 17 degrees) and the rise of the stem puts the bars up a tad higher without any spacer below the stem.

My inclination is to get a 0 degree rise stem and run it with a spacer or two.

What say the mavens? Yes, the saddle and pedals are different, I'm still fooling with that stuff...

jtakeda
06-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Id like to see the 1st pic with the saddle from #2.

I think it would look better that way.

hokoman
06-21-2018, 08:22 PM
I would find a stem with a slight rise to match the top tube angle. I don't like the look of a stem that has a ton of spacers under, just to angle down.

Toddtwenty2
06-21-2018, 08:27 PM
I vote a zero degree stem to match the top tube angle and cut down on spacers, but I am usually a compromise kind of guy.

rwsaunders
06-21-2018, 08:28 PM
One of these (tall stack stem) might work for you but I agree that a stem angle to match your top tube angle might look good.

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-tall-stack-threadless-stem-31-8-rise

lhuerta
06-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Do the math with this tool....

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Louis
06-21-2018, 08:47 PM
I agree with what's been said above - a stem that matches the line of the tt is ideal, or if that still gives you too many spacers, a few degrees more than the tt. Don't get too worked up about it - despite what Billy Crystal says, having it feel right is way more important than having it look right.

https://images.genius.com/efb46593ba7f1504218ecf778394462b.336x429x1.jpg

R3awak3n
06-21-2018, 08:50 PM
One of these (tall stack stem) might work for you but I agree that a stem angle to match your top tube angle might look good.

https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-tall-stack-threadless-stem-31-8-rise

this 100x

they really clean up the look for people that have to run a lot of spacers.

If you want something nicer both sim works and fairweather sell something made by nito that is VERY nice

I used the VO on my old elephant and worked well, looked pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/9xWFj7N.jpg?1

colker
06-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Rotate down those bars and you will have less reach to those drops. Significantly less. Then you will be able to have a longer and lower stem.

It´s the hbar set up that is fixing everything wrong there. Those drops should be more parallel to the ground so that you will have less weight on the front wheel. You will be able to move back your saddle as well on a seatpost w/ setback.

YMMV.

charliedid
06-21-2018, 09:09 PM
- 6 or 7 would match the angle. If you want to try a 0 degree (70 mm) I have this for sale :-)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=222253

NHAero
06-21-2018, 10:14 PM
If I want the stem to be parallel with the 6 degree sloped TT, with a 71.5 HTA the stem would be (90-71.5-6)=12.5 degrees. Are there any such things, especially in 26.0 bar clamp?
That tall VO stem is certainly more elegant than 35mm of spacers....

NHAero
06-21-2018, 10:17 PM
The bars are just right for me riding on the hoods. I am hardly ever in the drops.

Rotate down those bars and you will have less reach to those drops. Significantly less. Then you will be able to have a longer and lower stem.

It´s the hbar set up that is fixing everything wrong there. Those drops should be more parallel to the ground so that you will have less weight on the front wheel. You will be able to move back your saddle as well on a seatpost w/ setback.

YMMV.

72gmc
06-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Two good places to look for stems:

Sim-works.com, check out the Anna Lee-S and the Wendy (both 10 degrees)

Global.bluelug.com has lots of stems and other dangerous good stuff

HenryA
06-21-2018, 10:27 PM
I like the idea of a custom stem and shorter reach bars to balance out with the slightly longer stem you have made.

My bikes look about like yours and sometimes I think I’ll get a cool stem made, but then I just go ride it.

For not much money, the VO mentioned above looks pretty nice.

macaroon
06-22-2018, 06:51 AM
The -17 with no spacers is cleanest, a 0 (or 6) degree stem with spacers will look worse. There's so much other stuff making the bike look displeasing that stem angle isn't much of a biggy TBH.

Aesthetically, 1 or 2 spacers is ok, but not with that extended head tube.

Although I think a 3mm spacer between the -17 and top of headset would look potentially better; difficult to tell until you've chopped off all that above the stem.

NHAero
06-22-2018, 07:39 AM
I was waiting for this - took until the 15th post :-)
But thank you for the useful input!

The -17 with no spacers is cleanest, a 0 (or 6) degree stem with spacers will look worse. There's so much other stuff making the bike look displeasing that stem angle isn't much of a biggy TBH.

Aesthetically, 1 or 2 spacers is ok, but not with that extended head tube.

Although I think a 3mm spacer between the -17 and top of headset would look potentially better; difficult to tell until you've chopped off all that above the stem.

timto
06-22-2018, 08:13 AM
I'm also in the +17 stem, no spacers, camp. For that to look good you have to commit and trim the steerer after which means no going back to anything other than a +17! TOTAL commitment.

Additional

Saddle from image 2
Pedals from image 1
Rotate bars down a little
De sticker wheels for less clutter
Nicer all black tires without reflective strip - nicer quality rubber like compass EL tires of some kind. That frame is amazing and deserves the best smooth fast tires

:)

I also like that stems angle up more than the TT slope.

semdoug
06-22-2018, 08:27 AM
That bike is a basket case, but I'll give you $200 for it.;)

Joking aside, have you considered some of the handlebars that are out now that bump up at the stem clamp area. I have seen several but here is one example, FSA carbon compact k-wing: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/fsa-k-wing-compact-handlebar

Might help when combined with a new stem.

NHAero
06-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Huh, very interesting idea! Thanks

That bike is a basket case, but I'll give you $200 for it.;)

Joking aside, have you considered some of the handlebars that are out now that bump up at the stem clamp area. I have seen several but here is one example, FSA carbon compact k-wing: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/fsa-k-wing-compact-handlebar

Might help when combined with a new stem.

Clean39T
06-22-2018, 08:39 AM
The bars are just right for me riding on the hoods. I am hardly ever in the drops.If your drops were in the right place, you might like them. Just unwrap to your levers, level the drops to where they don't feel angled up when sitting in the saddle and grabbing them at the end, and then bring your levers up higher to where you like them. The hoods position will then feel the same or better, and you'll have some additional hand positions. This could get you to a bit longer stem, which would help the bike handle better. Narrower bars would help there too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NHAero
06-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Thank you for this information. If I do as you suggest (and I see the advantages of what you and others say) won't the tops of the bars end up angled downward towards the hoods? I was aiming for them to be flat up to the hoods, and then the hoods angled up a bit. But you suggest an easy experiment to try, thank you. I think the bars are a 42, they are short reach/drop Origin8 - 70mm reach, 120mm drop. Always open to suggestions about better bar shapes...

http://www.origin8.bike/product-description/?prod_model_uid=6672

If your drops were in the right place, you might like them. Just unwrap to your levers, level the drops to where they don't feel angled up when sitting in the saddle and grabbing them at the end, and then bring your levers up higher to where you like them. The hoods position will then feel the same or better, and you'll have some additional hand positions. This could get you to a bit longer stem, which would help the bike handle better. Narrower bars would help there too.

bicycletricycle
06-22-2018, 08:58 AM
You should use a stem that would be parallel to the top tube . Looks like a 0/90 degree would do it.

NHAero
06-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Ryan, please see my post #11 earlier in the thread. Let me know if my math is wrong - I calc a 12.5 degree angle as one that would be parallel to the TT, which is a 6 degree slope.

You should use a stem that would be parallel to the top tube . Looks like a 0/90 degree would do it.

pdmtong
06-22-2018, 09:40 AM
I was waiting for this - took until the 15th post :-)

But thank you for the useful input!

You asked for aesthetic input. You got aesthetic input. Don’t ask unless you are ok with feedback of all kinds.

-17d and lots of spacers always looks odd

I would find a tall stack stem and mate that with a k-wing or specialized hover bar if those stems come in 31.8

Next agreed with a 0d or 6d with spacers

Lastly +17d

colker
06-22-2018, 09:52 AM
The bars are just right for me riding on the hoods. I am hardly ever in the drops.

If you are hardly ever in the drops the fit set up is wrong. The way those drops are set, your weight is moved too forward and forces your back.
Riding in the drops is the safest at high speeds.
It´s a race bike you have.... not a mountain bike.

colker
06-22-2018, 09:56 AM
If your drops were in the right place, you might like them. Just unwrap to your levers, level the drops to where they don't feel angled up when sitting in the saddle and grabbing them at the end, and then bring your levers up higher to where you like them. The hoods position will then feel the same or better, and you'll have some additional hand positions. This could get you to a bit longer stem, which would help the bike handle better. Narrower bars would help there too.

Yes! What he said.
You want more positions on your bike. Riding in the drops is one of them and it´s safer in lots of situations.
When the bars are set right you will be relaxed and comfortable w/ hands on the top, hoods and drops.

NHAero
06-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Dave and I worked through how best to accommodate my needs with the frame design and I'm pretty ecstatic with the results in terms of fit, ride quality, and frame aesthetics. I have the HT extension because of issues with my spine, and a sloped TT so I have standover. The BikeCad file shows an 80mm stem with 17 rise, pretty much what's on the bike in the 2nd photo. I need the bars level with the saddle (in these pix the bars are actually a bit higher than I want). I know many folks need to see a setback seatpost and at least 5mm drop to approve, but those days are in the rear view mirror for me. I appreciate the feedback many have offered.

You asked for aesthetic input. You got aesthetic input. Don’t ask unless you are ok with feedback of all kinds.

-17d and lots of spacers always looks odd

I would find a tall stack stem and mate that with a k-wing or specialized hover bar if those stems come in 31.8

Next agreed with a 0d or 6d with spacers

Next +17d.

Lastly get Anderson to make you a new frame. He does some really great work and this would be the opportunity to get something with everything else you might want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHAero
06-22-2018, 09:59 AM
I'm going to give Clean's suggestions a try, and thank you for the reinforcement.
Yes! What he said.
You want more positions on your bike. Riding in the drops is one of them and it´s safer in lots of situations.
When the bars are set right you will be relaxed and comfortable w/ hands on the top, hoods and drops.

colker
06-22-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm going to give Clean's suggestions a try, and thank you for the reinforcement.

Cool.:)

der5092
06-22-2018, 10:10 AM
I agree with that matching the top tube (or coming close) is the aesthetic choice here.

macaroon
06-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Stem angle matching top tube angle matters more when:

The top tube is horizontal
The stem is long
The stem is low

See all the Pegoretti owners who didn't pay enough attention with the slammed -6 degree stems that look like boners.

Your TT is nowhere near horizontal, your stem is so short it barely matters, plus your stem is so high it's in another plane of vision to the top tube. The +17 solution you have now looks the tidiest.

The huge distance between the top tube and the bottom of the stem with that headtube extension and those spacers are what make the bike look stupid; keep that distance as low as you can.

jrsbike
06-22-2018, 06:41 PM
I'm with macaroon's comments above with the added recommendation that if possible you paint the stem to match the frame in order to reduce the visual impact of the front end. The large silver stem can look too heavy and unbalance the cockpit. Heck I'm just an architect and no one listens to me anyway!

Luwabra
06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
asking for aesthetic advice here is basically the same as opening a wallet full of money, tipping it upside down and shaking the piss out of it into an unending hole. trust me im still shaking mine. its disgusting.

NHAero
06-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Hah!
I've received a bunch of useful beta in this thread, so I can let the other roll off.
It's not the first time I've gotten the "get a frame made that fits properly" on the PL.

asking for aesthetic advice here is basically the same as opening a wallet full of money, tipping it upside down and shaking the piss out of it into an unending hole. trust me im still shaking mine. its disgusting.

pdmtong
06-22-2018, 08:31 PM
No idea Dave made that for you

My point with new frame is there are ways to make a taller head tube to accommodate your aesthetic in conjunction with your fit

You gotta ride the incarnation your physiology supports. And be happy you can still ride as others here are selling off their bikes

After I posted that as last suggestion I noticed you had fender mount rack mount discs. That’s why I edited since clearly this was a more recent frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93KgBike
06-23-2018, 12:59 AM
OK, I'm an engineer... I have some old body issues that puts the bars and saddle about level.

Wow, you must be awesome! Here's the professor himself at 25.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4uWtNp-Us9E/Ul5wm1hTrhI/AAAAAAAAAfk/BpYobBgx0bU/s1600/fignon_systeme_U.jpg

You body is perfect for you, and it is your test platform.

I like the second saddle and a level stem, fwiiw.

NHAero
06-23-2018, 08:57 AM
I'm curious about the tire comment - the tires on the bike are Vittoria Randonneur Hyper, which I find to be excellent. Has anyone else tried these tires and compared to the Compass?

I'm also in the +17 stem, no spacers, camp. For that to look good you have to commit and trim the steerer after which means no going back to anything other than a +17! TOTAL commitment.

Additional

Saddle from image 2
Pedals from image 1
Rotate bars down a little
De sticker wheels for less clutter
Nicer all black tires without reflective strip - nicer quality rubber like compass EL tires of some kind. That frame is amazing and deserves the best smooth fast tires

:)

I also like that stems angle up more than the TT slope.

NHAero
06-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Hah! Here's my professor, both my freshman advisor and master's thesis advisor:
http://news.mit.edu/2017/mit-designer-inventor-author-bike-bible-david-gordon-wilson-on-bicycles-0725
The attached photo may give a clue towards my bicycle aesthetic roots!

Wow, you must be awesome! Here's the professor himself at 25.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4uWtNp-Us9E/Ul5wm1hTrhI/AAAAAAAAAfk/BpYobBgx0bU/s1600/fignon_systeme_U.jpg

You body is perfect for you, and it is your test platform.

I like the second saddle and a level stem, fwiiw.

tv_vt
06-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Hi Marc,

Lots said already. I like the idea of a non-silver stem. The blocky silver one is distracting. Black could be good, or painted to match frame. Would also switch out the spacers to de-emphasize them, going with black, or frame color. Like the suggestion to match top tube slope, too.

Beautiful bike!

Cheers,

TV

RedRider
06-23-2018, 10:02 AM
deleted comments

Blown Reek
06-23-2018, 10:34 AM
Here's the professor himself at 25.

I didn't look that old at 40.

Pearsom
06-23-2018, 12:49 PM
what length stem are you using?

Blown Reek
06-23-2018, 01:17 PM
A 120.

bicycletricycle
06-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Ryan, please see my post #11 earlier in the thread. Let me know if my math is wrong - I calc a 12.5 degree angle as one that would be parallel to the TT, which is a 6 degree slope.

I’d go -6 then

NHAero
06-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Black 0 degree stem, one 5mm spacer below, one 5mm spacer above. Steerer cut. Rotated the bars and nudged the levers accordingly.
Thanks, I got a fair bit out of the input, and feel it's a good improvement.

HenryA
06-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Yep.

Mighta gone with silver finish, but looks good.

Ruimteaapje
06-29-2018, 10:08 AM
It has probably been mentioned above but my 2cts: since you have disk brakes there's no need for those rims with a braking surface and aesthetically your bike would benefit from wheels with either all black or all polished rims and gumwall tires :)

NHAero
06-29-2018, 10:24 AM
The rim choice was intentional (which doesn't make it the right choice :-) because all black and the black tires, which I like (Vittoria Randonneur Hyper) felt too heavy visually.

It has probably been mentioned above but my 2cts: since you have disk brakes there's no need for those rims with a braking surface and aesthetically your bike would benefit from wheels with either all black or all polished rims and gumwall tires :)

Ruimteaapje
06-29-2018, 10:27 AM
What are your feelings about black tires on all polished rims? IMHO the black + silver + decals is too busy.

NHAero
06-29-2018, 10:43 AM
That might have been a better choice. I went with the rim choice of the wheel builder, which performance-wise was a good one. But another time I will be more attentive to the whole package!

What are your feelings about black tires on all polished rims? IMHO the black + silver + decals is too busy.

colker
06-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Black 0 degree stem, one 5mm spacer below, one 5mm spacer above. Steerer cut. Rotated the bars and nudged the levers accordingly.
Thanks, I got a fair bit out of the input, and feel it's a good improvement.

That looks so much better. Looks now like a functional bike. Well done, sir...

NHAero
07-01-2018, 03:41 PM
So now I'm thinking, bars and stem are black - what about that silver seatpost?

41 miles on the new set-up yesterday morning, very pleased with the results. The bar rotation helps on the drops, and the hoods aren't noticeably farther to reach. Thanks again for the input.

colker
07-01-2018, 05:04 PM
So now I'm thinking, bars and stem are black - what about that silver seatpost?

41 miles on the new set-up yesterday morning, very pleased with the results. The bar rotation helps on the drops, and the hoods aren't noticeably farther to reach. Thanks again for the input.

Cool. Happy for you.
You could get a black seatpost w/ setback. Now that you corrected your set up you may end up moving your saddle back. Slowly. I am sure you can eventually turn the stem down to a neg rise. And then change it to a slightly longer one.

Well done.