PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Campy mid-compact

cgolvin
06-21-2018, 07:29 PM
New chainrings are in my future and I've been considering 52/36.

I have white label Super Record compact cranks. My understanding is that the mid-compact chainrings have the same BCD and will work with these cranks, but in addition to the rings I will also need the newer style chainring bolts.

Please confirm or correct my [mis]understanding, thanks.

Also, since it seems 5 bolt chainrings are increasingly rare, does anyone have experience with compatible alternatives?

Spaghetti Legs
06-21-2018, 08:34 PM
Oops sorry! Misread your post, thought You wrote 53-39. Yes 52-36 will work on your crank. I have white label 53-39.

You will need a compact 110 BCD for 52/36 on the pre 2014 Super Record. I have the same crank and did this research a couple of years ago. The rings on the newer 4 arm crank sets are interchangeable. I ended up getting a a compact crankset for mine.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/support#documentation

This is where I did my research. The layout of the site has changed but look up the 2009-2010 - either user manual or technical specs.

cadence90
06-21-2018, 08:50 PM
.... ..

AngryScientist
06-21-2018, 09:17 PM
finding actual campy chainrings can be a frustrating exercise, and often you may find you can find a full crankset cheaper than a set of OEM chainrings.

i like stronglight replacement rings. good quality, reasonable priced, and work for campy BCD.

just a note that i think mid-compact is the jam for so-cal riding. when i was out that way last time i rented a bike with 52/36, and thought i'd not appreciate the 52, but i definitely did. 36 paired with the right cassette is a nice cruising climbing gear ratio. good move, IMO.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KL94nT9nfMg/WBX5agj9WjI/AAAAAAAACoY/qInUVn3xdPMuI9jjlxQhEJ8Cf_Yn0X_twCLcB/s1040/IMG_1080.JPG

cgolvin
06-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Thanks all. That thread made my head hurt.

finding actual campy chainrings can be a frustrating exercise, and often you may find you can find a full crankset cheaper than a set of OEM chainrings.

i like stronglight replacement rings. good quality, reasonable priced, and work for campy BCD.

Yes, I think the eventual prescription is a new crankset, been wanting to replace the 175s anyway. While I prefer the aesthetics of five arm, the flexibility of four arm will likely win the day.

just a note that i think mid-compact is the jam for so-cal riding. when i was out that way last time i rented a bike with 52/36, and thought i'd not appreciate the 52, but i definitely did. 36 paired with the right cassette is a nice cruising climbing gear ratio. good move, IMO.

What I'm really itching to build is a Peg with 52/36 silver Potenza and 11-32, would be ideal for out here. But the right size doesn't come along very often. So let me know if you get tired of your 8:30 :hello:

cadence90
06-21-2018, 10:35 PM
.... ..

oldpotatoe
06-22-2018, 08:08 AM
New chainrings are in my future and I've been considering 52/36.

I have white label Super Record compact cranks. My understanding is that the mid-compact chainrings have the same BCD and will work with these cranks, but in addition to the rings I will also need the newer style chainring bolts.

Please confirm or correct my [mis]understanding, thanks.

Also, since it seems 5 bolt chainrings are increasingly rare, does anyone have experience with compatible alternatives?

BCD is 110/112(for hidden arm)...what you need for 'mid-compact'. Depends on the rings you buy for CR bolts..TA is a great alternative and don't have the 'screw into small ring' CR bolts. It's not really that complicated. Campag and TA and Stronglight CRs are pretty easy to find in 52/36-110/112...and once with them, CR bolts pretty easy too, either Campag or aftermarket(oooo, colors). BTW, I wanted a 38t on my older square taper CT Record compact crank..found a decent 110 inner and took a dremel to the hidden bolt, ovalized it a bit and put in on..about 18 months ago..