PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CIII

hotspur.serotta
06-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Just bought a Serotta CIII, sapphire blue. Love the looks, the metal work, craftsmanship. I feel like a kid who graduated from a spavined old cow pony to a thoroughbred colt.

Pix here: https://hotspur.smugmug.com/Serotta/

Serial No. CCO 66 18XX

According to https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078, that means a custom CIII with 66 cm seat tube, the 18XX copy made. Since the CIII was discontinued after 2005, this is a 2004 or 2005?

I measured the seat tube as carefully as I could and get 65 cm (center of crank to top), so the 66 shows I'm not measuring right? Top Tube is 62 cm, Standover is 35, Head Tube 25.4 cm.

Yes, it's a monster, but I'm 6'5".

Any closer ideas on the year?
Suggestions for replacing the WH-R500 wheels? I'm 190 lb, and ruggedness and ride are top interests.
Any suggestions on tires? These are new, "Strada Forte ST" and "puncture resistant," but are they? I'm most interested in thorn and glass resistance, speed not so much, such as Schwalbe Marathons?

Oh, don't worry about the pedals - the seller just threw those on so I could ride round the block.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Spinner
06-21-2018, 04:41 PM
... and a treat to ride. My CIII is a favorite that delivers in numerous ways.

Enjoy.

saab2000
06-21-2018, 04:42 PM
I have had three CIII or Colorado IIIs in my life. This bike may have equals in the realm of steel bikes, but no superiors.

Looks like it’s well equipped as is so I’d likely just ride it like that until something needs replacement.

Clean39T
06-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Is that the one that was for sale in Phoenix for a year? If yes, you scored a great bike! And it's awesome that the bike finally found its perfect owner.. Win-win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Louis
06-21-2018, 05:52 PM
I measured the seat tube as carefully as I could and get 65 cm (center of crank to top), so the 66 shows I'm not measuring right? Top Tube is 62 cm, Standover is 35, Head Tube 25.4 cm.

You don't have an overall picture of the bike, but it looks to me like the tt is not horizontal. The size could be to the center of the "virtual" tt.

Edit: Welcome to the forum. :)

hotspur.serotta
06-21-2018, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=Louis;2383971]You don't have an overall picture of the bike, but it looks to me like the tt is not horizontal. The size could be to the center of the "virtual" tt.

I did not notice I had no overall picture--I was concentrating on showing the details. You're right. The TT drops 1.25" per foot, though that would add another 2.5" (6.3 cm)?

Ozz
06-21-2018, 06:12 PM
... Since the CIII was discontinued after 2005, this is a 2004 or 2005?...

It has an F3 fork, and I don't think those came out until 2005...good looking bike!

hotspur.serotta
06-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Is that the one that was for sale in Phoenix for a year? If yes, you scored a great bike! And it's awesome that the bike finally found its perfect owner.. Win-win.

Yes it was. I just drove up there and got it. I couldn't be happier.

This is a great forum, lots of accumulated wisdom here.

HenryA
06-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Nice bike!

Panaracer Race Type D would be great tires. Good ride and very puncture resistant.

azrider
06-21-2018, 06:47 PM
here is full side pic

Louis
06-21-2018, 06:56 PM
And that is a big bike, for a big guy.

hotspur.serotta
06-24-2018, 07:16 PM
The left shifter did not work when I bought it. Adjusting the cable did nothing. I took it off and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for 25", then doused with Liquid Wrench followed by Tri-Flow. Still nothing.

I have no idea which model it is. It's 13 years old. Here's what it looks like (2 shots):
https://hotspur.smugmug.com/Serotta/i-N9bMNRv

Question: Is there anyone who rebuilds these? I am not confident about tearing it down myself. Am I better off buying a used one on eBay, or is that just trading trouble? I would really rather not buy a new one!

BTW, the 2 photos following those of the shifter are of the cassette. Can anyone tell me how much wear those gears have? I have nothing to compare to. It's working fine now, I'd just like to have an idea how much life they have left in them.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2018, 08:12 PM
I must have missed the "CIII" designation. I own a Colorado III made in 2003. Same thing? Seems like it.

duff_duffy
06-24-2018, 08:29 PM
If you pull the hood back on it I believe the model number is listed on it. I’d vote for buying another on eBay. I’ve had them for years and usually work pretty good.

The left shifter did not work when I bought it. Adjusting the cable did nothing. I took it off and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for 25", then doused with Liquid Wrench followed by Tri-Flow. Still nothing.

I have no idea which model it is. It's 13 years old. Here's what it looks like (2 shots):
https://hotspur.smugmug.com/Serotta/i-N9bMNRv

Question: Is there anyone who rebuilds these? I am not confident about tearing it down myself. Am I better off buying a used one on eBay, or is that just trading trouble? I would really rather not buy a new one!

BTW, the 2 photos following those of the shifter are of the cassette. Can anyone tell me how much wear those gears have? I have nothing to compare to. It's working fine now, I'd just like to have an idea how much life they have left in them.

hotspur.serotta
06-24-2018, 11:36 PM
I should have looked more closely. Scanning eBay now.

Highpowernut
06-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Glad you found that frame, I know of a nove in phoenix that size but he’s not selling.

That end of the spectrum is harder to find than small frames.

Ride the crap out of it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
06-25-2018, 08:15 AM
I should have looked more closely. Scanning eBay now.

Altho a few have said they can take these things apart and fix..not really plus shimano never offered any internal shifter small parts..

hotspur.serotta
06-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Used Ultegra ST-6600 shifters are not that plentiful on eBay. Would I be taking a large step down by going to Tiagra ST-4600 or ST-4700? What are the differences between those products and the ST-6600?

hotspur.serotta
06-25-2018, 04:17 PM
A number of shifters offered on eBay are from Taiwan or China. Are those likely counterfeits?

oliver1850
06-26-2018, 01:11 AM
I'd think a Shimano STI would be a pretty hard part to counterfeit.

I wouldn't have a problem running 4600 shifters on a 6600 bike. I'd expect the Tiagras to weigh more, function the same.

You might also look for R700 levers. They were supposed to be Ultegra level but made for smaller hands. I have a pair on my Ritchey and don't notice any difference in reach. Don't know if there was a 105 equivalent, R500 or R600 maybe?

hotspur.serotta
06-27-2018, 08:02 PM
I told how I put it in ultrasonic bath of Simple Green followed by Liquid Wrench and then Tri-Flow. No joy. Two days later I tried it and the ratchet is working. Guess it took a while for whatever gunk was in there to dissolve.

hotspur.serotta
06-27-2018, 08:09 PM
As the photos at the top of this thread show, my bike has Shimano WH-R500 wheels. They're in good shape, but I'd like to upgrade if possible.

I have a line on these Mavic Open Pros for $200. They have c. 1000 miles on them. Would that be a significant upgrade? If not, I'm open to suggestions.

"These wheels are hand-built by a custom wheel builder for long lasting performance. Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs, laced to Mavic Open Pro Black rims, with 15 gauge DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Velox rim tape and skewers are included. Complete wheelset weight (with Velox and Skewers) is 1940 grams."