PDA

View Full Version : tire rub

dasein
06-21-2018, 09:35 AM
I am trying to run a Schwalbe Durano Plus 25 on a Hed Belgium plus in the rear on my TT bike. It's a tight fit. I'm getting some rub on about 4cm of the circumference of the tire. Of course, I don't have to use this tire, but like it for training, because of it's flat resistance. In that section of the tire, there clearly is a bit more bulge than anywhere else. Maybe the wheel is out of true, maybe it's the tire, or maybe a different tube would help. Is trying a tube that is fit for 18-23mm tires advisable or even possibly helpful. I tried lowering the PSI to about 90 , which helped some. Besides changing the tire, which I will do if needed, any other suggestions for how to make it work? The rub seems to occur on the non-drive side chain stay. I'd like to run 90-100 PSI.

Thanks

batman1425
06-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Using an 18-23c tube will be fine. It will stretch to fill the volume.

While some tires escape quality control with hops and bulges - the first run of Clement (Donnlley) MSO tubeless are a good example - another possibility is you don't have it completely seated in the bead.

I'd try remounting the tire with a bit of soapy water on the bead and pump it up to 115-120psi. You should hear the bead snap into place a few times while airing up. If the bulge is still there, mark it's location on the tire and rim, and remount the tire in a different orientation with respect to the rim and see if the bulge follows the location on the tire or the rim. Will tell you what to investigate or replace next.

Mark McM
06-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Using a smaller diameter tube will not shrink the tire width, because the tube easily expands to fit the volume of the tire. It is the tire and the rim (and also the pressure) that determines tire width.

First, check to see if the wheel is properly centered, and that the wheel is properly seated in the dropouts. For wheel centering, you can try reversing the wheel, and seeing if the tire/rim shifts in the opposite direction. Also check to see if the rim is straight - you can get a good idea of its straightness by watching the clearance at the brake pads when the wheel spins. If the rim is off center or not straight, than the wheel can be trued to center and straighten the rim.

As batman1425 says, it is entirely possible that the tire is made non-uniformly. But I don't know that trying to re-orient the tire on the rim (assuming the rim is straight) will gain you much. It may gain you a millimeter or two, but the wheel can flex under riding loads more than this, so you may still be left with some rub.

If the rim is centered and round, then the final solution will probably be to replace the tire (or the rim) to a narrower model.

batman1425
06-21-2018, 10:28 AM
As batman1425 says, it is entirely possible that the tire is made non-uniformly. But I don't know that trying to re-orient the tire on the rim (assuming the rim is straight) will gain you much. It may gain you a millimeter or two, but the wheel can flex under riding loads more than this, so you may still be left with some rub.

Didn't mean so much as a way to fix the rub, but to identify if it is the tire or the rim that is the source of the problem. If it's a wonky tire, the wobble should follow the orientation of the tire, not the rim, and is an easy thing to check if one doesn't have a truing stand handy to check the wheel.

FWIW HED rims seem to be some of the more stubborn to seat in my hands. They lock in place great once mounted, but tighter beads - especially tubeless - have required a lot of fiddling for me in the past to get them to seat completely on my Ardennes + wheels.

Good advice on making sure the wheels is seated in the drops, dished correctly and such. The flex is a good point too. If the clearance is small enough that a slight wobble is causing rub, I have to imagine that rubbing will be a common occurrence under heavy load. Might be better to size down in general.

mktng
06-21-2018, 10:38 AM
just switch to 700x23. i mean. at 90-100psi. youre not going to be gaining any comfort with a 700x25. no?

if its for training. best have a set up that wont cause you issues when youre out..training

R3awak3n
06-21-2018, 11:00 AM
I had a similar problem with my 25mm, rubbed on one of the stays when out of the saddle. Some wheels are a little more flexy than others.

dasein
06-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Just bought a 23, same tire.just switch to 700x23. i mean. at 90-100psi. youre not going to be gaining any comfort with a 700x25. no?

if its for training. best have a set up that wont cause you issues when youre out..training

ColonelJLloyd
06-21-2018, 11:32 AM
just switch to 700x23. i mean. at 90-100psi. youre not going to be gaining any comfort with a 700x25. no?

I'm not suggesting going to a 23mm tire isn't the solution here, but the increase in volume (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/tire-width-how-much-difference-do-a-few-millimeters-make/) going from 700x23 to 25mm isn't negligible.

Mark McM
06-21-2018, 12:14 PM
I'm not suggesting going to a 23mm tire isn't the solution here, but the increase in volume (https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/tire-width-how-much-difference-do-a-few-millimeters-make/) going from 700x23 to 25mm isn't negligible.

That's very true. But this is counterbalanced by the width of the rim - a 23mm tire on Belgium+ rim (21mm internal, 25mm external) will have an inflated width of about 26mm.

Which makes me wonder why the OP wanted to use 100 psi on the original tire, since a 25mm tire on this rim will inflate to about 28mm or more. He should really have been using about 20 psi or more lower pressure.

dasein
06-21-2018, 12:37 PM
No real good reason other than 100 psi is what I typically run. I will try 80 and see what that does.That's very true. But this is counterbalanced by the width of the rim - a 23mm tire on Belgium+ rim (21mm internal, 25mm external) will have an inflated width of about 26mm.

Which makes me wonder why the OP wanted to use 100 psi on the original tire, since a 25mm tire on this rim will inflate to about 28mm or more. He should really have been using about 20 psi or more lower pressure.

Peter P.
06-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, when clearances are that tight, the only solution is to return to a smaller width tire; in your case, a 23mm.

My belief is, you shouldn't have to search out a specific brand/model of tire you need, or use a specific rim width, just to get the clearances. If there's not enough flexibility to choose any tire of a given width, don't bother with the aggravation.

The unfortunate correct solution is to get a properly designed frame. Carbon frames, due to their larger tube diameters, along with improperly located seatstay bridges, are the cause of the problem. In your case it's the tight chainstay clearances.

R3awak3n
06-21-2018, 06:01 PM
that is a problem on older bikes that only fit 23mm and using a 23mm rim. The 23 will baloon to 25-26mm.

What bike is this? Sounds like a Parlee.

dasein
06-21-2018, 07:45 PM
It's an Argon 18 TT bike. It's a finicky frame with hidden brake calipers, which require spacers to fit various rim widths. It will accommodate up to 27mm rim width, but not with tires on them. Otherwise, it's a fine frame that will run most carbon wheels that I would want to use as long as the tire width is a small 25 or 23. I wanted to try the Belgium plus, and it will fit a 23 tire.(even a wide 23 like a Michelin Pro 4)that is a problem on older bikes that only fit 23mm and using a 23mm rim. The 23 will baloon to 25-26mm.

What bike is this? Sounds like a Parlee.