PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti – Another country heard from…

davids
10-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Remember those threads from a few weeks back? The ones about the Interbike best-in-show? Several of our cognoscenti expressed some very positive opinions on Dario’s latest creation. Several of our other forum brethren expressed skepticism about the new stainless frame and Pegorettis in general, at least in part as a reaction to the hyperbole being used to praise the Responsorium.

I weighed in a few times myself. The conversation was tremendous, and I completely understood the point of view extolling Dario and his work. But, I also mentioned, I’d never ridden a Peg, so could only appreciate the history, the pedigree, the idea…

I shouldn’t have been too surprised to hear from one of Dario’s biggest fans. It seems that there was a deal to be had on a Love #3 with a certain team paint job. To quote my response, “Yow!” There were a number of hurdles to clear before I could close the deal. One of the most important was to actually ride the bike.

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to ride it for about 30 miles, on familiar Boston roads. The frame was built up with good ol’ Ultegra 10 and sported my personal wheels. Here’s what I found:

First of all, it was not harsh at all. Not a bit. I’d characterize the ride as “solid” – feedback from the road was direct and consistent. Its ride is not smooth and buttery like the Nove, nor does it have the spring of good steel. The bike felt very much of a piece, firm and integrated in a very good way.

Power transmission was excellent. I used to think my Seven did this well – My Nove is night-and-day better, and the Love improves on the Nove! Very impressive, and I really enjoyed powering up short hills. I’d push, and the bike would go. I’m sure the light weight didn’t hurt here.

Handling was exemplary – Again, I’ve got to compare the Love to my Seven & Serotta. The Axiom oversteers. It’s fast, and when I’m tired I have to pay extra attention to keep it straight. The Nove has just a hair of understeer – It hesitates just a tick before bending into a turn. The Love was as close to perfect as I’ve ever ridden. I felt confident laying it down in turns after about 90 minutes in the saddle. It simply went where I wanted it to.

I was reminded of a comment Fat Robert made once, something to the effect of - Under 25 mph, Pegs are nice. Under 30 mph, they’re wonderful. Over 30, they’re freaking awesome! I felt like the bike revealed itself more the faster I was pushing it.

The Love #3’s got a strong personality: Exemplary handling, solid & stiff, and all in very light package. It’s a great frame. And it reeks of its creator’s personality. From the paint to fat tubes to the welds, it’s just plain cool.

I had to figure out a way to clear a few more hurdles before taking the next step. With lots of obtuse support, the path is clear. I’m buying this thing even though I won’t be able to build it up for many months. In a few days, I’ll own my second great frame.

Fat Robert
10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
congratulations

ever since i got the chance to play with that 8:30 around Donaldson Center, i've been on the pegwagon

a certain obtuse fellow had a deal on a Love 3 in my size...a week after i bought that scott

unkind were the gods....

Bill Bove
10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
I saw a NERAC Love #3 on ebay but it was a 51, I need a 50. It's buy it now price was less than the wholesale on the 8:30 I'm waiting for. I was bummed.

rnhood
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
One can really appreciate the big legs in this picture. The paint scheme, like all the others of his, encompasses that certain creative flair that we have come to expect from him. Be sure to post pictures in the custom forum when it's built up. Thanks for the ride report.

Johny
10-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Congrats! This is a very special bike.

The bike looks new to me, is it new? What size (50, 51 or 52 cm)? Or custom
geometry?

Erik.Lazdins
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Good to secure the frame first - then concern yourself about building it up.

Congratulations and please be sure to post pictures of it fully built up!

:beer:

sbornia
10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I, too, am thrilled about a recent Peg acquisition. It started out as no more than a little impulsive window-shopping when I saw the closeout price on the '05 8:30am, but the clincher to "add to cart" came from reading all of the positive, substantive comments on this board about the ride quality, Dario's work, etc.

Parts will come later this winter. In the meantime...eccola:

http://www.mightypenmarketing.com/images/peg830am.jpg

bigbill
10-24-2006, 02:18 AM
I, too, am thrilled about a recent Peg acquisition. It started out as no more than a little impulsive window-shopping when I saw the closeout price on the '05 8:30am, but the clincher to "add to cart" came from reading all of the positive, substantive comments on this board about the ride quality, Dario's work, etc.

Parts will come later this winter. In the meantime...eccola:

FYI, I have a Fina that uses the same 31.0 mm seatpost made by WRT compositi. If you haven't bought a post for it, I would recommend a USE shim for 31 to 27.2. Lots of nice 27.2's out there, only one 31.0. I have tried out the setup with the shim and a Thomson post. It worked fine. Nothing wrong with the WRT (around $180) other than being a PITA to adjust, but it stays in adjustment.

Bill Bove
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Dario may be a genius but I just cancelled my frame order. I thought the damn frame used a 31.6 post. Why the eff these guys have to use freakin' oddball size seaposts I don't know. 27.2 or 31.6 are normal size posts that you can get from almost anybody. Build the gd frame using one of them :crap:

sbornia
10-24-2006, 09:44 AM
If you haven't bought a post for it, I would recommend a USE shim for 31 to 27.2. Lots of nice 27.2's out there, only one 31.0. I have tried out the setup with the shim and a Thomson post. It worked fine. Nothing wrong with the WRT (around $180) other than being a PITA to adjust, but it stays in adjustment.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm going to do, as I already have a new Thomson 27.2 waiting to be used. I've spoken to a couple of shops about this, and they all recommend using a shim without reservation.

davids
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Dario may be a genius but I just cancelled my frame order. I thought the damn frame used a 31.6 post. Why the eff these guys have to use freakin' oddball size seaposts I don't know. 27.2 or 31.6 are normal size posts that you can get from almost anybody. Build the gd frame using one of them :crap:
iirc, Dario's gone to a normal size seatpost. Maybe just for the Love #3? I don't remember if my frame takes a 30.9 or a 31.6, though...

And to answer the other questions:

It's brand new, only ridden once by a feeble middle-aged recreational rider.

(I saw the one on e-Bay. Not only is that one, um, well-used, but there's no way I'd pursue that kind of deal after obtuse offered me this, and worked with me to make it feasible. There's a reason a good LBS is worth a premium, and this situation is textbook.)

It's stock 51 cm geo - The angles and reach felt nearly perfect to me (the bars were a bit high...) Obtuse did the best he could based on the numbers I provided, and pics of my Nove here.

Bill Bove
10-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Ten minutes after I posted my mini rant about oddball seatpost sizes Tim from Gita calls me asking if I had emailed Dario about seatpost sizes! I did not, but I told him about this post and we had a nice chat about oddball seatpost sizes. Ahh, I may end up with a Peg after all. BUT that in no way changes my opinion of oddball seatpost sizes :crap:

Climb01742
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Ten minutes after I posted my mini rant about oddball seatpost sizes Tim from Gita calls me asking if I had emailed Dario about seatpost sizes! I did not, but I told him about this post and we had a nice chat about oddball seatpost sizes. Ahh, I may end up with a Peg after all. BUT that in no way changes my opinion of oddball seatpost sizes :crap:

the oddball seatpost sizes are a pain but in practice, shims work quite well.

obtuse
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm going to do, as I already have a new Thomson 27.2 waiting to be used. I've spoken to a couple of shops about this, and they all recommend using a shim without reservation.

the love#3 uses a 31,6 post.

obtuse

SoCalSteve
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
the oddball seatpost sizes are a pain but in practice, shims work quite well.

Word!

Climb01742
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
davids, very glad you got that baby. a perfect counterpoint to your nove. pick your mood, pick your machine.

Johny
10-24-2006, 02:01 PM
It's stock 51 cm geo - The angles and reach felt nearly perfect to me (the bars were a bit high...) Obtuse did the best he could based on the numbers I provided, and pics of my Nove here.

Same size as my GGM (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=204311&postcount=1).

Kudos to Dario and the Jerk! Congrats again.

Ozz
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I saw a NERAC Love #3 on ebay but it was a 51, I need a 50. It's buy it now price was less than the wholesale on the 8:30 I'm waiting for. I was bummed.
still there, but going soon:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Pegoretti-Love-3-Frameset-51cm-Reynolds-Ouzo-Pro_W0QQitemZ140043117670QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98084Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Buy it Now is $1099

Current bid is $521

Not mine....but wish it was....and wish it was my size.

NAHBS
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Rumor has it that Dario will be at NAHBS in March.

I will confirm as soon as I know.

DW

gdw
10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
That frame didn't reach the reserve again but received higher bids than any of the other new or used Pegs which have showed up on Ebay recently.

Cary Ford
10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I rode my new custom BLE today for about 2 hours.

I think I'm going to order a Love #3 before year's end...

swoop
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Rumor has it that Dario will be at NAHBS in March.

I will confirm as soon as I know.

DW

don, let me know if he will be there as soon as you know. if he does attend i'll come out and have him measure me for a love#3. where is the show this year?

swoop

Climb01742
10-25-2006, 05:15 PM
don, let me know if he will be there as soon as you know. if he does attend i'll come out and have him measure me for a love#3. where is the show this year?

swoop

noel, at vegas dario said he was coming to the show.

SoCalSteve
10-25-2006, 05:18 PM
I may have to go to teh show to see:

Dave Kirk

Richard Sachs

Dario Pegoretti

Probably doesnt get much better than that, huh?

Steve

NAHBS
10-26-2006, 07:56 AM
I may have to go to teh show to see:

Dave Kirk

Richard Sachs

Dario Pegoretti

Probably doesnt get much better than that, huh?

Steve

Sure it does Steve, let me show you.

Bruce Gordon
Brian Baylis
Paul Sadoff
Marschall from Germany!
Peter Mooney
Kent Eriksen
Steve Potts
dont forget Don Walker :D
Verbal commitment from Serotta as well.
and many, many more...its like an epic movie...most all the stars are in it.
Theres even a rumor floating around that Alberto Masi is attempting to attend. :banana:

DW

NAHBS
10-26-2006, 07:58 AM

swoop

Sorry, missed this until now.

San Jose, Ca.
Super easy to get there.
Book your flight to SJC and room at the Airport Clarion.
The info is on the handmadebicycleshow.com website.

DW