PDA

View Full Version : Flat to Rolling Routes in Denver

der5092
06-20-2018, 01:23 PM
My wife and I are visiting Denver in July. I am looking for suggestions for relatively flat to rolling routes of say 15 to 40 miles. Thank you.

bocobiking
06-20-2018, 01:57 PM
When I lived in Denver, I used to enjoy riding from Confluence Park to Brighton and back. I’m assuming you know Denver a little.

Start by the flagship REI store down at the Platte River, where it intersects with Cherry Creek. Take the paved Platte River Greenway bike trail northeast all the way out to 88th Avenue where you will exit the trail. Find Riverdale Road, a right turn just a little north of where you exited.

Continue northeast on Riverdale Road as it parallels the Platte River, a really nice road. Riverdale will deadend at Highway 7, 160th. Go east on 7 a little way into the town of Brighton. Return the same way.

This is a ride of approximately 40 miles, maybe a little more. It’s all on the greenway trail and Riverdale. It is in the Platte River valley the whole way, so it is pretty flat.

kmac
06-20-2018, 02:16 PM
When I lived in Denver, I used to enjoy riding from Confluence Park to Brighton and back. I’m assuming you know Denver a little.

Start by the flagship REI store down at the Platte River, where it intersects with Cherry Creek. Take the paved Platte River Greenway bike trail northeast all the way out to 88th Avenue where you will exit the trail. Find Riverdale Road, a right turn just a little north of where you exited.

Continue northeast on Riverdale Road as it parallels the Platte River, a really nice road. Riverdale will deadend at Highway 7, 160th. Go east on 7 a little way into the town of Brighton. Return the same way.

This is a ride of approximately 40 miles, maybe a little more. It’s all on the greenway trail and Riverdale. It is in the Platte River valley the whole way, so it is pretty flat.

as a current (albeit part-time) denverite, the platte trail is one i do use often. a few words of caution, though:
- this time of year in the denver area, the river trails can have a serious gnat problem, depending on wind direction. some days it's so bad, it feels like people throwing fistfuls of rice into your face every 100 feet or so. it's not always like this, but make sure to wear eye protection (some wear bandanas to cover mouths and noses, too)
- the section of the platte immediately north of downtown has gotten a little "gritty" as of late. it's only the first 2-3 miles or so, but you'll likely encounter a lot of people on the trail who aren't quite sure where they are -- regardless of the time of day you're trying to ride

that being said, if you're cool with the gnats and don't mind a couple miles of zombies, the section closer on toward thornton/brighton has recently been extended. you can stick with the path all the way -- about 22 miles in one direction.

note that the platte does also go from downtown at confluence park to the south. while it does suffer from the same gnat problems, i find it to often be a more scenic route. there's a lot of industrial stuff on the section north of the city, but a bit less of it south. also note that the southern end terminates at chatfield state park, which can be a nice destination.

another great choice is the cherry creek trail -- which also happens to start at confluence park. i've found this one has less of the gnats and feels more like the southern section of the platte. it will head down to cherry creek state park, and you can take it beyond that, but then you're getting into a higher mileage day. like chatfield, the park here is a great destination with some low-stress roads to ride on and nice woodland areas.

enjoy your visit! don't forget the sunscreen and LOTS of water. it's dry up here

velofinds
06-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Not going to get much flatter than #1 on this list:

https://www.strava.com/local/paths?parent_region=us&region=denver&activity_type=cycling

Doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, either -- still a perfectly fine ride.

Rule of thumb: stick to the trails. Those are mostly nice and flat.

http://www.walkridecolorado.com/by-location/denver-metro-colorado

deluxerider
06-20-2018, 02:25 PM
The Cherry Creek and Platte river routes would basically be out and back routes. The Platte River trail heading South will take you to Chatfield Park. There an back would probably be around 35/40 miles.

You can always do laps at Wash Park as well.

biker72
06-20-2018, 03:00 PM
High Line Canal Trail. Probably need a little wider tire in spots. This trail goes forever and is almost flat. Cherry Creek Trail is really nice too.

Hellgate
06-20-2018, 03:07 PM
High Line Canal Trail. Probably need a little wider tire in spots. This trail goes forever and is almost flat. Cherry Creek Trail is really nice too.Good call. When I used to run that was my main training route.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jaybee
06-20-2018, 05:17 PM
C-470 bike way is rolling and avoids a lot of the bug issues near the river trails.

Of course, one side of your view is always a major Highway. .

likebikes
06-20-2018, 09:25 PM
head east

biker72
06-21-2018, 09:06 AM
The C-470 bike way connects with the Platte River Trail, the Highline Canal Trail and a few more. Get a little tired of the traffic close to the C-470 you can jump on to one of the other trails.

der5092
06-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks so much all of you for the great suggestions.

Ralph
06-21-2018, 02:11 PM
When you are new to an area, I think nice trails are a good way to get an area figured out. Or just to avoid traffic. Grades are usually easier also. I'm a fan and appreciate a nice wide smooth trail system. We have them here also. Denver has an excellent system which gets busy at times.

kmac
06-21-2018, 03:02 PM
sorry i hadn't thought to include this before. it's a nice overview of the trail network in the greater denver area.

der5092
06-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Thank you Ralph and Kmac. Much appreciated.

velofinds
06-22-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm a fan and appreciate a nice wide smooth trail system. We have them here also. Denver has an excellent system which gets busy at times.

As a New Yorker who calls Denver home away from home and rides these trails sometimes, this just reads funny to me :)

p nut
06-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Good suggestions above, but I would really check out all of the awesome routes to the West. Even if it means renting e-bikes.