PDA

View Full Version : TIME MTB pedals - differences?

d_douglas
06-20-2018, 01:01 PM
per my WTB/WTT ad in the Classifieds, I am wondering if anyone can comment on the differences between the MX2 and MX4 pedals?

These are obviously the cheap ones on the Time continuum, but as I have had good experience with cheap Shimano pedals, I assume that Times will be the same as well.

Are the bearings/seals and release mechanism the same quality and the MX2s are just heavier with cheaper/uglier materials? I wish I could get the bling ti spindle/carbon-y ones, but I simply cannot do it financially, as I need to buy several pairs in order to transition from Shimano to Time.

Thanks for any advice...

572cv
06-20-2018, 04:58 PM
DD, I don't know this part of the line, but I have different ATAC versions, one on each bike. The old lozenge style ones, the original I think, are still working just fine. They can be found on the bay and sometimes on the paceline, pretty cheap. These have been great pedals for me, just the right amount of float and plenty of durability. GLWSearch.

pakora
06-22-2018, 12:21 PM
The biggest difference in my experience is that the actual cleat/clip interface's shape is round steel on some (the cheaper ones) and angular and squared off on others. Most recently (this spring) I bought a couple of (cheaper) Link pedals and they have the rounded bars.

The feel is pretty different. The former are easier to clip into and have freer float, and last virtually forever. Because the float is free, cleat wear doesn't substantially change the feel.

The latter have a more secure clip (and maybe have adjustable spring tension?) but are very sensitive to wear, both for subjective feel and unexpected declips. I found I could only use them with brand new cleats and got rid of the two pairs I had. I even when only a little worn I could feel the cleats moving laterally and in one case (with very old cleats on commuter shoes) slid sideways and ended up clipped in in an awkward position i couldn't unclip from.

(You might say "duh change your cleats more often" but in the olden days SpeedGoat and other places sold filed down Time cleats because people so preferred the completely effortless clip in/out that resulted in with the older pedals.)

https://www.ucycle.com/merchant/2856/images/zoom/50-0918-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

vs

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61HGNwGqWTL._SL1000_.jpg