PDA

View Full Version : Silca - Overated Marketing Hype (my experience)

thp
06-19-2018, 11:40 AM
So much for precision quality tools. Ball ends are poorly finished, and look at that extra metal. Torx are all bowed 5mm.

First I tried the 'affordable' pump, only to have to change parts out or risk it blowing up. Seals fail all the time, but at least they're replaceable.

Second I tried the HX-Two. Worse finish and quality than any $25 set of Wera or Wiha i've used.

Gonna need to stop now before a 3rd time.

Response was "This very small amount of material as well as the bend on the T-wrench would not affect this use and performance of the tool and is overall not a manufacturing or material defect."

skouri1
06-19-2018, 11:51 AM
I honestly dont think the tools look that bad.
but I also, like you, would have sprung for a WERA or some other mark, rather than a bike specific set.

The seals failing on pumps, I agree, is unforgivable when Topeak and, in my experience, Zéfal make such a terrific and reliable product.

dbnm
06-19-2018, 12:15 PM
I've been using the same $50 Bontrager bike pump for at least 5 years with no issues whatsoever.

Bob Ross
06-19-2018, 12:19 PM
The seals failing on pumps, I agree, is unforgivable when Topeak and, in my experience, Zéfal make such a terrific and reliable product.

Topeak, reliable!?!?!

I love Topeak's customer service, they replace everything that breaks no questions asked. The problem is, everything I buy of theirs breaks!!!

FlashUNC
06-19-2018, 12:28 PM
Couldn't have had a more different experience with Silca. Everything I've had from them is top shelf and worked more or less flawlessly. The one time I did have an issue, it was rectified immediately.

saab2000
06-19-2018, 12:31 PM
A buddy has the tool roll/seat roll with the boa. The boa keeps loosening so he has to attach it with an old leather toe strap.

I don't have any Silca stuff, but his seat bag doesn't inspire confidence.

macaroon
06-19-2018, 12:40 PM
A quick glance at their website suggests lots of marketing bollox. I avoid most cycling brands due to this.

It doesn't take much to get hold of a decent hex wrench, and you don't need some fancy wooden case to store it in. Unless you're paying rock bottom prices, most tools work just fine, providing you use them correctly. Same goes for bikes aswell, really!

thp
06-19-2018, 12:42 PM
I have mostly Wera now (in love with their cyclops, and the joker is super nice in tight spaces like an espresso machine). This was a fathers day treat and I was looking forward to it, being marketed as quality and precision first.

But fit and finish wise it's worse than all my Wera allens/torx. The tool holder plastic has significant plastic flash and the holes aren't sized to have a consistent hold to the tools. I mean, if you can't even mold a good tool holder, ***...

I honestly dont think the tools look that bad.
but I also, like you, would have sprung for a WERA or some other mark, rather than a bike specific set.

yinzerniner
06-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Topeak, reliable!?!?!

I love Topeak's customer service, they replace everything that breaks no questions asked. The problem is, everything I buy of theirs breaks!!!

True to that, still in the process of getting another minitool after I broke one taking off pedals. It's the third tool of theirs I've broken by hand, so after the warranty replacement I won't be purchasing any more.

As for pumps, $15 Schwinn for the win!

Seamus
06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
A buddy has the tool roll/seat roll with the boa. The boa keeps loosening so he has to attach it with an old leather toe strap.

Isn't one of the pluses about Boa dials, aside from the minute increments/tightness, that they are fully replaceable and have a 100% warranty? Has he contacted Boa for a replacement?:

https://store.theboasystem.com/warranty.php

R3awak3n
06-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I don't have a lot of silca stuff because it is expensive. My only experience is with an impero which I think is very nice. Good looking, well built but I do actually think my topeak master blaster is a better pump.

As far as these tools, I never got it, why would you not want a T handle. Its just a superior design

martl
06-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Highly doubt Silca make those allen wrenches themselves.
I'd say OEM stuff, most likely upeer-end far-east, not terrible but not top either and possibly not worth the premium for carrying that brand name - if i look at the surface quality of the blank bits (yuck!!!)

No contest for a Wiha, Wera, Stahlwille, Gedore, Hazet, etc

No idea about their pumps, i have a few imperos on classic bikes for the looks and always carry a modern minipump when riding them...

MattTuck
06-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Highly doubt Silca make those allen wrenches themselves.
I'd say OEM stuff, most likely upeer-end far-east, not terrible but not top either and possibly not worth the premium for carrying that brand name - if i look at the surface quality of the blank bits (yuck!!!)

No contest for a Wiha, Wera, Stahlwille, Gedore, Hazet, etc

No idea about their pumps, i have a few imperos on classic bikes for the looks and always carry a modern minipump when riding them...

Not knowing a lot about tools, what makes the Wiha (and others) better?

Better actual metal to begin with? better casting/forging process? better finish work? better QC?

martl
06-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Not knowing a lot about tools, what makes the Wiha (and others) better?

Better actual metal to begin with? better casting/forging process? better finish work? better QC?

all of the above, which finish the easiest one to check as a buyer.

This is how quality tools are made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vMMzHiphw (FF to about 1:30) for german quality or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtcYB-mW6i0 for alternative quality from the US :D

This is a Wiha (compare the smoothness of the six planes):
https://kctoolco.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/lkey.jpg

Silcas expertise was with pumps/plastic until they were sold to the US to other plastic people (and from the outside, i'd say little else than the name passed the big pond). I see nothing on their "about" self description that says anything about expertise in forging etc. and i highly doubt anyone would spend the money building such a factory today, in the US, for the limited market of cyclists. We're talking a few millions of investment here.

vqdriver
06-19-2018, 01:49 PM
yep

Silca - Overated Marketing Hype (my experience)

saab2000
06-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Isn't one of the pluses about Boa dials, aside from the minute increments/tightness, that they are fully replaceable and have a 100% warranty? Has he contacted Boa for a replacement?:

https://store.theboasystem.com/warranty.php

Not really worth the trouble. I'd just send it back if it were mine. A boa closure is a gimmick on something as simple as a saddle pack.

I cut the native velcro straps off mine and use some $.25 velcro straps as it's far more secure than the usual ones that come on most seat bags.

Not a huge fan of the Silca tool roll, but that's just my opinion.

I do have the new Silca chuck on a pump of mine and it's quite nice, so not all of their stuff is just marketing based. It's a really nice piece.

Steve in SLO
06-19-2018, 02:26 PM
I have a Silca T-shirt. It has performed flawlessly.

Seamus
06-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Not really worth the trouble. I'd just send it back if it were mine. A boa closure is a gimmick on something as simple as a saddle pack.

Fair enough, I've just had a really easy dial-replacement claim (form filled out online-->new dial sent, 2 minute fix), albeit on a pair of shoes. Seems easier than a return/exchange to Silca even, but other's mileage may vary.

timsmcm
06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
I have an old silca track pump I bought in 75. It's had 2 leather pump seals and 1 head rubber. I have worked the shyt out of it. If the new ones are half that good, that's entertainment value.

azrider
06-19-2018, 02:50 PM
I bought Silca pump used few years back and immediately had to replace few seals. Called, and the rep said he'd send replacement parts asap (free o' charge). Couple of days later the parts arrived and then I got a call from same rep a few days after that asking how install went.

They got a customer for life from that.

thp
06-19-2018, 03:19 PM
I was trying to be nice and e-mailed them about the tools, assuming it was missed in QA, etc, since it's a newer product. Tried to give them the benefit. Instead they just passed it off as it's good, don't like it? just return it.

Was really hoping it was a fluke, but it seems it's business as usual for them.

Customer reps response seems to be hit or miss, they just missed for me.

I bought Silca pump used few years back and immediately had to replace few seals. Called, and the rep said he'd send replacement parts asap (free o' charge). Couple of days later the parts arrived and then I got a call from same rep a few days after that asking how install went.

They got a customer for life from that.

Gummee
06-19-2018, 03:25 PM

That's a boa issue. Have your buddy contact them and they'll send out a new dial/wire kit

I've got the same roll. Works like a champ.

The allen wrenches strike me as being made by the same people that make Pedro's sets.

M

Pierre
06-19-2018, 04:05 PM
I've used the same Silca pump since 1988 and have replaced the inner seal twice and the end fitting once. Works flawlessly. They don't make s&*t like the used to.

GonaSovereign
06-19-2018, 05:33 PM

I like Silca stuff, but I've observed the same thing on a friend's bag. Replaced with a Vélocolour tool roll. Boas are dumb.

Dave
06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
I nothing about today's Silca. If I want Allen wrenches, I get them at harbor freight or home depot.

I do have a silca pump that I've been using since the early 1980s. I've replace the leather plunger once. I still have a spare that I probably bought 15 years ago, but never used.

nobuseri
06-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Bought a few Silca items including the mini impero. Works great. The EOLO wasn’t top notch quality, but decently made. The first one they sent me had a loose zipper handle. Replaced it ASAP and told me to keep the original one.

The Ti ratchet/torque wrench setup works great. A bit bulky for me to carry on rides with the usual tubes and such. At home or carry to a race, it’s fine.

As mentioned before, the t-shirts I bought are still holding up. :beer:

I think the most expensive thing I bought was the mini pump and it supposedly has a “no questions asked” type warranty. That’s worth it to me because the minute I even think it’s faulty, it’s going back for replacement.

I keep an eye on them for sales. I somewhat like to think the owner picked up the brand partly due to nostalgic reasons, and I am doing what I can to support that angle.

OtayBW
06-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Another big fan of their floor pumps since the mid-80s. That said, yes - they are all about marketing hype nowadays, IMO.

SoCal Al
06-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Bought a few Silca items including the mini impero. Works great. The EOLO wasn’t top notch quality, but decently made. The first one they sent me had a loose zipper handle. Replaced it ASAP and told me to keep the original one.

The Ti ratchet/torque wrench setup works great. A bit bulky for me to carry on rides with the usual tubes and such. At home or carry to a race, it’s fine.

As mentioned before, the t-shirts I bought are still holding up. :beer:

I think the most expensive thing I bought was the mini pump and it supposedly has a “no questions asked” type warranty. That’s worth it to me because the minute I even think it’s faulty, it’s going back for replacement.

I keep an eye on them for sales. I somewhat like to think the owner picked up the brand partly due to nostalgic reasons, and I am doing what I can to support that angle.

Would second a ot of this too. I started with their small canvass seat roll (holding up well) then added their velcro strap, mini tool, Impero pump over the last 2 years. I busted out for the hex kit & t-shirt last holiday and it's good, not as good as some of my Kowa stuff from Japan but I guess I'm OK with supporting the business. Besides, it's not like I'm using the tools a lot on the bike. Wrenching MX bikes is a totally different animal though!

djg21
06-19-2018, 09:20 PM
I bought a new Silca pump recently after my 30 year-old Silca track pump finally rusted out. The new pump is very nice and should last a long time. I did buy a hiro pump head for it that I used for a few weeks before needing a new seal. It stopped holding on to the valves of my Vittoria latex tubes. The new-style oem brass head seems to work better. As for tools generally, my Park tools work fine and last forever.

pdmtong
06-20-2018, 12:17 AM
At Sea Otter the past two years I have spoken to the guy who works for BOA that worked with Josh on the premio roll

The BOA is designed so you can CRANK on it and the teeth will not fail.

If there is an issue, I would send the whole thing back to SIlca and ask for a new one. I have no interest or tolerance in learning how to re-string a BOA system

Gothard
06-20-2018, 02:23 AM
https://www.werkzeuge-tools.ch/index.php?language=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86bHwNrh2wIVx4bVCh0IrwRnEAAYAiAA EgIjnvD_BwE

There. Screwdrivers and Allen keys better than Hazet and Stahlwille. And I *love* Hazet and Stahlwille.

chiasticon
06-20-2018, 06:58 AM
haven't had issues with the tool roll but have two friends that have. one lost the entire contests of the roll. whether it's user error or not, I have no idea. I do see a lot of people mounting them backwards...

wasn't super stoked on the Impero Ultimate. for one, any pressure higher than 80psi is quite difficult; way more than with a Topeak MasterBlaster or even a Lezyne Road Drive. for two, even though I used it once within the year I had it, the leather seal gave way and I was told I needed to fork out $6 for "pump blood" to re-treat the leather seal and that this would be required yearly-ish. for a pump that kinda sucks anyway? nah. the pump does look great though, and is otherwise built quite well.

other stuff of theirs has been mostly good. sliding T-handle wrenches are awesome. as is the Ti torque ratchet set. the Super Pista Ultimate has been awesome overall (and is quite a pleasure to use, even), though the gasket fails WAY too fast, especially on threaded valves. it works great while it's alive, though...

Avispa
06-20-2018, 07:12 AM
This is similar to what you see happening with most web based “solutions” and startups....

You read the story of Silca and how the name was sold, correct?

Well, if you did, then you know you are not buying from the good old Italian company, you are just buying the name and cheap Taiwanese/Chinese tools and the kind of support you are going to get is what you mentioned in the first place... “The tools are good”...

If you want a tool that going to last you, do like others have mentioned, get tools that are not made for the bike industry, with the exception of some items from Park Tool or Pedro’s.

I personally use mostly Snap-on or Craftsman. Never had a return, never had a tool fail...

Mikej
06-20-2018, 07:19 AM
That $180 bag looks GOOD though!

earlfoss
06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
I have been very happy with my Superpista Ultimate. I bought it, I use it, and it never gives me any guff.

Blown Reek
06-20-2018, 09:44 AM
I have been very happy with my Superpista Ultimate. I bought it, I use it, and it never gives me any guff.

I too have been very happy with my SuperPista Ultimate, but the gauge has had to be warrantied three (!) times due to not holding air. It seems the fourth time is the charm, though.

Wayne77
06-20-2018, 10:13 PM
A Bluetooth mini pump. Seriously? Maybe I’ll hold out for a Bluetooth integrated version of their seat roll.

...I owned the Premio seat roll for a couple months then sold it. Clunky, over-engineered, and heavy. The fabric is nice, but there’s way too much material in relation to the storage you get. I can get to my stuff in a traditional saddle bag in a fraction of the time it takes to loosen the BOA, pull it between the seat rails, unsnap the snapper thingy, unroll the roll, get what I need, roll it up again, threaten the BOA strap through the seat rails, untangle it because it will get tangled, align the strap again, twist the BOA, re-snap the snapper etc.

I agree with others...the BOA dial is a gimmick in this application. Adding Bluetooth to a mini pump just takes the gimmickry to a whole new level.

While the pumps are obviously well made, I think the point of the OP is about the state of things today...as opposed to the past.

cmbicycles
06-20-2018, 10:29 PM
...I owned the Premio seat roll for a couple months then sold it. Clunky, over-engineered, and heavy. The fabric is nice, but there’s way too much material in relation to the storage you get. I can get to my stuff in a traditional saddle bag in a fraction of the time it takes to loosen the BOA, pull it between the seat rails, unsnap the snapper thingy, unroll the roll, get what I need, roll it up again, threaten the BOA strap through the seat rails, untangle it because it will get tangled, align the strap again, twist the BOA, re-snap the snapper etc.

Anytime you have to threaten something on your bike, it's not a good day, or not a good product. ;) Sounds like it's appropriate rather than a quirky auto correct.

MattTuck
06-20-2018, 10:43 PM
I think that is just the nature of the industry today, especially with social media. Easy to hit the "like" button on something that looks (superficially) cool, but that you don't necessarily have any real experience with, or ability to discern its quality (or other performance metric).

cadence90
06-20-2018, 10:51 PM
.... ..

Wayne77
06-20-2018, 10:53 PM
Anytime you have to threaten something on your bike, it's not a good day, or not a good product. ;) Sounds like it's appropriate rather than a quirky auto correct.

Nailed it. Yeah I noticed the auto correct too, and was about to fix it...but yeah maybe threaten is an appropriate term here :)

Wayne77
06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
<edited>

...I still think a Bluetooth enabled pump is pretty funny. ;-)

joosttx
06-21-2018, 01:38 AM
I was just thinking more about that Silca Bluetooth pump. Why stop there? -there are so many more opportunities to move mini pump technology out of the dark ages:

- Find My Pump. If you loose your pump on the trail, use your Silca phone app with convenient pump GPS locator to help you find the pump in that bush 5 feet away. If you still can’t find it use the app to have the pump play a sound so you can echo-locate it. This is especially handy for locating your pump in one of your dishonest friends jersey pockets.

- Pump selfie stick. It expands another 5 feet with a clip on the end to attach a smart phone or GoPro so you can capture those wonderful “look at how unintentionally hot I look while pumping up a tire” moments for Instagram.

- Social network integration. When you deploy the pump it conveniently posts a Facebook message and geo location. Example: “Wayne just got a flat at <location>. Don’t worry! He is ok! Using his Silca Tattico mini pump, Wayne pumped his tire to EXACTLY 92.3 PSI, and is now on his way again. Click here to see his location. If you too are tired of pinching the tire to verify “yup the tire seems to have lots of air” click here to purchase.

Ill take capitalism and innovation over the alternative. I know you have forum to criticize people who execute their visions but think about the alternative. In other words, think about the alternatives to what I mention. I think that has ended up into oligarchies. I am ok with criticism but it sounds like you are criticizing simple because you can and have a forum to do so. In my opinion that is pretty lame to do without acknowledging the attempt, courage and passion to innovate. Try a more positive way of showing objections and steer innovators to the correct path. Should not that be the charter of the customer?

Sorry to get so deep and singling you out but there is a lot of negativity on this thread.

Wayne77
06-21-2018, 01:50 AM
Ill take capitalism and innovation over the alternative. I know you have forum to criticize people who execute their visions but think about the alternative. In other words, think about the alternatives to what I mention. I think that has ended up into oligarchies. I am ok with criticism but it sounds like you are criticizing simple because you can and have a forum to do so. In my opinion that is pretty lame to do without acknowledging the attempt, courage and passion to innovate. Try a more positive way of showing objections and steer innovators to the correct path. Should not that be the charter of the customer?

Sorry to get so deep and singling you out but there is a lot of negativity on this thread.

Just having some fun...good points though. Didn’t mean for it to come out mean spirited. Thanks for the respectfully stated points.

joosttx
06-21-2018, 02:19 AM
Just having some fun...good points though. Didn’t mean for it to come out mean spirited. Thanks for the respectfully stated points.

word, I owe you a beer next in SLC.

chiasticon
06-21-2018, 06:46 AM

I agree with others...the BOA dial is a gimmick in this application. Adding Bluetooth to a mini pump just takes the gimmickry to a whole new level.gimmick or not, the BOA dial, and the overall design of the Premio, makes it the best tool roll I've used. I've tried the Rapha one, the hipster Yanco one, the VeloColour one, etc... the Premio just works better and cinches up tighter and more secure than the others. to me, at least. in other words: if you thought it was fumbly and finicky to work with, try those other ones.

tool rolls are not for everyone, for sure. if you get into your on-bike kit more often than once a season or so, you'll be annoyed by it.

R3awak3n
06-21-2018, 07:22 AM
gimmick or not, the BOA dial, and the overall design of the Premio, makes it the best tool roll I've used. I've tried the Rapha one, the hipster Yanco one, the VeloColour one, etc... the Premio just works better and cinches up tighter and more secure than the others. to me, at least. in other words: if you thought it was fumbly and finicky to work with, try those other ones.

tool rolls are not for everyone, for sure. if you get into your on-bike kit more often than once a season or so, you'll be annoyed by it.

Have not tried the premio buy have tried many others and some that you mentioned, the ILE is my favorite. You dont have to remove it from bike to get your stuff and that to me is a plus.

peanutgallery
06-21-2018, 07:26 AM
What if someone replaced all instances of "Silca" in this thread and replaced it with "Curt Goodrich" or "Zancanado"? Many would be tripping over each other to praise the genius of installing a BOA on a seat bag or putting bluetooth in a pump

Silca stuff is high end, and shamelessly so. Just like Rapha, no? Those are always good threads:) Current owner has quite a story, some interesting ideas and markets some unique products. He's a bike geek like most of us and probably reading this thread.

For the record, someone gave me the Allen kit in a wooden box as gift a while back and I kinda like it

benb
06-21-2018, 08:29 AM
What's wrong with being a little negative about a brand that has basically taken "a sucker is born ever minute" thing to heart of late?

Charging a fortune for sub-par tools and marketing them as the greatest thing ever is of course a good way to make as much money as possible. I hate to be too cynical but an awful lot of Italian brands in cycling seem to do this.

The Pedro's Allen wrenches are stamped "SNCM-V". This is apparently an alloy family. I have seen a few others stamped the same way (font, etc..) that I think are the identical wrenches. Whoever actually makes them they fantastic quality.. mine are close to 20 years old and I've been using them constantly that entire time and they have basically 0 wear/corrosion and have never rounded anything off, etc.. They've been abused plenty too, cranking on stuck cleat bolts and stuff like that. The plastic holder is actually very worn out. Logos long gone, entire surface scratched up to the point it looks like a different finish, etc.. it still holds the wrenches but it's funny cause it looks like new wrenches in an ancient holder.

If the guys at your shop don't need a 4X marked up set of wrenches and they get years out of use wrenching all day long why fall for it for home use?

I don't think you can make a comparison to custom frame builders since Silca is not making one off stuff custom for you, it's mass manufactured stuff.

saab2000
06-21-2018, 08:33 AM
What if someone replaced all instances of "Silca" in this thread and replaced it with "Curt Goodrich" or "Zancanado"? Many would be tripping over each other to praise the genius of installing a BOA on a seat bag or putting bluetooth in a pump

Silca stuff is high end, and shamelessly so. Just like Rapha, no? Those are always good threads:) Current owner has quite a story, some interesting ideas and markets some unique products. He's a bike geek like most of us and probably reading this thread.

For the record, someone gave me the Allen kit in a wooden box as gift a while back and I kinda like it

Big difference. Those guys make everything themselves. Most, if not all, Silca products are produced elsewhere. Not that it’s a bad thing and I’m certainly not hating on Silca. I merely commented on the boa seat bag because it defies the mantra of adding simplicity. Creates a more complicated product when simpler is usually better.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2018, 08:39 AM
With apologies to benb-
Charging a fortune for sub-par ____ and marketing them as the greatest thing ever is of course a good way to make as much money as possible. I hate to be too cynical but an awful lot of ____ ____ in cycling seem to do this.
Put many bike things and manufacturers here...
:)

benb
06-21-2018, 09:02 AM
With apologies to benb-

Put many bike things and manufacturers here...
:)

Yep. Almost all bike brands. Maybe the Italian ones just stand out to me because they are almost always super expensive.

And it's not necessarily an Italian thing in general, I'm not trying to pick on Italians, there are lots of Italian products that are fantastic and reasonably priced, or expensive but amazing value because the quality is so high. E.x. Bialetti makes a ton of amazing coffee products that are very reasonably priced and last forever. And I had a Dainese motorcycle suit that while expensive but was just unbelievable and wore like iron.

572cv
06-21-2018, 10:42 AM
gimmick or not, the BOA dial, and the overall design of the Premio, makes it the best tool roll I've used. I've tried the Rapha one, the hipster Yanco one, the VeloColour one, etc... the Premio just works better and cinches up tighter and more secure than the others. to me, at least. in other words: if you thought it was fumbly and finicky to work with, try those other ones.

I can second this sentiment. The flexibility of a seat roll, but secured with the BOA strap, makes this a winner. It is not hard at all to remove or replace.

I also have found that the little torque wrench set is the best travel tool set I have used for putting a bike back together.

Finally, customer service has treated me fairly, on the one item I had to return.

FlashUNC
06-21-2018, 11:03 AM
The Boa on the premio means I don't have the rattle of some giant plastic buckle against my seat rails and post (which is an issue with some other bags out there), and slim enough to slide through rather tight spaces on some posts (I'm looking at you weird WR Composti on my Pegoretti).

Doesn't shake loose or grab at clothing like a velcro closure would.

Buy what you like I guess.

macaroon
06-21-2018, 02:09 PM

:-D

Wonder why? Cos Silca are selling **** products?!?!?!

cadence90
06-21-2018, 02:22 PM
.... ..

macaroon
06-21-2018, 02:31 PM
An "awful lot"? :confused:
Name even one, please.
Because, even if Silca is as guilty as you charge, Silca is not an Italian brand.

I am not "defending" Silca per se; don't care either way; just advocating for accuracy when making such accusatory statements.

Those new Colnagos....

MattTuck
06-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Yep. Almost all bike brands. Maybe the Italian ones just stand out to me because they are almost always super expensive.

And it's not necessarily an Italian thing in general, I'm not trying to pick on Italians, there are lots of Italian products that are fantastic and reasonably priced, or expensive but amazing value because the quality is so high. E.x. Bialetti makes a ton of amazing coffee products that are very reasonably priced and last forever. And I had a Dainese motorcycle suit that while expensive but was just unbelievable and wore like iron.

Check out this gem, Bastion x Carswell Tool Roll (https://shop.cyclingtips.com/a/tool-kits/bastion/bastion-x-carswell-tool-roll-loaded/5433)

$478....

but don't worry.

For faulty products, Bastion offer a 14 DAY REPLACEMENT WARRANTY, from the date you receive your product. They do not offer a satisfaction guarantee on any of their products, however due to their high level of customer service, they will always endeavour to keep customers happy and satisfied.

R3awak3n
06-21-2018, 02:45 PM
I have to say, the TI torque wrench kit is very good.

cadence90
06-21-2018, 03:00 PM
.... ..

glepore
06-21-2018, 03:30 PM
I discovered, while on the road and in need of a 4mm allen, that my Italian Army tool from Silca was assembled with 2 3's and no 4. GRRRRR:butt:

joosttx
06-21-2018, 03:36 PM
:-D

Wonder why? Cos Silca are selling **** products?!?!?!

<like>

peanutgallery
06-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the assist in making my point. Products are products and marketing is marketing. It's all just a way of making a living

Big difference. Those guys make everything themselves. Most, if not all, Silca products are produced elsewhere. Not that it’s a bad thing and I’m certainly not hating on Silca. I merely commented on the boa seat bag because it defies the mantra of adding simplicity. Creates a more complicated product when simpler is usually better.

rounder
06-21-2018, 10:59 PM
I have fallen for the marketing and bought a few Silca items over the past few years, but hardly use them.

But have a Silca pump from about 1990 with wooden handle that I still love. Replaced the head a few times and now has a Hirame. Replaced the gasket a few times. Works great. The pump still connects me to things I like about bikes...good design, works forever.

macaroon
06-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Huh? :confused: :rolleyes:

I just saw on another forum, some QC issues. They kinda seem a bit shonky compared to the competition. Same kinda thing with Willier and Bianchi. Pinarello look pretty decent though.

cadence90
06-22-2018, 12:09 PM
.... ..

macaroon
06-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Seriously?
Your "evidence" for Colnago being a company that is (per the other guy's words, with which you apparently agree)
"charging a fortune for sub-par tools and marketing them as the greatest thing ever is of course a good way to make as much money as possible"
is simply
"saw on another forum, some QC issues"; "kinda"; "seem"; "a bit"; "shonky"; and then "kinda", again? :confused:

This is a joke, right?

Well, you've gotta admit, Colnago have left themselves well behind everyone else with their latest frame.

Where're the aerodynamics? The integrated cockpit? The hidden cabling? The light weight?

I guess they added a square face to the seatpost though!

El Chaba
06-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Seriously?
Your "evidence" for Colnago being a company that is (per the other guy's words, with which you apparently agree)
"charging a fortune for sub-par tools and marketing them as the greatest thing ever is of course a good way to make as much money as possible"
is simply
"saw on another forum, some QC issues"; "kinda"; "seem"; "a bit"; "shonky"; and then "kinda", again? :confused:

This is a joke, right?

...The internet at its worst....

cadence90
06-22-2018, 12:31 PM
.... ..

martl
06-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Well, you've gotta admit, Colnago have left themselves well behind everyone else with their latest frame.

Where're the aerodynamics? The integrated cockpit? The hidden cabling? The light weight?

I guess they added a square face to the seatpost though!

Each brand plays their role in this market, where real technical advantage (as in "one that actually noticeable improves the riding experience/performance") happens every 20 year or so. One could argue that the Italians at least have so much realism as not to make too big a serious deal out of the advantages of bent seatstays as others do of their integrated cockpits and aerodynamically improved fork crowns.
If you want the next step of technology and engineering, real or perceived, deliverd with some engineering self-righteousness, turn to Cervelo or Canyon or one of the small innovators - when i was still interested in that kind of stuff, Spin, or Calfee, or Parlee or such
If you want that bit of italian flair and extravaganza sold as progress with a self-ironic wink, go to Colnago or Pinarello.

thp
06-22-2018, 02:24 PM
:beer:

Maybe my expectation were elevated because of Silca's comments:
http://theradavist.com/2018/05/silcas-travel-hx-two-travel-kit/
https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/22/silca-hex-hx-two-three/

But they did go out of their way to say these tools are supposed to be good, and such I had those expectations going in.