PDA

View Full Version : Classified Sales Time Record? Selle An-Atomica

trophyoftexas
10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
WOW, saw that B-17 come up and before I could even push the "enter" button it was SOLD! Man, got aced on that one! Well, after missing that one I did a little saddle research and came upon Selle An-Atomica..."like Brooks but better" is the sales pitch! Anyone out there with any experience with these? Considering something traditional in leather for the first time, been riding Selle Italia Flites and/or Max Flites for 2-3 years and pretty happy with both but I'm starting to work on a couple of new frames and want to at least consider something a little more (NO, NOT GOING TO SAY RETRO!!!) TRADITIONAL looking (how's that?).....Mike

timto
10-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I bought my first titanico in the summer - and just got a second one now. I can honestly say no other saddle is like the anatomica titanico at all. The effect of the cut out is really more like a hammock than a normal saddle with a cut out.

The titanico looks like a brooks style seat with a cut out but it is very very different in behaviour. Because it behaves like a hammock it doesn't have a 'break in' period if that makes any sense - you just sit on it, it conforms to you and away you go. You feel suspended when you sit on it and there is no pressure point because your butt feels cradled vs perched on top. It's really quite amazing. I got one for my wife. They have a more long, thin profile than a brooks style too which is pleasing to my eye - esp on a modern road machine. Another neat thing is since it is so supple, when you pedal you don't feel like you are resisting against your seat - it just moves 'with' you when you pedal. Harder to describe for sure...

Because I'm vain I'll leave the modern seats on the 'fast' bike but I would like it to find a permament home on a rigid 29'r style city / commuter / touring machine. I have a feeling it will end up on the modern road bike full time. I'll try post a pic later on. They are really THAT GOOD.

Tim

SadieKate
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone is looking for reviews since interest in this saddle is on the upswing:

I just put a Selle Anatomica on a singlespeed that I use for night training of under 35 miles. It is super comfy for this. I'm seeing a growing number of converts and the rando folks seem to be latching onto the saddle.

It does have modern rails - 10 cm fore/aft adjust-ability.

Downside is that the watershed Titanico weighs a freakin' 470 grams. I'm running through my stockpile of Avocet saddles so I'll be looking for a new one for my long distance road bikes. I'm not ready to put such a boat anchor on these bikes, but the singlespeed is more of an aesthetic effort for short and flat winter training rides. We'll see what happens though if I can't find a lightweight replacement for the Avocets.

SoCalSteve
01-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I bought my first titanico in the summer - and just got a second one now. I can honestly say no other saddle is like the anatomica titanico at all. The effect of the cut out is really more like a hammock than a normal saddle with a cut out.

The titanico looks like a brooks style seat with a cut out but it is very very different in behaviour. Because it behaves like a hammock it doesn't have a 'break in' period if that makes any sense - you just sit on it, it conforms to you and away you go. You feel suspended when you sit on it and there is no pressure point because your butt feels cradled vs perched on top. It's really quite amazing. I got one for my wife. They have a more long, thin profile than a brooks style too which is pleasing to my eye - esp on a modern road machine. Another neat thing is since it is so supple, when you pedal you don't feel like you are resisting against your seat - it just moves 'with' you when you pedal. Harder to describe for sure...

Because I'm vain I'll leave the modern seats on the 'fast' bike but I would like it to find a permament home on a rigid 29'r style city / commuter / touring machine. I have a feeling it will end up on the modern road bike full time. I'll try post a pic later on. They are really THAT GOOD.

Tim

It may be pleasing to the eye, but is it wide enough for my 48 year old tushy? I am intrigued by the design concept. Anything that could improve on perfection (Brooks B-17) is worth considering....

Also, I love that they turn Brooks saddles into "their" design with the cut out....Any comments, opinions, thoughts on having that done?

Thanks,

Steve

Dustin
01-27-2007, 03:16 AM
"Also, I love that they turn Brooks saddles into "their" design with the cut out"

It used to be the case that they were simply remanufactured brooks saddles, but the new ones are in fact their own design with a different shape in the rear and longer, modern saddle rails (which, if you've ever had a hard time getting enough setback on the short-railed brooks, is really helpful).

I just started with a Titanico about a week ago. I'm still fine tuning the tension, so I'm holding off judgment until I get some more miles on it. So far so good though.

timto
01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Whoops. Double post see below.

timto
01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
When I originally placed my order it was for both his/hers seats for my wife and I. The brooks re-model was intended for me and the titanico was for my wife. Well the titanico made such a huge impression on me I returned the brooks version for another titanico. The brooks is still a very hard seat but by comparison the titanico was a hammock.

I'm not that heavy though at 165 and did need to increase the tension quite a bit. I haven't had the saddles long enough to gauge longevity. Due to the hammock effect you end up raising your seat to compensate. Also one needs to be wary of seat posts that are tall above where the saddle rails sit - this is hard to describe but for instance the new ritchey post and campy posts and USE aliens don't have much metal above where the post clamps the saddle. This is good. I tried mounting a titanico on my wifes bontranger mtb post of unknown age and clunky design and the saddle could be made to bottom out on long bolts and tall post head. We tested before heading out luckily. It would work great on a thompson.

Overall an impressive seat and comfortable in a much different way than any other seat and I've tried lots too. You're in a sling vs being perched on a several inch wide ridge (other seats). ALso the seat moves WITH you when you pedal. It is really neat. Here is a seat mounted to my blurr at the start of the transrockies.

timto

davep
01-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I put one on my brevet bike and only have about 500 miles on it, but so far so good. Longest ride on it has been 200k, but I usually only have problems on longer rides. I'll have a better idea after my 300k next weekend.

Tom Kellogg
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
If anyone is interested, we have a B-17 Honey that we have by mistake. Long story.

SoCalSteve
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
If anyone is interested, we have a B-17 Honey that we have by mistake. Long story.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear your "long sory"...

Please enlighten us.

72gmc
01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I was oblivious to the Selle An-atomica. Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

And Tom, your long stories are always welcome. Not least because you have one of the best avatars on this forum.

onyourleft
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
I've had e-mail exchanges with Tom Milton of An-Atomica, and he's recommended the Titanico LD Watershed Clydesdale for me, I guess because of my fairly long rides and +/- 195 lb. weight.

The Brooks Swift I have now doesn't fit me so well. I actually got along much better with the shape of the Brooks Pro, but that one rubbed the inside of the cheeks somewhat.

Wish Brooks would make a model with the shape of the Pro/Team Pro and the width of the Swift or B17N, and Ti rails.

I've also tried the B17N and Colt. The B17N was OK, but wanted to sag in the middle too much and flare the skirts, but now they have the "Laced" version so that would help. The Colt was just not right at all for me.

Tom Kellogg
01-29-2007, 02:16 PM
You all remember your third grade spelling teacher's memory trick for spelling assume? Well, I just made an "A** out of me." I had assumed that my customer wanted the saddle that we first talked about when he ordered his bike. Mistake. Anyway, that is the short version of the story. If anyone is looking ...

mitchel@century
01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
You all remember your third grade spelling teacher's memory trick for spelling assume? Well, I just made an "A** out of me." I had assumed that my customer wanted the saddle that we first talked about when he ordered his bike. Mistake. Anyway, that is the short version of the story. If anyone is looking ...
So, you have a honey B17 for sale? PM me.

willy in pacifi
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
I did a search for this seat so thought I would chime in.

I have been riding one for about 4 months and wanted to wait until I had a few rides on it to chime in. I had been using a Brooks Swift the past few years on my brevet/commuter bike and had 2 600k's as well as a few rides down the CA coast.

A few weeks ago I did back to back weekends riding a 400k and 600k. On the 400k the seat was perfect and my butt was fine, whereas, usually it would be a bit sore.

The next weekend I rode a 600k and my butt came thru in fine shape. Not perfect but I think I have to attribute some of that to the 400k the weekend before.

One thing I did notice is that when my butt was a bit sore at the end of the 600k the An Atomica was much easier to get back onto. Being flexible made it easier to sit back down on than the hard Brooks. Once your butt gets sore I don't think any hard saddle is going to help, whereas, this made it easier to sit back down on as well as staying seated.

Willy in Pacifica

SoCalSteve
06-01-2007, 03:25 AM
I purchased a Titanico from the company a few months back. I so wanted to LOVE it as it is much more modern looking than a Brooks and it has a much better rail system.

After a few hundred miles or riding it, adjusting it, fine tuning it...I went back to my beloved B 17 Ti railed saddle. For my sensitive (and big) tush, there is nothing like my B 17.

Steve

PS: Its for sale, Titanico watershed in black.

mcteague
09-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I purchased a Titanico from the company a few months back. I so wanted to LOVE it as it is much more modern looking than a Brooks and it has a much better rail system.

After a few hundred miles or riding it, adjusting it, fine tuning it...I went back to my beloved B 17 Ti railed saddle. For my sensitive (and big) tush, there is nothing like my B 17.

Steve

I just tried a Titanico as well and sent it back. It seemed too wide for me, the "skirts" would rub my inner thigh on every pedal stroke. Also, the cutout seemed to hold me in place and prohibit slight position changes. Even with adjustments to tension, saddle height and angle I could still feel the edges of the cutout. With high tension the back felt great but the cutout caused discomfort. Reducing tension caused it to flare out in the back. Oh well.

Tim McTeague

Ahneida Ride
09-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Steve

I question the Titanico design for us Clydesdales. My 250 lbs posterior
just might cause too much flex. I broke in the B17 Ti in no time, about 200
miles.

And the Titanico is narrower then a B17. Good for Clydesdales ????? :confused:

Setve was so right about the B17 Ti. Great Saddle!

SoCalSteve
09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I question the Titanico design for us Clydesdales. My 250 lbs posterior
just might cause too much flex. I broke in the B17 Ti in no time, about 200
miles.

And the Titanico is narrower then a B17. Good for Clydesdales ????? :confused:

Setve was so right about the B17 Ti. Great Saddle!

Who?

Just askin'

Steve

whitecda
09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
I just sold a Titanico just this evening. It sounded so good in theory, but it was just a touch narrow for me. I was constantly back on the rivets to get the width, so that negated the comfort of the split. I prob have a strange @$$, because so many folks love them. I tried all adjustments from loose to tight, and couldn't get comfy. I did one last century on it last weekend and barely made it through....was sitting pretty high by the time I got done. Used it for nearly 1k mi, and decided that was enough.

BarryG
10-01-2007, 06:23 AM
It's important with the Selle Anatomica to get the saddle back further on the rails and sit further forward than you would normally imagine. Other than perhaps a B-17, it's the only saddle I find comfortable over the distance.

RABikes2
10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I rode with the president/owner (developer) of Selle An-Atomica on Interbike's Tour to Lake Mead this past Tuesday . Tom and I had a lengthy discussion regarding his saddle. My history and the fact I've ridden over 15,000 miles on two noseless saddles in the past two years, combined with Tom's design specifications and knowledge for his saddle made for a good exchange of each other's research. Later on that day, I was demo'ing a beautiful Colnago. The bike was sweet, but the saddle absolutely sucked. Tom retrieved one of his Selle An-Atomica from the car and put it on the Colnago and we went for a short ride. He adjusted the tension a few times. The saddle was nice, but before passing judgment, I'd have to ride it on a few longer rides to make any decision.

I rode with Tom and his buddy, Paul, both randonneurs from California during the morning's ride. They both finished PBP ' 07 in under 84 hours. Tom stated everybody that did PBP on his saddle this year, finished with no saddle complaints.

RA

whitecda
10-01-2007, 08:27 AM
It's important with the Selle Anatomica to get the saddle back further on the rails and sit further forward than you would normally imagine.

I made small changes then a long ride and adjust accordingly per the Co info sheet. I had the best luck with the adjustment screw almost all the way out, making the saddle as tight as possible, and it still wasn't right (for me). I'm not bashing it...I think it's a great idea. Just saying it didn't work for me, and I had very high hopes this would be the "one"!

Ahneida Ride
10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Who?

Just askin'

Steve

STEVE !!!! STEVE !!!!!!!

Sorry for the typo ....

mcteague
10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep, I tried that too. Then the "boys" hung uncomfortably off the front. I made small changes then a long ride and adjust accordingly per the Co info sheet. I had the best luck with the adjustment screw almost all the way out, making the saddle as tight as possible, and it still wasn't right (for me). I'm not bashing it...I think it's a great idea. Just saying it didn't work for me, and I had very high hopes this would be the "one"!

I really wanted it to be "the one" as well. At first Tom was helpful with setup suggestions but by the 3rd e-mail he started making me feel as if I was the problem as it could not be his saddle. After all he developed it over many miles and years or whatever. I don't expect any product, especially saddles, to work for everyone but he should have just left it at "sorry it didn't work for you" instead of getting testy with me.

Tim McTeague

malcolm
10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
RA what saddle do you ride? My wife is currently on a saddle quest. She is using predominately using a brooks womens saddle, but still has some issues with it. Thanks, Malcolm

SoCalSteve
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I really wanted it to be "the one" as well. At first Tom was helpful with setup suggestions but by the 3rd e-mail he started making me feel as if I was the problem as it could not be his saddle. After all he developed it over many miles and years or whatever. I don't expect any product, especially saddles, to work for everyone but he should have just left it at "sorry it didn't work for you" instead of getting testy with me.

Tim McTeague

I had the same "testy" Tom over a different issue. I sent him an (one) email regarding shipment of a saddle I purchased...He wrote back saying not to inundate him with emails as he is a small company, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I called him and he was very "testy" with me saying I sent him many emails (I sent him one) and that he would get back to me with whatever my original issue was...

Anyway, didnt feel like great customet service to me and in the end, his saddle (no pun intended) didnt feel great either and I sold it.

Your results may vary,

Steve

tiger
10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Tim McTeague
Same experience here. The saddle is OK, but not the nirvana he claims. Definitely doesn't make you feel welcome if it's not working out for you.

willy in pacifi
10-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I rode with Tom and his buddy, Paul, both randonneurs from California during the morning's ride. They both finished PBP ' 07 in under 84 hours. Tom stated everybody that did PBP on his saddle this year, finished with no saddle complaints.

RA

I rode with Tom for the entire first day of PBP a couple months ago. I have a Sella An Atomica Watershed on my bike and after a few thousand miles I cannot imagine going back to my Brooks. The Brooks are sitting in my garage if anyone is interested in a Black Swift or a brown B-17.

Before the SAA I was using the swift and it would get to me by the end of a 600k. I felt the only thing that would keep me from completing PBP would be an injury or my butt. Up to PBP I had only ridden the SAA as far as a 600k but with great success so I flet I had the right saddle for my first 1,200k. I didn't know if it would get me thru PBP but if any saddle would I figured this had the best chance.

Well after over 760 miles my butt felt fantastic and my wife will verify this : ) Not only was it over 760 miles but over half of those miles the saddle or my butt was wet. I cannot think of a better proving ground than this years PBP.

I do not know of anyone who has not been thrilled with it but I would guess it may not work for everyone. I am just so happy that this one big issue has been solved for me.

I think there are two holly grails of long distance cycling. One is the comfortable saddle and the other is a waterproof jacket that is breathable. Well I think I have the saddle half figured out but still looking for the jacket.

Willy in Pacifica

SoCalSteve
10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I rode with Tom for the entire first day of PBP a couple months ago. I have a Sella An Atomica Watershed on my bike and after a few thousand miles I cannot imagine going back to my Brooks. The Brooks are sitting in my garage if anyone is interested in a Black Swift or a brown B-17.

Before the SAA I was using the swift and it would get to me by the end of a 600k. I felt the only thing that would keep me from completing PBP would be an injury or my butt. Up to PBP I had only ridden the SAA as far as a 600k but with great success so I flet I had the right saddle for my first 1,200k. I didn't know if it would get me thru PBP but if any saddle would I figured this had the best chance.

Well after over 760 miles my butt felt fantastic and my wife will verify this : ) Not only was it over 760 miles but over half of those miles the saddle or my butt was wet. I cannot think of a better proving ground than this years PBP.

I do not know of anyone who has not been thrilled with it but I would guess it may not work for everyone. I am just so happy that this one big issue has been solved for me.

I think there are two holly grails of long distance cycling. One is the comfortable saddle and the other is a waterproof jacket that is breathable. Well I think I have the saddle half figured out but still looking for the jacket.

Willy in Pacifica

There have been a few people in this thread (including me) who are not "thrilled " with them or Tom..I am sure there are plenty more who have tried his saddle and not been "thrilled".

I've said this time and again, saddles, gloves, pedals, shorts and shoes are all such personal things as we are not all created the same.

Steve

fiamme red
10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
There have been a few people in this thread (including me) who are not "thrilled " with them or Tom..I am sure there are plenty more who have tried his saddle and not been "thrilled".

I've said this time and again, saddles, gloves, pedals, shorts and shoes are all such personal things as we are not all created the same.

StevWho?

Just askin'

fiamme red

:p :rolleyes: :) :D

SoCalSteve
10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Who?

Just askin'

fiamme red

:p :rolleyes: :) :D

Too funny!

Fixed!

STEVE

willy in pacifi
10-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Stev

I said in my previous post "I do not know of anyone who is not thrilled with the saddle". I guess I should have said I do not know anyone who is not thrilled with it. I did not say everyone is thrilled with it and of course I do not know you. But those I know who use it, and that is in the dozens, say it is better or at least no worse than their previous best saddle.

But when it comes to ultra, ultra long distance cycling like 600k's and rides like PBP you need to have a comfortable saddle or suffer. If you can ride a saddle for over 700 miles without any discomfort than you have found the saddle for you. But if you cannot get thru pain free whatever distance you consider long (50 miles on up) than spending the money on any saddle is well worth the chance especially since the SAA has a money back policy if you do not like it. The saddle is about $150 which is immaterial if it helps you enjoy what used to be an unenjoyable issue.

Willy in Pacifica

rasterdogs
10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I bought a non-slotted version of this saddle from Rivendell a few months ago. After riding it ~500 miles I had used up all the range on the adjustment bolt. I liked the saddle well enough that I tried lacing it but it just got too stretched out.

I contacted Tom Hinton and Selle An-Atomica replaced my saggy saddle with a new one of my choice.

My replacement saddle is the slotted 'Clydesdale' version and is very comfy. Thus far it seems not to require as much tension on the adjuster bolt as the previous one did. I really want this to work as this saddle is at least as comfortable as my Brooks Pro.

-JimD

whitecda
10-02-2007, 04:37 AM
I can't complain about customer service. I had 2 rivets pull out on the first one I got. Was promptly replaced with even a call from the factory in Wisconsin. I even passed back and forth several E-mails before I bought, with no hassle.

I just couldn't get it right. For my backside, I wish it was just ever so much (maybe 5-7mm or so) wider at the rear. The front was great with no thigh rubbing, and I think I was pretty close on the getting the tension set. But I needed just a little more width to support my fine @$$. :D

Ahneida Ride
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Too funny!

Fixed!

STEVE

Tahkns Fhammmin Redd !

Ahneida Ride
10-02-2007, 10:31 AM
I bought a non-slotted version of this saddle from Rivendell a few months ago. After riding it ~500 miles I had used up all the range on the adjustment bolt. I liked the saddle well enough that I tried lacing it but it just got too stretched out.
-JimD

I've used up 1/4 turn on my Brooks. Still have the whole bolt left.
At this rate, the saddle should last 20 years.
By that time they will be 3000 frn.

mcteague
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, guess there is nothing new under the sun. Early version of the Selle An-Atomica? Champion Split Flyer saddle from: http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

Tim McTeague