PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Boulder when you're not dead?

Bob Ross
06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
The missus and I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO next month. Never been. tbh the only reason we're going is that numerous friends and family have told us "Oh, you guys would love Boulder!"
...but they haven't explicitly told us why.

So -- besides visiting Vecchio's, obviously -- what's good to do in Boulder CO? Any must-see places or events?

We'll be in CO to do the Triple Bypass, so we'll have our bikes with us and we definitely want to check out the road riding near Boulder. Any good routes we should do, or local clubs we should hook up with? We also like other outdoor activities, so if hiking or rafting or building huts out of mud and twigs is de rigueur, give us the inside scoop please.

We're also foodies, so we'll be looking for excellent cuisine. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Does have to be on the quiet side though.

Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?

Hook us up, yo! Thanks.

ColonelJLloyd
06-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Obviously a steak and shot of rye is in order.

stien
06-17-2018, 08:03 PM
Small town, lots of very good food in the immediate area. Riding is amazing as you know. Rent mtbs for a day and go carve.

Source: we used to only take riding/eating vacations. Baby on the way has changed things a little!

cadence90
06-17-2018, 08:09 PM
.... ..

berserk87
06-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Excel Sports is a cool place to visit. University of Colorado campus is nice. There are some pretty hip restaurants in the old downtown area. There are some nice hikes that take you to heights above the city, that offer great views.

Rocky Mountain National Park is not terribly far away, I don't think. I hiked there and loved it.

If you are willing to drive a bit, the US Air Force Academy is in Colorado Springs. If you like to visit bike shops, Colorado Cyclist is there, too.

When I visited Boulder I didn't get to ride. I did observe a lot of road cyclists about, many on "dream" bikes that you would only see in catalogs back then I did see several pros training there - some US Postal dudes and guys from other teams that are now defunct. As you can tell by the US Postal mention, it's been a few years since I've been there

nmrt
06-17-2018, 08:15 PM
I see you're from NYC. I lived in Philly before I moved to Boulder about 10 yrs back.

But I have got to laugh -- Culture? In Boulder? Bwaha hah hah hah

Seriously, after roaming the east coast (NYC, Philly, DC), I find the culture and food in Boulder to be seriously lacking. I do not mean to come off as a snob but my experience has been that compared to the plethora of ethnic cultures and the absolutely delicious foods that the east coast has to offer, Boulder's offerings are abysmal. Sure there are some nice neopolitan pizza places but nothing really to rave about. I mean, I would never say -- "Go to Boulder and eat at "this" place". Especially to someone who is from NYC. Yeah, you could go to "Pizzeria Locale" and they have good pizza. But nothing really, as I have said, to write home about. I feel the same can be said of many fancy/expensive restaurants.

I used to frequent a chocolate shop in SoHo called MarieBelle for their gelato -- worth dying for and served only during the summer, at least while I was there. When I came to Boulder, I visited their best (according to yelp) gelato places. Meh...really? Boulderites rave about this?

Anyway, I will stop now because I have come across as a snob. At least a food snob. Also, I did not come to live in Boulder for food, anyway. So, I would suggest that you do not have high expectations.

Now having badmouthed my beloved city (for it's food), this is, as you are aware, a place for sublime outdoor adventures. I revel in any outdoor activity I partake in from frolicking (running/hiking) in the Boulder mountains, road biking to a myriad different places all along the foothills (not to mention access to other rides nearby within driving distance), and few mountain biking places. I am sure many others will chime in on what these are. If not, I'd be happy to PM you, if you'd like.

So, come and enjoy our city, it's open spaces, and the mountains. Just keep in check, your expectations for food and culture. :)

The missus and I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO next month. Never been. tbh the only reason we're going is that numerous friends and family have told us "Oh, you guys would love Boulder!"
...but they haven't explicitly told us why.

So -- besides visiting Vecchio's, obviously -- what's good to do in Boulder CO? Any must-see places or events?

We'll be in CO to do the Triple Bypass, so we'll have our bikes with us and we definitely want to check out the road riding near Boulder. Any good routes we should do, or local clubs we should hook up with? We also like other outdoor activities, so if hiking or rafting or building huts out of mud and twigs is de rigueur, give us the inside scoop please.

We're also foodies, so we'll be looking for excellent cuisine. Doesn't have to be too fancy. Does have to be on the quiet side though.

Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?

Hook us up, yo! Thanks.

Bradford
06-17-2018, 08:44 PM
...Culture? What's Boulder have to offer?...

The Colorado Shakespeare Festival (https://cupresents.org/series/shakespeare-festival/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSK-beEsq1lps1o_4peojwUUXpVmMQJWGWAjnlXKZ-1-H9R4aTsqZbIRoC1ewQAvD_BwE) is wonderful. We go to one or two shows a year and they have all been great. I've seen Shakespeare in many venues on three continents over the last 40 years and I like these productions more than any of the others, including Stratford. Just make sure you catch one of the outdoor shows in the Mary Rippon Outdoor Theatre. Shakespeare outdoors is always a treat, especially on a beautiful Colorado night. They are doing Richard III this year, which we will definitely go see, but only indoors. Evidently they were not in the giving vein with Dicky 3. But they are doing Love's Labour's Lost outside.

I caught Love's Labour's Lost on opening night two weeks ago and they did a great job, as usual. It isn't a play that has been produced frequently over the last 400 years, so see it when you can. If you go to Love's Labour's Lost, make sure you are there by 7:00 and sit through the prologue, a short lecture on the play that precedes the performance every night. I hadn't read the play in 30 years, so the refresher was welcome. And give yourself some extra time, the theater is in the open courtyard of an academic building and if you don't know the campus and where to park, it can take a bit of time to find it.

cadence90
06-17-2018, 08:47 PM
.... ..

cloudguy
06-17-2018, 09:02 PM
I find the culture and food in Boulder to be seriously lacking.

My wife and I (both uncultured hillbillies :rolleyes:) like to go to Jax fish house on Pearl Street. I know it sounds strange to mention seafood for this part of the country, but we like it, and others seem to as well.

As far as rides go, definitely check out Flagstaff, which has great views of the plains and Flatirons.

Bruce K
06-18-2018, 12:36 AM
As a tourist who wishes he could get out there more frequently, a day driving down to Colorado Springs (Air Firce Academy, US Olympic Center - if anything is going on), drive through Garden of the Gods, and then on to Manitou Springs (a cool town), and up Pikes Peak (drive if the weather is nice, take the incline railway if only OK but bring a warm coat either way).

That would be a Day well spent.

BK

Louis
06-18-2018, 12:42 AM
You have to check out RMNP

https://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/04/road-notes-cycling-americas-highest-road/

https://www.nps.gov/npgallery/GetAsset/024B2289-1DD8-B71B-0B07484C032BF19B/proxy/hires/

https://cdn.gearpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Trailridge-Road-Gear-Patrol-Slide-1-970x650.jpg

paulh
06-18-2018, 05:32 AM
I will also be out there for the TBP. A route we have done a few days prior:
Drive just out of Boulder north to Buckingham Park on Left Hand Canyon Drive. Go down the hill to 36. Up to Lyons. Up St.Vrains to Peak to Peak Hwy. To Ward. Down the hill back to the car. 48 miles over 4000 feet of climbing.

Ralph
06-18-2018, 06:43 AM
I agree with above......The Boulder of the 70's and 80's, that most of us tourists envision....doesn't exist anymore. To me....it's just another large, busy front range city. Just part of a larger metropolitan area. And just like other large cities.....sure there is a lot you can do. Pearl St still interesting to walk around.

If I went again to Colorado in mid to late summer, after all the roads get cleaned up after winter mess, with a bike.....would probably prefer to go to Frisco, Glenwood Springs-Aspen, or even Fort Collins.

Now if I had a career, family, and home there.....would love it. Just don't see it anymore as a tourist destination.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Boulder is great..OMG, not New York City!!!! But geez...
Mateos
Jax Fish House
Boxcar coffee
Sushi Zanmai
Japangos..
hard to go wrong
I KNOW it isn't NEW YORK CITY but not nutz to butts with millions of people either.

Rapha store(right down from Vecchio's)
Park at Vecchio's and walk down the mall to about 9th st. Always something to see.

Chautauqua park
Garden of the Gods(Colorado Springs..a truly weird city)
Manitou Springs
Drive or ride up to Jamestown or Ward
Boulder Falls
Nederland

Just off the top of my head..I know, it's not NEW YORK CITY..butb a nice, comfy, weird place..35 miles surrounded by reality..People's Republic of Boulder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxnieYctVM

likebikes
06-18-2018, 06:56 AM
skip boulder if you're looking for culture.

the outdoors are boulder's best quality. great hiking, etc. right outside your door in boulder.

NYCfixie
06-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Mosaic Cycles - Tour and meet the brother builders....and the dog.

simplemind
06-18-2018, 07:25 AM
And if you're into music...REDROCKS (https://www.redrocksonline.com) is so unique, and not too far away!

yakstone
06-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Outdoors is what it is all about.

Other top shelf food stops:
Arcana
The Kitchen Next Door
The Kitchen Upstairs

If you are looking for other good places to eat, Denver is a short drive.

Sure, its not New York but their are top shelf eateries.
Places to see / hang out - Avery Brewing is a fun afternoon.

Bob Ross
06-18-2018, 08:05 AM
after roaming the east coast (NYC, Philly, DC), I find the culture and food in Boulder to be seriously lacking.
I know, it's not NEW YORK CITY
Sure, its not New York

Just so we're clear: "Not New York" is a bonus in our eyes. My wife and I ****ing hate New York City.

NYCfixie
06-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Just so we're clear: "Not New York" is a bonus in our eyes. My wife and I ****ing hate New York City.

Say it ain't so...My wife and I ****ing love NYC and can't wait to get back to it.

I am waiting for the day when I can change my location from "NYC=>NJ=>Boston" to "NYC=>NJ=>Boston=>NYC (or NorCal)"

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Say it ain't so...

My wife and I ****ing love NYC and can't wait to get back to it.

NYC is gigantic..been there once..1985..NYC marathon..ran thru all the boroughs..very interesting...and paid $30 for breakfast on Saturday..1985, eggs and toast, nothing special..in 1985...:eek:

Hellgate
06-18-2018, 08:10 AM
What to do in Boulder...Visit Ft. Collins?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Yee-haw..bring yer 10 gallon, ****e kickers and shirts with those little pearl buttons..->:) Lotsa places to park yer horse.

sandyrs
06-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Haven’t actually moved yet but I’m moving to boulder in a few months. Based on my limited experience visiting I’d definitely point you toward Avery Brewing Company if it’s not already on your radar and you like beer. They have really good food too and you could incorporate it into a pretty solid, mellow road / gravel ride from downtown to gunbarrel and back.

NYCfixie
06-18-2018, 08:20 AM
NYC is gigantic..been there once..1985..NYC marathon..ran thru all the boroughs..very interesting...and paid $30 for breakfast on Saturday..1985, eggs and toast, nothing special..in 1985...:eek:

Got back late last night from a long weekend Denver family visit. Did not have enough time to make it to Boulder this trip.

Point being, Denver (and Boulder) ain't exactly cheap these days and the traffic is getting really bad.

Hellgate
06-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Yee-haw..bring yer 10 gallon, ****e kickers and shirts with those little pearl buttons..->:) Lotsa places to park yer horse.No, that's Cheyenne. [emoji38]

sandyrs
06-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Got back late last night from a long weekend Denver family visit. Did not have enough time to make it to Boulder this trip.

Point being, Denver (and Boulder) ain't exactly cheap these days and the traffic is getting really bad.

This from someone who lives in Boston and can’t wait to get back to New York...

Coming from Boston I didn’t even bat an eyelash at the traffic in Colorado. Or the prices.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Traffic can be an issue..nothing like being stuck on the 6 lanes in each direction, no movement at all at 11pm..on the '5' in SOCAL..everything is relative. Yup, I spent $142 the other night at a restaurant..course we had 7 people but still...
:)

oldpotatoe
06-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Traffic can be an issue..nothing like being stuck on the 6 lanes in each direction, no movement at all at 11pm..on the '5' in SOCAL..everything is relative. Yup, I spent $142 the other night at a restaurant..course we had 7 people but still...
:)

Don't want this to degrade to a NYC-Boulder debate..I like Boulder and it's weirdness..was here 4 years, left(USN)for 20 years, came back in 1993..not gonna move. NYC, interesting place to visit no doubt but it's NEW YORK CITY...

Kirk007
06-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Comparisons are in the eye of the beholder. Trust me if you come from a small town where MacDonalds and the truck stop diner are the choices and culture consists of high school drama acts then Boulder is a cultural and epicurean mecca. Maybe not so much if your standards are New York, Boston, DC, San Francisco , Seattle.

On the other hand if you grow up in aiplace like Boulder or Bend Oregon for example, where unbelievably good road riding, mountain biking, cross country skiing, climbing, riber running and fly fishing are literally right out your back door; when you land in Manhattan or the core of most big city, forget about it - those places suck by comparison.

All depends on what you are looking for and what your measuring stick is.

Gummee
06-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Ft Fun is a whole lot less pretentious. ...and has better beer!

I prefer O'Dell's over New Belgium.

M

gdw
06-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Ft Fun is a whole lot less pretentious. ...and has better beer

And Ft Collins even has ethnic diversity.

Boulder is an interesting place to explore by bike or foot. Ride the bike paths, hike or ride up Flagstaff, check out the trails between Chautauqua and El Dorado canyon, etc. If you want an adventure and a fun dining experience check out the Gold Hill Inn. The food is excellent and it's a great change of pace from the upscale outdoor mall that Pearl Street has turned into.

josephr
06-18-2018, 04:53 PM
traveled out to Denver a few years ago and really enjoyed our time along the front range....spent a little time in Boulder, but seems like Boulder is sort of central to everything that you can spread out a bit. New Belgium may not be your favorite beer, but its certainly one of the best tours around. I rented a mtn bike and rode 3 Sisters and couple of others...careful around RMNP during a weekend...found traffic there to take away from experience. When we were there, the forest fires limited us to certain parts of the park, which may have been a factor too. There's also the Stanley Hotel which is sort of interesting and the restaurant there was decent enough. The scenic drive thru red rock is great as well as the scenic drive to the south. Those are just a few of the memorable experiences we had there and really would like to go back some day and spend more time.

too many great restaurants....almost unfair to suggest any!

Coming from an area much closer to sea level, I'd say be mindful of your elevations and activity levels. Also, drink lots of water...if we weren't taking in a liter every 2-3 hours, we'd find ourselves getting quite grouchy.

campy man
06-18-2018, 11:00 PM

Great timing Paceliners :)

Heading to Ft Collins this week to check out CU & CSU with my son. Looking forward to checking out some of the suggested places to eat in Boulder.

Any suggestions for eating in Ft Collins? Best breakfast spot serving pancakes is ...?

cloudguy
06-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Great timing Paceliners :)

Heading to Ft Collins this week to check out CU & CSU with my son. Looking forward to checking out some of the suggested places to eat in Boulder.

Any suggestions for eating in Ft Collins? Best breakfast spot serving pancakes is ...?

Lucilles - but I'm not sure if they actually have pancakes. However, they do have French toast and beignets and biscuits - Creole style breakfast place.

campy man
06-18-2018, 11:41 PM
Lucilles - but I'm not sure if they actually have pancakes. However, they do have French toast and beignets and biscuits - Creole style breakfast place.

Beignets ... anything close to Cafe du Monde will be a winner :banana:

Jaybee
06-18-2018, 11:43 PM
Cafe Mexicana used to be really good breakfast burritos, but I was disappointed last time I was there by the service and the product. Would try again though, in case it was just a bad day.

pbarry
06-19-2018, 07:23 AM
The boulder Farmer's Market is a good outing, and has good street food available. The tamale stand is great. The Tea Room is next to the creek, within the bounds of the FM. Frasca, and their bistro next door, Black Cat/Bramble and Hare are a few more restaurants to check out. The Boulderado is always solid. The Dairy Arts Center often has indie and foreign films running. Yeah, a Red Rocks show would be memorable.. Enjoy your stay. :)

oldpotatoe
06-19-2018, 07:28 AM
The boulder Farmer's Market is a good outing, and has good street food available. The tamale stand is great. The Tea Room is next to the creek, within the bounds of the FM. Frasca, and their bistro next door, Black Cat/Bramble and Hare are a few more restaurants to check out. The Boulderado is always solid. The Dairy Arts Center often has indie and foreign films running. Yeah, a Red Rocks show would be memorable.. Enjoy your stay. :)

Yup..tour Celestial Seasonings too..beware the peppermint room..:)

pbarry
06-19-2018, 03:32 PM
A visit to Boulder is a good time to either pick up a new set of wheels from Peter, or chat with him about a new build. ;)

teleguy57
06-19-2018, 05:29 PM
Perfect timing on the thread. Arrived in Niwot this morning to visit some friends and ride a couple of days before my wife flies out Friday and we head into the mountains. Staying in Ft Collins the end of next week so interested in that too!

In Boulder check out Cured on Pearl Street, just a few doors down from the primary pilgrimage site where OldP used to hold court. Run by Will Frischkorn 2008 TdF breakaway instigator (https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121545467699833169) and his wife Coral. Euro-style charcuterie. You have to stop at University Cycles to see Andy Hampsten's Giro bike as well.

Gummee
06-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Perfect timing on the thread. Arrived in Niwot this morning to visit some friends and ride a couple of days before my wife flies out Friday and we head into the mountains. Staying in Ft Collins the end of next week so interested in that too!

In Boulder check out Cured on Pearl Street, just a few doors down from the primary pilgrimage site where OldP used to hold court. Run by Will Frischkorn 2008 TdF breakaway instigator (https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121545467699833169) and his wife Coral. Euro-style charcuterie. You have to stop at University Cycles to see Andy Hampsten's Giro bike as well.

I heard rumors that CO and WY were planning a bike trail from Ft Fun to Cheyenne. THAT would be a good thing.

Speaking of Cheyenne... Outside town is Curt Gowdy and Vedauwoo are fun places to ride mtn bikes. You can ride all the way to Lincoln's head!

M

nmrt
06-20-2018, 12:11 PM
+1
Peter built me a set of carbon mtb wheels. The way the bike handled definitively changed for the better once I put those wheels on.
I am itching to have him build me more wheels. Alas, I need no more.

A visit to Boulder is a good time to either pick up a new set of wheels from Peter, or chat with him about a new build. ;)

oldpotatoe
06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
+1
Peter built me a set of carbon mtb wheels. The way the bike handled definitively changed for the better once I put those wheels on.

Huzzah!! thanks for the kind words...

sandyrs
06-20-2018, 01:53 PM
+1

+1 literally the exact same story for me.

Bob Ross
07-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Finished the Triple Bypass (barely!) and got to Boulder today. It’s raining, so we scouted some RideWithGPS routes in the car. Quick question for folks familiar w/ the area:

Are these shoulder-less roads — e.g., Boulder Canyon Road, Lefthand Canyon Road, etc. — safe for roadies?

Hard to tell whether it was because of the rain, or common sense, but we didn’t see any cyclists so couldn’t get a feel for whether these were smart routes for experienced riders, or just places someone managed to ride and lived to tell about it.

Plenty of Share The Road signage, so at least that’s encouraging.

We were thing of taking Boulder Canyon Rd to Hurricane Hill to Peak2Peak Hwy to...uh...somewhere.

cloudguy
07-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Are these shoulder-less roads — e.g., Boulder Canyon Road, Lefthand Canyon Road, etc. — safe for roadies?

Definitely the rain keeping everyone inside. Lefthand canyon is fine shoulder-wise the whole way and is usually filled with roadies. Boulder Canyon is a little iffy in places shoulder-wise, but I ride it many weekdays during the year to get to Sugerloaf and Magnolia roads. Of the two roads mentioned, I would suggest Lefthand. Also, don't forget Flagstaff.

ps. Most people don't take Boulder Canyon to get to the Peak-to-Peak. Usually, its Lefthand or SH-7 out of Lyons.

Hellgate
07-15-2018, 09:01 PM
All good canyons, but go north to Rist, Poudre, and over Horsetooth to Masonville. Rist will get you to Masonville too. Poudre all the way to Mootsland.

And back in the day we did dirt on the top of Rist with 21mm road tires, 42x23, with rim brakes on a steel frame, sporting non-areo levers and with toe clips! How I'm alive is beyond me...

Ralph
07-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Yup..tour Celestial Seasonings too..beware the peppermint room..:)

One of our favorite places in Boulder area. Been there twice.

Peter P.
07-15-2018, 09:42 PM
The missus and I are taking a vacation to Boulder CO next month. Never been. tbh the only reason we're going is that numerous friends and family have told us "Oh, you guys would love Boulder!"...but they haven't explicitly told us why.

That's because your friends think you're stoners.

Bob Ross
07-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Most people don't take Boulder Canyon to get to the Peak-to-Peak. Usually, its Lefthand or SH-7 out of Lyons.

Ah, thanks. Question: from Boulder would you prefer a loop of Lefthand to P2P to SH-7 (Saint Vrains)...or the reverse?

Also, is there any place to stop for food & H2O in those areas?

Thanks.

cloudguy
07-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Ah, thanks. Question: from Boulder would you prefer a loop of Lefthand to P2P to SH-7 (Saint Vrains)...or the reverse?

Thanks.

I usually go SH-7 to Raymond to Lefthand; that loop has more sustained gradient than the reverse, owing to a steep 1-mile grade coming off the P2P down Lefthand in the town of Ward. Raymond and Ward both have little stores with food that cater to riders. Also, there is a spring-fed watering spigot on that steep grade in Ward (right around mile-marker 16 in the lower section of the town) that I normally fill my bottles at - the water flows out non-stop and is really tasty IMHO. Its on the left hand side of the rode if your going downhill. Note: before you turn off of the P2P to Lefthand (Ward) there is a right turn that goes up to Brainard Lake recreation area. They just paved that road and the views up there are well worth the effort, so I would recommend doing it if you have the energy. Its about an extra 1000 feet of climbing and bikes are free to go through the pay-station. Looks like a great day for riding tomorrow. Have fun.

oldpotatoe
07-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Finished the Triple Bypass (barely!) and got to Boulder today. It’s raining, so we scouted some RideWithGPS routes in the car. Quick question for folks familiar w/ the area:

Hard to tell whether it was because of the rain, or common sense, but we didn’t see any cyclists so couldn’t get a feel for whether these were smart routes for experienced riders, or just places someone managed to ride and lived to tell about it.

Plenty of Share The Road signage, so at least that’s encouraging.

We were thing of taking Boulder Canyon Rd to Hurricane Hill to Peak2Peak Hwy to...uh...somewhere.

Lefthand canyon, because of less traffic, is OK. Boulder Canyon, because of lots more traffic, be careful...Most locals expect bikes, touristas, maybe not.

oldpotatoe
07-16-2018, 06:54 AM

Thanks.

Lefthand to P2P to lyons then come down. Jamestown and also down from P2P, places to stop..bring a jacket or something. You'll need it coming down.

pncguy
07-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Also, keep in mind that the road from the Greenbriar Inn up to Ward is in excellent shape and has a huge shoulder because it has been rebuilt since the floods. For a good part of the ride there is enough room to ride two abreast and still be on the right side of the white line.

For some steep short climbs also look at Olde Stage and Lee Hill.

For flatter, but beautiful rides anything north/south between Broadway/36 on the west, County line road on the east, Highway 7 to the south and Hwy 34 to the north will be sure to please.