PDA

View Full Version : Bike storage / work areas - garage / basement...

ColnagoFan
06-17-2018, 06:19 PM
I think I may have posted something similar a while back, but a refresh is needed/wanted.

With some upcoming free time, I'm planning on organizing my garage, and dialing in my bike area a bit more than it is. I would like to hang by bikes vertically, to free up space. Many of the bikes have carbon wheels, some deeper than others. Is it ok to hang them by the typical hooks, or is something more fitting needed?

I'd love to see some pics of your garage or basement / storage/work areas / etc...

Looking to hang about 6 or 8 bikes between the entire family...

PNW
06-19-2018, 03:36 PM
I’d like to know as well.

junkfood
06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Bikes and tools on one wall of my art studio. There are some extra hooks to the left for extra wheel sets. Pretty basic setup of a 2 x 4 x 8 secured to a brick wall with shop hooks. Have bikes for my kids mounted in the garage the same way. Not the most attractive system, but functional

Jake

texbike
06-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Here's a thread with some great suggestions for bike storage:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=204537

Texbike

ColnagoFan
06-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Bikes and tools on one wall of my art studio. There are some extra hooks to the left for extra wheel sets. Pretty basic setup of a 2 x 4 x 8 secured to a brick wall with shop hooks. Have bikes for my kids mounted in the garage the same way. Not the most attractive system, but functional

Jake

This is sort of the direction I figured I'd end up with, but it's always good to see what other folks are doing. I have some deep carbon wheels and I guess I wasn't sure if they were ok to hang, I guess they should be as long as the hook is padded...

batman1425
06-21-2018, 10:33 AM
This is sort of the direction I figured I'd end up with, but it's always good to see what other folks are doing. I have some deep carbon wheels and I guess I wasn't sure if they were ok to hang, I guess they should be as long as the hook is padded...

I'd check with the wheel manuf to be sure before hanging them by the rim. My gut says it will probably be ok, but rims are not inherently designed to take compression load in that direction and some carbon wheel walls are mighty thin.